Duality

OOC Salem University OOC (Open)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Passion said:

Keeping Ley away for a moment until you guys move on a bit with your stuff, woulr be weird for her to disappear and be like "Hey I'm back" a minute later.

 

Will probably finish Ira's class early to let her join in again. I mean it's just one of initial ones for now.

This could be a good way to do that flash back thing you mentioned awhile back.

 

7 hours ago, Duality said:

Wh... what sort of looming terror is eight feet tall? I've seen what you did with the Nice Lady concept; this could prove even more nightmarish. :blink:

That aside, I can judge the character case-by-case-style if you have their details prepped. Rule-benders can be balanced too.

 

No I'm not planning on making another Nice Lady thats just taller. I have very specific themes and ideas for her in relation to Dru and even Duality. I'm actually wondering if you might have picked up on some of them cause I'm pretty excited about it.

 

No I had different ideas for these characters. I'll pitch them in a few hours.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Duality said:

Wh... what sort of looming terror is eight feet tall? I've seen what you did with the Nice Lady concept; this could prove even more nightmarish. :blink:

That aside, I can judge the character case-by-case-style if you have their details prepped. Rule-benders can be balanced too.

 

Keep in mind that Mindy is 7ft tall and has been since the RP started.

I think it would make sense for pelijae who's wild counterparts are as tall if not taller than humans should be a bit bigger in size themselves. 

So pony equine pelijae, bears, big cats and dragons should be bigger on average than a human. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Sorry i haven't been able to post, i've been budy with studying. I should be able to post in a couple of days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, dragon4111 said:

@Duality

Ah I see...Hmm maybe they can be teleported somewhere in the world that is regulated and basically a survival challenge sort of deal.

That seems disproportionately hard to organise. The broader teacher-competition idea is certainly a good one, though. I'll keep it in mind.

13 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

No I'm not planning on making another Nice Lady thats just taller. I have very specific themes and ideas for her in relation to Dru and even Duality. I'm actually wondering if you might have picked up on some of them cause I'm pretty excited about it.

Oh, no, I wasn't thinking anything of the sort. Repetition of ideas is hardly your style. :-P

As for the themes/ideas, I haven't picked up on any yet. Too subtle by half for me, I suspect.

13 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Keep in mind that Mindy is 7ft tall and has been since the RP started.

I think it would make sense for pelijae who's wild counterparts are as tall if not taller than humans should be a bit bigger in size themselves. 

So pony equine pelijae, bears, big cats and dragons should be bigger on average than a human. 

Where did you mention her height? I don't see it in her application or anything.

Bigger in average size is quite reasonable, but too many extra feet would turn them into veritable centipedes. Even people six feet tall tower over the majority of the human population, to say nothing of people who are closer to six and a half feet. I've met seven-foot-tall people, and even with the solid 6'1" I have to my own name they're exceedingly intimidating to be around. These particular people were skinnier than me, no less, and I have no doubt that it would be significantly more unsettling if they were built in proportion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

21 hours ago, Duality said:

That seems disproportionately hard to organise. The broader teacher-competition idea is certainly a good one, though. I'll keep it in mind.

Oh, no, I wasn't thinking anything of the sort. Repetition of ideas is hardly your style. :-P

As for the themes/ideas, I haven't picked up on any yet. Too subtle by half for me, I suspect.

Where did you mention her height? I don't see it in her application or anything.

Bigger in average size is quite reasonable, but too many extra feet would turn them into veritable centipedes. Even people six feet tall tower over the majority of the human population, to say nothing of people who are closer to six and a half feet. I've met seven-foot-tall people, and even with the solid 6'1" I have to my own name they're exceedingly intimidating to be around. These particular people were skinnier than me, no less, and I have no doubt that it would be significantly more unsettling if they were built in proportion.

Good. That's part of the idea. Mindy is supposed to as intimidating as she is alluring. Which is to say, very. 

Her towering height, granite physique, stone cold features and piercing two thousand yard stare, on top of being a wolf make her uneasy company to be around. Though deep down, she's a soft spoken gentle giantess. 

And no, I didn't put heights and weights down because those weren't asked in the character form. But I thought mentioning in her intro post that she was amazonian in stature implied her being exceedingly tall. 

