Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

2 minutes ago, Arid_Blitz said:

Hey can someone give me cliff notes to catch up on here? Meds and cold are making me wanna pass out like constantly lol

Ira and Rouen are where they were left off.

Druantia (Buck) has formally arrived, and Dr. Wave Particle (Duality) is currently showing her around the University. They're in the hallways. They've stumbled upon Ley, and Dru + Ley had a little confrontation let's say, which was quickly finished before it started by Ghalan (dragon), in a way that made Ley furious and Dru, to say the least, displeased. They've been joined up by Shadow as well (reader). The two major locations now is Ira vs Rouen + University halls with Shadow, Ley, Dru and Wave. Ghalan strolled away from the site after he's been assured by Wave that she has everything under control.

Other characters do not seem to be engaged in anything with different chars.

• Brohoof 1

@Khajiit @Buck Testa @dragon4111

Sorry to hold our whole scene up, but I'm going to have to work on my project right up to the deadline tomorrow and then sort out all the work that I've had to postpone until the project is completed.

I might not get up a post for a couple of days, but it'd take a lot to stop me from posting within a week; for comparison, it's taken me ten hours of sustained mathematical analysis of wastewater pipes over the last two days to stop me from posting thus far. :sealed:

Don't stress yourself out over the RP or you'll burn out faster than you can count to three ;x

• Brohoof 1

On 4/29/2018 at 2:31 AM, Duality said:

@Khajiit @Buck Testa @dragon4111

Sorry to hold our whole scene up, but I'm going to have to work on my project right up to the deadline tomorrow and then sort out all the work that I've had to postpone until the project is completed.

I might not get up a post for a couple of days, but it'd take a lot to stop me from posting within a week; for comparison, it's taken me ten hours of sustained mathematical analysis of wastewater pipes over the last two days to stop me from posting thus far. :sealed:

Eta on next post? 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

Eta on next post? 

Tomorrow, day after, aiming for.

Come down with whatever it is people come down with after forty hours of sustained wastewater analysis in a mere handful of days. :scoots:

15 hours ago, Duality said:

Tomorrow, day after, aiming for.

Come down with whatever it is people come down with after forty hours of sustained wastewater analysis in a mere handful of days. :scoots:

looking forward to it! I'm itching to post. 

My post is live! Sorry to all for the delay. :please:

@dragon4111 @Buck Testa @Khajiit @Arid_Blitz @Denim&Venom @reader8363 @Mentis Soliloquy 

Lore Updates:

1. All dormitories have very powerful and equally thorough magical suppression runes built into them to prevent any injury occurring to mostly-defenceless sleeping students, with a personal pentagram inset in each room to allow limited spellcasting (restricted to within its two-meter-diameter sphere of influence). These suppression runes take the appearance of an intricate artistic mural on the walls, floor, and ceiling of all rooms and corridors within the dorms, and the pentagrams are traditional in appearance, detailed arcane inscriptions and all, but style-matched to the suppression runes.
  2. Cursory details of how to schedule a duel are given here, second paragraph.
  3. Staff offices have an enchanted-nameplate system for notification of when students are present at their office, explained here, third paragraph.
  • Brohoof 2

Still in mountains. Might be low quality ;x

20180505_101809.thumb.jpg.2c3fb205fa2768d1dd1e06e49ede0004.jpg

@Duality

Duality, I need a precise description of library. Is it few levels, does it seem enormous and goes on seemingly forever, or is it just a few rooms filled with books or stuff. Details, if available.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
9 hours ago, Duality said:

All dormitories have very powerful and equally thorough magical suppression runes built into them to prevent any injury occurring to mostly-defenceless sleeping students, with a personal pentagram inset in each room to allow limited spellcasting (restricted to within its two-meter-diameter sphere of influence). These suppression runes take the appearance of an intricate artistic mural on the walls, floor, and ceiling of all rooms and corridors within the dorms, and the pentagrams are traditional in appearance, detailed arcane inscriptions and all, but style-matched to the suppression runes.

