Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bladed / Exotic Weapons Thread

Chigens and Kay

I'm wondering... if this is not related to the topic, please forgive me. Since this is a bladed weapons thread, I think I can post it here. Do you guys know the price of a regular Chinese Dao? That broad saber that is used with one hand. It's not for decoration, so it won't be so expensive.

I'm not looking for katana. It doesn't fit my style. They're not so good for chopping. Slashing and cutting maybe, but I don't like it. I don't say katana is bad, though I don't really understand why people like katana so much. Well, it's just the matter of style. :)

So... any idea?

I'm wondering... if this is not related to the topic, please forgive me. Since this is a bladed weapons thread, I think I can post it here. Do you guys know the price of a regular Chinese Dao? That broad saber that is used with one hand. It's not for decoration, so it won't be so expensive.

I'm not looking for katana. It doesn't fit my style. They're not so good for chopping. Slashing and cutting maybe, but I don't like it. I don't say katana is bad, though I don't really understand why people like katana so much. Well, it's just the matter of style. smile.png

So... any idea?

The term Dao actually covers a wide range of stuff so it's tricky to answer the question as is. In Chinese, dao just means any single-edged knife-like blade, meaning you can get lost searching for stuff ending up in a completely wrong place. :)

You're probably looking for a wushu-style dao rather than a han or manchurian dao, as those two are 1) far more expensive, and 2) shaped more like western sabres and aren't the broad style.

Here's a cheap one: http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=KS5900R&name=Chinese+Broad+Sword+%2D+Red I can't guarantee the quality though, as weapons this cheap are usually.... poorly constructed.

However, I recommend talking to this guy: http://www.therionarms.com/ He doesn't have any daos at the moment that I know of, but my experience with him has been good so far. He's honest about what the weapons are for and can do, unlike a lot of the mass-market sellers, and often gets ahold of actual historical pieces to sell. While he doesn't have one on his site right now, it's possible he knows where to get a good one for a reasonable price.

Edited by Fhaolan

The term Dao actually covers a wide range of stuff so it's tricky to answer the question as is. In Chinese, dao just means any single-edged knife-like blade, meaning you can get lost searching for stuff ending up in a completely wrong place. smile.png

You're probably looking for a wushu-style dao rather than a han or manchurian dao, as those two are 1) far more expensive, and 2) shaped more like western sabres and aren't the broad style.

Yes I know. Actually the model doesn't really matter to me. As long as it's single-edged and broad, I will like it, so I would say only Dao. I'm trying to get used to any kind of weapons. Hmm... any other than the wushu-style Dao? I don't feel like I really like it, though I'm not sure why.

So their prices is around $50? Or it's just the cheapest? I'm terrible at measuring prices. :lol:

Yes I know. Actually the model doesn't really matter to me. As long as it's single-edged and broad, I will like it, so I would say only Dao. I'm trying to get used to any kind of weapons. Hmm... any other than the wushu-style Dao? I don't feel like I really like it, though I'm not sure why.

So their prices is around $50? Or it's just the cheapest? I'm terrible at measuring prices. laugh.png

Swords in general tend to fall into the same price categories. It doesn't really matter what the sword is, as long as it falls into these price categories you've got a reasonable idea of the quality. I'm using US dollars here, just because they're what I'm used to at the moment.

The cheap stuff runs from $50-$150, and I don't know how *usable* anything in that price range is. Swords that cheap tend to be wallhangers and are made of stainless steel (too brittle for actual use). You can sometimes get away with using them for stage combat and live-steel reenactment, but chances are the blade or tang will break fairly quickly.

Running from $150-$500 would be the stage combat blades. These things tend to be better made and can take some abuse, but they also tend to be built with balance and harmonics being considered secondary to robustness.

Running from $500-$1,500 would be the removal-style reproduction blades. These are not forged, but are ground out of solid bar stock and then tempered appropriately. Balance and harmonics are usually good and this is where you can start to compare to actual historical weapons, even though the manufacturing method is different. They're relying on modern steel bar stock being of better quality and consistency than what was available historically, to be able to shortcut the forging process.

