Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

25 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

Actually: @Duality remember that glyph you had Dru focus on earlier that ended up not working? Why not reappropriate it into this scenario and teach Dru how to calm her magic down on the fly to help save her life. It could be the first spell Dru learns. 

Oooooo I like that.

Oh, don't worry, I've put a good bit of thought into how Duality could bring up that snippet of canon again and deescalate things in a suitably cinematic manner. Working on the post now. :P

We should absolutely get some Aeromancers to take care of all that ash. And they would have to be absolutely angry for their nicknames of leaf blowers due to their autumn tasks.

Glad Ley isn't anywhere around all of this. She can remain oblivious as to what happened exactly, although she obviously cannot ignore the fact that the duelling hall got absolutely demolished. Now, to have Ira arrive at the location... gonna have to type something out today for them both. Lo and behold though, as they shall face deadly camomiles and sword fens. As I have already established in my mind, but might just briefly mention it.

• Brohoof 1

@Duality @dragon4111 @Denim&Venom @Passion @Arid_Blitz

Thank you everyone for coming along with me on that wild ride. This concludes the introduction of Druantia into the game. It honestly went even better than I planned it too.

She's gonna be recovering a bit after that event, and I may say that her magic itself is sore and needs to rest even more than her body. Sort of like after a massive workout, your body needs time to recover and strengthen itself. Dru nearly killed herself with how much magic she was pumping out, so it'll be a bit before she's back to full strength. 

Dru is also going to be struggling with fear of losing control again. She was terrified when she found out she couldn't stop what was happening. That's going to need working out. 

Salem's grounds have gone through some landscaping. Until Dru can properly fix it, all the plants are frozen in mid attack around campus and will continue to grow from there. It should be noted that Drus magic still risidually resides in many of the plants and could have interesting concequences. 

At this point, Dru will have achieved a minor celeb status among students and faculty. The child prodigy who threw the whole school into lockdown just from a duel. People will be both afraid of her and wanting to size her up for a fight. 

Surprises are going to come from this event as well. You don't pump that much wild magic into a place without it having unforseen consequences. 

Evil individuals, if they haven't already scouted Dru, will definitely be interested in her now. A chaotic magic user who's very aura laughs with insanity would be right up their alley. 

However like I said, she's still a kid. There is plenty of time to steer her in the right direction.

• Brohoof 2

@dragon4111 @Buck Testa @Mentis Soliloquy @Passion @reader8363 @Denim&Venom

Dibs next post. Arrived home today to find a veritable wall of posts waiting for me. :P

I've been planning to create a section of the OP of this thread dedicated to all the characters and members in this RP with links to their application posts etc., so we know who to tag in posts like this and where to get info on their characters, but I'll need a while to set it up on top of all the posts that the aftermath of Dru's demolition merits. Can anyone think of a member I didn't mention just now, or have I got them all? Other than that one guy who applied with an evil character for later in the RP.

16 minutes ago, dragon4111 said:

@Buck Testa

Umm Ghalan currently has his hand upon Dru's head using his healing magic on her to help her.

Oh? Well she's less hurt physically than just supremely exausted both physically and magically. I'm not sure what your healing abilities can do but I'm planning on her being bedridden for a bit. 

22 minutes ago, dragon4111 said:

@Buck Testa

Umm Ghalan currently has his hand upon Dru's head using his healing magic on her to help her.

He should be glad Ira probably won't have the chance to learn of Dru's state before he finishes his job, otherwise she'd be the first one to literally smack his hands to stop it as while he might know a few healing tricks, he's not a specialized medic nor an expert in healing magic. Therefore he cannot precisely establish what is the extent of damage Dru has suffered and has no idea if healing he's administering is helpful or, quite the opposite, detrimential.

And then she'd smack him again for the state he has gotten himself into.

That being said, oh God. I thought of a perfect entrance for Ira. This'll be so much like her.

2 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

Oh? Well she's less hurt physically than just supremely exausted both physically and magically. I'm not sure what your healing abilities can do but I'm planning on her being bedridden for a bit. 

Do you now? Excellent excellent.

@Passion @dragon4111 Yes. I also plan on having her magic dialed back a bit on account of exhaustion, as well as maybe @Duality placing magical restrainers on Dru. Both to keep her wild magic more controlled and prevent more incidents, and also to force Dru to learn how to use spells instead of relying on her intuitive control.

If you've seen Pokemon the first movie, think mechanically like Mewtwos armor that Geovanni gave him.

• Brohoof 1

@dragon4111 @Denim&Venom @Mentis Soliloquy @Arid_Blitz @reader8363 @Buck Testa @Passion

Duality's dehydrated, worn out, and in her fifties, cut the poor lady some slack. :please:

I'm putting her out of action in the infirmary alongside Dru for a while because:

1. I am leaving on a five-day-ish trip the day after tomorrow and will have no access to wifi, and
  2. I'm seeing a budding opportunity for Duality to act as a mentor of sorts to Dru, and I like the way it's playing out so far.

