Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

Just now, dragon4111 said:

@Buck Testa

So like the runes that Ghalan placed on himself with the rune kit?

Exactly like that actually. However Dru won't be able to deactivate them on her own. Duality will have control over when it's turned off. Kinda like in Hellsing where Integra can command what level Alucard is using. 

Duality mentioned a few things about political mumbo-jumbo around Ley already. As well as certain organizations asking questions about her etc. It's in that lenghty, not obligatory post of mine and his.

It would be up for them to decide if and how they want to weave it in into the story. But as Buck just noticed, we cannot take it to the level it essentially cripples the gameplay of others. I can completely see your point of it being an interesting development to have characters cope without their powers. But such character development should be the given character owner's choice, and not imposed. The setting of RP was fleshed out in original intro topic. And I fear the change proposed impacts the setting, at least partially.

I'm pretty sure that the University should be the FIRST instance to limit their student's/teacher's powers and have a considerable leeway in doing so. It's up for discussion with Duality and yourself on how this would be implemented so it does not heavily impact other users.

As for limits, I also have power limiting runes on Ira, and she was able to tap in into her power right now only because the University went on lockdown, causing special circumstances for rune release.

@Buck Testa

Good to know

I think Ghalan has limits...I do hope so.

Ghalan is an adult who knows when to hold back. Dru is a child whose powers are controlled by a pseudo alter ego until she learns to control it consciously. She needs those limits to be controlled by someone else. Also I have a scene ready when the time comes that she's released 100% again after she's learned some magic. 

1 minute ago, Passion said:

Duality mentioned a few things about political mumbo-jumbo around Ley already. As well as certain organizations asking questions about her etc. It's in that lenghty, not obligatory post of mine and his.

It would be up for them to decide if and how they want to weave it in into the story. But as Buck just noticed, we cannot take it to the level it essentially cripples the gameplay of others. I can completely see your point of it being an interesting development to have characters cope without their powers. But such character development should be the given character owner's choice, and not imposed. The setting of RP was fleshed out in original intro topic. And I fear the change proposed impacts the setting, at least partially.

I'm pretty sure that the University should be the FIRST instance to limit their student's/teacher's powers and have a considerable leeway in doing so. It's up for discussion with Duality and yourself on how this would be implemented so it does not heavily impact other users.

As for limits, I also have power limiting runes on Ira, and she was able to tap in into her power right now only because the University went on lockdown, causing special circumstances for rune release.

Yes, it definitely should be up to the player to decide whether such things happen to their character.  

@Denim&Venom@Buck Testa@Passion

I would like to think that the university itself has a magical rune set up that should things get out of hand that the perpetrators are brought down to their 1% . Atleast that's what I would like to think anyway.

I think Dru proved that isn't the case. Else you want to say Dru at 1% is her destroying the campus like she did. No, it would be a device she wears that brings her down to more manageable levels. 

Just now, Buck Testa said:

Yes, it definitely should be up to the player to decide whether such things happen to their character. 

Well yeah obviously. If it's forced, then it's no fun.

We can say that the government is coming to install a sentient parasitic rune that causes immense pain whenever one tries to use their powers, but how the character reacts will be up to the player. Do they run? Fight? Accept it? Have their character do something so bonkers that they deserve it? Argue the legal merits against it resulting in a court room stand off? 

Again, we won't need to do it now or any time soon. It may never even happen. Just have that threat linger in the back of everyone's minds. Perhaps it could even be a motivator of revenge for our eventual villains? 

5 minutes ago, dragon4111 said:

I would like to think that the university itself has a magical rune set up that should things get out of hand that the perpetrators are brought down to their 1% . Atleast that's what I would like to think anyway.

Probably. But if all schools like Salem could handle magical misfits like that, there wouldn't be any need for anti-arcane arms of the government. But yeah, some quick depowering rune or an anti-magic room for detention will probably do the job 99% of the time. 

13 minutes ago, Passion said:

Perhaps that a policy within the school? All students and staff have a basic limitation rune, preventing X pyromancer from getting this hot, X cryomancer from getting this cold, x geomancer from lifting x number of tons, x previously suspended audiomancer from repeating the destruction caused by her freshman final, etc. 

Like running in the halls, you'd better have a good excuse why you're not wearing your containment rune. 

(edited)

@dragon4111 @Buck Testa @Denim&Venom @Passion

First things first, yay I'm back!

Immediately following from the above, my semester schedule strongly indicates I will have at least two assessments due per week for every single one of the twenty-odd weeks before I finally finish this qualification, and so if I seem distant or otherwise failing to post, it's because my soul is being ripped out through my eyeballs or something.

Subsequently, as for this magic-crime punishment agency idea: I have described a pretty similar governmental agency in that one collab post Passion and I wrote up (do read it if that particular piece of lore is relevant to your character, it's talked about in the fourth paragraph onwards), but regarding the concept of permanent power-stripping or similarly harsh punishment for mages who pose major risk to everyone and sundry, the government definitely wouldn't be administering anything like that - it'd violate so many ethics laws etc., that even with all the decades magic has been known to exist there probably still wouldn't be any legalisation bills that had made it through the courts yet. Magic mostly came out during the stage when daemons were a threat, and magic helped to defeat the daemons, so it's not like mages have ever had enough bad reputation that lawmaking politicians harboured levels of hostility towards them sufficient to try and legalise suppressive surgeries that invasive or suppressive facilities that bleak.