From $1,500-$3,000 you're dealing with handforged blades. Honestly the weapons in this range tend to not be as good as the previous, as this is where the less experienced hammer-and-anvil swordsmiths hang out. You *can* get good stuff here, but you have to be more discerning as a buyer and develop a trust relationship with the swordsmith.

From $3,000+ is where real weapons are.

• Brohoof 1

Swords in general tend to fall into the same price categories. It doesn't really matter what the sword is, as long as it falls into these price categories you've got a reasonable idea of the quality. I'm using US dollars here, just because they're what I'm used to at the moment.

The cheap stuff runs from $50-$150, and I don't know how *usable* anything in that price range is. Swords that cheap tend to be wallhangers and are made of stainless steel (too brittle for actual use). You can sometimes get away with using them for stage combat and live-steel reenactment, but chances are the blade or tang will break fairly quickly.

Running from $150-$500 would be the stage combat blades. These things tend to be better made and can take some abuse, but they also tend to be built with balance and harmonics being considered secondary to robustness.

Running from $500-$1,500 would be the removal-style reproduction blades. These are not forged, but are ground out of solid bar stock and then tempered appropriately. Balance and harmonics are usually good and this is where you can start to compare to actual historical weapons, even though the manufacturing method is different. They're relying on modern steel bar stock being of better quality and consistency than what was available historically, to be able to shortcut the forging process.

From $1,500-$3,000 you're dealing with handforged blades. Honestly the weapons in this range tend to not be as good as the previous, as this is where the less experienced hammer-and-anvil swordsmiths hang out. You *can* get good stuff here, but you have to be more discerning as a buyer and develop a trust relationship with the swordsmith.

From $3,000+ is where real weapons are.

Looks like I'm going to be saving my money for a loooooooooooooong time. Still, I figured the real deal wasn't something you could pick up at the Renaissance fair.

@@Fhaolan, holy Celestia! That's much more expensive than a high quality Kujang here.

kujangc08.jpg

Do you think it will be cheaper if I order it from a local black smith? They're usually old people who don't really care about money, so I think it will be cheaper somehow.

Check out the Hanwei Oxtail Dao or the Traditional Filipino Weapons "Chinese Saber"

Chinese Saber

Chinese-Dan-Dao.jpg

There's also a few dadaos currently produced.

img-1390182-2-sh1012_l_large.jpg

img-1390182-3-DSC_3213.jpg

img-1390182-4-large-ctk35819hc.jpg

The Condor is the cheapest (~$90)and probably also the toughest. It's definitely well-made but it is also quite heavy, and covered in black paint. Condor makes really tough products but I haven't checked out that sword... it's tough but if it's too heavy or unbalanced it might not make a good weapon.

Some of these will be more expensive, you can definitely get a decent "combat-ready" sword for under $300 though. Just don't do axe-appropriate things with a sword, even a very expensive blade can be destroyed if you constantly use it to chop at trees. I've seen a Youtube clip of a tourist in Japan breaking an actual nihonto trying to cut a tatami mat the wrong way...

Edited by Goose
  • Brohoof 4

Check out the Hanwei Oxtail Dao or the Traditional Filipino Weapons "Chinese Saber"

Chinese Saber

Chinese-Dan-Dao.jpg

That looks good enough, and the price is affordable. Thank you. I will save some money. :3

Some of these will be more expensive, you can definitely get a decent "combat-ready" sword for under $300 though. Just don't do axe-appropriate things with a sword, even a very expensive blade can be destroyed if you constantly use it to chop at trees. I've seen a Youtube clip of a tourist in Japan breaking an actual nihonto trying to cut a tatami mat the wrong way...

Don't worry. I'm pretty skilled. By the way, most Japanese swords are made for cutting. Probably that's why. :lol:

I love the disclaimer : "These weapons are not toys."

LOL!

