Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

@Duality @Buck Testa 

Fine, I get that copying magic metals would be OP.

Fine, I get that immortality as a sentient metal would be unfair. 

I may see why having her be able to copy anything would put her beyond the scope of other mages, especially at the start of the RP. 

I may have even had too high ambitions on how strong, fast and tough pelijae were. 

But-

On 3/26/2019 at 2:44 AM, Duality said:

It is hereby DM-ruled that it is possible for one slightly-above-average human to defeat one average Pelajae, even if they're both mundanes. Being not-quite-human in just the right ways isn't a free ticket to victory in physical combat. If you want to win, exercise like everyone else.

This I will not accept. What's the point in playing a pelijae if humans are just as powerful, if not arguably more so? They nearly outnumber all other pelijae races combined, are just as fast, just as strong, just as tough and just as smart. They are the dominant species. What redeeming qualities does being a pelijae have at this point? 

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

@Duality @Buck Testa 

Fine, I get that copying magic metals would be OP.

Fine, I get that immortality as a sentient metal would be unfair. 

I may see why having her be able to copy anything would put her beyond the scope of other mages, especially at the start of the RP. 

I may have even had too high ambitions on how strong, fast and tough pelijae were. 

But-

This I will not accept. What's the point in playing a pelijae if humans are just as powerful, if not arguably more so? They nearly outnumber all other pelijae races combined, are just as fast, just as strong, just as tough and just as smart. They are the dominant species. What redeeming qualities does being a pelijae have at this point? 

Lots of reasons! Just like there are a lot of reasons to pick various D&D races. A Halfling Rogue and A Half-Orc Barbarian are just as viable in combat as one another, they are just viable in different ways. There is also things like night vision and enhanced senses you can look into, or things you can do with your tail, all kinds of things. D&D is a great place to look for seeing how you can have satisfying variations of race and racial abilities without making yourself unbalanced in the process. 

That's not even getting into cultural or racial history that you can get into with your character. There's a wealth of role play to be had with being such a being in a human dominated world. Plus it's not like your character is an AVERAGE person. They are military and martial arts trained, and they have magic at their disposal. 

I'm also not saying that Copying Metal is OP, neither is @Duality. I'm saying what you are trying to DO with that ability coupled with the passive stat boosts is too off curve for the game as it stands right now. 

I actually REALLY like the idea, and with some retooling with the rp in mind it could really make for an interesting power set. I'd love to brainstorm even! Coming up with powers and balancing them is super fun. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Humans and Pelajae are split 50-50, and Pelajae have a non-negligible edge on humans in direct combat due to their standard-issue sharp teeth and claws. If humans collectively rose up against Pelajae, they'd probably win, since Pelajae tend to segregate themselves by their race. If Pelajae collectively rose up against humans, however, they would also probably win, since humans tend to segregate themselves by their race in an exactly analogous way, right down to the cultural, linguistic and geographic restrictions that so easily facilitate the us-and-them mentality. The different 'species' of Pelajae are intended to be rough counterparts of ethnicities among humans, changing from country to country in a similar manner, and thus both classes of sentient are divided similarly. There's no 'dominant species', because Pelajae are, strictly speaking, a single species unto themselves. Significant variation in appearance and build, sure, but you get that in humans too. The difference between a red panda Pelajae and a black bear Pelajae is not so much more drastic than the difference between a slight Japanese person and a massively-built Pacific Islander. Humans and Pelajae are quite peacefully coexistent, and they wouldn't have been able to strike such a peace if individual Pelajae could take out multiple humans in combat. Again, there's a one-to-one ratio between humans and Pelajae. Mages are much more powerful than average humans, but they're so rare relative to them that they wouldn't be able to stand their own in true war.

8 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

I'm still very much open to Mindy being able to mimic a large range of materials, it's just got to be suitably balanced so she could have a fair chance of losing against someone with the same amount of magical skill/experience as her. The full enchanted tungsten tankform deal would probably be able to take out anyone in the arena without much difficulty; Dr. Duality's runic barriers certainly wouldn't last for long, especially if the tungsten's enchantments were good quality. On the other hand, making it so she couldn't take on any magical attributes of an object would actually put her below the level of most teachers' powers, in my opinion, so I'm not ruling that out. I think it would be quite interesting to have someone with powers like that in the RP, and I do want to get the idea off the ground, but the logistical bugs have to be stamped out first, whatever that looks like in the end.

