Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bladed / Exotic Weapons Thread

Chigens and Kay

I would give that post 100 likes if I could. That is truly an epic collection of weaponry.

I especially like pictures 5, 10, and 11. I have a soft spot for spears and I wish I could find some around where I live.

Around here the hard part is getting something other than hemlock to use for a stave. Most of the dowels that size labeled as pine are actually low-quality hemlock that shatter too easily. I have to go oak or ramen from a specialty woodworking store. The rosewood bo staves they sell in martial arts stores are too short, and tapered incorrectly for hewing spears (good for javelins, though) I've tried some of the resin-impregnated staves some catalogs sell for their spear heads, but they're not very good. They're pretty and all that due to the colors, but they are brittle when struck with something with an edge. So if you block a sword with it, you're likely to be holding two sticks instead of a spear... 

While it's had to find reasonably-priced sword reproductions that are somewhat accurate to historical weapons, good enough spear heads are relatively easy to come by in catalogs.

• Brohoof 2

Ech, I just dumped a fair bit of change into ordering a sword... a very cheap sword, yes, but I really can't afford to keep buying useless things at the moment, I'm not "in the money" right now.  Heheheh.

One of these (except the version I got has a bo-hi, the groove in the blade, which makes it lighter and possibly slightly weaker but they were out of the plain version and I was impatient)

img-1144592-1-MunetoshiTacWak2.jpg

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, here it is, finally. Actually that was pretty fast shipping...

wak1_zps3c28a1df.png

wak2_zpsb4371bc7.png

img-1172868-3-wak3_zpseb350141.png

1060 steel and ABS polymer (not G10) grip slabs. Came sorta-kinda sharp. Need to make it shave.

Edited by Goose
  • Brohoof 4

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered a Spyderco Endura4 in bright blue. About $70. I was torn between whether to save up a teeny bit more for a $160 Ulize but I figured I would just baby the Ulize and be overly careful with it, whereas with the Endura I'd actually use it.

I'll get an Ulize soon, though. Can't wait for the Endura to get here.

spydie2.jpg

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I was just wondering is there was any knife and sword loving bronies, if you have a cool knife or sword show it off here, i like swords and knifes and have collected them for years

• Brohoof 1

I was just wondering is there was any knife and sword loving bronies, if you have a cool knife or sword show it off here, i like swords and knifes and have collected them for years

My pen crossed with a sword cutie-mark isn't just metaphorical. I don't have a collection to speak of, but I do have my wooden practice waster. 

img-1299883-1-11054781304538306997.jpeg

I've been practicing by myself in many forms of swordplay for years. This week will mark my first formal training lesson. I'm really excited.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

My pen crossed with a sword cutie-mark isn't just metaphorical. I don't have a collection to speak of, but I do have my wooden practice weapon. 

img-1299883-1-11054781304538306997.jpeg

I've been practicing by myself in many forms of swordplay for years. This week will mark my first formal training lesson. I'm really excited.

cool, I know a guy that uses junk china swords that they sharpen and him and his group have sword fights, he must not be that good because he is always cut up.

• Brohoof 1

cool, I know a guy that uses junk china swords that they sharpen and him and his group have sword fights, he must not be that good because he is always cut up.

Well being cut isn't always the mark of a bad swordsman. Then again, I don't know if they actually are using the proper techniques or are just wailing away at each other. In which case, I'm not surprised.

It should be noted though, that many sword forms require you to get much closer to your opponent than would seem necessary. Which is why my group practices and spars only with blunted weapons while wearing padding. A sword fight can quickly devolve into a wrestling match.

I got a wooden katana a chain attached to the end im thinking of putting something on the chain but i dont what plus im planning on getting a real katana soon.

Why would you need the chain? For something like a kusari-gama that makes sense, but the chain just adds extra weight and drag to a katana.

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

I personally have a Bokun (wooden practice katana used in Iaido) and a show katana.  I had originally planned on getting an Iaito set, but I was short on cash.  Sadly by the time that I had enough freely useable income to buy the set my master had passed away.  So right now I just have the Bokun and the show blade.

As for knives I have three.  One is stainless steel with a plastic grip, another is stainless with a steel grip, and I have a butterfly knife (which apparently are exceptionally rare now).