I have a feeling this was made in response to my character. However I would like to point out something you posted earlier in the RP

On 4/26/2018 at 3:13 AM, Duality said:

Duality gave her companion a look of mild concern as the magical intensity levels in the corridor took such a leap that she lost track of the demidaemon student's formidable energy signature, then stopped dead as she took in the fast-becoming-molten remains of Druantia's pebble and the violently pulsating aura-condensate still pumping power into the stone. Even as she watched, the flux of energy surrounding the student reached visible-light levels of concentration, heating the air around them to uncomfortably high temperatures. Just as she tensed her hands and prepared herself to step in and disperse the magic forcibly, it snapped back to its original passive configuration in a massive pulse of power, passing through the dissipation runes on the walls like they were nothing.

It's also been written in a few areas that Druantia's magic could be felt in other parts of the school, both by me and others. 

However I am down with this addition with some stipulations. Because of the unusual nature of Druantia's magical aura, it is able to get past a few layers of suppression magic before it's fully dissipated. The closer those barriers are, the easier it is for her magic to get through, because of how her magic is denser and more potent the closer it is to her person. What this would translate to is her field of influence would be smaller inside of the school, but she would be able to get through defenses most students normally wouldn't be able to. Here's a visual of what I mean. 

RadialGradient_gradient1.png

Lets say this is Druantia's Unhindered Aura (as in her aura that she has when she is not in the school). With no restrictions or barriers, its reach is about the radius of the Mafia's estate. I'm thinking about 5000 acres or 7.8125 square miles. That sounds like a lot, but She can only effectively use a portion of this right now. 

the Red part is what Druantia's used to manipulating. This is where her unfocused magic is at its most pliable to her. She's used to using her magic via line of sight. Like I've mentioned before, this is entirely intuitive and she has very little idea of how she does the things she does. 

The yellow ring is the boarder of her line of sight influence. This is where her magic starts to become less dense and potent. The Green after that only has minor influence from her powers. Major changes in her emotional state can translate to things like plants changing color or moving as if their is a breeze when there isn't, but as far as dramatic changes like combat effective uses, it's relatively minor right now. The light blue ring around that would represent her absolute limit of her aura's reach, and where it stops. This ring is the aforementioned 7.8125  square miles. At this limit, most wouldn't even be able to tell there is magic there at all given how weak it is at this distance. 

Please note I am not saying she can USE all of this right now. She's only used to and familiar with using the magic in the red aura section. The yellow onward only has cosmetic effects that hint to the fact that Druantia is in the area, but ultimately she doesn't know how to weaponize this right now, as she's only vaguely aware her power goes out that far to begin with. 

Her red/line of sight section of her aura would have a reach of a couple miles tops, and she'd only really effectively use that right now by being able to see it. This is also why her magic started broaching the visual spectrum when she focused all of it. Because she was drawing the far reaching aura into one point. 

Now, to apply this to the school. I do not know how big it is, but lets say it's fair to assume that there is enough barriers in place that it would suppress Druantia's aura by quite a bit. While she'd be able to get through a few rooms worth of defenses, her influence would probably run out of steam before it reached the other end of the school. Teachers would know that Druantia's room is going to need far heavier barriers than most due to how far reaching her magic is. They would also need to teach her how to control her aura better so she isn't invading other peoples private spaces all the time with her power, even unintentionally. 

Long story short: While the barriers are effective at keeping normal students magic in check, the teachers will be realizing that because of Druantia's unusual range and potency in her magical aura, they are going to need to fortify the school and make sure they teach her how to manage her abilities better as soon as humanly possible. 

Edited by Buck Testa

(edited)
12 hours ago, Khajiit said:

Duality, I need a precise description of library. Is it few levels, does it seem enormous and goes on seemingly forever, or is it just a few rooms filled with books or stuff. Details, if available.

It's not very large in terms of floor area, but it goes up seven stories. Stock-standard bookcases are neatly arranged in a compact but not claustrophobic arrangement, and every second floor is a mezzanine, making three mezzanines in all with the top storey set aside without one (since the seventh floor is a relatively secure archive). Travel between the floors is by a staircase in one corner. People don't go up to the sixth storey much if they don't have to since from there you can hear the rattle of the seventh-storey books' chains. Any other details you'd like clarified?

