Duality

Advanced Salem University OOC (Open)

Recommended Posts

Name: Cynthia Lynette

Personality: A shy and timid girl, barely capable of a temper. 

Age: 19

Backstory: Cynthia came from a prestigious family from London. Her life, however, wasn't the most glamorous as she was born "unfit" to be the heir to the family due to being born blind. Her brother would then become the successor to the family fortune and by the age of ten, Cynthia discovered her affinity for magic. The family in fear that she would try and utilize her powers to usurp her brother as heir disowned her. She would find that the orphanage she was left to was less than kind to the young girl and fled to spend her life in the woods.

She was from there raised by herself, away from normal society with her newfound friend and companion, a white fox that she named Snow. Through years of being one with nature, she has learned to communicate with the creature and he has become her only true friend in the world, thus she never goes anywhere without the creature close by, ready to protect his adopted human daughter.

When she was forced to travel into the nearby towns or cities, a few select citizens took notice of the girl's unique abilities and eventually the school was contacted. Cynthia would be hand-delivered an invitation to attend classes that following semester. Though arriving rather late, she was eager to see what this school had to offer to a girl such as herself.

Magic: Water and Ice (mostly ice)

Abilities: Cynthia lacks much in the way of "combative" traits, she's far from a fighter and often lacks the resourcefulness to win in a battle, however, she makes up for it in healing abilities and kindness. Though she is blind, she can utilize echoes to "see" sort of. On top of this, she can communicate with animals.

Weaknesses: Many, though being blind would certainly be a big one. She isn't much of a fighter, so she'll need a lot of training before she's ready for the big time.

 

IA.full.1715063.jpg

 

(It's been an insanely long time since I've done this, forgive me!)

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Oh boy. And here I was thinking I could drop Ira and exchange her for a light magic calm prof known as "friend of all". But seems there actually now is a dedicated student that would not be able to avoid her classes.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

11 hours ago, Key Sharkz said:

Hey, I'd actually like to try and join this RP if that's alright! I know I'm late to the show, but I've RPed before. The character page on the site seems to be all borked up, do I just create a character profile here?

Ooh, fresh meat. :ticking:

11 hours ago, Key Sharkz said:

Name: Cynthia Lynette

Personality: A shy and timid girl, barely capable of a temper. 

Age: 19

Backstory: Cynthia came from a prestigious family from London. Her life, however, wasn't the most glamorous as she was born "unfit" to be the heir to the family due to being born blind. Her brother would then become the successor to the family fortune and by the age of ten, Cynthia discovered her affinity for magic. The family in fear that she would try and utilize her powers to usurp her brother as heir disowned her. She would find that the orphanage she was left to was less than kind to the young girl and fled to spend her life in the woods.

She was from there raised by herself, away from normal society with her newfound friend and companion, a white fox that she named Snow. Through years of being one with nature, she has learned to communicate with the creature and he has become her only true friend in the world, thus she never goes anywhere without the creature close by, ready to protect his adopted human daughter.

When she was forced to travel into the nearby towns or cities, a few select citizens took notice of the girl's unique abilities and eventually the school was contacted. Cynthia would be hand-delivered an invitation to attend classes that following semester. Though arriving rather late, she was eager to see what this school had to offer to a girl such as herself.

Magic: Water and Ice (mostly ice)

Abilities: Cynthia lacks much in the way of "combative" traits, she's far from a fighter and often lacks the resourcefulness to win in a battle, however, she makes up for it in healing abilities and kindness. Though she is blind, she can utilize echoes to "see" sort of. On top of this, she can communicate with animals.

Weaknesses: Many, though being blind would certainly be a big one. She isn't much of a fighter, so she'll need a lot of training before she's ready for the big time.

(It's been an insanely long time since I've done this, forgive me!)

I like the look of this kid.