2 hours ago, dragon4111 said:

@Denim&Venom@Duality@Buck Testa

Ghalan's completely human. But he survived through his strong will along with kevlar armor. But even then he is scarred up. Some of his old opponents were Pelajae.

Ghalan isn't the best example to bring up as he's pretty off curve with the rest of the rp as well, it's just that he got through. Being able to summon black holes and chuck them at people is something I will always contest is beyond overpowered. Even Denim's powers that he's bringing up that are too powerful for the rp wouldn't be able to stand against that. You can quite literally one shot any player right now. It's pretty ridiculous, but ultimately up to @Duality to let stay in its current iteration. MY position is gravity powers are fine, but once you start throwing singularities into the mix that can rip apart pretty much anything they are thrown at it's gone too far.

• Brohoof 1

I'm more concerned with fact of what black holes really are. Basically, if we consider the easiest examples, Ghalan literally temporarily creates an object which is at least 5 stellar masses heavy (as this is the lightest observed black hole, although I do not know if mass manipulaton wouldn't simply resolve this issue) and has a Schwarzschild radius of at least 9 miles.

I mean, I know this is all world of magic and so on, but you cannot imagine how unsettling it is to me from a scientific standpoint. No matter the size and weight of black hole, event horizon would instantly eradicate everything in its range :P

@Buck Testa@Duality@Passion

He can't really control the blackholes if they are far away from them and he isn't actively concentrating on them.

I would rather not have to petition the gm to get you to change it. You're saying you have the power to literally create points of INFINITE MASS which at any size would be able to obliterate any character or anything instantaneously upon touching it's event horizon at the atomic level. Listen there are so many other things you can do with gravity powers that I'm totally fine with, but just drop the black holes. That's all I'm saying. @Duality shouldn't have to make you see why such a power would be a bad idea. 

nagi_the_shaman_by_twintailmonkey_da1g47

Sahalia: The Architect

Magic: Earth Magic (specializes in buildings, sands and enchantments) 

Race: Lizardfolk Pelijae 

History: While Sahalia was not the only contributor to Salem University and it's enchantments, she is rather renown for her innovations in magical architecture and has quite the resume to her name. Her research revolves around magical architecture that defies normal understandings of physics. Rooms that are bigger on the inside than they are on the outside, the ability to use any surface as a floor, irregular gravity, floating platforms, and mazes that seem to defy reason are all things she's known to bake into her rooms and buildings. She has revolutionized the field of self sustained enchantments and is constantly pushing her creative feats to new heights. It is said that walking into her class is never the same experience twice since she always changes things up. 

Personality: She is very bubbly and happy, and is quick to make friends with people even if they come off as rude or mean. She is quite fond of encouraging up and coming magic users to look at their magic as not as a way to solely fight and defend ones self, but instead as a way to express themselves and contribute to the world around them. She is quite the book nerd and houses a host of books in her far more eccentric libraries. 

Fighting Style: Sahalia typically doesn't fight. She thinks it's a waste of talent in comparison to the more creative pursuits one could do with magic. However when she does fight it's usually inside one of her labyrinthine constructs. It is there she can dictate the rules of engagement in ways most magic users simply cannot. She specializes in disorienting her opponent and wearing them out with her logic defying rooms. She also can create rooms from scratch during battle, though this usually requires compatible material with her powers. Dirt, rock, stone, sand, glass and similar substances are substances she likes to employ. Her aim is usually to use such a fight as a teaching experience rather than dominating her opponent, and usually her opponent surrenders rather than her defeating them in combat. 

Class: Sustained Enchantments and You: Sahalia teaches a course about how to write and create sustained enchantments. Much like with a computer program, these can be very simple and straight forward to as complex as you can imagine. The more complex it is, the longer it will take to create and the more testing you will have to do to get it right.  

Class: Favored Medium 101: Sahalia teaches a course about learning your Favored Medium, or the element or substance that your magic resonates with. It could be anything from water to fire to metals, but in principle, she teaches, they are all connected. She teaches the importance of learning the nature of your favored medium, understanding how it works to such an extent that it becomes a part of who you are. The more you understand your favored medium, the more you will see how it can be applied in magical spells. 

