Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bladed / Exotic Weapons Thread

Chigens and Kay

(edited)
i can tell you right now that katana is worth more than your ballisong that is probably a 150 dollars sword . looks like a United Cutlery UC3026 Honshu Isn't United known for over-priced wallhangers made of cheap and brittle stainless, or is that just their movie and TV replicas?

the United Cutlery UC3026 Honshu is a Tactical Wakizashi made out of  1060 carbon steel and i better to some people than the cas hanwei tactical wakizashi that cost 260$ and is made out of 5160 high-carbon spring steel blade that is  plasma coated.  United Cutlery make both really cheap swords that are trash and moive swords that are really good(Warner Bros and other big names ask them to both make swords for there moives and movie replicas).

they have Designed the real rambo knife the Hibben IV Machete which Sylvester Stallone wanted in the moive but was over ruled and the star trek klingon d'k tahg knife

the O-Katana was 299$ on sale and the highlander is a real sword(1045 steel). It was a gift and they guy gave me that sword because he work for the people who make swords for moives The One's from TrueSwords are real as well(I believe they run like $400 and even have Christopher and Adrain's respective signatures etched on the blades). Do you know which sword it is? Both Conner and Duncan has unique Katanas.

mines is the united cutlery Highlander Conner Katana(number 197 of 200)  and here is the link about it: http://www.unitedcutlery.com/ProductDetail.aspx?itemno=UC2593&cat=LC

I am on a sword form and it was a gift from one of it's members.

Edited by swordsman
  • Brohoof 1

I'm gonna get a picture of it, but my ex-gf (she's Chinese and Japanese), had her uncle carve and construct a Samurai Sword for my birthday and I gotta say, its a beauty.  Steel/Black grip, with Aqua lining, :D.  Even has "The American Samurai" carved on the blade in Japanese letters.

the United Cutlery UC3026 Honshu is a Tactical Wakizashi made out of  1060 carbon steel and i better to some people than the cas hanwei tactical wakizashi that cost 260$ and is made out of 5160 high-carbon spring steel blade that is  plasma coated.  United Cutlery make both really cheap swords that are trash and moive swords that are really good(Warner Bros and other big names ask them to both make swords for there moives and movie replicas).

they have Designed the real rambo knife the Hibben IV Machete which Sylvester Stallone wanted in the moive but was over ruled and the star trek klingon d'k tahg knife

mines is the united cutlery Highlander Conner Katana(number 197 of 200)  and here is the link about it: http://www.unitedcutlery.com/ProductDetail.aspx?itemno=UC2593&cat=LC

I am on a sword form and it was a gift from one of it's members.

That must explain it then. I have several cheap-ass knives and such around here branded United someone gave to me(I think most of them came from mail-order catalogs, the cheap kind you get for free like BudK)

Nice, I prefer Duncan's though. If I shelled out big money that's be the one I'd get. 

Um, I'm unsure what exact kind my knife/dagger is, but I got it at a con a year or two ago for around the 50 AUS dollar mark. I plan on getting more fancy shmancy weapons in the future, but right now I'll stick with the one dagger that I have.
post-15259-0-53622900-1399317775_thumb.jpg
post-15259-0-31490800-1399317797_thumb.jpg
And for size comparison, from the tip to the hoop it's from the top of my pinkie of my elbow. I also have a very messy room, you can ignore that. 

• Brohoof 1

oh, if you want to see what cheap united cutlery swords can do watch this united cutlery slimline machete  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMknRILNbAM   really the start and at 11:18 is were all the cutting is. i shot this when i was 1st learning swordsman ship. Mines i got for 10$, is  made out one piece full tang tempered 420 stainless steel, and i have been useing it for 5  years for brush cutting/yard work.

That must explain it then. I have several cheap-ass knives and such around here branded United someone gave to me(I think most of them came from mail-order catalogs, the cheap kind you get for free like BudK) Nice, I prefer Duncan's though. If I shelled out big money that's be the one I'd get.

yeah that what most people don't get about them. they make 3$ pocket knifes and 3,000 swords. They are the biggest blade  maker out there and they make blade only as good as the person odering them ask for. 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Um, I'm unsure what exact kind my knife/dagger is, but I got it at a con a year or two ago for around the 50 AUS dollar mark. I plan on getting more fancy shmancy weapons in the future, but right now I'll stick with the one dagger that I have.

img-2602978-1-attachicon.gifIMG_0195.JPG

img-2602978-2-attachicon.gifIMG_0196.JPG

And for size comparison, from the tip to the hoop it's from the top of my pinkie of my elbow. I also have a very messy room, you can ignore that. 

