Jump to content
Banner by ~ Rikifive

OOC Salem University OOC (Open)


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Duality said:

Her parents could have been active participants in building it. That would be a nifty source of inspiration. The school is a few over twenty years old since founding, though (since Gabriel died just before the school's 20-year anniversary gala as per the RP introduction), so forty would still make her nearing twenty at the time of construction.

Okay but you said your character is 50 something? making her over ten years older than MC in current day? So if your character was in her twenties during the founding of the school that age difference would still apply right? What was her exact age during the founding? 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Register now to remove this ad.
  • Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Arid_Blitz and I are dual-DMing on this RP; he created it and I adapted it. [EDIT: I am now sole DM. Your fates rest in my hands alone. Bow before your master, o dungeons.]   IC thread can be found

sorry I'm a little lost to post...

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Duality said:

Hey, wait, Lilith was stated to be Gabriel's best friend in the RP's introduction. Wasn't Ghalan in the military at about the time the school was founded?

Ghalan is friends with the two as I talked to Arid about it and have stated it before. And yes he was in the military and in a way still is.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

Okay but you said your character is 50 something? making her over ten years older than MC in current day? So if your character was in her twenties during the founding of the school that age difference would still apply right? What was her exact age during the founding? 

No, she was in her thirties when it was founded. In her twenties was when she was first taken on by Gabriel as assistant.

1 hour ago, dragon4111 said:

Ghalan is friends with the two as I talked to Arid about it and have stated it before. And yes he was in the military and in a way still is.

Ah, okay. I just hadn't heard about him being Gabriel's best friend.

Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

Dot Dash

Age: 11010

Magic: N/A

Race: Human

Status: Administrator

Backstory:

Dr. Duality's second cousin once removed - that is, her mother's cousin's granddaughter - has often been regarded as even more eccentric than the professor herself, if such a feat is possible. Having graduated a mundane university with a diploma in mixology despite her consistently mediocre grades, Dot Dash managed to secure a part-time job as a barista while proceeding to take a course in programming, which she left midway through due to the fact that they refused to teach computer languages in terms of binary processing operations, a certificate in drumming, which she was expelled from midway through after 'continually and incessantly generating unnecessary rhythms during lessons', a paper on Boolean logic, which she dropped out of midway through after her lecturer banned her from repetitively clicking her pen during tests, and several short classes on Morse code, which she passed with flying colours. After being kicked out of her third flatting arrangement in a month due to her intolerable finger-tapping, Dot frantically hunted for accommodations among her relatives and acquaintances, finally finding a roof to live under when Duality caught wind of her predicament and offered her rent-free housing and a modest salary in exchange for her services as a personal secretary - obsessive rhythmic habits acknowledged and accepted. With this financial boost and occasional gigs as an underground experimental artist under the pseudonym Deadbeat, Dot Dash was able to quit her minimum-wage coffee-shop job and start up a small from-home gourmet beverage business using absurdly exotic ingredients in surprisingly palatable ways.

Salem University's administration, however, quickly noticed the significant improvement in the timeliness of Duality's paperwork completion and approached Dot to ask if she would be interested in an internship position with them, potentially leading to full-time employment. She accepted the offer conditionally, adding several extra clauses to her contract to state that she not only had to be provided with a standard-issue enchantment that kept her safe from the sort of magic that gets thrown around at the University, but also had to be provided with a custom enchantment that suppressed the sound of her hands for all people except herself, and additionally these enchantments absolutely had to be 1) placed on bangles and 2) placed on brightly-coloured glow-in-the-dark bangles. The University accepted her terms with mild confusion, adding a memo to their records noting that Duality had offered to create such a soundproofing enchantment for Dot Dash in the past but was unable to design 'satisfactorily neon bangles'. Using these audio-suppressive magical accessories extensively to avoid any continuation of past issues with her new colleagues, Dot soon became a widely respected member of administrative staff while still working closely with Duality on matters of schedule, running her one-person mixology company, and pursuing her eclectic interests - now including Boolean algebra, raw logic-gate coding, ever more intense experimental drumming, the mastering of a vast array of binary languages (Morse code and Braille being two of her long-time favourites), and even constructing rudimentary computing machines after the tradition of Charles Babbage.