BTW Miko is also 6' 1 and 180 lbs. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

16 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Good. That's part of the idea. Mindy is supposed to as intimidating as she is alluring. Which is to say, very. 

Her towering height, granite physique, stone cold features and piercing two thousand yard stare, on top of being a wolf make her uneasy company to be around. Though deep down, she's a soft spoken gentle giantess. 

And no, I didn't put heights and weights down because those weren't asked in the character form. But I thought mentioning in her intro post that she was amazonian in stature implied her being exceedingly tall. 

BTW Miko is also 6' 1 and 180 lbs. 

The intention is to explicitly state all outstanding features in the character application, otherwise I'm not going to be able to take them into account in my character approval and nobody's going to be able to take them into account in their RPing. 'Amazonian in stature' merely implies a general above-average sort of height/muscle, not an extra foot of height plus 'granite physique'-level extra strength and bulk. 'Giantess' is a more accurate descriptor, but still a nonspecific understatement that doesn't imply anything in particular with regards muscularity, especially when used in a vague colloquialism like 'gentle giantess'. I for one was imagining a fiery shortstuff Miko and a 6'1"-6'2"ish slender Mindie, and caused Duality to interact with them accordingly. Are there any other notable character feature ideas you have that you may not have stated outright in your applications?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 hour ago, Duality said:

The intention is to explicitly state all outstanding features in the character application, otherwise I'm not going to be able to take them into account in my character approval and nobody's going to be able to take them into account in their RPing. 'Amazonian in stature' merely implies a general above-average sort of height/muscle, not an extra foot of height plus 'granite physique'-level extra strength and bulk. 'Giantess' is a more accurate descriptor, but still a nonspecific understatement that doesn't imply anything in particular with regards muscularity, especially when used in a vague colloquialism like 'gentle giantess'. I for one was imagining a fiery shortstuff Miko and a 6'1"-6'2"ish slender Mindie, and caused Duality to interact with them accordingly. Are there any other notable character feature ideas you have that you may not have stated outright in your applications?

7 feet really isn't THAT extreme. It's the upper limits of what a human can be without major health issues sure, but you'd still run into someone that size on the street from time to time. 

Tallest-Giant-Women-in-The-World-13.jpgvicious-giants_v_10626-01.jpg]

I think the max is like 7'2 to 7'4, somewhere around there, before serious complications start taking place. Even then it's not without it's downsides. Most people who reach the 7'7 to even 8 foot range (In real life) don't live that long and have major mobility issues. Our bodies just weren't evolved to be that size. That's not to say there isn't an 8 footer currently walking around in real life. 

slide_15.jpg

 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buck Testa said:

7 feet really isn't THAT extreme. It's the upper limits of what a human can be without major health issues sure, but you'd still run into someone that size on the street from time to time. 

I think the max is like 7'2 to 7'4, somewhere around there, before serious complications start taking place. Even then it's not without it's downsides. Most people who reach the 7'7 to even 8 foot range (In real life) don't live that long and have major mobility issues. Our bodies just weren't evolved to be that size. That's not to say there isn't an 8 footer currently walking around in real life. 

I dunno, maybe I worded it too strongly, but seven feet still seems a smidge OTT. It would certainly change people's reactions to Mindie; those photos seem to indicate that there would be a relatively high number of shorter people asking her for selfies, at minimum. I suspect people would try jokes like 'how's the air up there' disappointingly often, too. It's just a major dynamic-changer, is all, and the fact that it wasn't really stated until now troubles my RP immersion mindset. :yuck:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

3 hours ago, Duality said:

I dunno, maybe I worded it too strongly, but seven feet still seems a smidge OTT. It would certainly change people's reactions to Mindie; those photos seem to indicate that there would be a relatively high number of shorter people asking her for selfies, at minimum. I suspect people would try jokes like 'how's the air up there' disappointingly often, too. It's just a major dynamic-changer, is all, and the fact that it wasn't really stated until now troubles my RP immersion mindset. :yuck:

Not really? I mean I've known some pretty tall people and I've never really commented on their height or treated them different. Unless, ya know, they were scary and threatening to hurt people, cause then their height is very important lol. Some people are just tall, it's not THAT big of a deal. The only time it would be a big deal is if they're trying to be intimidating or something. I don't even see the need to edit anything cause I don't think it's that much of an issue. Maybe now you can have your character to ask her to grab something off the tall shelf lol. 

