Duality

Advanced Salem University OOC (Open)

Recommended Posts

@Arid_Blitz and I are dual-DMing on this RP; he created it and I adapted it.
 
IC thread can be found here.
 
I will be playing using my character Dr. Duality Wave-Particle, or, rather, a human water-elemental version (employed at the University as the dean of water magic and one of the school's main teachers of both glyph theory and hydromancy).
 
 
 
Introduction:
 
Spoiler

[Based in an alternate Earth.]

 
Throughout history, the study of magic has been looked down upon. Many denied its very existence due to how rare it was for people to have the ability to wield it. However, in recent decades, the existence of magic became scientifically indisputable fact, as the world's population has quickly grown to the point where thousands of magic users exist around the world, even though only about one in every million people can use magic.
Many people were hurt and killed by magic-wielders in the early days of modern magic, due to the fact that very few of them could properly control and direct their powers. Sponsored by a international government initiative, a powerful young man named Gabriel Lazel founded a school for users of magic, hiring many of his own magic-wielding acquaintances and friends as staff and calling in favours from many others to establish contact with secretive magical communities around the world. The school's name? Salem University.
 
Years passed, and more and more magic-wielders of incredibly diverse abilities flocked to the school, eager to learn more about the control of their often-unstable powers and, in many cases, eager to escape the societal rejection that came with such singular abilities. Students from all cultures, nationalities, and ethnic backgrounds were accepted equally there, not all even entirely human, as in the case of the Pelajae - a race of human-like animals that have developed alongside humankind as allies for millennia [yes, this means anthros are possible to roleplay; please address any objections to @Arid_Blitz, c/o MLP Forums thank you for using Duality Blame Redirection have a nice day].
Due to the vast diversity of the student body, however, there were many incidents of conflict between those of contrasting culture, which sometimes even lead to outright brawls. After a particularly savage incident involving a frenzied magical blast that severely injured twelve bystanders and killed both the fighting sophomores, it was decided that a duelling system be formally implemented, whereby students could fight to settle disputes, defend their honour, or simply test their combat prowess on each other. Such events took place in a specially-designed and -enchanted duelling ring, overseen by a select board of impartial teachers and students to prevent cheating and, in certain cases, provide protection from injuries in excess of what they considered reasonable given the circumstances of the duel in question.
 
It was just such a duel in which Principal Lazel was tragically killed, mere weeks after the twentieth anniversary of his founding of the school was celebrated with a grand gala. Police reported simply that he engaged with an unknown opponent in the master-sorcerer duelling ring, which resulted in his death. Nothing more was known. No culprit was identified.
Lazel's close friend, Lilith Plowse, was named his successor as principal. Under her wise leadership, the school expanded considerably over the next several years, requiring additional dorm blocks (at least one for each general category of magic wielded by students), classrooms, and even an on-site mall to be constructed. As the new school year comes upon the school, arriving students are becoming acquainted with their transformed environment and older students are preparing their minds for another year of study.
 
Rules:
  1. Be respectful of others and their characters,
  2. No one-liners (at minimum five sentences per post),
  3. Romance is allowed and encouraged but do please keep it within forum rules.
 
Categories of Magic:
  1. Fire,
  2. Earth (subcategories: metal, crystal),
  3. Wind + Lightning,
  4. Water + Ice,
  5. Light,
  6. Dark,
  7. Artificial (magitech equipment can grant powers not normally usable, but they run only on the blood of a magic-user with the desired power),
  8. Special cases (shamans, witch doctors, power-resisters, multipowers).
 
Character Types:
  1. Students (1st years, 2nd years, 3rd years, and 4th years),
  2. Teachers (one for each power and several others teaching special courses),
  3. Vice Principal (Lilith Plowse is the principal, but the vice principal spot is up for grabs),
  4. Villainous accomplices (see final paragraph).
 
Everyone starts at first-year level, regardless of how powerful they are. 4th year students can stay 4th-year and continue their magical studies for as long as they like; graduation from the school isn't mandatory and there are no higher tiers of studenthood.
In the interests of fairness, no-one is allowed both a teacher character and a multipowered character simultaneously, regardless of how powerful the teacher is. As a corollary, multipowered characters are generally only permitted up to 3 of the powers listed.
 
There is an overarching storyline to this RP, involving a man named Shahal Blackrose and his accomplices (many of whom mysteriously manifest multipowers), who are devoted to destroying a powerful runic spell hidden within Salem University itself. This spell was created to seal away a dark plane of existence and prevent its demonic occupants from breaking out and destroying the world as we know it, which means it is imperative that Blackrose be stopped.
Several character positions may be applied for within Shahal's group of accomplices, although they will only be playable later on in the course of the RP. In addition, character fatalities will be incurred on both sides, due to the violent nature of Blackrose's campaign, but not to the point where people will be excluded from the RP because all their characters were killed, not without extensive PM discussion with the people involved, and not because we have a grudge against you/your character; it's purely for plot-progression purposes.
 