Personality:

The first thing most people notice upon meeting Dot Dash is the sheer innate rhythm that resonates throughout her life. Perpetually tapping her desk, snapping her fingers, and clicking her pen - often in time to a beat flowing through her well-worn purple headphones, but usually in time to a beat flowing only through her mind -, she even started keeping mints in her pocket after discovering the Tic-Tac brand simply because of how much enjoyment she takes from the name (and also, admittedly, from the sound of popping the plastic container lid open and closed). She has seemingly unlimited stocks of enthusiasm for almost any activity conceivable as long as she can do it to a beat, but adores beyond reason tasks that she perceives to have rhythm intrinsic to their nature, notably including scheduling ('it's like harmonising people's heartbeats except people usually don't have much of a heartbeat after a few days of full-time work') and programming ('so there's 1 and there's 0 and 1 is like the sound of someone bodyslamming a drumkit and 0 is like that utter silence between the buildup to a drop and the sound of someone bodyslamming a drumkit, and bodyslamming a drumkit kind of hurts so I don't recommend trying it but computers do it all the time and it makes these things called programs that do whatever you want and it's insane and definitely way more magical than just being able to throw snowballs with your mind not naming any names you shamefully tenured snow-fight cheater').

Dot Dash far prefers to be called by her nickname, Deedah, and almost invariably introduces herself to new acquaintances by that name. Her clothing and accessories often change radically from day to day based on a complex combination of her mood, the outcome of several coin flips, and the first items that fall out of her wardrobe, but nearly permanent to her appearance are her beloved bangles, her headphones, and a pair of lenseless glasses she wears, in her own words, 'to remind myself to look for more than I see'. She shares Duality's passion for helping others and enjoys spending time with her distant cousin, often in playing the ancient strategy game Go (Duality likes playing it because of its simple yet elegant rule system and the unconventional strategies it often involves, and Dot likes playing it because of its binary black-white counters and the rhythmic, logical turn-based alternation between the two). There are very few things that Deedah dislikes - not even people who actively display irritation with her energetic eccentricity can easily affect her upbeat attitude -, but people who mock others and make them feel bad for being 'too excited' over something hold a special place in her revenge fantasies, and she cannot stand arrhythmic sounds, particularly abstract new-age music. When Dot is in an exceptionally peaceful state of mind, her breathing pattern itself falls into rhythm with her speech and movements to imbue her every motion with fluidity reminiscent of a long-practised dance.

Edited by Duality
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Duality said:

Dot Dash

Age: 11010

Magic: N/A

Race: Human

Status: Administrator

Backstory:

Dr. Duality's second cousin once removed - that is, her mother's cousin's granddaughter - has often been regarded as even more eccentric than the professor herself, if such a feat is possible. Having graduated a mundane university with a diploma in mixology despite her consistently mediocre grades, Dot Dash managed to secure a part-time job as a barista while proceeding to take a course in programming, which she left midway through due to the fact that they refused to teach computer languages in terms of binary processing operations, a certificate in drumming, which she was expelled from midway through after 'continually and incessantly generating unnecessary rhythms during lessons', a paper on Boolean logic, which she dropped out of midway through after her lecturer banned her from repetitively clicking her pen during tests, and several short classes on Morse code, which she passed with flying colours. After being kicked out of her third flatting arrangement in a month due to her intolerable finger-tapping, Dot frantically hunted for accommodations among her relatives and acquaintances, finally finding a roof to live under when Duality caught wind of her predicament and offered her rent-free housing and a modest salary in exchange for her services as a personal secretary - obsessive rhythmic habits acknowledged and accepted. With this financial boost and occasional gigs as an underground experimental artist under the pseudonym Deadbeat, Dot Dash was able to quit her minimum-wage coffee-shop job and start up a small from-home gourmet beverage business using absurdly exotic ingredients in surprisingly palatable ways.

Salem University's administration, however, quickly noticed the significant improvement in the timeliness of Duality's paperwork completion and approached Dot to ask if she would be interested in an internship position with them, potentially leading to full-time employment. She accepted the offer conditionally, adding several extra clauses to her contract to state that she not only had to be provided with a standard-issue enchantment that kept her safe from the sort of magic that gets thrown around at the University, but also had to be provided with a custom enchantment that suppressed the sound of her hands for all people except herself, and additionally these enchantments absolutely had to be 1) placed on bangles and 2) placed on brightly-coloured glow-in-the-dark bangles. The University accepted her terms with mild confusion, adding a memo to their records noting that Duality had offered to create such a soundproofing enchantment for Dot Dash in the past but was unable to design 'satisfactorily neon bangles'. Using these audio-suppressive magical accessories extensively to avoid any continuation of past issues with her new colleagues, Dot soon became a widely respected member of administrative staff while still working closely with Duality on matters of schedule, running her one-person mixology company, and pursuing her eclectic interests - now including Boolean algebra, raw logic-gate coding, ever more intense experimental drumming, the mastering of a vast array of binary languages (Morse code and Braille being two of her long-time favourites), and even constructing rudimentary computing machines after the tradition of Charles Babbage.