I know Dru doesn't care, cause she's shorter than EVERYBODY right now XD

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Duality said:

I dunno, maybe I worded it too strongly, but seven feet still seems a smidge OTT. It would certainly change people's reactions to Mindie; those photos seem to indicate that there would be a relatively high number of shorter people asking her for selfies, at minimum. I suspect people would try jokes like 'how's the air up there' disappointingly often, too. It's just a major dynamic-changer, is all, and the fact that it wasn't really stated until now troubles my RP immersion mindset. :yuck:

Not my fault you didn't make more specific character questions. Also not my fault you missed Mindy hitting her head on the hallway door frame in her intro post. 

And I suppose people would ask for her picture. But then have second thoughts when Mindy looks down upon them with that piercing gaze and her literal resting bitch face. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

 

e9374519509280e32a01d5ab0cd998da.jpg

Roshni: The Paladin Of Knowledge 

Height: 8 foot 2 inches 

Age: 42 

Magic: Light (Specializes in Hard Light Holograms/ Illusions)

Status: Teacher 

History: The husband of Sahalia and a fellow teacher at Salem University, Roshni is something of a famous scholar among certain circles. When he was younger he was much more aggressive and warlike, but he has adopted his wife's more peaceful outlook on magic use with time. That's not to say that he isn't a fan of fighting. He will absolutely engage in a good spar and fight to defend himself and those he cares about. They have been traveling together lately researching ancient ruins and seeing what kind of knowledge they can glean from them. He has a head for retaining an encyclopedic knowledge of all manners of topics which he will absolutely love to share to anyone willing (or unwilling) to lend an ear.  

Sahalia and Roshni met during the founding of Salem and hit it off back then, and they've been a painfully cute couple ever since. 

Personality: He is a larger than life cheeseball who enjoys acting like he is a warrior for scholarly pursuits. You can see him reading more often than not as he is the unofficial librarian of the school. Though he can look rather intimidating with how massive he is, it is offset by how hammy his personality is and how he is quick to laugh at even the worst of puns and wordplay. He is also obnoxiously affectionate with his wife, which has been known to cause grumbles to anyone in the given area. 

Fighting Style: Roshni's fighting style involves a mixture of using his size to his advantage as well as disorienting his opponent. His powers work especially well in enclosed spaces like rooms, because he can use his hard light holograms to turn the room into a virtual environment. Roshni is rather tricky in combat, creating holographic copies of himself or using other diversionary tactics to get the upper hand on his opponent. When his wife and him are tag teaming in a fight they are known for turning the battle arena into anything and everything to gain an advantage over their opponents and teach them valuable lessons at the same time. He is also quite adept at close quarters combat, preferring ambush tactics and using his normally superior size to quickly overwhelm before pulling away for the next charge. 

Class: Magical Ethics and Philosophy: This is an open ended class designed to ask students about how they believe they should fit in the world. Considering the unique place they have in society, how should they see their place in it? Do their powers give them an unfair advantage over others? Should they find a way to expand the access of magic to more people or should they keep it insular? How responsible are they for leading the world into a better future, and what would that even look like? What would ethical uses of magic look like? What laws could eventually come into place from the worlds governments as they catch up to the idea of magic users existing? Things of that nature. 

Class: Ethical Self Defense: A Magical Self Defense Class with the idea of using as little force as necessary. It covers a wide range of topics including dealing with humans who are attacking magical people out of fear, determining when magic is necessary to use, asking yourself if non violent spells can diffuse the situation, and many others. This will also cover methods that individual classmates can use to use their magic to subdue their opponent without hurting them like restraining spells or other methods. It also covers how to deescalate and subdue another magical opponent and methods you can learn to read how their powers work and use that to quickly end the fight. 

 

 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

Roshni: The Paladin Of Knowledge 

Height: 8 foot 2 inches 

Age: 42 

Magic: Light (Specializes in Hard Light Holograms/ Illusions)

Status: Teacher 

History: The husband of Sahalia and a fellow teacher at Salem University, Roshni is something of a famous scholar among certain circles. When he was younger he was much more aggressive and warlike, but he has adopted his wife's more peaceful outlook on magic use with time. That's not to say that he isn't a fan of fighting. He will absolutely engage in a good spar and fight to defend himself and those he cares about. They have been traveling together lately researching ancient ruins and seeing what kind of knowledge they can glean from them. He has a head for retaining an encyclopedic knowledge of all manners of topics which he will absolutely love to share to anyone willing (or unwilling) to lend an ear.  

