Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did the movie imply something about Starlight?

LordDiscord

For many of you may already know, Starlight's involment in the movie was left to cameo's( though she still got more screen time then Discord. I talk about that later) She appeared briefly in the opening and in the ending credits. Now after seeing the movies, I am confused as to what reason they have for not including her in the adventure with Twilight and her friends as I feel she could have added a sense of calm in keeping the Mane 6 under control instead of their seemingly panicked state they were in for most of the film, heck she may have even directly confronted Tempest head on to save Twilight. That leads into my point however, is this implying that Starlight is more power than even Twilight herself. I suspected she is equal to Twilight, even as an alicorn, but to be even more powerful. I mean, in most situations, in the series that had a big bad, Starlight had some involvement, yet here she was just forgotten about just like Discord. Now Discord I somewhat understand, why they did not bring him in, as if they did, they would have no excuse as to why he could not stop the Storm King, and they did not want a "Snap fingers and make everything better scenario" I understand that for Discord, but why was Starlight not included, she was clearly shown in the movie, yet was not a part of the conflict. Was their not enough budget to include her? Was their no un-neeed background pony she could have replaced, to have a bigger role? Or was she(like Discord) to powerful to justify her not stopping the Storm King, and if that is the case then they really need to do something about that. 

The movie was not bad, I just don't get why, sense they basically forced Starlight on us as the 7th member of the Mane 6, you would think she would atleast play some role in the first theatrical movie of the series.

Quick Edit: It appears Discord did make a cameo in the movie. After rewatching the end credits, he is seen dancing as Vinyl starts the music. Sneaky, DHX, very sneaky.

Edited by LordDiscord
  • Brohoof 1

Bear in mind that the film was a very large project and work on it would have began long before Starlight was a significant character in the series.  It would be easy enough to add a visual cameo or two into the film but the writing was probably well underway (if not already finished) before she really appeared on the scene.

I'm not a big fan of Starlight so naturally I don't feel that the film lost anything from not having her included, but from a more objective standpoint there were already so many new characters introduced on top of the mane 6 and other regular characters that including her in any real capacity would only have diluted the time available to the other characters, and that could potentially have been detrimental to the film as a whole.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 5

4 minutes ago, Concerned Bystander said:

Bear in mind that the film was a very large project and work on it would have began long before Starlight was a significant character in the series.  It would be easy enough to add a visual cameo or two into the film but the writing was probably well underway (if not already finished) before she really appeared on the scene.

Exactly this, it is likely her character hadn't been developed as much as it has now until long into the film's production. Had they started the film now maybe she would have at least had a speaking role. It's nice that they did at least slip in a cameo for her though.

• Brohoof 2

3 minutes ago, Concerned Bystander said:

That is actually a good point, I did not think of that. I assumed it started a little after season 5 started, or atleast by when it ended but if its been in development longer than that, then yes I can see why. Actually now that you bring that up, the way the Mane 6 acted felt very pre-season 4 final, as Twilight felt to insecure about her responsibilities then she does now, she did not feel like a Twilight that could be a teacher, so i guess, that's a good enough reason. Still though I wish she could have atleast did something, even if it was just a brief shot of her trying to fight the guards in Twilight and friends absence.

3 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

Exactly this, it is likely her character hadn't been developed as much as it has now until long into the film's production. Had they started the film now maybe she would have at least had a speaking role. It's nice that they did at least slip in a cameo for her though.

Yeah I did not think of that, though given certain information we can't really talk about, I am not certain that she will have a chance to appear a big movie before the series ends. And that is kind of saddening.

Just now, LordDiscord said:

That is actually a good point, I did not think of that. I assumed it started a little after season 5 started, or atleast by when it ended but if its been in development longer than that, then yes I can see why. Actually now that you bring that up, the way the Mane 6 acted felt very pre-season 4 final, as Twilight felt to insecure about her responsibilities then she does now, she did not feel like a Twilight that could be a teacher, so i guess, that's a good enough reason. Still though I wish she could have atleast did something, even if it was just a brief shot of her trying to fight the guards in Twilight and friends absence.

That why i am even more skeptical about the whole mane 7 that they're trying to accomplish in the show, they even put Starlight and Trixie have fun together, so at least they aware of S6 but they dont even bother let Starlight help Twilight anything in the movie or just anything useful in general (even Derpy will die for Twilight and Party Favor has dialogues) and they called this movie the S7 sequel? What a joke! That how they do the mane 7 in the show, really half-baked unlike EQG, or there is no mane 7 in the first place.

