Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

On 7/15/2018 at 2:07 PM, Duality said:

I am leaving on a five-day-ish trip the day after tomorrow and will have no access to wifi, 

@dragon4111

She's going to be bed ridden for a bit from exhaustion so she probably won't be at the dinner. However that could be an option. Why would he want to have her as an apprentice?

On 7/15/2018 at 2:07 PM, Duality said:

I'm seeing a budding opportunity for Duality to act as a mentor of sorts to Dru, and I like the way it's playing out so far.

*coughs*

I swear Ley would laugh her head off at Ghalan if she heard he'd be teaching self-control anyone after how he treated them xD man I so wish I have a chance to do it!

And I guess this is going to give Wave a major headache, another one, in terms of explaining why the University is allowing a janitor to take in apprentices, as he's not officially a teacher :x and it also reeks of favouritism!

Of course, this is an RP, so we can go with anything, but dear me the consequences will be there :D

It would probably need to be in an unofficial capacity since he is a Janitor and not a teacher. If you could perhaps retcon that he once intuitively used his abilities when he was young and kinda understands where she is coming from that could be an angle to work with.

@dragon4111

5 hours ago, dragon4111 said:

@Passion

Considering the fact that he was within his right as a staff member and seeing a fight about to break out?

Is this aimed at me or at Ley? Because if it's at me, then I have no qualms with it. But Ley would definitely not be the first to admit that. I'm not sure she'd even ever be the last :D

Basically, what I think does not reflect what Ley thinks.

A point I'd like to bring up to give you an idea of the scale of chaos that took place. A few pages back in this OOC I indicated that the outer edges of Druantia's aura is 7.8125 square miles, or five thousand acres. Her magic is denser as it gets towards the center, and thinner on the outer edges. Dru only knows how to manipulate from her line of sight, her subconscious alter ego/bane handles the rest of it. 

During the fight, miles upon miles of land was affected by this battle. If the school campus is larger than this aura than it should have contained it, however if there are towns and such within this radius, they were also likely affected. 

If someone gets an eagle eyed view of the campus, they'll see that the trees themselves looked like they were reaching towards the campus. 

@Buck Testa @dragon4111 @Duality 

so I have an idea for another gameplay element to introduce. With such a public magical incident having taken place, someone is gonna get caled in to investigate. So how about we introduce a sort of magical crisis agency that responds to incidents like this, or even hunts down magic criminals behind them. 

I had that being behind one of the reasons why Miko went to teaching. Because the kids who drop out of the system, become hunted by this anti-magic task force, and individuals deemed to powerful and dangerous, even if they were taught control, could be forced to undergo a procedure to have their powers perminantly blocked. Something that might be considered for Druantia. 

This would have to be a country-specific organization,  otherwise it would go in direct conflict with Ley's background of her family riding on power which magic had granted to their lineage. If you consider Ley, she pretty much was such an individual along with her family. Case is, the family built reputation and influence over the years to the point where they coexist with government peacefully, on the basis one does not interfere with the other and Crimson River does not create unrest/incidents themselves. It's a very delicate coexistance.

If Ley was to leave or dropout, you can be certain that if organization insisted on having her locked down would mean an international incident. If we consider magician's military power, I doubt all the countries would be happy-go-lucky with having their most talented and powerful potential combat weapons removed from play. Consider this a nuke disarm program.

I'm fine with this as long ad it's not world-wide and there are global cracks and frictions between the countries regarding the use of such organization.

25 minutes ago, Passion said:

This would have to be a country-specific organization,  otherwise it would go in direct conflict with Ley's background of her family riding on power which magic had granted to their lineage. If you consider Ley, she pretty much was such an individual along with her family. Case is, the family built reputation and influence over the years to the point where they coexist with government peacefully, on the basis one does not interfere with the other and Crimson River does not create unrest/incidents themselves. It's a very delicate coexistance.

If Ley was to leave or dropout, you can be certain that if organization insisted on having her locked down would mean an international incident. If we consider magician's military power, I doubt all the countries would be happy-go-lucky with having their most talented and powerful potential combat weapons removed from play. Consider this a nuke disarm program.

I'm fine with this as long ad it's not world-wide and there are global cracks and frictions between the countries regarding the use of such organization.

Yeah, this would be a federal response. Basically the magical paramilitary equivalent to the DEA or ATF crossed with the EPA in terms of cleaning up literal magic messes. If the ones behind it go on the run, then jurisdiction would get transported to a sort of magic Interpol/ Delta Force. And while I imagine they wouldn't want to cross Ley, if it was a matter of national security, then they wouldn't be afraid to drop the hammer on her and the problem. Someone like Druantia who's just begun tapping into her power could prove provocation enough for a preemptive strike. At the very least she, and probably a few other students and faculty, are probably on a watch list. They'll definitely be putting pressure on the school not to handle things lightly

• Brohoof 1

I'm not down with the idea of permanent removal of magic from someone being a mechanic. Now locking them up in a magic suppression facility or something of that nature could work. Basically something akin to a heavily guarded mental hospital or prison depending on how at fault they are for their actions.it could have a snappy name or something.

