Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

XXIII Olympic Winter Games (PyeongChang, South Korea, Feb. 9-25, 2018)

PiratePony

looks so dead in here. :P

Anyway, Germany continues to dominate the olympics.

We won bronze medal in biathlon of the womens and won 2 gold medals, one in luge double and in figure skating, which is a big sensation since germany hasn't won olympic gold there since 1956 during the winter olympics of Cortina d'Ampezzo in Italy.

Sadly though, the german ice hockey team lost their first game against finland with 5:2, which i think makes @Divine plywood very happy. :P

Eitherway, germany now has 9 gold medals after barely 1 week into the games, with norway with 6 gold medals on second and then the netherlands with 5.

• Brohoof 2

I'm still thrilled about Shane White winning the gold, such redemption! .... till some crackass news reporter bought a 2 years old closed case about his sexual harassment incident. That was done and over it like 2 yrs agos, why don't the media just leave well enough alone.  

They were trying to throw the same card like they did with Peyton Manning...:okiedokieloki:

• Brohoof 1

53 minutes ago, Mesmelicious Rize said:

looks so dead in here. :P

Anyway, Germany continues to dominate the olympics.

We won bronze medal in biathlon of the womens and won 2 gold medals, one in luge double and in figure skating, which is a big sensation since germany hasn't won olympic gold there since 1956 during the winter olympics of Cortina d'Ampezzo in Italy.

Sadly though, the german ice hockey team lost their first game against finland with 5:2, which i think makes @Divine plywood very happy. :P

Eitherway, germany now has 9 gold medals after barely 1 week into the games, with norway with 6 gold medals on second and then the netherlands with 5.

There was a gorgeous performance by the Germans in yesterday's pair skating final. Bruno Massot and Aliona Savchenko put on a show like nothing I've seen in the Winter Games before. They were untouchable. I think everyone else competing in the finals was real nervous, because almost every pair suffered a fall at some point and just didn't have a gold medal-worthy demeanor--except for the Germans. They were so fun to watch, even though my Americans were terrible in the competition and didn't even make it to the finals. :P Seriously, the North Koreans left us in the dust. Come on, guys! ;)

21 minutes ago, Prospekt said:

There was a gorgeous performance by the Germans in yesterday's pair skating final. Bruno Massot and Aliona Savchenko put on a show like nothing I've seen in the Winter Games before. They were untouchable. I think everyone else competing in the finals was real nervous, because almost every pair suffered a fall at some point and just didn't have a gold medal-worthy demeanor--except for the Germans. They were so fun to watch, even though my Americans were terrible in the competition and didn't even make it to the finals. :P Seriously, the North Koreans left us in the dust. Come on, guys! ;)

Yeah, i saw the highlights again this afternoon, since the competition was early in the morning at my time.

After our first run, we where fourth, which already was good enough for us. But what Massot and Savchenko showed was indeed incredible. I am not expert on figure skating, but you can probably show this to someone who is not a fan and in most cases, he could also appreciate it. :)

40 minutes ago, TBD, Scoffer of TBA said:

I'm still thrilled about Shane White winning the gold, such redemption! .... till some crackass news reporter bought a 2 years old closed case about his sexual harassment incident. That was done and over it like 2 yrs agos, why don't the media just leave well enough alone.  

They were trying to throw the same card like they did with Peyton Manning...:okiedokieloki:

I have really delved into Shaun Whites sexual allegations, but i know that Shaun is really the man, when it comes to Snowboarding.

The Media is always out for sensationalism, even if the news are totally stupid. But it dosen't matter, since these kinds of news gets ratings.

• Brohoof 2

OH YES! I was so scared to watch ladies 10 km freestyle cross-country skiing, but Pärmäkoski snatched bronze again with same time than Norway's Marit Björgen. Two bronze medalists in one race, what a thriller! :yay:

But at the same time, Norway took 6 medals in one single day... We definitely have fell in medal rankings in these past decades. :sunny: Finland is not what we used to be, but I'm glad when individual athletes do well !

• Brohoof 1

Very close match in the medal table between germany and norway for first place. Norway is first after today, but only because they have more silver medals then us. Both have 11 gold medals.

Germany defeated Switzerland in Icehockey with 1-2. Tomorrow is our quarterfinal game against Sweden. Maybe we can get redemption, because we where very unlucky in the group phase.

Germany beat sweden in the semi finals in ice hockey. Never got so far in this tournament since Innsbruck. We play Canada now on Friday. :D

Also, another gold medal for us in bobsleght.

On ‎20‎.‎2‎.‎2018 at 3:38 PM, Tacodidra said:

The Finnish men's ice hockey team is struggling against South Korea

3 hours ago, Mesmelicious Rize said:

Germany beat sweden in the semi finals in ice hockey

What the hell is going on right now in olympic ice hockey? :D Good job Germany! As a Finn, I'm always happy to see our western neighbours lose

Edited by Divine plywood
  • Brohoof 2

Just now, Divine plywood said:

What the hell is going on right now in olympic ice hockey? :D Good job Germany! As a Finn I'm always happy to see our western neighbours lose

Thank you. Sorry about the game against Canada. To be honest, you would've deserved it more from the things i have seen. You where better, but just didn't get the puk in.

Would be cool if we win against Canada. We where never in an olympic ice hockey final. :D

• Brohoof 1

The women's hockey final, USA vs Canada is happening right now. This is always a fantastic matchup - hopefully the US can break their string of losses hehe

Right as I comment, goal for USA! 1-0 after the first period

• Brohoof 2

34 minutes ago, Divine plywood said:

GERMANY MADE IT TO OLYMPIC FINALS ! Good God, that was intence fight, congratulations @Mesmelicious Rize :lol:

Thank you so much. My heart skipped a beat a few times during the match. We where only defending for most of the 3rd and our goalie Danny aus den Birken made the game of his life.

While i don't see ourselves actually winning against Russia in the Final on Sunday, getting silver is already the biggest success in our history and i am sure this will probably inspire alot of young hockey players to go into hockey. :)

• Brohoof 3

USA GETS GOLD IN CURLING!!!! THIS WAS THE ONE I WAS WAITING FOR SINCE VANCOUVER!!!! WAY TO GO TEAM SHUSTER!!!!!

Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 4.58.57 AM.png

• Brohoof 2

I know i am a bit late. But i must say i really had alot of fun following the winter olympics. Absolute highlight for me was the great underdog story of our german ice hockey team and eventhough we lost against russia, there is nothing to be ashamed off. I hope the NHL saw some of these Talents and considers some of them for their teams, so there might be an ice hockey boom here in Germany.

We finished second in the medal standings, just barely behind Norway, as Norway won the last 30km ski run on sunday. But second is better then all the experts predicted and i am proud that we're one of the top wintersport nations, be it skijumping, biathlon, Luge or bob. :)

All in all, very successful games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3740nsK1WY

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, about ongoing Winter Paralympics. I have to say I'm mighty disappointed in Finnish national broadcasting company. During "real" olympic games we couldn't have a minute's break of skiing or snowboarding, olympics were everywhere. Paralympics? Not so much.

Today Finnish Matti Suur-Hammar won paralympic gold in men's snowboard cross (yay, by the way) and I didn't even know that he was competing today, or that the paralympics had even started! I understant that paralympics aren't as big international media event, but this is just dump! :scoots: Athletes taking part in these games are as talented, hardworking and entertaining to watch and cheer than ones competing in regular olympics. They should get more media coverage and publicity.

Since I have hard time finding out even when Finns are competing, it's almost impossible to keep track on how athletes from other countries are doing. Have your own countrymen been successful in PyeonChang paralympics?