Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

1 minute ago, Duality said:

Or you could slip the class in as a mild retcon series of posts happening before and up to Angel meeting Ruby in the halls, so by the time they reach the break room the class is over. As long as there's enough narrative indication to keep the timeline relatively consistent, it should be okay.

Thing is, I want Ruby to be part of that class. Unless we just time skip to the class and have Ruby's convo with Angel be flash backs.                     

• Brohoof 1

On 1/7/2019 at 12:40 PM, Denim&Venom said:

Thing is, I want Ruby to be part of that class. Unless we just time skip to the class and have Ruby's convo with Angel be flash backs.

Maybe rewrite the convo post to be a class post, saving the conversation in a text file or something so you can repost it later? Swapping and changing post text as needed has already happened a couple times.

8 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

Looks like we have some movement happening in the game!

Yep, we're finally coming out the other side of the whole exams/Christmas/New Year end-of-year kerfuffle! :mlp_yeehaa:

3 hours ago, Duality said:

@Denim&Venom

You coming along okay with that post? Timeskipping and having the conversation be flashbacks is quite fine by me, too, if you would prefer it.

I think that's the only way to do it since it seems more preferible by all to have the meeting in the teachers lounge after class. 

Sorry it's been a busy week. 

• Brohoof 1

"It's a simple seed but I found that if you sent your mana into certain seeds you can craft a staff that can store your excess mana," Ghalan said with a grin on his face.

Okay so how would he even know this seed does such a thing? @dragon4111 ? Where did he find this thing? This sounds like something Dru might come up with on her own not be handed to her by someone who hasn't really shown that he has knowledge of magical plants or how they could be grown into staves. Feels kinda contrived don't you think?

"Also, I should probably tell her that the bracelets serve the - heh - dual purpose of nullifying hostile magic in the circumstance that anyone tries to mess with her while her power is depleted - even staff members like Ghalan. Protec and attac and I've got your bac sort of thing." 

d5fafe3bb9baca8b6b7277a7211c384b.gif

@Duality I am very VERY much against this retcon to the bracelets for a few reasons. 

1) It would defeat the purpose of Nerfing Druantia: Dru at 1% is now on a more even playing field with the students in the school and is now at more of a disadvantage with teachers, as supposed to being an absolute juggernaut wrecking the campus with a hulking aura. If the bracelets nullified a normal student to 1% when attacking her, they'd basically be powerless and she'd have all the power in the situation all over again. She'd still be massively overpowered it'd just be for different reasons and at a smaller scale. The bracelets are for leveling the playing field and making it harder for Dru so she has to think outside the box. 

2) I've already mentioned a safeguard for her bracelets: If she is in legitimate danger and Duality see's she's in that danger, then there should be a protocol to temporarily turn off the bracelets or increase how much of her power she can use. like lets say 10% power as supposed to 1%. Basically Duality would have control of the proverbial faucet on Dru's powers, if she wants to let all of it out, crank it to 100%, if she only needs a little more than normal 5%, ect. 

3) It's not necessary, like at all: Dru is more than capable of handling herself even with the power restrictions. She doesn't need Magic NULL on top of what she already has, that's just going overboard. 

So I'm going to ask the both of you to edit your posts please.  

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 1

Just now, dragon4111 said:

@Buck Testa

Sorry it's more like growing it into a large plant with bark so that she could carve herself a staff. I was in alittle bit of a rush to post my post. sorry.

Certainly no need to rush out posts in this rp that takes weeks to move lol. Take your time, really think about the scene your character's in. Dru has by no means had a normal childhood.  She's dealing with a loooot of unresolved issues compounded on the stress of a new environment without her security blanket that was her overwhelming powers. A man she knows she can't beat asking her to come to a second location is of course going to set off ALL the red flags in her mind, especially since she's had attempted kidnappings before.  

(edited)
54 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

1) It would defeat the purpose of Nerfing Druantia: Dru at 1% is now on a more even playing field with the students in the school and is now at more of a disadvantage with teachers, as supposed to being an absolute juggernaut wrecking the campus with a hulking aura. If the bracelets nullified a normal student to 1% when attacking her, they'd basically be powerless and she'd have all the power in the situation all over again. She'd still be massively overpowered it'd just be for different reasons and at a smaller scale. The bracelets are for leveling the playing field and making it harder for Dru so she has to think outside the box.

2) I've already mentioned a safeguard for her bracelets: If she is in legitimate danger and Duality see's she's in that danger, then there should be a protocol to temporarily turn off the bracelets or increase how much of her power she can use. like lets say 10% power as supposed to 1%. Basically Duality would have control of the proverbial faucet on Dru's powers, if she wants to let all of it out, crank it to 100%, if she only needs a little more than normal 5%, ect. 

3) It's not necessary, like at all: Dru is more than capable of handling herself even with the power restrictions. She doesn't need Magic NULL on top of what she already has, that's just going overboard. 