Just now, dragon4111 said:

@Duality@Passion@Buck Testa

Fine I'll drop the black hole but I'm keeping the white hole.

Isn't that Infinite energy or something like that? It's the same issue (probably worse). There are so many ways you can use gravity that doesn't involve the holes. You'll still be plenty powerful, but you just should not be able to instantly kill a player character like that. There's no way to fight either one of those for now. Even Comic Book Characters who use gravity powers rarely ever touch those. 

@dragon4111

You don't have to mention me in most posts, I am following this thread anyway :P

Think outside the box, there are various applications gravity can be used to. Even "The Way of Kings" by Sanderson, although not directly connected to gravity but more to air, gives some neat ideas. You can basically for example change the direction of gravitational pull working on objects around you. For example, make somebody a relative gravitational well for certain objects around you. Example, you make the desk nearby believe that center of it's gravitational pull is the person nearby. What happens next is the desk flies towards them. They dodge? Too bad. Gravity works in one direction and that direction is currently pointed towards them.

You can literally have Ghalan fly if you wanted and swiftly change from running/walking on walls and ceilings with ease. There are a lot of creative applications, just experiment.

@Buck Testa

I swear you made this character for Ley specifically as I can see she would be willing to attend both of these. You monster. :x

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
19 hours ago, Passion said:

I'm more concerned with fact of what black holes really are. Basically, if we consider the easiest examples, Ghalan literally temporarily creates an object which is at least 5 stellar masses heavy (as this is the lightest observed black hole, although I do not know if mass manipulaton wouldn't simply resolve this issue) and has a Schwarzschild radius of at least 9 miles.

I mean, I know this is all world of magic and so on, but you cannot imagine how unsettling it is to me from a scientific standpoint. No matter the size and weight of black hole, event horizon would instantly eradicate everything in its range :P

I wouldn't have let it pass if the situation was that terrible. The reason we've only observed black holes that large is because it requires an insane amount of mass to naturally - keyword: naturally - generate a gravitational field intense enough to overcome the proportionately very strong forces stabilising atoms. Nobody knows how small you can make black holes, so I figured that fact plus direct gravity manipulation (circumventing the problem of overcoming atomic forces altogether) would sort out the theory of making compact ones. Look:

image.png.df6c45bfa7a5839cd9a41d49091ea575.png

If a black hole of Schwarzschild radius 1mm exerts that much gravitational force, then the radius of a black hole exerting a handful of g-forces at the surface of its event horizon (just enough to hoover up rubbish) would have an absolutely miniscule event horizon. The whole point of black holes is that they're tiny for the amount of force they exert; the event horizon of one of Ghalan's would be so small that you'd need an electron scanning microscope to see it, and even then you might have to squint. There's no cause for concern here, my good sir, I'm aggressively not the sort to handwave away scientific concerns with 'because magic'. :mustache:

7 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

I would rather not have to petition the gm to get you to change it. You're saying you have the power to literally create points of INFINITE MASS which at any size would be able to obliterate any character or anything instantaneously upon touching it's event horizon at the atomic level. Listen there are so many other things you can do with gravity powers that I'm totally fine with, but just drop the black holes. That's all I'm saying. @Duality shouldn't have to make you see why such a power would be a bad idea. 

2 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

Isn't that Infinite energy or something like that? It's the same issue (probably worse). There are so many ways you can use gravity that doesn't involve the holes. You'll still be plenty powerful, but you just should not be able to instantly kill a player character like that. There's no way to fight either one of those for now. Even Comic Book Characters who use gravity powers rarely ever touch those. 

Hey, what's with the bold sections up above? Offence not intended, but you and me are separate entities with no causal cognitive relationship.

That aside, it's theoretical infinite density with regards black holes; the mass is quite finite and may be adjusted to accommodate desired gravitational attraction. Ditto with white holes, which are only an as-of-yet unobserved time-reverse of black holes that spit out a pile of matter which hypothetically may be the same matter as that consumed by another black hole somewhere in the universe. This implies that the matter that Ghalan's white hole spat out was just a pile of crushed trash that he previously hoovered up with his black holes - not infinite in magnitude at all.