Sahalia and Roshni met during the founding of Salem and hit it off back then, and they've been a painfully cute couple ever since. 

Personality: He is a larger than life cheeseball who enjoys acting like he is a warrior for scholarly pursuits. You can see him reading more often than not as he is the unofficial librarian of the school. Though he can look rather intimidating with how massive he is, it is offset by how hammy his personality is and how he is quick to laugh at even the worst of puns and wordplay. He is also obnoxiously affectionate with his wife, which has been known to cause grumbles to anyone in the given area. 

Fighting Style: Roshni's fighting style involves a mixture of using his size to his advantage as well as disorienting his opponent. His powers work especially well in enclosed spaces like rooms, because he can use his hard light holograms to turn the room into a virtual environment. Roshni is rather tricky in combat, creating holographic copies of himself or using other diversionary tactics to get the upper hand on his opponent. When his wife and him are tag teaming in a fight they are known for turning the battle arena into anything and everything to gain an advantage over their opponents and teach them valuable lessons at the same time. He is also quite adept at close quarters combat, preferring ambush tactics and using his normally superior size to quickly overwhelm before pulling away for the next charge. 

Class: Magical Ethics and Philosophy: This is an open ended class designed to ask students about how they believe they should fit in the world. Considering the unique place they have in society, how should they see their place in it? Do their powers give them an unfair advantage over others? Should they find a way to expand the access of magic to more people or should they keep it insular? How responsible are they for leading the world into a better future, and what would that even look like? What would ethical uses of magic look like? What laws could eventually come into place from the worlds governments as they catch up to the idea of magic users existing? Things of that nature. 

Class: Ethical Self Defense: A Magical Self Defense Class with the idea of using as little force as necessary. It covers a wide range of topics including dealing with humans who are attacking magical people out of fear, determining when magic is necessary to use, asking yourself if non violent spells can diffuse the situation, and many others. This will also cover methods that individual classmates can use to use their magic to subdue their opponent without hurting them like restraining spells or other methods. It also covers how to deescalate and subdue another magical opponent and methods you can learn to read how their powers work and use that to quickly end the fight. 

So... him having the memory of an elephant is the elephant in the room of this application? Poor Dru. Poor, poor Dru.

Approved, although these romantic undertones are nowhere near as high-school-y as expected. :maud:

 

 

@Denim&Venom

Mindie's mimicking powers are still under consideration, right? I feel like that got buried underneath the height debacle; my apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 minute ago, Duality said:

So... him having the memory of an elephant is the elephant in the room of this application? Poor Dru. Poor, poor Dru.

Approved, although these romantic undertones are nowhere near as high-school-y as expected. :maud:

Oh you KNOW he loves elephant in the room jokes lol. And yes Dru and her hatred of puns will not appreciate this guy lol. 

They are a cheesy old married couple, which I shall use maliciously to groaning effects lol. 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Denim&Venom @Buck Testa @dragon4111 @Passion @Skylord Nexus

Important for those with teacher characters: a forgotten detail regarding the character I posted a couple of days ago (here for those who haven't seen her yet; I also forgot to mention anyone in the original post).

The main reason behind me describing Deedah as a mixologist of all things is that she runs a very secret staff-exclusive bar behind the coffee machine in Salem's staffroom. The machine slides aside to reveal the entrance if you order a large black coffee with a shot of ginger beer - it dispenses the drink before letting you through, however, since it's Deedah's favourite beverage and she enjoys being brought a cup with every staff member that arrives. This bar is intended as a place where teachers and other staff can mix and mingle freely - read: an opportunity for staff characters to interact more frequently and more casually than they would otherwise be able to do. Deedah can mix up pretty much any drink or combination of drinks possible (coffee, fruit juice, whiskey, olive oil, crude oil, dewdrops gathered from Stonehenge at dawn on the summer solstice), but for obvious reasons the bar's opening hours are restricted as follows:

Mon-Thur: Midday to 1pm (lunchtime), 5pm to midnight (after classes)