Clarification: this feature of the bracelets is not an extension of the 1% field to anyone who tries to mess with Dru. This is an instantaneously-acting safety feature that nullifies 100% of incoming hostile magic bursts of a magnitude that would otherwise seriously harm or kill Druantia - death rays and targeted bone-snapping kinetic pulses and the like. Duality cannot react instantly to all potential dangers to Dru, and as such it is not safe to leave her hanging with a scant 1% of her power should some spazzy magical incident occur and endanger her within a matter of seconds. The safeguard of #2 is something that can only be used if Duality has enough time to notice that something's badly wrong, and this safeguard is intended to keep Dru from ending up in the intensive ward (or morgue) in the meantime - plus the triggering of the feature alerts Duality directly and urgently.

This was intended as more of a 'just in case she would otherwise die' feature, not something to nerf anyone who came at her with anything less than serious harm in mind. I can reword my post to reflect this more precisely, if this level of safeguard is okay with you.

Edited by Duality

2 minutes ago, Duality said:

Clarification: this feature of the bracelets is not an extension of the 1% field to anyone who tries to mess with Dru. This is an instantaneously-acting safety feature that nullifies 100% of incoming hostile magic bursts of a magnitude that would otherwise seriously harm or kill Druantia - death rays and targeted bone-snapping kinetic pulses and the like. Duality cannot react instantly to all potential dangers to Dru, and as such it is not safe to leave her hanging with a scant 1% of her power should some spazzy magical incident occur and endanger her within a matter of seconds. The safeguard of #2 is something that can only be used if Duality has enough time to notice that something's badly wrong, and this safeguard is intended to keep Dru from ending up in the intensive ward (or morgue) in the meantime - plus the triggering of the feature alerts Duality directly and urgently.

This was intended as more of a 'just in case she would otherwise die' feature, not something to nerf anyone who came at her with anything less than serious harm in mind. I can reword my post to reflect this more precisely, if this level of safeguard is okay with you.

But we already have a safeguard for such a thing. It's called the OOC. If a character is going to get into a fight with Dru we're going to figure out how the battle is going to go down before the posts actually go up like the last time. Layering ANOTHER thing on top of that that basically says Dru cannot get into any real danger and she basically has training wheels on would still give her an unfair advantage over other characters. There's no reason for it. Just stick with the one that I've already mentioned a few times. 

I should also really emphasize here, Dru's 1% may be scant for HER, but she is still quite dangerous. One percent of a Billion dollars is still ten million dollars, which is more than enough wealth for anyone. She's not going to be wrecking half the campus, but anyone fighting her should definitely not underestimate her or her inventiveness in combat. 

No other character has this "just in case they'd die" feature on them, so I'm very much not interested in having it on Dru. Let the OOC be the safeguard. 

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

But we already have a safeguard for such a thing. It's called the OOC. If a character is going to get into a fight with Dru we're going to figure out how the battle is going to go down before the posts actually go up like the last time. Layering ANOTHER thing on top of that that basically says Dru cannot get into any real danger and she basically has training wheels on would still give her an unfair advantage over other characters. There's no reason for it. Just stick with the one that I've already mentioned a few times. 

I should also really emphasize here, Dru's 1% may be scant for HER, but she is still quite dangerous. One percent of a Billion dollars is still ten million dollars, which is more than enough wealth for anyone. She's not going to be wrecking half the campus, but anyone fighting her should definitely not underestimate her or her inventiveness in combat. 

No other character has this "just in case they'd die" feature on them, so I'm very much not interested in having it on Dru. Let the OOC be the safeguard. 

I'm primarily unsure how IC-reasonable it would be to have things that nullified most of people's magic without giving them a chance at survival should another powerful individual have a go at them for the incident that got them their null-bracelets or something. The school walks a fine line between safety and freedom of students, and divesting someone of the vast majority of their magic without consent and without compensating them somehow for the resultant implicit drop in immediate personal security seems to go too far with regards both freedom and safety, especially given the stupendous backlash that would result if she actually did end up dying somehow.

Edited by Duality

Just now, Duality said:

I'm primarily unsure how IC-reasonable it would be to have things that nullified most of people's magic without giving them a chance at survival should another powerful individual have a go at them for the incident that got them their null-bracelets or something. The school walks a fine line between safety and freedom of students, and divesting someone of the vast majority of their magic without consent and without compensating them somehow for the resultant implicit drop in personal security seems to go too far with regards both freedom and safety.

Which is WHY I mentioned being able to unleash her powers during moments of real danger. I'm really not sure where the confusion is here. If Dru is in a life threatening situation (which would be discussed in OOC and would not come out of nowhere here) then Duality can unleash her powers or a portion of her powers to give Dru the edge she needs to win. If Dru's 1% is on the level of a Student (or normal power level) then her 10% would be ten times stronger than that, and her 100% would be one HUNDRED times stronger than that to her hulking wreck half the campus magic spamming glory. 

You can have it so she can monitor where Dru is sure, and if she gets into a dangerous situation you can unlock a portion of her power if you deem it necessary. 

30 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

Which is WHY I mentioned being able to unleash her powers during moments of real danger. I'm really not sure where the confusion is here. If Dru is in a life threatening situation (which would be discussed in OOC and would not come out of nowhere here) then Duality can unleash her powers or a portion of her powers to give Dru the edge she needs to win. If Dru's 1% is on the level of a Student (or normal power level) then her 10% would be ten times stronger than that, and her 100% would be one HUNDRED times stronger than that to her hulking wreck half the campus magic spamming glory. 