12 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

That why i am even more skeptical about the whole mane 7 that they're trying to accomplish in the show, they even put Starlight and Trixie have fun together, so at least they aware of S6 but they dont even bother let Starlight help Twilight anything in the movie or just anything useful in general (even Derpy will die for Twilight and Party Favor has dialogues) and they called this movie the S7 sequel? What a joke! That how they do the mane 7 in the show, really half-baked unlike EQG, or there is no mane 7 in the first place.

I am not really skeptical about it in the show, she gets a lot of attention in the show, I was just surprised she did nothing in the movie as I feel she could have been a good help at seeing the stress that Twilight was going through, and maybe even stopped her from taking the Hypogriphs magic orb.

I think it was due to the constrained budget the film had, they were already paying Sia hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars to have her and her song in the movie, not to mention all the other special guest VA's and the normal mane 6 VA's having to all get paid within a reasonable budget. I think when they crunched the numbers they decided to simply not give certain background characters any dialogue to simply save some money, and also because Starlight is only a secondary character who wasn't important to the plot of the movie, so it kinda makes sense that they wouldn't want to give her any dialogue if they don't have to (because again, that's just shelling out more money for little actual benefit or reason). 

I think pretty much the same thing could be said for Discord, but also because of the major in-universe reason he couldn't be in the movie, was well, ya know, he could snap his fingers and fix everything if he wanted to. The writers probably just decide it would be easiest to simply leave him out, and have an explanation for why he didn't appear in the events of the movie later on in the actual TV series (possibly season 8).   

6 hours ago, LordDiscord said:

maybe even stopped her from taking the Hypogriphs magic orb.

Maybe i am the only who think Starlight is the one who are capable of doing something like this as well as Twilight, she can see through Twilight stress and steal the orb by herself to help Twilight but seeing Princess of Friendship did something like that herself is more intriguing, afterall its the point of the movie.:P

Anyway, dont feel bad, Starlight still has a bug-horse to reform, just let her rest a little bit :muffins:

3 hours ago, King of Canterlot said:

I think it was due to the constrained budget the film had, they were already paying Sia hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars to have her and her song in the movie, not to mention all the other special guest VA's and the normal mane 6 VA's having to all get paid within a reasonable budget. I think when they crunched the numbers they decided to simply not give certain background characters any dialogue to simply save some money, and also because Starlight is only a secondary character who wasn't important to the plot of the movie, so it kinda makes sense that they wouldn't want to give her any dialogue if they don't have to (because again, that's just shelling out more money for little actual benefit or reason). 

I think pretty much the same thing could be said for Discord, but also because of the major in-universe reason he couldn't be in the movie, was well, ya know, he could snap his fingers and fix everything if he wanted to. The writers probably just decide it would be easiest to simply leave him out, and have an explanation for why he didn't appear in the events of the movie later on in the actual TV series (possibly season 8).   

Yeah, I kind of figured as much, I can understand, why, but I still wish she could have gotten some role bigger than the small cameos, she got. I mean, given the build up we have been getting with her character, it is obvious the writers wants her to be the 7th member of the team, so that should make her a main character now. Also I kind of expected Discord to not appear, and had already excepted it before going into the movie, I was just surprised that Starlight barley made it. Discord's powers would have made it complicated because, say the Storm King won, got the power and froze Twilight and her friends and Tempest. Discord would just appear, snap his fingers, the Storm King would no longer have control over the sun, moon or weather, as Discord would have that control now and then ultimately Discord would have mostly given the power back to save Fluttershy. And I am doubtful the Storm King would have been able to stop him. It seems, like the chances of us seeing Discord is higher if the villain is somehow more powerful than even Discord, or has some item that can negate his magic.

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, LordDiscord said:

, it is obvious the writers wants her to be the 7th member of the team, so that should make her a main character now

i agree i'm very sure they where holding off her being a mane character till after the movie came out so that they didnt have to change the movie

Spoiler

knowing what i know about season 8 from the leaks, she officially becomes the 7th, they even change the intro to reflect it and the few episodes that we're leaked had her interacting with the other 6 as the 7th

Edited by Jade Fire