Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

Pretty sure Ghalan disregards even more protocols with how he insists on using magic being in state he found himself in. She literally just grabbed him by his arm to remove part of his clothing in order to witness the wounds. That's hardly acceptable as major distruptivr behaviour in terms of magic control :P

Of course she couldn't! 1. She was, and is even now, literally pissed. Who thinks straight and logical at all when enraged? 2. She's quite terrible in the whole magical detection thingies. Let's say she'd never make for a good thief in any D&D. 3. Ira's one of the most irresponsible, albeit somewhat professional teachers on the campus. She breaks rules and conventions on nearly every step, to a point I figure she faced on of the most frequent "talks" about her methods. Unfortunately, she's also good with the younger generation and her teachings very often are effective thanks to her unorthodox methods. She's like... a young teacher version of Doctor House, just on a smaller scale. She's absolutely overstepping her authority and permissions, but she HAS the results. I would expect no such thing as responsibility or logical thinking in emotional moments at all.

Impulsive, stubborn and hard to reach. But as well honest and good willed. Aaaaand maybe a little bit touchy :P ?

That is if you ask ME. Pretty sure Ira and especially Ley would have different views.

21 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

For the security feed question, it depends on if you were in her immediate area of effect. If you only saw her by camera and you never interacted with her in person, you would know that she is there. However if you were to show that same security footage to people who were right next to her during that recording, they would be flabbergasted as to who that person was. It wont remind them at all of The Nice Lady they interacted with. Even if your first visual of her was a security feed, it would be very difficult still to recognize her in person, though you would probably get the feeling like You're forgetting something very important. 

For the phone thing, it again depends on which side of the call You're on. The person who is with the nice lady, like a regular human, likely wouldn't bring her up, and if they did, they would say they were talking with a nice lady. They would use those two words specifically, "Nice Lady" or "The Nice Lady" or something to that effect. The person on the other end of the call who would know who that was would try to warn them, but it would be quite difficult to get through to them unless they are a player. This would also mean you could talk with her over the phone.

As to the Question of escaping the memory fade powers, that is difficult. If you never dealt with her in person, you could keep records of her, what she looks like, what she sounds like, what have you. However once you've gone into her presence holding any tangible information about her in your mind becomes a challenge. You would have difficulty connecting the person you met with the recordings in your mind. You could have a picture of her and hold it up to the Nice Lady in person and not be able to connect the dots unless you were a player, even then itd be like trying to remember something you had forgotten.

So is it like an infection, so to speak? Once you've come under her effect some aspect of her magic stays in your head actively fading out all memories of her even if formed well before or long after you met her? Or is it that coming into her presence erases all memories of her, even past indirect memories of footage etc.?

Put it this way:

1. If Person A sees some written or video or audio information regarding her, then comes into her presence an arbitrarily long time later, would they forget about having seen the written or video or audio information after they exit her presence, or would they just forget about meeting her?
  2. If Person B comes into her presence at some point in time arbitrarily long ago, then sees some written or video or audio information regarding her after they exit her presence, would they forget about the written or video or audio information they've seen after they exit the presence of the information, or would they remember it just as clearly as Person A did before Person A entered her presence?

The university has cameras, as mentioned, and if the cameras have tangible footage on record of some unidentified mage lady randomly dancing through campus on a semi-regular basis surely some security suspicions would be piqued even if they can't match her to the footage while in her presence.

1 hour ago, Duality said:

So is it like an infection, so to speak? Once you've come under her effect some aspect of her magic stays in your head actively fading out all memories of her even if formed well before or long after you met her? Or is it that coming into her presence erases all memories of her, even past indirect memories of footage etc.?

Put it this way:

1. If Person A sees some written or video or audio information regarding her, then comes into her presence an arbitrarily long time later, would they forget about having seen the written or video or audio information after they exit her presence, or would they just forget about meeting her?
  2. If Person B comes into her presence at some point in time arbitrarily long ago, then sees some written or video or audio information regarding her after they exit her presence, would they forget about the written or video or audio information they've seen after they exit the presence of the information, or would they remember it just as clearly as Person A did before Person A entered her presence?

The university has cameras, as mentioned, and if the cameras have tangible footage on record of some unidentified mage lady randomly dancing through campus on a semi-regular basis surely some security suspicions would be piqued even if they can't match her to the footage while in her presence.

I wouldn't say that. It's more like, knowing who she is as a concept isn't going to help you recognize her in person unless you're a player, and even then you'll have difficulty pinning down who she is besides her being a nice lady. 

Let me give you a silly version of this concept. You know how Bugs Bunny or Shaggy and Scooby are able to put on really bad disguises and still be able to fool their enemy into thinking they are someone else? It's kinda like that, but it's on all the time. Someone watching on a security feed would be able to tell it's her, but the person in her presence would not. She would be a stranger, just a nice lady that couldn't possibly be a threat.