You can have it so she can monitor where Dru is sure, and if she gets into a dangerous situation you can unlock a portion of her power if you deem it necessary. 

The issue is with immediate life-threatening situations. Not OOC-immediate, IC-immediate. Duality takes about five to ten seconds to query the system to figure out what's going on upon notification. Five to ten seconds is a rather long time when it comes to life-threatening situations, especially in places where life-threatening situations can spring up as quickly as they can in the University. The safeguard is for the IC purpose of avoiding instadeaths in that five to ten seconds before higher percentages of power can potentially be released.

Also, typical SU students are closer to a 2.5% than a 1%, methinks; Dru had a hard time pulling out a chair earlier.

2 minutes ago, Duality said:

The issue is with immediate life-threatening situations. Not OOC-immediate, IC-immediate. Duality takes about five to ten seconds to query the system to figure out what's going on upon notification. Five to ten seconds is a rather long time when it comes to life-threatening situations, especially in places where life-threatening situations can spring up as quickly as they can in the University. The safeguard is for the IC purpose of avoiding instadeaths in that five to ten seconds before higher percentages of power can potentially be released.

Also, typical SU students are closer to a 2.5% than a 1%, methinks; Dru had a hard time pulling out a chair earlier.

Okay but no matter how dire it gets IN universe we are going to know about it OOC. 

Dru's not used to concentrating to use her powers, she's used to using them passively. Which is why she's having a hard time with them initially. As she grows more accustomed to it her true level will reveal itself, especially as she starts learning actual spells. I have this all figured out trust me.  

@Buck Testa

Ah ok damn I just saw your post-sighs-

I do like the staff Idea, in fact I had plans for one a bit later down the road with her Avatar pic 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrFWDFDodvNB4FgocUpW7

My objection was how does he know what that seed does? Where did he get it? Why does he have this previously unknown knowledge of magic seeds that create staffs? It struck me as contrived and made up on the spot, which you said it was. 

@Buck Testa

It doesn't create the staves more like a large enough tree for the wood and branch to be carved from it. And how would he a man who has a staff which can channel his mana have the knowledge?

He had carved his staff from a seed that was fed on by his mana.

Edited by dragon4111

@Buck Testa

It doesn't create the staves more like a large enough tree for the wood and branch to be carved from it. And how would he a man who has a staff which can channel his mana have the knowledge?

OOOooh I see what you're saying, he uses staffs which is how he has the knowledge of what would be good material for staffs. That makes sense actually. 

She wouldn't really need to carve it, she probably could just grow it into a staff. It would take her longer now that she's at 1% but she could do it. 

• Brohoof 1

8 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

Okay but no matter how dire it gets IN universe we are going to know about it OOC. 

Dru's not used to concentrating to use her powers, she's used to using them passively. Which is why she's having a hard time with them initially. As she grows more accustomed to it her true level will reveal itself, especially as she starts learning actual spells. I have this all figured out trust me.  

It's not an OOC issue, though, as mentioned earlier, it's the IC logistics of the school making sure braceletted students are protected to a reasonable extent despite the nullification of the vast majority of their magic. Regardless of whether Druantia will grow to higher proficiency in the near future, in the meantime she isn't used to having only 1% of her power, and the school therefore wants to make sure that she has reasonable protection if needed due to an incident and subsequent elapsing of the aforementioned five to ten seconds before Duality notices that she's in trouble and makes the decision to 'open the faucet'. Dru's not used to having her magic depleted to that level and so the school has no justification for expecting her to match potential attacking students spell for spell or immediately create a defence against some life-threatening magical incident if such a situation arises. All other students and teachers in the university can readily and IC-compatibly be relied on to raise some sort of solid deus ex defence if a beam of killdeath zaps in their direction, but Druantia not so much due to her current unfamiliarity with her power level.

3 minutes ago, Duality said:

It's not an OOC issue, though, as mentioned earlier, it's the IC logistics of the school making sure braceletted students are protected to a reasonable extent despite the nullification of the vast majority of their magic. Regardless of whether Druantia will grow to higher proficiency in the near future, in the meantime she isn't used to having only 1% of her power, and the school therefore wants to make sure that she has reasonable protection if needed due to an incident and subsequent elapsing of the aforementioned five to ten seconds before Duality notices that she's in trouble and makes the decision to 'open the faucet'. Dru's not used to having her magic depleted to that level and so the school has no justification for expecting her to match potential attacking students spell for spell or immediately create a defence against some life-threatening magical incident if such a situation arises. All other students and teachers in the university can readily and IC-compatibly be relied on to raise some sort of solid deus ex defence if a beam of killdeath zaps in their direction, but Druantia not so much due to her current unfamiliarity with her power level.

That... makes sense I suppose. I don't like it but I suppose there are in universe reasons to have the training wheels. It's going to ultimately amount to her having additional advantages against her opponents but if you want that this much I'll roll with it.