 
 
Application Format:
  1. Link to character/s you want to apply with,
  2. Their magical category,
  3. Their character type (including whether they're human or Pelajae).
Edited by Duality
  • Brohoof 2
  • yay 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The rp sounds interesting, I'll look at my characters to see if one (or two if possible) is work

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@woodchunks66

Forgot to add application format guideline to original post. Just follow that to apply. :P

  • Teacup 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Duality

Earth (Nature if possible, I'm thinking like 1st Hokage type stuff^_^)

Human! 1st year

 

Edited by woodchunks66
  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the look of this, and totally found it on my own and was not given a link by @Arid_Blitz

Lucius Darkflare

Dark Magic

accomplices

Human

Appearance (just has normal ears):

cc3359da792d5555bdc4a1ad97bd1503.jpg.9bc58b518575b5b809bf364e8ff7cdb2.jpg

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, woodchunks66 said:

@Duality

Earth (Nature if possible, I'm thinking like 1st Hokage type stuff^_^)

Human! 1st year

Nature is definitely possible.

Go right ahead. :P

17 hours ago, reader8363 said:

Is it possible to rp as Shadow and Rose?

https://mlpforums.com/roleplay-characters/shadow-beast-r8717/
Dark Magic
Teacher
Pelajae

https://mlpforums.com/roleplay-characters/rose-beast-r9900/
Dark Magic
1st year student
Pelajae

Sure thing.

Start whenever you feel ready. :proud:

4 hours ago, Skylord Nexus said:

Lucius Darkflare

Dark Magic

accomplices

Human

Link to character page?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Duality said:

Link to character page?

I don't have any character page for him, but I can get it all in words here if you want.

So like:

Name:

Personality:

Age:

Backstory:

etc. if that works

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Skylord Nexus said:

I don't have any character page for him, but I can get it all in words here if you want.

So like:

Name:

Personality:

Age:

Backstory:

etc. if that works

That should be fine, as long as it's as detailed as a normal character page. :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Duality

I think this should be good, if you need anything else just say.

Character Name: Lucius C. Darkflare II

Age: 23

Physical Description: Lucius is about 6 foot , he's quite thin and has messy black hair which is slightly shifted to his right. He has very pale skin and generally wears rather refined, fancy clothing, unless combat is required.

Personality and Traits: Lucius has a tendency to be very out right about situation and to speak his mind (a jerk). He's very cocky and only has respect for people he knows can beat him and does not take anyone else seriously in the slightest. He is also deathly smart, and though seemingly charismatic is very bad and quite in a social setting. Drawn to strong power he can control.

Backstory: Being the heir to a very large fortune, Lucius grew up as royalty and gained most if not all of the bad traits one with such wealth and power stereotypically has and was taught privately. When he was 16 he killed his father out of no where and became the head of his family (which now consisted of only him) and sought out to increase his knowledge, wealth and power. This would eventually lead him to find Shahal and pledge allegiance to his cause, if for no other reason than the power that came with it, however he quickly found that he had (for the first time in his life) found someone he genuinely respected and happily followed and became very loyal to the man, happily giving him access to anything his money could buy. ( @Arid_Blitz seal of backstory approval)

Fighting Ability/Magic: Lucius uses dark magic, generally using fast but weak spells to work an opponent down, but is capable of using some very powerful destructive dark magic which requires time to build up.

Weaknesses: Lucius' biggest weakness is probably his ego and over confidence when fighting, generally never going all out unless he's threatened, this is very obvious as he tends to be very chatty in combat and as he needs to use more power his personality changes from jovial to angry, very angry.


cc3359da792d5555bdc4a1ad97bd1503.jpg.588122e2213715be29358b61f6b79cb8.jpg

Edited by Skylord Nexus
  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Duality said:

That should be fine, as long as it's as detailed as a normal character page. :grin:

Oh oh do u want me to make a new HUMAN character? or will it be ok with the character i have already given u?

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Skylord Nexus said:

@Duality

I think this should be good, if you need anything else just say.

Character Name: Lucius C. Darkflare II

Age: 23

Physical Description: Lucius is about 6 foot , he's quite thin and has messy black hair which is slightly shifted to his right. He has very pale skin and generally wears rather refined, fancy clothing, unless combat is required.

Personality and Traits: Lucius has a tendency to be very out right about situation and to speak his mind (a jerk). He's very cocky and only has respect for people he knows can beat him and does not take anyone else seriously in the slightest. He is also deathly smart, and though seemingly charismatic is very bad and quite in a social setting. Drawn to strong power he can control.