And then, once she is out of sight of the person who was in her field of effect, they start forgetting the interaction ever happened like a dream a few minutes after waking up. The person watching on a security feed would not be affected by this, as they aren't in her presence.

Does that make sense?

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

I wouldn't say that. It's more like, knowing who she is as a concept isn't going to help you recognize her in person unless you're a player, and even then you'll have difficulty pinning down who she is besides her being a nice lady. 

Let me give you a silly version of this concept. You know how Bugs Bunny or Shaggy and Scooby are able to put on really bad disguises and still be able to fool their enemy into thinking they are someone else? It's kinda like that, but it's on all the time. Someone watching on a security feed would be able to tell it's her, but the person in her presence would not. She would be a stranger, just a nice lady that couldn't possibly be a threat.

And then, once she is out of sight of the person who was in her field of effect, they start forgetting the interaction ever happened like a dream a few minutes after waking up. The person watching on a security feed would not be affected by this, as they aren't in her presence.

Does that make sense?

Could I get that in terms of Person A and Person B?

I understand that people cannot recognise her and forget about her when seeing her in person, but that does not explain how the university's security staff can apparently witness and remember footage featuring the Nice Lady doing dodgy things while somehow failing to notify anyone that there's a potential mind manipulator on campus and that some form of countermeasure needs to be deployed. If they see that people instantly fall under her sway on camera, they're not going to try and engage her directly, they're going to put people with strengths in mental resistance on alert and follow things up. To summarise, if people can see her on camera without forgetting about her the entire university would know her exact capabilities, appearance, and past activities by now, even if they can't actually confront her in person.

I'd like to bring forth a peculiar case in terms of this discussion.

The case's name is "Rouen, The Anti Mage." Known for nullfying magic around him.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

Does that make sense?

So, she's essentially the silence from doctor who. 

2 hours ago, Duality said:

Could I get that in terms of Person A and Person B?

I understand that people cannot recognise her and forget about her when seeing her in person, but that does not explain how the university's security staff can apparently witness and remember footage featuring the Nice Lady doing dodgy things while somehow failing to notify anyone that there's a potential mind manipulator on campus and that some form of countermeasure needs to be deployed. If they see that people instantly fall under her sway on camera, they're not going to try and engage her directly, they're going to put people with strengths in mental resistance on alert and follow things up. To summarise, if people can see her on camera without forgetting about her the entire university would know her exact capabilities, appearance, and past activities by now, even if they can't actually confront her in person.

There is quite a few reasons why they wouldn't in this case, at least right away.

1. The campus was in complete chaos when she entered. If you remember, people were running about screaming their heads off while plants were attacking. 

2. To many people believe she is an urban legend if they even know who she is in the first place, only a few magic users know she is a real person. 

3. Technically she didn't do anything to anyone on campus. She walked in during the chaos and then calmed Dru when she was unconscious. She did mention she was going to talk with the big bad, but none of you know that in character yet.

Now, after you, IN CHARACTER, believability find out who she is and what she said then IN CHARACTER, you can have those kinds of safe guards. No guarantee they are going to work tho. I did say she was a master of stealth and espionage while simultaneously mentioning her power doesnt work through cameras. That was quite deliberate. 

Edited by Buck Testa

2 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

So, she's essentially the silence from doctor who. 

I've never watched doctor who, but after glancing at a wiki, sort of. With the added element that they cannot recognize her as a threat when they do see her, only that she is a Nice Lady (unless You're a player, but even then its difficult)

Okaaaaay, so...

1. Considering Rouen is magic resistant, wouldn't Adaline's skillset fail to work with him completely?

2. I can have Ira fooled time after time. She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to sensing magic and estimating auras. Ley on the other hand is all about perceptiveness. She adores observing combat and others. But naturally, considering her overblown self-confidence, I can see her completely failing to spot the danger initially. Nevertheless, she has strong magical senses so I figure once and if she'd discover what's going on, she'd be at the very least more wary about things than the others. And then comes Jeeves, who is basically a demonic entity. It is really a question to Duality at this point to establish how her ability would actually affect Jeeves.

3. I already devised a plan on what to do with her should things go awry, and I'll do it anyway if I'm ever forced to. And although I'd love to know what are the exact details of how her powers work, I'll leave it be until time comes to actually force this conversation. So, once her powers are put to use. For example, is music required for others to join her? How does she actually force her? Do they need to watch her? Does SHE need to do something? What would you do with people who outright refuse their characters to join in into this spectacle?