There really aren't many - in fact, I'd argue any - things you can do with gravity powers that don't involve spacetime distortion on par with black holes. It's an extremely weak form of force, which may be readily evidenced by the fact that the vast bulk of Earth doesn't even have enough attraction to overcome a fridge magnet's attraction to a paperclip - if Ghalan wants to be stronger than a fridge magnet, he needs to distort spacetime more than Earth does within a volume billionths of the size of a planet. It's either you strip the gravity powers from the janitor entirely or you figure out a decent balancing mechanism for black hole abilities, as I erroneously thought had already been done. It's quite clear that black holes and white holes are already several-times-explicitly-stated canon IC, too, so you're far too late to try to get @dragon4111 to give it up now.

@Buck Testa

Fine fine

Don't worry, I'm with you on this.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you weren't planning to try utterly annihilating opponents by throwing black holes into people's faces, right? With that ability, the instant a fight becomes a matter of life or death Ghalan can just turn it into a matter of death - and, more pertinently, the janitor would have never gotten his scars if he'd been able to instakill people, because he could have just vwooshed whoever or whatever was trying to give him scars and walked away untouched.

I therefore propose that strong magical fields disrupt Ghalan's power to an extent - not to the point where he can't do anything with his magic, just to the point that he loses finer control over it. This would mean that he wouldn't be able to keep his black/white holes stable, since they're artificial spacetime singularities and thus require a good amount of control to keep them from simply evaporating. 'Strong magical fields' would include ones such as the Abomination's environmental magic saturation (possibly why his white hole destabilised so rapidly during the fight's aftermath), and also, the key to the balancing mechanic here, a person's aura.

With this mechanic in place, any black or white hole he tried to throw at anyone directly (or at any protection field they might have in place) would destabilise just before reaching their skin (or the surface of the field) as their aura/magical field disrupted it, causing them to evaporate and leave only (strictly harmless) gravitational waves rippling outwards from where it used to be. This way, he'd still be able to attack people by buffeting them around with gravity or throwing things at them, but he wouldn't be able to immediately penetrate any shield they had up with his abilities (he could gravity-smack the shield or throw things at it with his powers, but not just levitate the person inside the shield without even puncturing the shield) and there would be no use in throwing black holes to destroy anything but inanimate objects. This fits in well with what has already been established IC, as he's effectively only used gravity for levitating people who never bothered to stop him and during the Abomination's onslaught all he used his powers for was to throw stuff at it and defend against the stuff that was being thrown back at him.

TL;DR, magical fields would partially disrupt Ghalan's control over local gravity, stopping him from being able to instakill people with black holes (their magical aura or shield causing the holes to destabilise and 'pop' into harmless spacetime ripples if they get close) and making it so that undamaged magical protection barriers are effective in stopping him from controlling gravity inside them. Does this sound fair and good?

3 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

Sahalia: The Architect

Magic: Earth Magic (specializes in buildings, sands and enchantments) 

Race: Lizardfolk Pelijae 

History: While Sahalia was not the only contributor to Salem University and it's enchantments, she is rather renown for her innovations in magical architecture and has quite the resume to her name. Her research revolves around magical architecture that defies normal understandings of physics. Rooms that are bigger on the inside than they are on the outside, the ability to use any surface as a floor, irregular gravity, floating platforms, and mazes that seem to defy reason are all things she's known to bake into her rooms and buildings. She has revolutionized the field of self sustained enchantments and is constantly pushing her creative feats to new heights. It is said that walking into her class is never the same experience twice since she always changes things up. 

Personality: She is very bubbly and happy, and is quick to make friends with people even if they come off as rude or mean. She is quite fond of encouraging up and coming magic users to look at their magic as not as a way to solely fight and defend ones self, but instead as a way to express themselves and contribute to the world around them. She is quite the book nerd and houses a host of books in her far more eccentric libraries. 

Fighting Style: Sahalia typically doesn't fight. She thinks it's a waste of talent in comparison to the more creative pursuits one could do with magic. However when she does fight it's usually inside one of her labyrinthine constructs. It is there she can dictate the rules of engagement in ways most magic users simply cannot. She specializes in disorienting her opponent and wearing them out with her logic defying rooms. She also can create rooms from scratch during battle, though this usually requires compatible material with her powers. Dirt, rock, stone, sand, glass and similar substances are substances she likes to employ. Her aim is usually to use such a fight as a teaching experience rather than dominating her opponent, and usually her opponent surrenders rather than her defeating them in combat. 