• Brohoof 1

Well being cut isn't always the mark of a bad swordsman. Then again, I don't know if they actually are using the proper techniques or are just wailing away at each other. In which case, I'm not surprised.

It should be noted though, that many sword forms require you to get much closer to your opponent than would seem necessary. Which is why my group practices and spars only with blunted weapons while wearing padding. A sword fight can quickly devolve into a wrestling match.

Why would you need the chain? For something like a kusari-gama that makes sense, but the chain just adds extra weight and drag to a katana.

they don't have any form, they just wail on each other. he said the girls are really hard to beat because they are so fast and agile .

I have several katanas, carbon steel ones you can cut with, and a cold steel sword cane, I am looking at some cool tai chi swords at the moment, might pick this one up http://www.amazon.com/CAS-Hanwei-32-Inch-Practical-TaiJi/dp/B004M28YKU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

sorry computer, you are kind off

I personally have a Bokun (wooden practice katana used in Iaido) and a show katana.  I had originally planned on getting an Iaito set, but I was short on cash.  Sadly by the time that I had enough freely useable income to buy the set my master had passed away.  So right now I just have the Bokun and the show blade.

As for knives I have three.  One is stainless steel with a plastic grip, another is stainless with a steel grip, and I have a butterfly knife (which apparently are exceptionally rare now).

yea, I have a butterfly knife also, they are hard to get because they are illegal in some parts of the country, and you can't carry them either, I have a stilleto switchblade but it is illegal to carry also.

Where to start. I have an old cutless pirate type sword, two katanas, replica from the movie Blade, Lealos's blades from Lord of the Ring, Replica of the dual blades used in The Chronicles of Riddick, and a cool ninja sword. So yeah I like swords.

sounds like you have quit a lot of cool swords, I like to keep to the more traditional non movie swords myself, even though they look cool.

sounds like you have quit a lot of cool swords, I like to keep to the more traditional non movie swords myself, even though they look cool.

Yeah since I don't really plan on riding into battle anytime soon I like swords more for their aesthetic appeal. But I do have one or two that are "battle ready"

I'm sorry about your master. Were you close to him? My old martial arts instructor and I are still close friends and I would be devastated if he died.

they don't have any form, they just wail on each other. he said the girls are really hard to beat because they are so fast and agile .

Not to speak badly about your friend, but that's a REALLY bad idea! These are weapons, not toys! Especially since they take the time to actually sharpen them! 

Yeah since I don't really plan on riding into battle anytime soon I like swords more for their aesthetic appeal. But I do have one or two that are "battle ready"

you never know about using them, we will have to see how the new gun laws go, we might wind up carrying sword like they did in the old days

I'm sorry about your master. Were you close to him? My old martial arts instructor and I are still close friends and I would be devastated if he died.

Not to speak badly about your friend, but that's a REALLY bad idea! These are weapons, not toys! Especially since they take the time to actually sharpen them! 

I never said he was smart, lucky for him they use junk swords with cheap soft 440 steel, if they got  hold of some REAL swords they would be missing body parts

post-1927-0-11431600-1364066857_thumb.jpghere are my swords, and sai, they are all carbon steel and will shave the hair off your arm, the swords of course not the sai, sai are pretty cool also

• Brohoof 2

I don't either, but there is something to be said of knowing how to use a weapon. ANY weapon. For me, it brings a sense of wholeness and security. The knowledge of how to apply leverage, balance, and force in close combat isn't restricted to swordplay. Depending upon which kind of sword you are talking about, they were not always battlefield weapons. Just as you wouldn't carry an assault rifle for self-defense, you wouldn't use a claymore for that purpose either. By that same token, you'd need more than a taser or handgun on today's battlefields. Nor would you survive long on a medieval one with only an arming sword.

While I'm still debating of whether to carry one on my person in the future (God forbid I'd actually have to use it) if I did, it would probably be a longsword or arming sword. Neither are ridiculously huge, the ladder can be used one handed, and both can make an easy transition to grappling or unarmed striking. 

I have a fair amount of knives, I don't go anywhere without one. Nothing expensive, CRKTs, Kershaws, Cold Steels, a couple machetes, a couple slipjoints, a couple Chinese folders too. Right now my knife of choice is the Endura 4.