That appears to be a replica Avatar Na'vi dagger; Neytiri's dagger to be precise.

Been debating posting this, but I figure what the hell, right? It's both exotic and a blade. My replica Freddy glove: 

ln89Qd8.jpg

M5CDYhL.jpg

"THIS! Is God!!!" 

P9GKRlP.jpg

Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 2

What model machete is that? I've been looking for a good Ft13th Part 1 type machete and that looks real nice. 

Also, dug these out of my closet. The top one is a 1950's swtchblade that belonged to my grandfather: 

attachicon.gif005.png

That is one from panama. No company makes it only locals. But I do have this sog that seems decent.
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Curse all of you who have balisong. They're illegal up here, which means I can't buy one or get one past customs, you lucky buggers.

hey, you could always move down to a free country like the usa instead of the people republic of canada    

No. Just no.

If I really wanted a balisong I could buy one in the states or commission one someone locally. Heck, if I can get the space and money for set up, I can make my own. Illegal just means pain in the butt to obtain, once you have it you're good.

Edited by Frith is Magick

Curse all of you who have balisong. They're illegal up here, which means I can't buy one or get one past customs, you lucky buggers.

hey, you could always move down to a free country like the usa instead of the people republic of canada  :)  

(edited)

I managed to pick up one of these for $180 shipped. They are discontinued and I see them on Ebay at a ridiculous $250 + S&H so I'm happy I avoided the out-of-production markup.

Calypso54_sprint1.jpg

Edited by Goose
  • Brohoof 3

Probably an unpopular opinion, but this seems like the thread to state it: I honestly don't like black coating on blades. I prefer either bare metal (which is grey and looks aged) or polished metal. I think blackened blades look tacky. Anypony else feel this way?

Probably an unpopular opinion, but this seems like the thread to state it: I honestly don't like black coating on blades. I prefer either bare metal (which is grey and looks aged) or polished metal. I think blackened blades look tacky. Anypony else feel this way?
Like anything, it depends on what you are on the market for. On one hand, I love the simplistic beauty of bare/polished steel, but on the other hand, blackened blades appeal to the kid in me, but on carbon steels (either not stainless or less rust resistant) it can be functional. I personally care more about the blade steel and ergonomics (and price; broke/penny-pincher), but I like a knife that looks cool as much as the next kid.

It depends on how high-quality the coating is. The cheap kind that just looks like high-gloss black paint is pretty tacky but powder-coated style stuff that has a duller finish is pretty cool. 

Coloring a blade at all looks a bit off to me, unless there's a very specific reason for it. I mean, I'm amused by blades with rainbow-differential coloring just because I'm contrary, but still.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
Coloring a blade at all looks a bit off to me, unless there's a very specific reason for it. I mean, I'm amused by blades with rainbow-differential coloring just because I'm contrary, but still.

First of all, are you talking about anodizing or differential tempering? Differential tempering affects the properties of the steel directly, whereas anodizing just covers the surface, making it half protective and half superficial.

Secondly, a part of me wants to buy a multi-coloured anodized throwing knife and have Rainbow Dash engraved on the blade, though that's more my sense of humour than a serious knife choice. 

It depends on how high-quality the coating is. The cheap kind that just looks like high-gloss black paint is pretty tacky but powder-coated style stuff that has a duller finish is pretty cool. 

Are you talking about something like bluing? On a serious knife, I'm inclined to agree, though there is one wall-hanger dagger that I have my eye on with the reflective black. If you want a knife as a tool, it's tacky, but if you want a knife as a decoration (no different from buying a painting, etc.), it looks sexy.

When I say black paint, I'm referring to something like a cheap Smith and Wesson branded knife that literally looks like that painted with black paint(the picture doesn't do it justice, I have a S&W that's done like this and it's really tacky and glossy like someone just took latex paint to it):  
I see what you mean; you're right about it, First of all, it looks cheap, regardless of steel, and it looks off on a supposed EDC knife. I was thinking more of this:IMG_0432.jpg(it looks dang sexy in person) Something meant to be put on display, not a knife meant to be used. Edited by Frith is Magick
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

First of all, are you talking about anodizing or differential tempering? Differential tempering affects the properties of the steel directly, whereas anodizing just covers the surface, making it half protective and half superficial.