6 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

I have a feeling this was made in response to my character. However I would like to point out something you posted earlier in the RP

There are dissipation runes installed throughout the school, but most of them are just generic commercial-grade runes designed to disperse only a middling-sized portion of normal magical fluctuations to prevent major damage to the school in most power-pulse incidents. This is why Druantia's aura can be felt at long distances and why her shockwave of magic passed through the ones on the corridor walls 'like they were nothing'. The runes in the student dormitories, on the other hand, are bona-fide multi-master-staff-member-imbued encrypted suppression runes draining active magic directly into the school's central magical power grid energy storage, designed to make students feel utterly and totally secure within their living quarters under any and all circumstances. They can suppress teacher-level magic, they can suppress daemon-level magic, and they can suppress Druantia-level magic; this school was designed for prodigies. The same lore also applies to the teacher dorms, for identical reasons (although the teachers have larger pentagrams). The dorms are quite literally antimagic fortresses, and the only people who can work magic within their walls are registered teachers with a live permission amulet, which are surrounded with such formidable levels of bureaucracy that most teachers never see one activated in their entire time employed at the school.

This lore wasn't just made as a response to your character, it was merely a result of the realisation that powerful and/or skilled students/teachers could simply take their rivals out as they slept if there were no secure protective enchantments in place around the dorms, and some thought around the psychological impact that such a possibility could have on anyone who stood out from the crowd in terms of ability or personality. There are personal pentagrams for people who want to practice magic in private, there are training grounds for people who want to practice magic too large for their pentagrams, and there are dorm rooms for those who want to rest easy in the knowledge that nobody - nobody - can harm them in their beds.

Edited by Duality

11 minutes ago, Duality said:

There are dissipation runes installed throughout the school, but most of them are just generic commercial-grade runes designed to disperse only a middling-sized portion of normal magical fluctuations to prevent major damage to the school in most power-pulse incidents. This is why Druantia's aura can be felt at long distances and why her shockwave of magic passed through the ones on the corridor walls 'like they were nothing'. The runes in the student dormitories, on the other hand, are bona-fide multi-master-staff-member-imbued encrypted suppression runes draining active magic directly into the school's central magical power grid energy storage, designed to make students feel utterly and totally secure within their living quarters under any and all circumstances. They can suppress teacher-level magic, they can suppress daemon-level magic, and they can suppress Druantia-level magic; this school was designed for prodigies. The same lore also applies to the teacher dorms, for identical reasons (although the teachers have larger pentagrams). The dorms are quite literally antimagic fortresses, and the only people who can work magic within their walls are registered teachers with a live permission amulet, which are surrounded with such formidable levels of bureaucracy that most teachers never see one activated in their entire time employed at the school.

This lore wasn't just made as a response to your character, it was merely a result of the realisation that powerful and/or skilled students/teachers could simply take their rivals out as they slept if there were no secure protective enchantments in place around the dorms, and some thought around the psychological impact that such a possibility could have on anyone who stood out from the crowd in terms of ability or personality. There are personal pentagrams for people who want to practice magic in private, there are training grounds for people who want to practice magic too large for their pentagrams, and there are dorm rooms for those who want to rest easy in the knowledge that nobody - nobody - can harm them in their beds.

Alrighty, that seems reasonable enough. The Dormitories are supreme safe zones, while the rest of the school is less restrictive on such things. I can work with that. 

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Duality said:

You can hear the rattle of the seventh-storey books' chains. Any other details you'd like clarified?

Chains eh? But the librarian isn't a banana eating mon- I mean Orangutan, quite easily offended with pretty effective right hook?

How would one go for searching books they need? Librarian? Or there's an explanation on how they are catalogued?

• Brohoof 1

25 minutes ago, Khajiit said:

Chains eh? But the librarian isn't a banana eating mon- I mean Orangutan, quite easily offended with pretty effective right hook?

Saw clean through my franchise ripoff. :P

27 minutes ago, Khajiit said:

How would one go for searching books they need? Librarian? Or there's an explanation on how they are catalogued?

There're librarians and the shelves are sorted with the Dewey Decimal System and labelled according to genre and subject. Just because the library is magical doesn't mean it has to be obtusely organised. :orly:

6 minutes ago, Duality said:

Saw clean through my franchise ripoff. :P

I am SO referencing L-space once we get there.

I ought to be able to pull a post off in up to 30 hours, still settling in after returning home. Unavoidable delays.

EDIT: Got Ira's post ready, but murdelizing myself over Ley's one. A lot of words said and time passed making me excercise to properly put everything in words without having a chance to speak while still staying in character.

• Brohoof 1