Personality:

The first thing most people notice upon meeting Dot Dash is the sheer innate rhythm that resonates throughout her life. Perpetually tapping her desk, snapping her fingers, and clicking her pen - often in time to a beat flowing through her well-worn purple headphones, but usually in time to a beat flowing only through her mind -, she even started keeping mints in her pocket after discovering the Tic-Tac brand simply because of how much enjoyment she takes from the name (and also, admittedly, from the sound of popping the plastic container lid open and closed). She has seemingly unlimited stocks of enthusiasm for almost any activity conceivable as long as she can do it to a beat, but adores beyond reason tasks that she perceives to have rhythm intrinsic to their nature, notably including scheduling ('it's like harmonising people's heartbeats except people usually don't have much of a heartbeat after a few days of full-time work') and programming ('so there's 1 and there's 0 and 1 is like the sound of someone bodyslamming a drumkit and 0 is like that utter silence between the buildup to a drop and the sound of someone bodyslamming a drumkit, and bodyslamming a drumkit kind of hurts so I don't recommend trying it but computers do it all the time and it makes these things called programs that do whatever you want and it's insane and definitely way more magical than just being able to throw snowballs with your mind not naming any names you shamefully tenured snow-fight cheater').

Dot Dash far prefers to be called by her nickname, Deedah, and almost invariably introduces herself to new acquaintances by that name. Her clothing and accessories often change radically from day to day based on a complex combination of her mood, the outcome of several coin flips, and the first items that fall out of her wardrobe, but nearly permanent to her appearance are her beloved bangles, her headphones, and a pair of lenseless glasses she wears, in her own words, 'to remind myself to look for more than I see'. She shares Duality's passion for helping others and enjoys spending time with her distant cousin, often in playing the ancient strategy game Go (Duality likes playing it because of its simple yet elegant rule system and the unconventional strategies it often involves, and Dot likes playing it because of its binary black-white counters and the rhythmic, logical turn-based alternation between the two). There are very few things that Deedah dislikes - not even people who actively display irritation with her energetic eccentricity can easily affect her upbeat attitude -, but people who mock others and make them feel bad for being 'too excited' over something hold a special place in her revenge fantasies, and she cannot stand arrhythmic sounds, particularly abstract new-age music. When Dot is in an exceptionally peaceful state of mind, her breathing pattern itself falls into rhythm with her speech and movements to imbue her every motion with fluidity reminiscent of a long-practised dance.

Sounds like she and Miko would get along great. I was eventually gonna introduce Miko's own habit of refusing to stand still and always needing to do something with her hands, usually twirling one of her butterfly knives open and closed or openign and shutting an oriental fan. Heck, I imagine Deedah might like some of the same music Miko does, if she doesn't mind melodic death metal, progressive metal, and DJENT. 

 

That and I'd imagine Miko would subtly manipulate Dot Dash to be more of a nuisance to the staff, much to her own amusement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Buck Testa said:

Shes running a class right now right? I'm waiting on that reply to move Druantia

She is. This'll be in addition to my next big post. 

But with sound magic comes super hearing, or even a broader awareness of sound vibration in the air. TNL's song would not register well with Miko. Like most unpleasant/ tasteless sounds in her life, Miko would try to ignore it. Though I'd imagine that part at the end would be enough to make her go "Okay, wtf?" 

That and I'd imagine it be heard to ignore what just happened with Ley's aura spiking then vanishing right outside the class room. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Denim&Venom said:

She is. This'll be in addition to my next big post. 

But with sound magic comes super hearing, or even a broader awareness of sound vibration in the air. TNL's song would not register well with Miko. Like most unpleasant/ tasteless sounds in her life, Miko would try to ignore it. Though I'd imagine that part at the end would be enough to make her go "Okay, wtf?" 

That and I'd imagine it be heard to ignore what just happened with Ley's aura spiking then vanishing right outside the class room. 

A few things. 

The Nice Lady is very difficult to perceive properly. Willful Magic Users (read Player Characters) are able to glean SOMETHING is off with her to various extents (up to your discretion on how well they can sense her) but part of her power is in the fact that she can do insane shit without people properly noticing how creepy she is. I would ask you to keep that in mind when you write about interactions with her.

Second, the laughing clip is a replaying of the sounds that Druantias aura was making during her berserker state. If your character could hear that she would probably be able to recall where she heard it from. 

Third keep in mind the timeline of events. First Ley vanished and the Janitor left. Then The Nice Lady showed up and had her brief conversation with Lucius before leaving. By the time your character would come out TNL has already "exited stage right" or left the proverbial scene. The only one that's going to be out there is Lucius. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

A few things. 

