Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

(edited)

@Buck Testa

I'm thinking a few articles along the lines of On the Relativity of Runescript and Intent Implies Inscription - Are Arcane Architectures Absolute? (alliteration is important), as well as a book titled something like Glyphs: The Geometry of Magic.

Why do you ask?

Edited by Duality

8 minutes ago, Duality said:

@Buck Testa

I'm thinking a few articles along the lines of On the Relativity of Runescript and Intent Implies Inscription - Are Arcane Architectures Absolute? (alliteration is important), and a book titled something like Glyphs: The Geometry of Magic.

Why do you ask?

My character is academically gifted, part of the reason she got in so young. I'd imagine she'd have read a few of their books. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
38 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

My character is academically gifted, part of the reason she got in so young. I'd imagine she'd have read a few of their books. 

Oh? Didn't you mention that she didn't really understand how her power worked and just did it intuitively? Surely if she was academically gifted she'd understand how her magic worked more than that. :o

Edited by Duality

6 minutes ago, Duality said:

Oh? Didn't you mention that she didn't really understand how her power worked and just did it intuitively? Surely if she was academically gifted she'd understand how her magic worked more than that. :o

Just because you read a book on surgery doesn't mean you're qualified to be a surgeon right? The way I figure it she's gifted in the more traditional sense of academics, the maths and sciences and what not. When it comes to magic it's been more of an intuitive process for her. That may of even been why she read those books, cause she's had a hard time breaking out of just using magic in her intuitive, freeform way. She's grown up being the only magical person in her life so far since she's been secluded in the Don's estate. Lack of exposure to proper magic and her own personal roadblocks in trying to teach herself could all attribute to how she can be academically gifted while still being very intuitive and raw with how she controls magic. 

• Brohoof 1

Seeing how young and fresh to this whole teaching thing Ira is, I'd say she'd have written (and only 'cause it would be obligatory for her) one publication so far. "Desert Maelstrom", on how to recognize how much potential your power may have based on the surroundings you find yourself in, as well as how to prepare yourself for harsh environments where your skills might be of less use than you've expected.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, dragon4111 said:

@Khajiit

Oi Ghalan isn't weak.

'scuse me? Have I made a faux pas? Am I missing something D: ? I need to edit stuff?

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Khajiit said:

'scuse me? Have I made a faux pas? Am I missing something D: ? I need to edit stuff?

Were you talking about my character? She's powerful, but it's really unrefined and wild right now. Those who would be able to sense it would probably complain about the lack of finesse and fine control it has, or how she is just leaving her magics control to her subconscious and emotions instead of really taking control of it. 

2 minutes ago, dragon4111 said:

@Khajiit

Hmm well I thought you were talking about Ghalan sorry.

They were talking about the ice shield and the fight between Blackrose and Kirith. It was only weak relative to all the huge magics going on near the front of the building and most of the staff know how to keep their magic subtle to avoid prying eyes anyway, Ghalan feasibly included.

3 minutes ago, Khajiit said:

He thought the 'weak source of magic' that Jeeves mentioned was Ghalan.

Just now, Buck Testa said:

Were you talking about my character? She's powerful, but it's really unrefined and wild right now. Those who would be able to sense it would probably complain about the lack of finesse and fine control it has, or how she is just leaving her magics control to her subconscious and emotions instead of really taking control of it. 

Just now, Duality said:

They were talking about the ice shield and the fight between Blackrose and Kirith. It was only weak relative to all the huge magics going on near the front of the building and most of the staff know how to keep their magic subtle to avoid prying eyes anyway, Ghalan feasibly included.

He thought the 'weak source of magic' that Jeeves mentioned was Ghalan.

AH, NOW I get it!

It's as Duality said, weak magic is basically Ira's spell shield. Dru was mentioned here as a spike of energy from in front of the building.

I'm having Jeeves fulfill the role of magic-sensitive "detector". Figured that well, Ley was always focused on her own powers, her sensing of magic is quite limited. So she's relying on Jeeves to support her in this and a few different fields.

• Brohoof 2

No worries, OOC is for discussing and clarifying any issues you may encounter. And I'm more than happy to edit my posts if situation required.

• Brohoof 1

@Duality

Seeing how Duality's monitoring Ley's position, which way is Duality leading Druantia? Considering she knows where Ley is, is she currently avoiding meeting her or heading towards her?

@Arid_Blitz

You mentioned you wanted Lilith to stumble across Ira? Omitting the fact it's to have her head (again), is this still thr plan or you'll throw her at different place/character after all :P ?

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Khajiit said:

Seeing how Duality's monitoring Ley's position, which way is Duality leading Druantia? Considering she knows where Ley is, is she currently avoiding meeting her or heading towards her?

Duality's heading towards her; Ley's lost near the library, which she amended her tour route to head in the direction of.

She's trying to clean up after the bungling welcoming committees as much as possible.

16 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

@Duality You gave my character a rune stone to have her power stop running rampant right? What would you say it does real quick? I have an idea but I just want to make sure it works with what you had in mind. 

The rock doesn't technically 'do' anything in and of itself. It's just a ink-doodled pebble.

