Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The reply/topic layout is confusing

Jon the VGNerd

While I appreciate the makeover in terms of posts, I'm not really accommodated to the new layout when it comes to making posts or posting replies, as its pretty tedious in making basic HTMLs such as spoiler, images and videos as they often come out wrong and don't appear at all. If anyone can help me on how to do these again would be appreciated for me to get used to it, even though I liked the previous layout better due to it being easy to use in my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

The best person to walk you through using the text editor is almost certainly @Rikifive. Honestly it might be a decent idea for staff to see if he is up to working on some sort of visual guide to using MLPF. 

• Brohoof 3

6 hours ago, Jeric said:

The best person to walk you through using the text editor is almost certainly @Rikifive.

Not sure how did I get there, but I feel honored. :derp:

Yeah, it may be confusing. It took me less than a week to bump into several bugs and inconveniences in the text editor after the v4 upgrade. I've literally accidentally broke some of my posts (with project presentations and such) back then, having to spend hours on fixing these, due to amount of formatting they had. How these were breaking is a mystery - I have no idea why the contents were moved all over the place- middle part of the post appearing at the end, the ending somewhere in the middle in a random spoiler... pure magic, that was hard to fix.

My first tip is to type BBCodes manually only when it's absolutely necessary. If you got used to manually typing BBCodes, such as img, spoiler etc.. then the bad news are, that from now on you should start getting used to the buttons in the editor, especially the spoiler one with the eye icon. This text editor is more automatic - literally WYSIWYG (What You See is What You Get), you can't even view the (raw) BBCode format anymore- you just have what you see - so it's highly preferred to have the special boxes and all the formatting displayed/visible in the editor before posting it, rather than using raw code and making it process when posting. Most of the BBCodes will do their job correctly, but the spoiler one is just dangerous, as it was (and still is?) the one causing most of the mess. I'm not sure if that was fixed in next updates, as I didn't dare to find that out, but I still advise to use the button to create the spoiler box in the editor, rather than making it convert the code into these boxes when posting.

Oh- and you've mentioned HTML - it's still better to use the buttons. What's more, normal members aren't allowed to put HTML in the editor, due to security reasons. Not sure about other groups, but I suspect it is left only for admins-- or just disabled for everybody.

<strong>not working *is sad*</strong>
(you could still use the console *cough* *cough*, but it still limits you from posting contents you'd normally not be able to post)
Such strong (- via HTML)

There are many things to tell about the text editor (starting from basics, through tips and bugs, to more advanced usage) and I suppose you don't want to get a giant wall of text explaining how to make posts. :P ~So I think it would be better to know what exactly you'd like to know. :derp: Unless you actually want to get a wall of text mentioning common functions and such.. :P 

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 3