Fri: Midday to 1pm, 5pm to late

Sat: Midday to late

Sun: Midday to midnight

Additionally, alcohol and other intoxicants are only served from 8pm to midnight, except on Friday and Saturday nights when she serves them deep into the AM hours. Party responsibly, folks, and don't let anything slip to the students. :mlp_pout:

 

Credit to Dragon for suggesting the idea months ago and to Passion for checking with Jeric to make sure alcohol isn't a no-no in RPs (it's fine as long as it's not glorified).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Duality

Umm what did I suggest I forgot sorry

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, dragon4111 said:

@Duality

Umm what did I suggest I forgot sorry

Just about the same thing as I described, a bar where staff could meet up at the end of the day. :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Duality@Buck Testa@Passion

Hmm I'm thinking about something for Ghalan. All those injuries and scars he sustained would you think he would be in top shape or in a slightly more unhealthier shape?

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, dragon4111 said:

@Duality@Buck Testa@Passion

Hmm I'm thinking about something for Ghalan. All those injuries and scars he sustained would you think he would be in top shape or in a slightly more unhealthier shape?

I can't answer that myself, although you have mentioned that he walks with the aid of a staff. He could be anything from unfit, due to his injuries, levitating everywhere and not exercising much, to completely fit, due to maintaining his army-level discipline and undertaking therapy for his injuries. It really depends on the sort of light you want to cast him in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Duality

The staff is more for his high level of spells.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Duality said:

@Denim&Venom @Buck Testa @dragon4111 @Passion @Skylord Nexus

Important for those with teacher characters: a forgotten detail regarding the character I posted a couple of days ago (here for those who haven't seen her yet; I also forgot to mention anyone in the original post).

The main reason behind me describing Deedah as a mixologist of all things is that she runs a very secret staff-exclusive bar behind the coffee machine in Salem's staffroom. The machine slides aside to reveal the entrance if you order a large black coffee with a shot of ginger beer - it dispenses the drink before letting you through, however, since it's Deedah's favourite beverage and she enjoys being brought a cup with every staff member that arrives. This bar is intended as a place where teachers and other staff can mix and mingle freely - read: an opportunity for staff characters to interact more frequently and more casually than they would otherwise be able to do. Deedah can mix up pretty much any drink or combination of drinks possible (coffee, fruit juice, whiskey, olive oil, crude oil, dewdrops gathered from Stonehenge at dawn on the summer solstice), but for obvious reasons the bar's opening hours are restricted as follows:

Mon-Thur: Midday to 1pm (lunchtime), 5pm to midnight (after classes)

Fri: Midday to 1pm, 5pm to late

Sat: Midday to late

Sun: Midday to midnight

Additionally, alcohol and other intoxicants are only served from 8pm to midnight, except on Friday and Saturday nights when she serves them deep into the AM hours. Party responsibly, folks, and don't let anything slip to the students. :mlp_pout:

 

Credit to Dragon for suggesting the idea months ago and to Passion for checking with Jeric to make sure alcohol isn't a no-no in RPs (it's fine as long as it's not glorified).

Miko would be down for some coffee. But she doesnt drink. And she hates the rest of the staff. So she won't be stopping in very often. 

Mindy's powers? I thought we squared that. She can copy any material she touches. Just cant copy magical properties.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

59 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

Miko would be down for some coffee. But she doesnt drink. And she hates the rest of the staff. So she won't be stopping in very often. 

Mindy's powers? I thought we squared that. She can copy any material she touches. Just cant copy magical properties.

Speaking of Miko, ETA on when we're moving the class forward. Dru's waiting on ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Buck Testa said:

Speaking of Miko, ETA on when we're moving the class forward. Dru's waiting on ya.

Will be a while. Im not only AFK but out of state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

3 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Will be a while. Im not only AFK but out of state. 

Mind If I end the class then? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

Mind If I end the class then? 

I'd rather you didn't. There's a part two to Miko's lesson. Though I can condense it if I cut out her reaction to the events in the hallway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

27 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

I'd rather you didn't. There's a part two to Miko's lesson. Though I can condense it if I cut out her reaction to the events in the hallway. 

If you could that would be great. That way It'll free up both our characters (yours can go to a lunch or something while you're gone) and my character can go to other classes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.