However, the additional animal communication, healing, and echolocation abilities seem slightly disconnected from her water/ice magic. Most characters in this RP draw exclusively on one area of magic each, except for so-called multipowers. You could tweak her to multi and get the additional powers directly, or you could rephrase her minor abilities in terms of how she can do it with water/ice magic - for example, she could influence the water content of human/animal bodies to knit flesh back together, sense moisture in the air to gain rudimentary sight abilities, and has simply spent so much time around her fox companion that she can tell his emotions very readily. Sure, they're unconventional applications of hydromancy, but Cynthia is quite the unconventional student. :mlp_yeehaa:

Also, this RP is set in the equivalent of the 21st century, meaning families living in London generally don't dump their heirs due to blindness any more. An alternative used by a few of our RPers is just to assign their characters' society-unfriendly families to a vague European region characterised mostly by its relative seclusion (there's someone whose rich and cruel family owns a secluded territory in deep eastern Russia, and someone else has a mafia family in an unspecified Westernised country for whom it's already their job to be able to buy off authorities). Maybe a large estate somewhere in rural Britain, instead of in the massive modernised hub that is London nowadays? I'm reasonably sure there's still enough empty space in that country to fit the family homes of very rich people who don't want their personal affairs to be looked at too closely. Prestige is still all well and good; lots of famously well-off families like to keep their children away from the constant media onslaught.

All merely minor adjustments to seamlessly fit in to established lore, nothing serious. You'll be clear to start straight in on your intro post as soon as they're resolved. :mlp_proud:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Just now, Duality said:

Ooh, fresh meat. :ticking:

I like the look of this kid.

However, the additional animal communication, healing, and echolocation abilities seem slightly disconnected from her water/ice magic. Most characters in this RP draw exclusively on one area of magic each, except for so-called multipowers. You could tweak her to multi and get the additional powers directly, or you could rephrase her minor abilities in terms of how she can do it with water/ice magic - for example, she could influence the water content of human/animal bodies to knit flesh back together, sense moisture in the air to gain rudimentary sight abilities, and has simply spent so much time around her fox companion that she can tell his emotions very readily. Sure, they're unconventional applications of hydromancy, but Cynthia is quite the unconventional student. :mlp_yeehaa:

Also, this RP is set in the equivalent of the 21st century, meaning families living in London generally don't dump their heirs due to blindness any more. An alternative used by a few of our RPers is just to assign their characters' society-unfriendly families to a vague European region characterised mostly by its relative seclusion (there's someone whose rich and cruel family owns a secluded territory in deep eastern Russia, and someone else has a mafia family in an unspecified Westernised country for whom it's already their job to be able to buy off authorities). Maybe a large estate somewhere in rural Britain, instead of in the massive modernised hub that is London nowadays? I'm reasonably sure there's still enough empty space in that country to fit the family homes of very rich people who don't want their personal affairs to be looked at too closely. Prestige is still all well and good; lots of famously well-off families like to keep their children away from the constant media onslaught.

All merely minor adjustments to seamlessly fit in to established lore, nothing serious. You'll be clear to start straight in on your intro post as soon as they're resolved. :mlp_proud:

I like the idea that she got the echolocation from learning off of sea animals such as dolphins (thus related to water, ideally water and water-related creatures is how she develops her magic). Keep in mind, animal communication is not literal. She can't LITERALLY talk to animals, she just has a finer understanding of them due to her closeness to them. Healing comes from the fact that water is often viewed as the healing element due to the fact that the body is made mostly of water.

 

I also think your idea works, she is part of a rural estate somewhere in a smaller part of the UK that stays mostly sealed away from society.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

24 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

I like the idea that she got the echolocation from learning off of sea animals such as dolphins (thus related to water, ideally water and water-related creatures is how she develops her magic). Keep in mind, animal communication is not literal. She can't LITERALLY talk to animals, she just has a finer understanding of them due to her closeness to them. Healing comes from the fact that water is often viewed as the healing element due to the fact that the body is made mostly of water.

Ah, I see now. When did she come in contact with dolphins, though? Were the woods she grew up in adjacent to the ocean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

27 minutes ago, Duality said:

Ah, I see now. When did she come in contact with dolphins, though? Were the woods she grew up in adjacent to the ocean?

I didn't mean directly, more like through study. Books, internet, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 hour ago, Key Sharkz said:

I didn't mean directly, more like through study. Books, internet, etc.

Ah, so before she got kicked out of home. :P

All seems in order. Post when ready.

Edited by Duality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Just now, Duality said:

Ah, so before she got kicked out of home. :P

All seems in order. Post when ready.

I better take some time to read up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

26 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

I better take some time to read up!

AnimuThinku.pngI might just want to do the same actually.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

46 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

I better take some time to read up!

IC thread aside, there's been a fair bit of worldbuilding in the now-intimidatingly-large OOC thread in which we stand.