I'm delaying the dinner bell idea I mentioned earlier because Dru's duel went way more eventfully than I initially planned for, so just continue your characters' work at dealing with the aftermath of the Abomination until I get back and reassess the situation. Dragon, your character can be either in the infirmary too or stubbornly refusing to get checked up on, depending on which you think would best suit his personality, Denim and Reader, your characters are must shall have been instructed to find someone who can contain all that icky ash (prestidigitating a random NPC out of nowhere is perfectly fine for this), and Passion, your character can do basically whatever she wants but she won't be meeting Duality at the remains of the duelling hall, sad to say. Have fun and don't kill each other until I return. :P

10 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

I might need to use Druantia in a story. She is quite fun to write for. 

I ain't letting you have more fun than I have with Ley! It's unfair! QUIT HAVING FUN! D:

Anyway, I'm kinda in a pickle. Everything played out completely different than I had in mind for both my chars. Unless Dru is diagnosed with "she'll be fine just needs to rest" and is transported to dorms for rest, I'll probably have Ley just get some foodstuffs and then prepare to sleep. Ley surely will NOT be using public cafeteria.

Ira needs to get her head around the mess, even though she won't even see the culprit. And then I guess since I have no plans for her, I'll have report for whatever investigation the so-called admins will have until the lunch-supper-whatever.

• Brohoof 1

33 minutes ago, Passion said:

I ain't letting you have more fun than I have with Ley! It's unfair! QUIT HAVING FUN! D:

I-Regret-Nothing-Cat.png

37 minutes ago, Passion said:

Anyway, I'm kinda in a pickle. Everything played out completely different than I had in mind for both my chars. Unless Dru is diagnosed with "she'll be fine just needs to rest" and is transported to dorms for rest, I'll probably have Ley just get some foodstuffs and then prepare to sleep. Ley surely will NOT be using public cafeteria.

Ira needs to get her head around the mess, even though she won't even see the culprit. And then I guess since I have no plans for her, I'll have report for whatever investigation the so-called admins will have until the lunch-supper-whatever.

Sorry about that. I really wanted events to be a surprise. While some of it was done on the fly, I fully intended on it going to hell and then having her knocked out at the end by her own exhaustion. 

39 minutes ago, Passion said:

Dru will probably end up in her dorm to rest after checkup and healing anyway, since there's so much demand for rooms in the infirmary at the moment. If her injuries are reasonably serious she'd have a nurse in there with her to keep an eye on her and continue administering treatment, but whether that's the case is pretty much up to Buck's discretion.

6 minutes ago, Duality said:

Dru will probably end up in her dorm to rest after checkup and healing anyway, since there's so much demand for rooms in the infirmary at the moment. If her injuries are reasonably serious she'd have a nurse in there with her to keep an eye on her and continue administering treatment, but whether that's the case is pretty much up to Buck's discretion.

She is exhausted in the D&D sense of the word. Description of which is in the spoiler. 

Spoiler

Some Special Abilities and environmental hazards, such as starvation and the long-­term effects of freezing or scorching temperatures, can lead to a Special condition called exhaustion. Exhaustion is measured in six levels. An effect can give a creature one or more levels of exhaustion, as specified in the effect’s description.

Exhaustion Effects
Level Effect
1 Disadvantage on Ability Checks
2 Speed halved
3 Disadvantage on Attack rolls and Saving Throws
4 Hit point maximum halved
5 Speed reduced to 0
6 Death

If an already exhausted creature suffers another effect that causes exhaustion, its current level of exhaustion increases by the amount specified in the effect’s description.

A creature suffers the effect of its current level of exhaustion as well as all lower levels. For example, a creature suffering level 2 exhaustion has its speed halved and has disadvantage on Ability Checks.

An effect that removes exhaustion reduces its level as specified in the effect’s description, with all exhaustion effects ending if a creature’s exhaustion level is reduced below 1.

Finishing a Long Rest reduces a creature’s exhaustion level by 1, provided that the creature has also ingested some food and drink.

She's at level 5 using that rating system, which would mean it'll take her about a week to recover enough to move about fully. 

Her magic of course also needs time to recover. Like a muscle, it has been extremely worn down and needs time to heal and develop itself so it doesn't wear out like that as fast.

physically though, she has some bruises and a nasty fever. 

• Brohoof 1

@Buck Testa @Duality @Passion @dragon4111

I actually have an idea regarding the abomination and the ash laden gym. Borrowing from the White Wolf games where Miko and Mindy are based, what if the plant monster wasn't just Dru's wild magic? What if her magic was powerful enough to actually generate it's own corporeal plant spirit, or rather the corrupted version of one, called a Bane. 

