Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would Hasbro approve of a major crowdfunded fandom project?

Plonkett

Like for example, like a fan film or fan game based on the MLP license (not something inspired by it like Them's Fightin' Herds or Sulphur Nimbus) being crowdfunded in Kickstarter or Indiegogo. Would Hasbro be willing to shut it down even before it gets funded?

Doubtful. They've been really lenient on things like videos, songs and conventions as a whole. but something like that may require them defending their IP. And if they don't, then they'll loose the rights. 

30 minutes ago, vgmaster9 said:

Like for example, like a fan film or fan game based on the MLP license (not something inspired by it like Them's Fightin' Herds or Sulphur Nimbus) being crowdfunded in Kickstarter or Indiegogo. Would Hasbro be willing to shut it down even before it gets funded?

Hasbro would want to be directly involved with anything making use of their property, so I’d say the chances of this is highly unlikely.

16 minutes ago, PiratePony said:

They would shut it down

15 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Hasbro has a record of shutting down fan projects, so I think they'd continue shutting them down.

Yeah, there's nothing to be added, Hasbro would definitely shut it down as fast as they would heard about it. Even though, I would be more than happy to fund this kind of project. This could be possiple only in distant future, when Hasbro have lauched new generation and stopped everything related to FiM. Maybe.. More likely is that they would still shoot fanprojects like this down, only because they wouldn't profit from them.

It sucks, but I can't really blame them. If we think this from Hasbro's perpective, brands only reason is to make money for it's owners and stockholders, not make fans happy for free...

They shut down fan projects claiming to make no profit, why would they suddenly allow one that is collecting cash to exist? What a silly and pointless question, the answer is obvious.

Doubt it for reasons already stated.

Secondly, from an ethical standpoint, this is a bad idea. Pitching it? Okay. But have bronies fund it so Hasbro could approve it? My foot goes down! Hasbro's a multi-billion-dollar corporation, and the MLP brand's worth approximately a billion in itself. Hasbro can afford it. If a fandom project ever gets pitched and approved, make them foot the entire bill, not bronies.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

More than likely, considering that its Hasbro, they would probably shut it down before it gets any actual momentum 

I'm pretty sure they've done very similar things to other large projects concerning their franchise too in the past, just kill it before it really goes anywhere 

hasbro evil logo.jpg

Hasbro would prefer to fund their own projects though they would only do so if it meant getting to sell toys and making money. In a case like this, as everyone else before me has already stated, such a project would be shut down by Hasbro.

1 hour ago, Dark Qiviut said:

Doubt it for reasons already stated.

Secondly, from an ethical standpoint, this is a bad idea. Pitching it? Okay. But have bronies fund it so Hasbro could approve it? My foot goes down! Hasbro's a multi-billion-dollar corporation, and the MLP brand's worth approximately a billion in itself. Hasbro can afford it. If a fandom project ever gets pitched and approved, make them foot the entire bill, not bronies.

Why would they ever do something so stupid?

That's basically going to ensure the product turned into a pandering piece of crap. It would never happen.

Big companies like Hasbro, no matter how uninspired they may be themselves, will never allow anyone with vision to contribute to their franchises. It's just brainless boardroom thinking that has no logic, kind of like the rest of the studios out there. :derp:

• 2 years later...
4 minutes ago, EpicEnergy said:

I'm not sure, Hasbro might view it as a way to get more people into MLP.

Yeah, except they are rather nasty with anything pony that's unoficial. Let's remember button mash' adventures, which was family friendly and still got C&D despite it didn't "stain the imagery of the My Little Pony Friendship is Magic trademark" like the whole bunch of other fan projects that were C&D

• Brohoof 1