Class: Sustained Enchantments and You: Sahalia teaches a course about how to write and create sustained enchantments. Much like with a computer program, these can be very simple and straight forward to as complex as you can imagine. The more complex it is, the longer it will take to create and the more testing you will have to do to get it right.  

Class: Favored Medium 101: Sahalia teaches a course about learning your Favored Medium, or the element or substance that your magic resonates with. It could be anything from water to fire to metals, but in principle, she teaches, they are all connected. She teaches the importance of learning the nature of your favored medium, understanding how it works to such an extent that it becomes a part of who you are. The more you understand your favored medium, the more you will see how it can be applied in magical spells. 

... oooh.

I like the look of this character very much indeed. Plenty of opportunity for a positive relationship with Dr. Duality, in particular, what with the shared interests in self-sustaining enchantments and magic-infused geometry, the apparent similarity in personality/outlook on life, and the fact that she, too, appears to be one of the teachers who worked at the University during its formative years. (Or was there from the beginning, perhaps? Do elaborate more here at your leisure; Duality has spent far too long without proper peers and I've been wanting to get that changed.) I'm also looking forward to the analysis that the Favoured Medium class makes of elementalism. Sahalia's first impression leaves much to live up to.

Decisively approved. :-D

Edited by Duality

3 hours ago, Duality said:

I wouldn't have let it pass if the situation was that terrible. The reason we've only observed black holes that large is because it requires an insane amount of mass to naturally - keyword: naturally - generate a gravitational field intense enough to overcome the proportionately very strong forces stabilising atoms. Nobody knows how small you can make black holes, so I figured that fact plus direct gravity manipulation (circumventing the problem of overcoming atomic forces altogether) would sort out the theory of making compact ones. Look:

image.png.df6c45bfa7a5839cd9a41d49091ea575.png

If a black hole of Schwarzschild radius 1mm exerts that much gravitational force, then the radius of a black hole exerting a handful of g-forces at the surface of its event horizon (just enough to hoover up rubbish) would have an absolutely miniscule event horizon. The whole point of black holes is that they're tiny for the amount of force they exert; the event horizon of one of Ghalan's would be so small that you'd need an electron scanning microscope to see it, and even then you might have to squint. There's no cause for concern here, my good sir, I'm aggressively not the sort to handwave away scientific concerns with 'because magic'. :mustache:

Hey, what's with the bold sections up above? Offence not intended, but you and me are separate entities with no causal cognitive relationship.

That aside, it's theoretical infinite density with regards black holes; the mass is quite finite and may be adjusted to accommodate desired gravitational attraction. Ditto with white holes, which are only an as-of-yet unobserved time-reverse of black holes that spit out a pile of matter which hypothetically may be the same matter as that consumed by another black hole somewhere in the universe. This implies that the matter that Ghalan's white hole spat out was just a pile of crushed trash that he previously hoovered up with his black holes - not infinite in magnitude at all.

There really aren't many - in fact, I'd argue any - things you can do with gravity powers that don't involve spacetime distortion on par with black holes. It's an extremely weak form of force, which may be readily evidenced by the fact that the vast bulk of Earth doesn't even have enough attraction to overcome a fridge magnet's attraction to a paperclip - if Ghalan wants to be stronger than a fridge magnet, he needs to distort spacetime more than Earth does within a volume billionths of the size of a planet. It's either you strip the gravity powers from the janitor entirely or you figure out a decent balancing mechanism for black hole abilities, as I erroneously thought had already been done. It's quite clear that black holes and white holes are already several-times-explicitly-stated canon IC, too, so you're far too late to try to get @dragon4111 to give it up now.

Don't worry, I'm with you on this.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but you weren't planning to try utterly annihilating opponents by throwing black holes into people's faces, right? With that ability, the instant a fight becomes a matter of life or death Ghalan can just turn it into a matter of death - and, more pertinently, the janitor would have never gotten his scars if he'd been able to instakill people, because he could have just vwooshed whoever or whatever was trying to give him scars and walked away untouched.

I therefore propose that strong magical fields disrupt Ghalan's power to an extent - not to the point where he can't do anything with his magic, just to the point that he loses finer control over it. This would mean that he wouldn't be able to keep his black/white holes stable, since they're artificial spacetime singularities and thus require a good amount of control to keep them from simply evaporating. 'Strong magical fields' would include ones such as the Abomination's environmental magic saturation (possibly why his white hole destabilised so rapidly during the fight's aftermath), and also, the key to the balancing mechanic here, a person's aura.