Spoiler

Banes run the full gamut, from weak and relatively harmless to hideously powerful creatures capable of rending reality around them. Weak Banes are frequently used to infect humans and animals, turning them into fomori.

More powerful Banes can completely possess their host, obliterating all traces of their previous personality. More powerful Banes can also materialize in the real world, without need to possess a host. They will simply manifest horrible twisted versions of their spiritual form in the real world and go about their business.

There are many different types of Banes; some of the more notable varieties include:

Elemental Banes- these Wyrmish elementals mirror the traditional four elements in corrupted form: toxin (water), smog (air), sludge (earth), and balefire (fire).

Remember that Miko teaches a class about animism in magic, how enough magic in a certain place or item can gain sentience, explaining the presence of ghosts and spirits. Perhaps Dru's concentration of magic was so powerful, she created a plant Bane. Not only that, but the contaminated ash could turn the gym into a breeding ground for other bane spirits, sentient magic gone crazy. Dru essentially turned the school gym into the magical equivalent of 3 mile island. A lot of work will be done not just magically, but spiritually, in the odd mix of magic and faith. So any practitioners from the campus' shrines, temples, chapels, etc may need to be involved too. 

Part exorcism, part environmental clean up.    

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

@Buck Testa @Duality @Passion @dragon4111

I actually have an idea regarding the abomination and the ash laden gym. Borrowing from the White Wolf games where Miko and Mindy are based, what if the plant monster wasn't just Dru's wild magic? What if her magic was powerful enough to actually generate it's own corporeal plant spirit, or rather the corrupted version of one, called a Bane. 

Reveal hidden contents

Banes run the full gamut, from weak and relatively harmless to hideously powerful creatures capable of rending reality around them. Weak Banes are frequently used to infect humans and animals, turning them into fomori.

More powerful Banes can completely possess their host, obliterating all traces of their previous personality. More powerful Banes can also materialize in the real world, without need to possess a host. They will simply manifest horrible twisted versions of their spiritual form in the real world and go about their business.

There are many different types of Banes; some of the more notable varieties include:

Elemental Banes- these Wyrmish elementals mirror the traditional four elements in corrupted form: toxin (water), smog (air), sludge (earth), and balefire (fire).

Remember that Miko teaches a class about animism in magic, how enough magic in a certain place or item can gain sentience, explaining the presence of ghosts and spirits. Perhaps Dru's concentration of magic was so powerful, she created a plant Bane. Not only that, but the contaminated ash could turn the gym into a breeding ground for other bane spirits, sentient magic gone crazy. Dru essentially turned the school gym into the magical equivalent of 3 mile island. A lot of work will be done not just magically, but spiritually, in the odd mix of magic and faith. So any practitioners from the campus' shrines, temples, chapels, etc may need to be involved too. 

Part exorcism, part environmental clean up.    

I'm fine either way, contingent on Buck's decision on whether he wants the Abomination to have been a Bane, but the contaminated-ash-breeding-ground idea could still be implemented regardless of what Buck chooses regarding the nature of the Abomination, since 'enough magic in a certain place or item can gain sentience' even if the magic isn't sentient to begin with (like the books in the seventh storey of the university library). It'd take a while for any banes to start grouping at the remains of the duelling hall, yes?

Just now, Duality said:

I'm fine either way, contingent on Buck's decision on whether he wants the Abomination to have been a Bane, but the contaminated-ash-breeding-ground idea could still be implemented regardless of what Buck chooses regarding the nature of the Abomination, since 'enough magic in a certain place or item can gain sentience' even if the magic isn't sentient to begin with (like the books in the seventh storey of the university library). It'd take a while for any banes to start grouping at the remains of the duelling hall, yes?

Correct.

And don't confuser sentience with sapience. Sentience is the ability to perceive and feel. Sapience is the possession of thought, intelligence and wisdom. So the books can sense and feel, but they don't think. They're effectively animals. Just like Dru's abomination. 

3 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Correct.

Ah, good, so the requirement for locking the area down due to banes has a similar time factor to the requirement for locking the area down due to ash. Shouldn't affect much besides the full cleanup later.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Denim&Venom @Duality 

Duality can attest to this; I've actually been toying with a similar idea. 

See, the overwhelming nature of Drus magic mixed with all the trauma she's gone through has caused her to splinter and compartmentalize her psyche. More specifically, the control of her magic has been left in the hands of a malformed persona that resembles that of a barely trained dog. 

It does what Dru wants normally, and at times it almost seems like she's in complete control, however if you get that persona too excited, itll go to a full proverbial sprint and drag Dru along with it. 

For now, it is all instinct and emotion and Dru commands the lionshare of her mind. However now that it has had its first taste of rebellion, it'll want to develop more. 

In a way, it behaves a lot like the banes you describe. A bane of Drus own making so to speak.

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 2