The Nice Lady is very difficult to perceive properly. Willful Magic Users (read Player Characters) are able to glean SOMETHING is off with her to various extents (up to your discretion on how well they can sense her) but part of her power is in the fact that she can do insane shit without people properly noticing how creepy she is. I would ask you to keep that in mind when you write about interactions with her.

Second, the laughing clip is a replaying of the sounds that Druantias aura was making during her berserker state. If your character could hear that she would probably be able to recall where she heard it from. 

Third keep in mind the timeline of events. First Ley vanished and the Janitor left. Then The Nice Lady showed up and had her brief conversation with Lucius before leaving. By the time your character would come out TNL has already "exited stage right" or left the proverbial scene. The only one that's going to be out there is Lucius. 

Oh Miko won't be interacting. This'll be after she's left. She'll be gone by the time Miko checks in. But even then, Miko's sense of sound can tell that something is off, especially since one of Miko's own powers is using different sonic frequencies to mess with peoples heads. 

And the laughing would be another red flag, given Miko is hearing those sounds, but knows it isn't Dru given that she's in her class. Gotta check it out at that point. 

And yeah, Miko would only see Lusious. Miko may not have a clear idea what's going on, but she knows something is off. 

  • Yay 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Oh Miko won't be interacting. This'll be after she's left. She'll be gone by the time Miko checks in. But even then, Miko's sense of sound can tell that something is off, especially since one of Miko's own powers is using different sonic frequencies to mess with peoples heads. 

And the laughing would be another red flag, given Miko is hearing those sounds, but knows it isn't Dru given that she's in her class. Gotta check it out at that point. 

And yeah, Miko would only see Lusious. Miko may not have a clear idea what's going on, but she knows something is off. 

Sounds good to me!

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

And yeah, Miko would only see Lusious.

Ah, you forgot the C. Luscious is the correct spelling. :catface:

Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
22 hours ago, dragon4111 said:

Hmm Just a thought @Duality maybe later in the year there could be a competition between staff members.

That's a thought. If nobody really challenges any teachers IC then I could set that up to show off some powers.

8 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

@Duality Hey quick question: Do Pelijae all have to be relatively the same height? Could you have the kind of height differences you see in Zootopia? 

Maybe not quite that drastic, otherwise we'd have to have the same sort of scaled-down and scaled-up housing they had in Zootopia. I think a 'normal' range of five feet nil to six feet and a few inches should give plenty of room to play around with height dynamics. Do let me know if you have something for specific consideration, though.

Edited by Duality
Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
31 minutes ago, Duality said:

Maybe not quite that drastic, otherwise we'd have to have the same sort of scaled-down and scaled-up housing they had in Zootopia. I think a 'normal' range of five feet nil to six feet and a few inches should give plenty of room to play around with height dynamics. Do let me know if you have something for specific consideration, though.

What about like in D&D with Halflings and gnomes and what not? They're about half the height of an average human. It wouldn't be terribly different to Dru since she's a half pint on account of her age. 

Or inversely, things like half Orcs or Goliaths that are on average just a bit taller than the average person. 

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
1 hour ago, Buck Testa said:

What about like in D&D with Halflings and gnomes and what not? They're about half the height of an average human. It wouldn't be terribly different to Dru since she's a half pint on account of her age. 

Or inversely, things like half Orcs or Goliaths that are on average just a bit taller than the average person. 

So a range of three feet tall to six and a half feet? I should draw up a bell curve or something...

33 minutes ago, dragon4111 said:

@Duality

Also a survivalist challenge too

There's a thought. Magic does lend itself well to automated laser beams, after all.

Edited by Duality
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Duality said:

So a range of three feet tall to six and a half feet? I should draw up a bell curve or something...

There's a thought. Magic does lend itself well to automated laser beams, after all.

More like 3 feet to 8 feet with the vast majority being in the 5 to 6 foot range. I have a couple character ideas based on those extreme ends but I'd need clearance to pitch em. 

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

More like 3 feet to 8 feet with the vast majority being in the 5 to 6 foot range. I have a couple character ideas based on those extreme ends but I'd need clearance to pitch em. 

Wh... what sort of looming terror is eight feet tall? I've seen what you did with the Nice Lady concept; this could prove even more nightmarish. :blink:

That aside, I can judge the character case-by-case-style if you have their details prepped. Rule-benders can be balanced too.

3 hours ago, dragon4111 said:

@Duality

Umm less magic more mundane. Like surviving in the wild?

Like in the forests surrounding the University? There's not too much land nearby - it's on an island, after all.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Keeping Ley away for a moment until you guys move on a bit with your stuff, woulr be weird for her to disappear and be like "Hey I'm back" a minute later.

 

Will probably finish Ira's class early to let her join in again. I mean it's just one of initial ones for now.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...