Backstory: Being the heir to a very large fortune, Lucius grew up as royalty and gained most if not all of the bad traits one with such wealth and power stereotypically has and was taught privately. When he was 16 he killed his father out of no where and became the head of his family (which now consisted of only him) and sought out to increase his knowledge, wealth and power. This would eventually lead him to find Shahal and pledge allegiance to his cause, if for no other reason than the power that came with it, however he quickly found that he had (for the first time in his life) found someone he genuinely respected and happily followed and became very loyal to the man, happily giving him access to anything his money could buy. ( @Arid_Blitz seal of backstory approval)

Fighting Ability/Magic: Lucius uses dark magic, generally using fast but weak spells to work an opponent down, but is capable of using some very powerful destructive dark magic which requires time to build up.

Weaknesses: Lucius' biggest weakness is probably his ego and over confidence when fighting, generally never going all out unless he's threatened, this is very obvious as he tends to be very chatty in combat and as he needs to use more power his personality changes from jovial to angry, very angry.


cc3359da792d5555bdc4a1ad97bd1503.jpg.588122e2213715be29358b61f6b79cb8.jpg

Spiffy. Consider him preapproved for accomplice status later in the RP. :D

13 minutes ago, woodchunks66 said:

Oh oh do u want me to make a new HUMAN character? or will it be ok with the character i have already given u?

Nah, pony characters are fine for submission, they're just adjusted in-RP to correspond with their humanisation.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll get a few more and we can begin then I'll start it then o3o

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, reader8363 said:

@Duality

So, do I just start it as the school starts?

Yep!

Salem is a weird and wonderful place, so not much is considered out of the ordinary. :P

 

 

EDIT: @woodchunks66 & @reader8363, I might have been ever-so-slightly premature in telling you that you could start immediately; Arid pointed out that we need a couple more characters before we can get this thing going properly. :adorkable:

Edited by Duality
  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It ok duality o3o we posted at same time lol and I can get started with it and we just integrate the others in

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Name: Lilith Plowse 

Age: 42

Gender: Female

Race: Grey Wolf

Power: ice/crystal

Appearance: Standing only at 4'9 she didnt really seem intimidating at first glance. Her hair was kept short just above her shoulders that was black in color with the tips starting to turn grey...her fur was white with black and grey in areas of her fur. Wearing a pair of black high heels, a black skirt that came down to just below her hips that flowed with each step. Her top was a light pink ruffled shirt that was long sleeve. Her eyes were a light purple color

Background: At a young age she began to display signs of powers her parents were unsure what to do with her and began to get fearful of her. At the age of 14 her powers were growing immensely but they soon began to get out of hand unable to control them even at one point hurting a friend of her's showing off her powers...then one day a young man came into town by the name of Gabriel. Gabriel showed up at her house one day upon hearing of the powers she possessed and even though she thought he was cute she got scared when he questioned her about the powers she had. Thinking he was out to harm her cause of possessing powers she fired ice shards  at him only for him to grab hold of it holding it in his hand destroying the ice with little issue. Years went by and Gabriel and Lilith fell in love opening a school up together. It was small but eventually expanded. 

One year however a student there by the name of Shahal got severely injured during a duel losing an eye and even lose of hearing in his left ear that eventually got fixed. Lilith always worried about Gabriel waking up from nightmares of him dying. He told her not to worry and she tried not to but one night a fight broke out between Shahal and Gabriel...she and the other teachers got there late as they arrived Gabriel was dead on the ground with standing over him. Lilith flew into a fit of rage going after Shahal, the other teachers having to stop her as Shahal made his way into the night. A few years have gone by and she is the new head of the school

Edited by Arid_Blitz
  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Duality said:

Yep!

Salem is a weird and wonderful place, so not much is considered out of the ordinary. :P

 

 

EDIT: @woodchunks66 & @reader8363, I might have been ever-so-slightly premature in telling you that you could start immediately; Arid pointed out that we need a couple more characters before we can get this thing going properly. :adorkable:

Like right now right now?

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll get an ic post in give me a sec imma have it set at auditorium and students should be heading there 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of dark users hey @reader8363 do you wanna change one of them to another element? Also you too @Skylord Nexus for your student or teacher character lucius can stay the darkness lover it's just so we have more diversity lots of choices and if you have a new thing let us know we can work stuff out please begin posting now 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Arid_Blitz

Since dark basically defines Rose and Shadow with their shadow magic, I might be able to give one of them an extra magic or change one to Sorxir, or make Sorxir another character. Which is ever you think is a good choice 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Arid_Blitz @Duality

I have a question on how the magic works,

Are certain types of magic weak against others?

Edited by Skylord Nexus
  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either works @reader8363 sorry didn't wanna be like so much dark magic lol and will explain the weakness when free sorry 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.