With this mechanic in place, any black or white hole he tried to throw at anyone directly (or at any protection field they might have in place) would destabilise just before reaching their skin (or the surface of the field) as their aura/magical field disrupted it, causing them to evaporate and leave only (strictly harmless) gravitational waves rippling outwards from where it used to be. This way, he'd still be able to attack people by buffeting them around with gravity or throwing things at them, but he wouldn't be able to immediately penetrate any shield they had up with his abilities (he could gravity-smack the shield or throw things at it with his powers, but not just levitate the person inside the shield without even puncturing the shield) and there would be no use in throwing black holes to destroy anything but inanimate objects. This fits in well with what has already been established IC, as he's effectively only used gravity for levitating people who never bothered to stop him and during the Abomination's onslaught all he used his powers for was to throw stuff at it and defend against the stuff that was being thrown back at him.

TL;DR, magical fields would partially disrupt Ghalan's control over local gravity, stopping him from being able to instakill people with black holes (their magical aura or shield causing the holes to destabilise and 'pop' into harmless spacetime ripples if they get close) and making it so that undamaged magical protection barriers are effective in stopping him from controlling gravity inside them. Does this sound fair and good?

I've been wondering for some time now what your reasoning was for allowing Ghalan's powers. This is acceptable. Main characters magical auras prevent him from instakilling with a black/white hole. It's really the instakill part I was opposed too so that works. 

3 hours ago, Duality said:

.. oooh.

I like the look of this character very much indeed. Plenty of opportunity for a positive relationship with Dr. Duality, in particular, what with the shared interests in self-sustaining enchantments and magic-infused geometry, the apparent similarity in personality/outlook on life, and the fact that she, too, appears to be one of the teachers who worked at the University during its formative years. (Or was there from the beginning, perhaps? Do elaborate more here at your leisure; Duality has spent far too long without proper peers and I've been wanting to get that changed.) I'm also looking forward to the analysis that the Favoured Medium class makes of elementalism. Sahalia's first impression leaves much to live up to.

Decisively approved. :-D

I would very much like her to be one of the founding members and one of the people who helped design Salem and it's enchantments along with Duality. I designed Sahalia specifically because there wasn't a lot of actual teachers and I think she'll be filling a need the RP has. My idea for introducing her into the game is that she's been traveling and studying ancient pyramids and ruins and learning from them and now is back just a little bit after the semester starts. I also have given the magic systems for this rp a lot of thought, so Sahalia would be the way I can convey those ideas as well as giving some much needed classes to this university. 

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

I've been wondering for some time now what your reasoning was for allowing Ghalan's powers. This is acceptable. Main characters magical auras prevent him from instakilling with a black/white hole. It's really the instakill part I was opposed too so that works. 

Any characters, really. Even non-magical characters have an intrinsic life-force aura that could be construed as something similar enough to have the same effect, but mundanes don't play much of a part in the main RP so I'm not really going to push that unless Ghalan tries to instakill a bunch of random people. My apologies for the protracted concerns; I legitimately thought I'd already explicitly implemented such a limitation.

8 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

I would very much like her to be one of the founding members and one of the people who helped design Salem and it's enchantments along with Duality. I designed Sahalia specifically because there wasn't a lot of actual teachers and I think she'll be filling a need the RP has. My idea for introducing her into the game is that she's been traveling and studying ancient pyramids and ruins and learning from them and now is back just a little bit after the semester starts. I also have given the magic systems for this rp a lot of thought, so Sahalia would be the way I can convey those ideas as well as giving some much needed classes to this university.

Absolutely. Duality and Lilith are so far the only living members of the school's 'old guard' and I think this is a spectacular idea for another. I'm thinking that, as well as playing a part in the design, creation, and now maintenance of the University's runic architecture, she would have had a hand in making the rarely-alluded-to barrier of spacetime warpage surrounding and protecting the University's island, working as part of a team headed by Gabriel Lazel himself (and including Duality as his assistant). A masterpiece of reality-bending self-sustaining enchantment imbued into the geography itself - what could be more fitting for something she helped make? If she's forty now, though, she can't have been particularly old when the University was founded. Duality is fifty-odd currently and even she was in her twenties when she originally got the job of lab assistant to Gabriel and probably in her late thirties when Salem was declared officially open for the first time.

