Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

XXIII Olympic Winter Games (PyeongChang, South Korea, Feb. 9-25, 2018)

PiratePony

In 19 days, the world will come together in the spirit of friendship and, as AJ would put it, some friendly competition.

I'm starting to get into the hype, as I am a very huge Olympics fan. What about you guys? Any events you are looking forward to? Athletes you want to see?

Let's discuss!

2018_2.png

• Brohoof 1

My favorite at the Winter Olympics are the figure skating events, but I have a weakness for curling. I get so much into curling that every four years I promise I'll take a class or workshop or something on it.

Other events I love: skiing, snowboarding, speed skating.

I honestly prefer the Summer Olympics as the sports they feature there are more appealing to me. I've no disrespect towards the Winter Olympics but I'm not really fond of most winter sports save for a couple here and there out of sheer novelty. Also, England rarely sends delegates to the Winter Olympics as they don't get snow all that often so they don't have access to much in the way of winter facilities without going overseas.

• Brohoof 1

Wait what, in 19 days? Where have I lived these last months? Time flies when you forget what you were waiting for in the first place...

Since this year so many top athletes are banned from the olympics because of doping scandals, I'm looking foward to see surprise winners. It get's very boring very fast if same names win every single year. One of my favourite memories from winter games is from years ago when  skier- I think he was australian or spanish, anyways from warm country with hardly any snow and even fewer winter olympic medals - with zero chances to win finished third and won bronze. He was so happy and bewildered that he didn't know what to do after crossing the finishing line. It's always great to see underdogs doing well. :wub:

I'm a little worried about the North Korean response. No, I'm not worried that WWIII will suddenly start. Just that the drama in East Asia (as well as the Russian doping scandal) will overshadow what the Games are all about: friendly competition and an opportunity for the greatest athletes in the world to compete against one another.

I've always loved the Winter Olympics. This year is no different. Should be fun to watch! I love watching the skiing (especially Alpine and jumping), speed skating (especially short track), figure skating, bobsled, luge, snowboarding, hockey, everything really.

Edited by Prospekt

5 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

I'm a little worried about the North Korean response. No, I'm not worried that WWIII will suddenly start. Just that the drama in East Asia (as well as the Russian doping scandal) will overshadow what the Games are all about: friendly competition and an opportunity for the greatest athletes in the world to compete against one another.

I've always loved the Winter Olympics. This year is no different. Should be fun to watch! I love watching the skiing (especially Alpine and jumping), speed skating (especially short track), figure skating, bobsled, luge, snowboarding, hockey, everything really.

1. Kim Jong-Un's soul and conicence (or what's left of them) is probably worried sick,

2. Russian team took drugs :blink: I just thought that Vladimir Putin just hand picked the best athleats in all of mother Russia... the more you (unfortunately) know!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

ah yes, the winter olympics. It always a must for us germans to be under the 5 best nations at the winter olympics.

Really looking forward to it. :)

• Brohoof 1

I'm still bummed and a tad agitated that the NHL pretty much nixed any of their players from participating in the Winter Olympics, even going so far as to threaten any player who goes with some sort of penalty. Alexander Ovechkin was especially wanting to represent Russia, but NHL would not budge. I can't help but feel this will hurt the NHL in the public eye in the long-term.

Still; at least there's curling! <3

• Brohoof 1

23 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

I'm still bummed and a tad agitated that the NHL pretty much nixed any of their players from participating in the Winter Olympics, even going so far as to threaten any player who goes with some sort of penalty. Alexander Ovechkin was especially wanting to represent Russia, but NHL would not budge. I can't help but feel this will hurt the NHL in the public eye in the long-term.

Still; at least there's curling! <3

Darn, I hadn't heard that. Watching the NHL players represent their countries is something I always look forward to.

And Curling <3 <3 <3

7a0a5011ff6840ee72a8431fb7136a58.jpg

• Brohoof 2

Tonight's opening ceremonies! I didn't watch the first round of events yesterday, but I DVRd it for after tonight.

I'm so excited! How about you guys?

Favorite events? Favorite athletes?

• Brohoof 1

I will be very surprised if the netherlands will not win all of their medals in iceskating. They are way too good at it, considering how low their land lies in the water, so they had to wear skaters everyday since they where very young.

8 hours ago, PiratePony said:

Well, for example i look forward to the ice hockey tournament. Considering the NHL dosen't let any of their pros play at the olympics, Germany might have a chance of going far, since all our players play in the german ice hockey league. Will be tough though with a group against Finland, Norway and Sweden.

I also look forward to biathlon, which is very popular here in germany even outside of the olympic games. Our big Gold Medal hope is Laura Dahlmeier, who already won 19 world championship races since her debut in 2015, so i think if she brings out her A Game, she has incredibly good chances.

Other events i look forward to are Bobsleigh, Luge, Curling (eventhough Germany dosen't participate), Alpine Skiing, Ski Jumping and Nordic-Combined.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, PiratePony said:

Tonight's opening ceremonies! I didn't watch the first round of events yesterday, but I DVRd it for after tonight.

