Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Flurry Heart an unnecessary character?

Nightfall Veilwing

On 1/23/2018 at 8:43 AM, Lambdadelta said:

Flurry is cute, she adds more dynamic to Sparkle family, you have to admit her existence develop Shining and Cadance character more than ever (Once Upon The Zeppelin). However, story-wise, she is unnecessary additions of the show, her birth gave us very interesting lore about Alicorn but they just dropped that plot and she is just no better than Baby Cake.

Yeah, she gave the show the best chance to expand the alicorn lore ever, but it's been wasted :dry: , AND THE SHOW IS PROBABLY ENDING SOON :( 

22 hours ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

she is just super cute...

Image result for flurry heart

just wait for the McFlurry Heart at McDonald's...

Image result for mcflurry heart

Watch out, I heard her diabeetus levels are high enough to kill by just looking at her :dash: 

• 3 weeks later...

I personally dislike Flurry, as they not only just had to make her an alicorn, but made her.. weird. Why are her wings and horn so big for her age? 

latest?cb=20160411140540 1217210_1368481581637_full.png

Look a Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

Now look at Flurry Heart.

latest?cb=20160328012933

HER HORN IS BIGGER THAN TWILIGHT'S!

350?cb=20151125231105&path-prefix=protag

Doesn't that bother you, that a baby has a bugger horn than a adult?

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I'm always astonished by how much people despise her when she has zero role in the show aside from being a funny baby. It's not like she's a main character or anything. 

It is an overreaction to be sure, especially considering by baby standards, she was incredibly well behaved in A Flurry of Emotions until the end. Aside from that, she has barely been in the show so I don't see any good reason to "hate her" She was very OP in the crystalling but that is in line with the show's lore. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see anything wrong with having Flurry Heart around as a character. I'm aware of the whole 'she's yet another alicorn' and 'we've got enough alicorns already' criticisms towards her yet I view her as a welcome addition to Twilight's family who acts just like a baby would in various circumstances. She's also not being shoved in our faces in that she has been used sparingly though this could change depending on what decisions are made behind the scenes.

On 12-2-2018 at 11:42 AM, sweetolebob18 said:

There are already Too Darn Many side characters & not enough episodes. Marketing is what drives the show which means new toys & new characters

Nothing wrong with to many characters I think. You only have to use them right and not making there apperances totally worthless. :)

Edited by Hierok, Scoffer of Music

15 hours ago, Hierok, Scoffer of Music said:

Nothing wrong with to many characters I think. You only have to use them right and not making there apperances totally worthless. :)

Nothing WRONG, exactly (if they're good characters). It's just that there isn't time to justice to them all. I'd like to see 

What happened to Little Strong Heart

What have Diamond Tiara & Silver Spoon been up to

Some of Zecora's back story

AJ's Manehatten relatives

Maybe AJ in a rodeo

Scootaloo's family (only 1 of the 10 primary characters that nothing is known of)

But, when would there be TIME for all this & more?  No, IMO there is an ideal size. Think of your favorite shows.  Maybe 4-6 or 7 characters & MLP has too many for a half hour show

• 3 weeks later...

i think McFlurry will be used more so for story telling rather than having a bugger role, like in later episodes she may be with Twilight helping her at the friendship school or maybe being a role model to possible younger siblings or the CMC. i don't think she's "unnecessary" but i would like more episodes of her to make her seem more like a returning character. 

I see nothing wrong with Flurry Heart on the show, just because she hasn't been on the show long, doesn't mean is unnecessary, she just needs some development. Like Spike, he's a needed character, they've developed him into a needed character and he's better.

Well, she is not a character that is totally useless for me; it actually shows us a little, even a little evolution in Shining's and Cadance's life: they went from young married ponies to parents. It may not seem much, but it IS an evolution, as meaningless it may look for some. And the character itself is just a chubby baby cute filly; I can't understand why people actually seem to hate her... because she is an alicorn? Sheesh, calm down...

• Brohoof 1

On 1/17/2018 at 10:01 PM, King of Canterlot said:

YES she is completely unnecessary in the series, I think she also ruined the rare-elite like status the Alicorns held too by just randomly being born an Alicorn for absolutely no reason. I mean before, you kinda had to earn your status as an Alicorn, well now you can apparently just randomly be born as one!

Flurryheart is just a bunch of bullshit that was only created to sell moar Alicorn toys. I would be happy if she was written right off the series tomorrow, because I've never liked her and I never will.   