I have taken the slightly obsessive step of compiling all the significant worldbuilding posts in this thread, in no particular order. Some are part of a larger line of discussion, but all major lore expositions and explanations to date should be included in the spoilered list. You aren't obligated to read them or anything (almost all of it is in response to specific queries), but if you have questions about in-depth lore then this might well give an answer. :-D

Spoiler

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Duality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Key Sharkz

Hmm well since Ghalan is away from the fox Miko. He is coming up to the parking lot. levitating a Russian tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, dragon4111 said:

@Key Sharkz

Hmm well since Ghalan is away from the fox Miko. He is coming up to the parking lot. levitating a Russian tank.

Never have I seen those words constructed together in a sentence like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Just now, dragon4111 said:

@Key Sharkz

sorry about that.

It was a joke, love! I meant that such a sentence was an amazing thing to see. 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Key Sharkz

Ghalan has three magical powers . main one is all aspects of gravity, secondary is Hydromancy, and the third is a small amount of healing magic fourth is telekinesis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, dragon4111 said:

@Key Sharkz

Ghalan has three magical powers . main one is all aspects of gravity, secondary is Hydromancy, and the third is a small amount of healing magic fourth is telekinesis.

Well he and Cynthia have some common grounds then, since her element is water and ice and she specializes in healing.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Key Sharkz

His healing is minor really, first aid pain dulling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I swear, Ley and Wave will need to have a nerd talk after Ley examines Dru's trinkets enchantments.

  • Yay 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@dragon4111 @Key Sharkz

Remember not to keep that pace up once you meet other characters or someone who is asleep will never be able to come up with a decent post to keep up with the entire conversation :D as long as you're alone though it's fine.

 

@Key Sharkz

You have quite an interesting field to play here with your character. Seeing as you've said it's been years she has been being raised by animals, I would imagine she would be more feral, misunderstanding a lot of subtle finer points of human interactions. The culture, the technology. Technically wilderness is somewhat of a never ending fight for survival, I can imagine this would have imprinted on her personality somehow, shaping her priorities and personality accordingly. To better present my point, a short comic:

what-are-you-running-from-apex-predator-jogging-from-the-28430393.png.73d742c46d039a22f7631861b478eda5.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Passion

So I have it that she has "some" social understandings since she was originally raised by humans, so she knows a little about society, but she's a good ten years out of date and what she does know comes from a child's logic. She learned a bit through the years by occasionally visiting towns, but she has a "hackneyed" understanding of humanity. She understands it as someone who has watched humans from afar but interacted with them little.

Imagine a girl who is mostly a tamed human, but has moments of feral behavior. Like she scratches her ear with her foot, she understands baths to mean being licked clean and she doesn't like shoes (though that's also because she's blind and using her feet is sort of a big thing for her to find her way around). Naturally like any blind person, but also as an animalistic girl, she has higher hearing and smell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

You don't need such additional reasons for sharpened senses as it is scientifically confirmed that humans who lack a certain sense have their remaining ones developed much better than those who are 'complete' :D

Can't say I'm not looking forward to social awkwardness she will cause at times.

 

I am however waging now on how should Ley treat her. Normally, such a fragile girl unable to withstand presence of someone more dominant would quickly make Ley disregard her as an object worthy of any attention.

Nevertheless, she has that one major thing, meaning the blindness. As much as I keep Ley in terms with her current appearance, it still turned her life into a nightmare and under pressure she will crumble to being self-consciouss about it eventually.

Blindess obviously allows to omit this, at least temporarily. Until someone, or something if we include the fox, tells her. Though I guess that foxy wouldn't be much fond of her anyway xD

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Key Sharkz @dragon4111 @Duality

Key it's great we got new blood in the rp.

I do want to make a request though: While we dont have a strict posting order per say, it has been generally understood up to this point to not to post until at least a few others have as well. There's like 2 pages of posts since I last looked at the rp and I'm not sure what's going on anymore. 

Please let other people catch up and post as well. Like I said there isnt a strict posting order per say, but we all have different schedules and we'd like to be able to engage with the plot. 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just FYI I'm basing my next post after what Buck and Denim type out to see if Ley is free to go or will be stopped in any way by any of them, though I do not expect Dru to really be in position to hold her down in any way :P

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.