I'm so excited! How about you guys?

I'm a big fan of Olympic ice hockey, as well as all forms of skiing: alpine, cross-country, jumping, ski cross, and freestyle. I'm also a fan of all the sliding sports (bobsleigh, luge, & skeleton), short track speed skating, curling, and snowboarding. So needless to say, I'm hyped. :D

28 minutes ago, Mesmelicious Rize said:

Well, for example i look forward to the ice hockey tournament. Considering the NHL dosen't let any of their pros play at the olympics, Germany might have a chance of going far, since all our players play in the german ice hockey league. Will be tough though with a group against Finland, Norway and Sweden.

I'm expecting Switzerland to be a potential upset. They have just gotten better and better. Even though they haven't won an Olympic hockey medal since 1948, I can't help but think they could play spoiler in Group A. So they'll be the other team I cheer for. :lol:

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 1

48 minutes ago, Mesmelicious Rize said:

I will be very surprised if the netherlands will not win all of their medals in iceskating. They are way too good at it, considering how low their land lies in the water, so they had to wear skaters everyday since they where very young.

I also look forward to biathlon, which is very popular here in germany even outside of the olympic games. Our big Gold Medal hope is Laura Dahlmeier, who already won 19 world championship races since her debut in 2015, so i think if she brings out her A Game, she has incredibly good chances.

Other events i look forward to are Bobsleigh, Luge, Curling (eventhough Germany dosen't participate), Alpine Skiing, Ski Jumping and Nordic-Combined.

Yeah man, those bolts of Orange we're one if the best things about last games. I live skating competition s..

Skeleton freaks me the heck out....

The NHL restriction was complete garbage. I'm sure that made a lot of athletes unhappy.

20 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

I'm a big fan of Olympic ice hockey, as well as all forms of skiing: alpine, cross-country, jumping, ski cross, and freestyle. I'm also a fan of all the sliding sports (bobsleigh, luge, & skeleton), short track speed skating, curling, and snowboarding. So needless to say, I'm hyped. :D

I'm expecting Switzerland to be a potential upset. They have just gotten better and better. Even though they haven't won an Olympic hockey medal since 1948, I can't help but think they could play spoiler in Group A. So they'll be the other team I cheer for. :lol:

No ice dancing?

Speaking of Alpine: it is Vonn's last year. Will she do well or crash and burn?

At least non NHL players will have a chance to shine.

21 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

Yeah, i also think switzerland together with germany, could become the black sheep of this tournament. And don't worry. Germanys last medal in ice hockey was in 1976 in Innsbruck. We can talk about statistics all day long, but the truth will be decided at the game. ;)

2 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

Yeah man, those bolts of Orange we're one if the best things about last games. I live skating competition s..

Skeleton freaks me the heck out....

The NHL restriction was complete garbage. I'm sure that made a lot of athletes unhappy.

No ice dancing?

We're also good in Skeleton, but it's really one of the most (if not the most) dangerous winter sport. You Pretty much go through the canal face first, with 150 kmh, without any brakes. You can be hurt very badly, if not die.

Because of the dutch, they even got past us in the medal rankings in sotschi. But hey, if they can't be good in football, i give them atleast that. :P

You can see it both ways. It sucks that the NHL stars can't compete. But at the same time, we probably might see some rising stars in this tournament. Especially from the russian side, which purely consists of KHL players, the best league in European ice hockey. For me, Russia are the favs to win it.

• Brohoof 2

No ice dancing?

Ahh, yes. I like to watch figure skating as well, in all of its forms.

I can't see her doing too well. Yeah, she did well enough to both make the team and do remarkably well in international competition, but I have my doubts. She was fun to watch in the past but she's getting older. She will be interesting to watch, and might even medal in an event, but I'm not expecting gold.

8 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

Definitely. Think of it from the perspective of the college and junior-age players who will get a chance to compete on the world stage, even if they don't end up going pro in the future.

• Brohoof 1

First day and already gold medal for germany. Laura Dahlmeier wins the women Biathlon Sprint. Atta Girl. :D

• Brohoof 3

Sadly Finland's Kaisa Mäkäräinen had some poor luck in Biathlon sprint today. :adorkable:

But on the bright side, Krista Pärmäkoski won her first personal olympic medal and Finland's first medal in Pyeongchang! 

Bronze from womens 15-kilometre skiathlon!   You go girl ! :pinkie:

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Divine plywood said:

Sadly Finland's Kaisa Mäkäräinen had some poor luck in Biathlon sprint today. :adorkable:

But on the bright side, Krista Pärmäkoski won her first personal olympic medal and Finland's first medal in Pyeongchang! 

Bronze from womens 15-kilometre skiathlon!   You go girl ! :pinkie:

Oh, you're from Finland? You're in the same Ice Hockey Group as Germany. :D

How do you see your chances?