Whoa dude! Much harsh, no tone of respect. Why the need to take out the whip with character opinion? Cadence is gonna send her guards out... :sneer:

On 1/17/2018 at 9:06 PM, Divine plywood said:

As Shooting Star stated, Flurry have been rather important in the past, showing new sides from both her parents and Twilight. I personally find aunt-Twilight adorable in 'A Flurry of Emotions'  , were we see her - established and familiar character - from completely new angle.

However, I can't see any more ways how Flurry Heart could bring something utterly new to the show without being repetitive. She have played her part as a plot device and comical relief, showed old characters from new viewpoints and satisfied audiences assumed appetite for cute babies - which we had two already, mind you...

In order to became new and interesting, Flurry Heart should grow from foal to older filly. This way she could became more active and interact independently. But given that shows current lifespan is coming to end, this seems highly unlikely.

I fear that writers will just ignore her until series finale, where ponies probably fight against yet another invincible monster. In the darkest hour, when everything is lost, she will rise like some kind of op pony baby Jesus, kick some tail and save the day. :P Hopefully not.

That last bit of the above quote was funny lol:lol:

On 1/18/2018 at 12:53 PM, Divine plywood said:

Flurry's character development seems overall little rushed, as like writers didn't initially plan to introduce her in this timetable and/or manner if even at all. This seems to be the case also when it comes to her parents. "Why hello Twilight, welcome to your brothers wedding! Uh, you know, Shining Armor? Character that everypony loves and we totally didn't came up just last week (buy our toys!)" After their marriage, baby was of course logical next step and even though I'm rather satisfied the outcome, I can't help wondering what was original concept for these three without Hasbro's meddling.

Maybe Flurry was just going to be an ordinary foal, presumably an unicorn? This way story could have concentrated more to her parents. As Alexander said above, she kinda waters down her mother...

I assume the reason why she was then made an alicorn is partially because we already had episode 'Baby cakes' in season 2 that is all about nursing infants. They wanted Flurry to stand out in a crowd.

But still, replacing unicorn and pegasus with alicorn isn't really a solution. It's just kinda lazy... :okiedokieloki:

It's Hasbro, what were you expecting from them and DHX? Convenient time-skips to give characters in the show an aged up look?

On 1/23/2018 at 7:08 AM, Jeric said:

Well, to be fair to his opinion, it isn't like he walked up to a real baby in a stroller, pointed, and shouted, "You shouldn't be here!" Flurry is just a character. No need to shame someone because they think a character limited their enjoyment of the show. 

As far as fanfiction, it isn't like that creative avenue is limited to what is and isn't on screen. Even if Flurry never materialized, it certainly doesn't prevent an author from generating a similar storyline. That couple in particular having a kid wasn't exactly a novel idea, nor is a young Alicorn character. 

Just remember, deep breaths and perspective, these are good to work on. 

That is ALSO true. If Flurry wasn't created in the show, someone could have just as easily created her or somepony similar to her for a story-line.

Flurry Heart is a BABY! She’s not gonna go on any crazy adventures or something, she’s probably not even a year old! :lol: So of course she can’t do any major things like that!

I personally think Flurry is very important to Shining Armor and Cadence’s arc, because it puts them in a parental role. This role has been built up for them since the wedding, and thanks to Flurry Heart, they are now parents. :) 

• Brohoof 2

Unnecessary, perhaps. But, until they come into creation, isn't every character unnecessary? And as for what Flurry Heart has accomplished for the show since her debut, as a result of her inclusion we've gotten to witness new and fascinating sides to Twilight, Cadence, and Shining Armor. Not to mention that it's revamped the latter two's story-arc and has kept them relevant in the long run. 

Is she/her inclusion in the show a game-changer? Definitely not. But I don't think that it adds NOTHING.

9 hours ago, Nosotros. said:

Flurry Heart is a BABY! She’s not gonna go on any crazy adventures or something, she’s probably not even a year old! :lol: So of course she can’t do any major things like that!

I personally think Flurry is very important to Shining Armor and Cadence’s arc, because it puts them in a parental role. This role has been built up for them since the wedding, and thanks to Flurry Heart, they are now parents. :) 

And as @Nosotros. rightfully pointed out, Flurry Heart, at least for the time being, is a BABY. She's not going to get into fights, politics or world-threatening conflicts.:grin:

• Brohoof 1