Y1g3dcy.jpg?2

I have but one sword, 1060 carbon, 20-inch blade:

honshu_zps350b05d2.png

• Brohoof 2

you never know about using them, we will have to see how the new gun laws go, we might wind up carrying sword like they did in the old days

There are laws against carrying blades over a certain length in most states unfortunately. Also don't be surprised when criminals still use guns if the law passes. 

Gee, criminals that already illegally obtained weapons not being deterred by a law to prevent legally obtaining them?

img-1300211-1-tumblr_m92v9trHob1ryh3t1o2

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

I have a fair amount of knives, I don't go anywhere without one. Nothing expensive, CRKTs, Kershaws, Cold Steels, a couple machetes, a couple slipjoints, a couple Chinese folders too. Right now my knife of choice is the Endura 4.

img-1300209-1-Y1g3dcy.jpg

I have but one sword, 1060 carbon, 20-inch blade:

img-1300209-2-honshu_zps350b05d2.png

how do you like that wakazashi? I have seen them online and have been going back and forth about getting one

There are laws against carrying blades over a certain length in most states unfortunately. Also don't be surprised when criminals still use guns if the law passes. 

Gee, criminals that already illegally obtained weapons not being deterred by a law to prevent legally obtaining of them?

img-1300211-1-tumblr_m92v9trHob1ryh3t1o2

yea, like i have said before, everything you can do bad with a gun is already illegal and criminals are already prohibited from owning guns, but they do it anyway, 

• Brohoof 1

how do you like that wakazashi? I have seen them online and have been going back and forth about getting one

I like it fine, but I'm not a swordsman so I don't know about proper balance, etc.

My version has the fuller since they seem to have stopped production on the "nohi" version. At least, they were out of it when I checked. It's a pretty light sword but it feels solid.

One thing to note, the handle material is advertised as G10, but that's false, it looks like ABS to me. I suspected that prior to buying - doesn't bother me, the Hanwei version uses ABS as well, and ABS is used on Becker knives and other tough products. It's not slick or anything.

Fit and finish seemed pretty good given the price, it fit into the saya well. It came "okay" sharp but that was easily fixed.

Blade thickness is about 5.5mm/0.22in, it balances about an inch forward of the habaki.

I like it, especially for the sub-$100 price. Not too many functional swords out there in that price range...

Ah, threads were merged...

I never liked the title of this one. Bladed / Exotic Weapons doesn't match my interests. Most of my knives are not "weapons" in any shape or form. It's almost... demeaning to assume that people collect knives with the thought of hurting other people. I'd prefer a less-aggressive title like "Blade thread" or "Knife and sword thread", etc. Shoving bushcrafting knives, samurai swords and spiked maces together in the same thread just doesn't work...

I expected a merge, though, heh.

Edited by Goose
  • Brohoof 1

We were quite close.  He was a great instructor and he cared about the whole person not just their time in the dojo.  He would often ask about how my college classes were going and my bokun was a gift from him at the end of my FIRST day.  He is definitely missed.  I haven't found any reputable masters around where I live so I haven't been back to continue study.  He was an 8th Dan and that is rather hard to come by for Iaido in the US, much less two close by.

• Brohoof 1

Why I didn't see this thread earlier?!

Well, even though I'm a martial artist, I don't really like using sharp weapons. Still, I have a unique traditional weapon. The name is 'Kujang.' It's a kind of beautiful curved knife used in very close combat and is easy to spin. The picture in the spoiler isn't my actual Kujang, but mine is pretty similar.

kujangc08.jpg

I'm not this people of Sunda or a martial artist from the "Pencak Silat" sect. My martial art is different. Here's the information about Kujang.

The outer part is made by harder metal and it's the dull part (used to parry). The soft metal (the sharp part) is in the inner side, but in the lower part inside the curve, where the metal meets the hilt, the metal is hard and is used to block. The curved hilt makes it easier to spin and switch from the dull part to the sharp part and vice versa. Block, spin, hack, spin, block, spin, hack. The beauty. wub.png

Don't underestimate the size and the weird curved design. In the hands of martial artists, it can be ridiculously dangerous. :lol:

By the way, do bow and arrows count? laugh.png

Edited by Sky Warden
  • Brohoof 3