22 minutes ago, Duality said:

Absolutely. Duality and Lilith are so far the only living members of the school's 'old guard' and I think this is a spectacular idea for another. I'm thinking that, as well as playing a part in the design, creation, and now maintenance of the University's runic architecture, she would have had a hand in making the rarely-alluded-to barrier of spacetime warpage surrounding and protecting the University's island, working as part of a team headed by Gabriel Lazel himself (and including Duality as his assistant). A masterpiece of reality-bending self-sustaining enchantment imbued into the geography itself - what could be more fitting for something she helped make? If she's forty now, though, she can't have been particularly old when the University was founded. Duality is fifty-odd currently and even she was in her twenties when she originally got the job of lab assistant to Gabriel and probably in her late thirties when Salem was declared officially open for the first time.

Ooooh~ What if she was about Dru's age when the school was first founded? The timeline would work as your character would be about ten'ish years older than Sahalia. I want her to be one of the people drawing Druantia to the good side along with Duality, while people like The Nice Lady are more interested in having her being a force of chaos and evil. That would be an interesting way she could relate with Dru, Helping to found the university around the same age as Dru enlisted. Plus flash backs to the Adventures of Duality and her cute little lizard companion Sahalia. 

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

Ooooh~ What if she was about Dru's age when the school was first founded? The timeline would work as your character would be about ten'ish years older than Sahalia. I want her to be one of the people drawing Druantia to the good side along with Duality, while people like The Nice Lady are more interested in having her being a force of chaos and evil. That would be an interesting way she could relate with Dru, Helping to found the university around the same age as Dru enlisted. Plus flash backs to the Adventures of Duality and her cute little lizard companion Sahalia. 

Wait, Dru is twenty? If Duality was in her late thirties when the school was opened and thus mid to early thirties when the school was constructed, that would put Sahalia at mid to early twenties when the school was built. :sealed:

4 hours ago, dragon4111 said:

@Duality

Thank you Hmm well Ghalan was Gabriel's best friend but I would think that Ghalan would just be a watch dog watching the school and any outside forces.

Hey, wait, Lilith was stated to be Gabriel's best friend in the RP's introduction. Wasn't Ghalan in the military at about the time the school was founded?

4 minutes ago, Duality said:

Wait, Dru is twenty? If Duality was in her late thirties when the school was opened and thus mid to early thirties when the school was constructed, that would put Sahalia at mid to early twenties when the school was built. :sealed:

Hey, wait, Lilith was stated to be Gabriel's best friend in the RP's introduction. Wasn't Ghalan in the military at about the time the school was founded?

Nonononononono, I was saying that if Sahalia is Ten years younger than Duality when the school was built, and if Duality was in her early Twenties when the school was built, then Sahalia would be in her early teens or younger during that time, around the same age as Dru is now. 

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

Nonononononono, I was saying that if Sahalia is Ten years younger than Duality when the school was built, and if Duality was in her early Twenties when the school was built, then Sahalia would be in her early teens or younger during that time, around the same age as Dru is now. 

Ohhh, so not having an active hand in its construction? It's quite reasonable that she could have worked on installing some of the architecture at a date later than the founding, I suppose.

EDIT: Wait, no, Duality was in her mid to early thirties when the school was built. Late thirties when it was opened. In her twenties was when she first became Gabriel's assistant, which was well before the idea of the school ever got signed off on.

Edited by Duality

Just now, Duality said:

Ohhh, so not having an active hand in its construction? It's quite reasonable that she could have worked on installing some of the architecture at a date later than the founding, I suppose.

Perhaps? Maybe she helped and learned her love for architecture while it was being built? We could also just age her up a bit more so Duality and her are closer to the same age during that time. 

Just now, Buck Testa said:

Perhaps? Maybe she helped and learned her love for architecture while it was being built? We could also just age her up a bit more so Duality and her are closer to the same age during that time. 

Her parents could have been active participants in building it. That would be a nifty source of inspiration. The school is a few over twenty years old since founding, though (since Gabriel died just before the school's 20-year anniversary gala as per the RP introduction), so forty would still make her nearing twenty at the time of construction.