4. Considering, from the few posts you've written, we are dealing here with deviations of near-invisibility like stealth capabilities and potential indications of mind control powers, which are both extremely powerful tools, how would one even defend themselves should you desire to attack from hiding? You've mentioned she has little offensive capabilities, but at once said she can easily kill stuff if she wants to. Isn't this a bit contradictory?

5. How can *I* find her and interact with her if *I* want to do it? I have a vibe you're presenting her as unreachable unless *you* want her to be.

I need to have answers to at least a few of those so that I know how to actually properly interact with this character once I'm forced to.

35 minutes ago, Passion said:

Okaaaaay, so...

1. Considering Rouen is magic resistant, wouldn't Adaline's skillset fail to work with him completely?

2. I can have Ira fooled time after time. She's not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to sensing magic and estimating auras. Ley on the other hand is all about perceptiveness. She adores observing combat and others. But naturally, considering her overblown self-confidence, I can see her completely failing to spot the danger initially. Nevertheless, she has strong magical senses so I figure once and if she'd discover what's going on, she'd be at the very least more wary about things than the others. And then comes Jeeves, who is basically a demonic entity. It is really a question to Duality at this point to establish how her ability would actually affect Jeeves.

3. I already devised a plan on what to do with her should things go awry, and I'll do it anyway if I'm ever forced to. And although I'd love to know what are the exact details of how her powers work, I'll leave it be until time comes to actually force this conversation. So, once her powers are put to use. For example, is music required for others to join her? How does she actually force her? Do they need to watch her? Does SHE need to do something? What would you do with people who outright refuse their characters to join in into this spectacle?

4. Considering, from the few posts you've written, we are dealing here with deviations of near-invisibility like stealth capabilities and potential indications of mind control powers, which are both extremely powerful tools, how would one even defend themselves should you desire to attack from hiding? You've mentioned she has little offensive capabilities, but at once said she can easily kill stuff if she wants to. Isn't this a bit contradictory?

5. How can *I* find her and interact with her if *I* want to do it? I have a vibe you're presenting her as unreachable unless *you* want her to be.

I need to have answers to at least a few of those so that I know how to actually properly interact with this character once I'm forced to.

1) how resistant are we talking? Resistance implies it still works somewhat. I would need to know Rouens capabilities before I could say for sure. 

2) I could certainly see Ley underestimating her. She is not combat oriented. Also remember that you all need to find out she is a threat IN CHARACTER first before you get all agro. No cheating with ooc knowledge

3) think Musical rules. When the character starts singing other characters watch her, then they join in in the seemingly choreographed dance, in order of their status in the story. Player characters are completely up to the players discretion whether or not they think they'd be pulled under her sway based on how they believe they would respond. Remember, shes not discovered IN CHARACTER to be a threat yet, so some might give in for the fun of it.

4) she can easily kill an npc, because they only see her as a nice lady and dont register her as a threat. They dont defend themselves. The ways she kills would be entirely conventional. I initially thought of having her with healing powers, but I think her having a calming effect works well enough. Healing seems a bit tacked on now that I've given it some thought. So to recap, she can easily kill not because she has amazing offensive abilities like Dru, but because most people dont even think to defend themselves. For players that will be more difficult for her, because they can on average get through that hurdle easier than a regular human. 

5) That is entirely intentional. For one thing I will not be using her as much as Dru, and this gives me a neat little way to tuck her away for future use. Also, it's not Impossible to get to her, but you all will need to work together to find her without her wanting too. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. 

Hope that helps!

• Brohoof 2

5 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

1) how resistant are we talking? Resistance implies it still works somewhat. I would need to know Rouens capabilities before I could say for sure. 

2) I could certainly see Ley underestimating her. She is not combat oriented. Also remember that you all need to find out she is a threat IN CHARACTER first before you get all agro. No cheating with ooc knowledge

3) think Musical rules. When the character starts singing other characters watch her, then they join in in the seemingly choreographed dance, in order of their status in the story. Player characters are completely up to the players discretion whether or not they think they'd be pulled under her sway based on how they believe they would respond. Remember, shes not discovered IN CHARACTER to be a threat yet, so some might give in for the fun of it.

4) she can easily kill an npc, because they only see her as a nice lady and dont register her as a threat. They dont defend themselves. The ways she kills would be entirely conventional. I initially thought of having her with healing powers, but I think her having a calming effect works well enough. Healing seems a bit tacked on now that I've given it some thought. So to recap, she can easily kill not because she has amazing offensive abilities like Dru, but because most people dont even think to defend themselves. For players that will be more difficult for her, because they can on average get through that hurdle easier than a regular human. 

5) That is entirely intentional. For one thing I will not be using her as much as Dru, and this gives me a neat little way to tuck her away for future use. Also, it's not Impossible to get to her, but you all will need to work together to find her without her wanting too. I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. 