Secondly, a part of me wants to buy a multi-coloured anodized throwing knife and have Rainbow Dash engraved on the blade, though that's more my sense of humour than a serious knife choice. 

Are you talking about something like bluing? On a serious knife, I'm inclined to agree, though there is one wall-hanger dagger that I have my eye on with the reflective black. If you want a knife as a tool, it's tacky, but if you want a knife as a decoration (no different from buying a painting, etc.), it looks sexy.

When I say black paint, I'm referring to something like a cheap Smith and Wesson branded knife that literally looks like it's painted with black paint(the picture doesn't do it justice, I have a S&W that's done like this and it's really tacky and glossy like someone just took latex paint to it):

img-2625307-1-197530000_01_lg.jpg

When I say "powder coated" I mean something like this that actually looks like a proper coating of some kind

img-2625307-2-1870OLBLK%5Blarge%5D.13959

I carry one of these and coating on it isn't bad either:

img-2625307-3-22-41297c.jpg

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

What's bugging me is I've been on a casual, year long, search for a military issue combat knife to complement the knife my Grandfather was issued in Korea (center)

post-18351-0-32591100-1399148771.png

I figured it would look cool as a sort of then and now sort of thing. I'm looking for something like this:

1215_h_lg.png   

Except every modern military issue knife I can find online has that stupid black coating over the blade. I know there's issued blades out there without it, I've seen 'em. But they're such a pain in the ass to track down because these black bladed ones are so popular. 

• Brohoof 1

What's bugging me is I've been on a casual, year long, search for a military issue combat knife to complement the knife my Grandfather was issued in Korea (center)

post-18351-0-32591100-1399148771.png

I figured it would look cool as a sort of then and now sort of thing. I'm looking for something like this:

1215_h_lg.png   

Except every modern military issue knife I can find online has that stupid black coating over the blade. I know there's issued blades out there without it, I've seen 'em. But they're such a pain in the ass to track down because these black bladed ones are so popular. 

It's because the coating protects the high-carbon steel that higher-end knives are made from rust.  

Theoretically you could just get some fine grit paper, clean it off, and polish it, but that would be tedious and you would have to be more diligent from then on about caring for the blade and protecting it from rust. The finer the paper the better, so after cleaning it off, you would need a few different grits and have to be careful to not remove too much material. A coating only does so much, but it is an good preventative measure.
  • Brohoof 1

I'm just talking about the appearance at the moment. Since I think it looks silly in most cases, the actual mechanics of how they did the coloring doesn't matter that much. I'm just using the term 'differential' to mean a gradual color change rather than bands of distinct color. I've been screwing with digital art stuff recently, so some of that terminology is leaking through. :)

Anodizing may only cover the surface, but it does have a strange effect on steel in the long run. The anodized surface is technically harder than the base steel but since it's a thin surface it can actually crack and flake over time. It's really weird when your blades start peeling on you.

Most of the time this is to replicate the appearance of blued steel without the constant maintenance true blued steel requires. :)

I'm just talking about the appearance at the moment. Since I think it looks silly in most cases, the actual mechanics of how they did the coloring doesn't matter that much. I'm just using the term 'differential' to mean a gradual color change rather than bands of distinct color. I've been screwing with digital art stuff recently, so some of that terminology is leaking through.

Anodizing may only cover the surface, but it does have a strange effect on steel in the long run. The anodized surface is technically harder than the base steel but since it's a thin surface it can actually crack and flake over time. It's really weird when your blades start peeling on you.

Most of the time this is to replicate the appearance of blued steel without the constant maintenance true blued steel requires.

If you are talking solely about appearance, then I'm inclined to agree, though anodizing can be used beyond steel to create a coating and hold dyes, protecting the material (such as aluminium) while also giving it colour, but that is well outside of the topic at hand. I did have an anodized throwing knife (part of a set, since lost to a bad throw), and after much use, including in snow, I didn't notice any flaking. Granted, the coating started to wear off, as expected on a throwing knife, but I had no issue with flaking. Anodizing can also be used to achieve a single colour, which on decorative pieces can give it an iridescent quality, and while I won't argue with your aesthetics in steel, it is obviously in demand as a coating