I'd put it like this: if there was an insane or criminal mage who was wantonly breaking the law outside Salem grounds, government officials and university mages would collaborate to catch them legally and use enchanted standard-issue restraints to humanely confine them in the same way as one would detain a regular prisoner or mental patient, and for proportionate durations as specified by proper court decisions. In cases such as if someone as powerful as Druantia went rogue and started murdering people or whatever, the university would just have to use more manpower to take her down and the courts would sentence her as per normal for a mass murderer. In general, the same laws apply to mages as to mundanes, just with some logistical adjustment for mages' additional abilities to commit crime.

One does not slice off the fingers of a mass shooter to remove their ability to use guns.

7 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Perhaps that a policy within the school? All students and staff have a basic limitation rune, preventing X pyromancer from getting this hot, X cryomancer from getting this cold, x geomancer from lifting x number of tons, x previously suspended audiomancer from repeating the destruction caused by her freshman final, etc. 

Like running in the halls, you'd better have a good excuse why you're not wearing your containment rune. 

If you're talking runes that can be easily removed, that literally wouldn't stop anyone who really wanted to use their powers for mischief. In the alternate case - if everyone in the school had their powers relatively securely dampened -, a surprise hostile attack or a natural disaster at the school could take out far more people in the first few minutes than it would otherwise be able to, and everyone would still be able to kill each other with their magic in about equal proportion to how they can now, even with specific quantitative restrictions (which would themselves be almost impossibly hard to properly balance for everyone). Only having suppression/limitation runes for those who have proven they need them and those who have explicitly requested them is less of a waste of resources and (ironically) somewhat safer, especially with how things are currently - where, overall, responsible teachers/students have significantly more power than irresponsible teachers/students. And, of course, 'everyone has limitation runes' hasn't been mentioned yet and is really the sort of thing that would be mentioned pretty quickly upon the start of the school year, so the most general case is automatically jossed.

Although Miko having something to stop her from popping people's eardrums with literally deafening music does sound like the sort of thing that the events of her freshman year would necessitate. :toldya:

Edited by Duality

I have a hunger for words but there are no words to be consumed D: I cannot spin story sequences in my mind because of that and it fills me with saddness! Do something about it!

54 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

I think what Passion is saying is, @Duality it's your turn.

I actually meant anyone really :grin:

Speaking of which, is Arid still alive?

14 hours ago, Passion said:

I have a hunger for words but there are no words to be consumed D: I cannot spin story sequences in my mind because of that and it fills me with saddness! Do something about it!

11 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

I think what Passion is saying is, @Duality it's your turn.

@Denim&Venom & @reader8363: Passion's character has just showed up demanding explanations, so if Miko, Mindy, and Shadow want her help to lock down the remains of the duelling hall, it's now or never. Denim especially, you haven't posted for ten posts, give or take; it's your turn to post if anyone's. Duality only went down four posts ago, so she's definitely not out of the infirmary and ready for interaction yet.

As soon as the duelling hall gets sealed off (or possibly before then if it doesn't get done in good time), the dinner bell is prepped to ring for everyone to make their way to some well-needed nourishment. I'm planning for Duality to make her way out of the infirmary to the dining hall only after that bell rings, because a big part of the reason she fainted was because she was dehydrated and she hadn't had any food since a smallish breakfast in the early morning.

10 hours ago, Passion said:

Speaking of which, is Arid still alive?

He's somewhat active on Discord, but I think work is really taking a toll on his spare time.

• Brohoof 1

On 7/24/2018 at 10:16 PM, Duality said:

@Denim&Venom & @reader8363: Passion's character has just showed up demanding explanations, so if Miko, Mindy, and Shadow want her help to lock down the remains of the duelling hall, it's now or never. Denim especially, you haven't posted for ten posts, give or take; it's your turn to post if anyone's. Duality only went down four posts ago, so she's definitely not out of the infirmary and ready for interaction yet.

As soon as the duelling hall gets sealed off (or possibly before then if it doesn't get done in good time), the dinner bell is prepped to ring for everyone to make their way to some well-needed nourishment. I'm planning for Duality to make her way out of the infirmary to the dining hall only after that bell rings, because a big part of the reason she fainted was because she was dehydrated and she hadn't had any food since a smallish breakfast in the early morning.

He's somewhat active on Discord, but I think work is really taking a toll on his spare time.

Sounds great. I'm still waiting on you to post though. Or someone, anyone else to post. I can only do so much unconscious. 

@Buck Testa @dragon4111

Actually, y'all's be waiting on Denim, as per my post and hence his post explaining his current unavailability. Timeskips shall be initiated in due course, but the hall I think should be locked down in IC time first, before the dinner bell goes and time be set free to skip like a carefree lamb frolicking the Scottish moors.

From my perspective, I'm waiting on anyone.

Denim for Ira obviously, but I'm certain he mainly needs to directly interact with me. He did mention he was on con though. The rest seems to be in infirmary. Technically Buck can have the thugs interact with Ley, but that's up to him. No matter if he does or not, sooner or later I'll have Ley sit in her dorm and take care of her own business.

Once Denim responds and IF he asks Ira to help, because Ira's oblivious to the potential danger and does not realize it, we can probably perform time skip until the lunch or however long you'd need to recover to be in walking condition.