Hope that helps!

1. Rouen is depicted as a martial artists with near impenetrable magical defense, or rather the idea that, quote, "magic has little to no effect on him". What that means I figure that the weaker spells and magical effects would be absolutely ignored, while strong ones would work in like 5-15% of power. But that's my subjective view of things.

2. Underestimating or straightforward ignoring, absolutely. But only until she is actually forced to realize the truth. And that's why I'm requesting some details, to keep it IC and decide which what is fair to be done. Of course, don't expect me to instantly try the moves that would be considered her counter thanks to OOC knowledge. I've got one really smart idea, but to be honest only Ley is capable of using it and she would first need a reason to do it. If she's not allowed to, logically, discover what kind of powers are affecting her, I'll have no reason to try the trick out. It's purely dependant on your writing if you give Ley enough hints to come up with the crazy idea. But it's at once a double-edged sword, so I don't really consider it unfair. And who knows, maybe she will never get to come up with anything since they won't even meet :P *Shrugs* The ways RPs go are unknown.

3. That's a tough one only for Ley. She is not allowed to make a fool out of herself in public, so the urges created by your character will gride really loud against her instincts. Ira? Meh, what, you never danced in public? Ple-eeease!

4. Sounds legit. I technically still keep Ira's ace in sleeve in her application. Meaning transmogrification of liquid substances, including blood. But I consider it OP to a point I doubt I'd use it even in mortal type of scenario. Make her a potential cold blooded murder? Sure, no hesitation for Ley if she needs to. But Ira? Nuh-uh.

5. Yeah, good luck to us with that. I hardly can see that happening xD

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

There is quite a few reasons why they wouldn't in this case, at least right away.

1. The campus was in complete chaos when she entered. If you remember, people were running about screaming their heads off while plants were attacking. 

2. To many people believe she is an urban legend if they even know who she is in the first place, only a few magic users know she is a real person. 

3. Technically she didn't do anything to anyone on campus. She walked in during the chaos and then calmed Dru when she was unconscious. She did mention she was going to talk with the big bad, but none of you know that in character yet.

Now, after you, IN CHARACTER, believability find out who she is and what she said then IN CHARACTER, you can have those kinds of safe guards. No guarantee they are going to work tho. I did say she was a master of stealth and espionage while simultaneously mentioning her power doesnt work through cameras. That was quite deliberate. 

Ohhh, I was under the impression that she'd been infiltrating the university for some time before she walked in to calm Dru. Apologies, quite mistook the situation there.

1 hour ago, Passion said:

1. Rouen is depicted as a martial artists with near impenetrable magical defense, or rather the idea that, quote, "magic has little to no effect on him". What that means I figure that the weaker spells and magical effects would be absolutely ignored, while strong ones would work in like 5-15% of power. But that's my subjective view of things.

2. Underestimating or straightforward ignoring, absolutely. But only until she is actually forced to realize the truth. And that's why I'm requesting some details, to keep it IC and decide which what is fair to be done. Of course, don't expect me to instantly try the moves that would be considered her counter thanks to OOC knowledge. I've got one really smart idea, but to be honest only Ley is capable of using it and she would first need a reason to do it. If she's not allowed to, logically, discover what kind of powers are affecting her, I'll have no reason to try the trick out. It's purely dependant on your writing if you give Ley enough hints to come up with the crazy idea. But it's at once a double-edged sword, so I don't really consider it unfair. And who knows, maybe she will never get to come up with anything since they won't even meet :P *Shrugs* The ways RPs go are unknown.

3. That's a tough one only for Ley. She is not allowed to make a fool out of herself in public, so the urges created by your character will gride really loud against her instincts. Ira? Meh, what, you never danced in public? Ple-eeease!

4. Sounds legit. I technically still keep Ira's ace in sleeve in her application. Meaning transmogrification of liquid substances, including blood. But I consider it OP to a point I doubt I'd use it even in mortal type of scenario. Make her a potential cold blooded murder? Sure, no hesitation for Ley if she needs to. But Ira? Nuh-uh.

5. Yeah, good luck to us with that. I hardly can see that happening xD

I would perhaps put a stipulation like transmogrification inside of magical persons is more difficult than with humans. Their natural magic interferes with that moves effectiveness inside them. Similar to how I've put limiters on The Nice Lady towards other players. Not only does it make things more sporting, it prevents god modding.

13 minutes ago, Arid_Blitz said:

Yeah that is rouen for you how @Passion said

Can i be brought up to speed though please cliff notes

We're still in the aftermath of the Janitor VS The Weeds of Death. A new character bringing the sound of music to the scene has snuck in during the bedlam and is going to tell the big bads about the child of the corn whom wrecked a decent portion of the school on her first day. 

• Brohoof 1