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bladed weapons... something I can get behind.

I have two katanas. One has is 1060 carbon and the other is spring steel. Both are beautiful weapons and each have their own story behind them. The first, I actually received in a rather strange set of circumstances. In a RP I was involved with, my character gave my friend's OC a katana in one of the chapters, so for her birthday, I actually had the sword made. The guy who made it was somehow moved by the story (not the RP, the fact that I wanted the sword made) and decided to give me one from his collection. The spring steel one I got for passing the written exams in grad school. :P

I also have a small knife that is forged in the Damascus steel style. 

Yum.... 

i just bought a titanium bladed dive knife for 20 dollars at the flea market:) it is cool because it is so light! it feels like it is made of aluminum it is so light

I wasn't pleased with the sharpness of this knife, so I totally resharpened it... I think I did a pretty good job. Now it's really really sharp.

enduraprofile_zps62379e78.png
enduraprofile2_zps5ce7c98e.png
enduraprofile3_zps2c35cd74.png
enduraprofile4_zps3c3623d6.png

• Brohoof 1

I wasn't pleased with the sharpness of this knife, so I totally resharpened it... I think I did a pretty good job. Now it's really really sharp.

img-1444630-1-enduraprofile_zps62379e78.img-1444630-2-enduraprofile2_zps5ce7c98eimg-1444630-3-enduraprofile3_zps2c35cd74img-1444630-4-enduraprofile4_zps3c3623d6

I sharpen new knives all the time. it is amazing how dull a lot of them are right out of the box

I also have a seki knife called the ant. very sharp!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

HOW IN THE HOLY HELL DID I MISS THIS THREAD :3 here's my goods lads and lasses. The pics aren't great because neither is my camera buts still

A replica of Aragorn's daggger

7kwhwIG.jpg

A two handed Katana in a matching set

JksdimF.jpg

A one handed Katana in a matching set

osyIoBz.jpg

A knife with preserved scorpions in the blade

1F2D3bt.jpg

A "wolf" knife

KNZNE0h.jpg

A kinda Blurry Wakizashi

8G6qmgN.jpg

A Shirayasa Katana

obCDYc6.jpg

A kukri with matching smaller Knives

td31Po5.jpg

Just a little knife with a scorpion on it :P

wOEt7xf.jpg

A replica of "The Sword of Charlemagne

XAMsrGl.jpg

And my newest piece :D a Halberd

post-19080-0-59099200-1377774117_thumb.jpg

Edited by QuirkyUsername
  • Brohoof 5

• 1 month later...

I sharpen new knives all the time. it is amazing how dull a lot of them are right out of the box

Personally I would rather have a knife be slightly dull out of the box. It gives you the chance to put the edge on it that suits you best. The pocket knife I bought recently was literally razor sharp out of the box, but razor edges are relatively delicate. The edge I maintain now is sharp, but not razor sharp, meaning I can use it for slicing, but can also cut tougher materials without the blade wearing down or such.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
(edited)

My Dad gave me a large bag o' sharp and pointy things when he went into the nursing home(cleaning out his place was one of the hardest things of my life) and this really nice Bowie Knife was in there

post-6903-0-81698300-1396927650_thumb.jpg

post-6903-0-03949700-1396927673_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 4

• 4 weeks later...

I normally don't buy this sort of thing but it was $17 and I couldn't resist because I haven't seen any of these Highlander Knock-Offs locally. 

10154885_850307561653111_114633981706814

10245534_850307694986431_548343514085716

• Brohoof 3

I normally don't buy this sort of thing but it was $17 and I couldn't resist because I haven't seen any of these Highlander Knock-Offs locally. 
$17? Good find, that looks like a nice wall-hanger for that price.
  • Brohoof 1

$17? Good find, that looks like a nice wall-hanger for that price.

Yeah, I figure since it looks nice(aside from the somewhat tacky scabbard) and it was actually modeling after a sword I quite like I'd grab it even though I normally don't buy any kind of swords.