Dru's belief in the power of the rock and her focus on it, on the other hand, should serve to make her animal-like magic 'sit', so to speak. What that looks like depends on what Dru thinks it would look like.

My character has a thing for Yoda ploys. :P

@Duality hope the post was good. I was thinking about ways this could tire out her magic and make it inactive for a small bit and that came to mind. I like the idea that Druantia never learned how to properly focus her magic, so it's been spread out over this wide area all this time. It gradually gets less dense as it extends out from her, but at it's most extreme the aura reaches outside of her Don's sizeable estate, which has quite a few acres. She's nowhere near adept enough to utilize that much coverage, but perhaps one day. 

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

@Duality hope the post was good. I was thinking about ways this could tire out her magic and make it inactive for a small bit and that came to mind. I like the idea that Druantia never learned how to properly focus her magic, so it's been spread out over this wide area all this time. It gradually gets less dense as it extends out from her, but at it's most extreme the aura reaches outside of her Don's sizeable estate, which has quite a few acres. She's nowhere near adept enough to utilize that much coverage, but perhaps one day. 

Just a small amendment, but runes can look like whatever you want them to look like, as long as you ascribe some meaning to them for the channelling of intent-magic through them. The more meaning you ascribe to them, the more effectively they channel intent-magic, but they hold no power without the actual intent-magic being channelled through them.

There are systemic 'alphabets' of runes that different schools of convention use, some very widespread in usage indeed, but more advanced rune users usually have one or more personal, customised 'alphabets' to prevent unwanted deciphering and reverse-engineering of their spells, so Dru probably wouldn't take much note of the actual appearance of the rune on the pebble unless it visibly fit some standardised system of runic convention - which it does, in fact, it's drawn in accordance with the SI system of runes, Duality just didn't place any intent-magic in it.

Another thing, though, if it's not too much trouble, is it possible for you to tweak the timeline of Dru's magical suppression and snap-back so that the majority of her power fluctuation happens after the events of my post? Duality wasn't lost so far into her thoughts that she was ignoring Dru entirely and she was actively using her magic-detection skills, so I'm just having a bit of trouble thinking of how she could have overlooked such a massive magical event happening right next to her. :lie:

Perhaps a gradual build-up of magic within the stone as Dru painstakingly reels in her powers, and only after she responds tiredly to Duality about optimum body disposal her magic suppression reaches the critical point where it starts condensing into visible form and becoming too much for her?

1 hour ago, Duality said:

Just a small amendment, but runes can look like whatever you want them to look like, as long as you ascribe some meaning to them for the channelling of intent-magic through them. The more meaning you ascribe to them, the more effectively they channel intent-magic, but they hold no power without the actual intent-magic being channelled through them.

There are systemic 'alphabets' of runes that different schools of convention use, some very widespread in usage indeed, but more advanced rune users usually have one or more personal, customised 'alphabets' to prevent unwanted deciphering and reverse-engineering of their spells, so Dru probably wouldn't take much note of the actual appearance of the rune on the pebble unless it visibly fit some standardised system of runic convention - which it does, in fact, it's drawn in accordance with the SI system of runes, Duality just didn't place any intent-magic in it.

Another thing, though, if it's not too much trouble, is it possible for you to tweak the timeline of Dru's magical suppression and snap-back so that the majority of her power fluctuation happens after the events of my post? Duality wasn't lost so far into her thoughts that she was ignoring Dru entirely and she was actively using her magic-detection skills, so I'm just having a bit of trouble thinking of how she could have overlooked such a massive magical event happening right next to her. :lie:

Perhaps a gradual build-up of magic within the stone as Dru painstakingly reels in her powers, and only after she responds tiredly to Duality about optimum body disposal her magic suppression reaches the critical point where it starts condensing into visible form and becoming too much for her?

Sure I can alter the timeline a bit. I get what you mean about not wanting your character to ignore what was going on. 

@Duality there, did a little edit. How's that?

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Buck Testa said:

Sure I can alter the timeline a bit. I get what you mean about not wanting your character to ignore what was going on. 

@Duality there, did a little edit. How's that?

It's great. Thanks for the timeline revision. :D

Dru wouldn't have to know what the rune meant, though; seeing as Duality was the one who created it, she's the only one who would have to know what it meant in order to infuse it with intent-magic.

On a more important note, however, I know how fast you can write things up, so I'm just staking my claim here and now on posting before you in response to both your post and @Khajiit's. I intend to post within the day, but this is just so I don't get behind on affairs. :P

5 minutes ago, Duality said:

It's great. Thanks for the timeline revision. :D

Dru wouldn't have to know what the rune meant, though; seeing as Duality was the one who created it, she's the only one who would have to know what it meant in order to infuse it with intent-magic.

On a more important note, however, I know how fast you can write things up, so I'm just staking my claim here and now on posting before you in response to both your post and @Khajiit's. I intend to post within the day, but this is just so I don't get behind on affairs. :P

We can just chalk that up to Dru's inexperience with actual spells. 

Alrighty I'll hold off on posting. You're right, I can type up replies fairly quickly when I'm into something lol. 

• Brohoof 1