• Brohoof 1

39 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

I'm not down with the idea of permanent removal of magic from someone being a mechanic. Now locking them up in a magic suppression facility or something of that nature could work. Basically something akin to a heavily guarded mental hospital or prison depending on how at fault they are for their actions.it could have a snappy name or something.

This wouldn't just be going to a mental hospital or even a magic prison. This would be them being taken to a black site never to be heard from again. Walking weapons of mass destruction. They're that dangerous to themselves and others.

With a suppression system that completely cuts them off from their power, they could still lead somewhat normal lives on the outside. And it'll be as permanent as whatever governing body they live under deems it.  

42 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

This wouldn't just be going to a mental hospital or even a magic prison. This would be them being taken to a black site never to be heard from again. Walking weapons of mass destruction. They're that dangerous to themselves and others.

With a suppression system that completely cuts them off from their power, they could still lead somewhat normal lives on the outside. And it'll be as permanent as whatever governing body they live under deems it.  

I don't like it from an rp standpoint because you'd essentially just kill the character. 

56 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

5 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

I don't like it from an rp standpoint because you'd essentially just kill the character. 

I guess you can say it that way.

However, I do not want to eliminate the idea completely. Looking at Ley, I had her story add addtional strings into the RP we are working with in, but I was working it out with Duality and Arid to make sure it does not break THEIR story nor impact anything major. Duality's already trying to research the whole "Edna" topic, but it influences her only because it is the roleplayer's choice.

The addition of such organization is, as you've mentioned, driven by Miko's fear of having them on her head. I can completely stand behind adding them for the sake of developing your character and making it more complex in terms of fears etc, but the impact of its implementation should be presented based on other's choice.

For example, I have no issues Ira falling under such laws.

But Ley, since she is BOUND TO sooner or later do something reckless and against the rules, as she's a spoiled kid raised not to shame her family, but at once will not let anybody stand in her way openly. According to your words, she'd instantly be chased down, considering what she is too. That's why I'd probably elaborately have her opting out of this hiding behind diplomatic immunity threats (although these would be bluffs since she's not an official representative of her country at all), but also retaliation from her family and threats of image destruction on international arena. As well as heavy repercussions for the University itself.

Just now, Buck Testa said:

And sending them to a supermax prison wouldn't do the same? It sounds like compelling story potential to me. A character now has to cope without their powers. It be like loosing a limb or one of your senses. What would that do to a person, not only being rendered a mere mortal, but having it practically be a legal decree? How would those who knew you look upon someone the law deemed to dangerous to properly use magic?

7 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

And sending them to a supermax prison wouldn't do the same? It sounds like compelling story potential to me. A character now has to cope without their powers. It be like loosing a limb or one of your senses. What would that do to a person, not only being rendered a mere mortal, but having it practically be a legal decree? How would those who knew you look upon someone the law deemed to dangerous to properly use magic?

1. That's up for Arid/Duality to decide. I'm pretty sure magic will be a necessity at later stages of RP. Plus, how do you attend magic University without magic o.o?

2. What you are suggesting is removal of core element the entire RP thread is built around: magical powers. Pretty sure a lot of people joined in to let their imagination roam wild and do wild stuff. Dru is prime example of that right now, and Buck is imposing limits on her on his own already. If you impose limits on other's characters from outside, just let me say this straight: Some may not like it.

6 minutes ago, Passion said:

1. That's up for Arid/Duality to decide. I'm pretty sure magic will be a necessity at later stages of RP.

2. What you are suggesting is removal of core element the entire RP thread is built around: magical powers. Pretty sure a lot of people joined in to let their imagination roam wild and do wild stuff. Dru is prime example of that right now, and Buck is imposing limits on her on his own already. If you impose limits on other's characters from outside, just let me say this straight: Some may not like it.

I'm not saying do it now or any time soon. Just to have that threat lingering on. Have that weight on the shoulders of every teacher, that the students they don't help out may potentially be locked up, killed, or worse, stripped of their powers for the world to see. It's no longer just about saving the world. It's saving those kids from miserable fates like those. And how to go about that may be a point of contention for the staff, if it isn't one already. 

Having an unhinged floralmancer born into the mob won't make things any easier. 

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Denim&Venom said:

And sending them to a supermax prison wouldn't do the same?

You can escape one of those (in an rp).

1 minute ago, Passion said:

However, I do not want to eliminate the idea completely. Looking at Ley, I had her story add addtional strings into the RP we are working with in. Duality's already trying to research the whole "Edna" topic, but it influences her only because it is the roleplayer's choice.

The addition of such organization is, as you've mentioned, driven by Miko's fear of having them on her head. I can completely stand behind adding them for the sake of developing your character and making it more complex in terms of fears etc, but the impact of its implementation should be presented based on other's choice.

Neither do I want to get rid of it entirely, but the complete removal of magic needs to be off the table. There needs to be some way to get those powers back. 

1 minute ago, Passion said:

1. That's up for Arid/Duality to decide. I'm pretty sure magic will be a necessity at later stages of RP.

I agree, and I do not like the aspect of the idea the utterly cripples a character and removes them from play from the rp. 

I also don't think it's necessary, cause like I said, I'm already putting limits on my character.  Duality's character is going to be putting something on Dru that'll put her back to 1% of her power. However, it can be taken off, which will be for special occasions.