Duality

OOC Salem University OOC (Open)

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Mindy's powers? I thought we squared that. She can copy any material she touches. Just cant copy magical properties.

Ah, okay. I recall myself proposing that but figured it would be too forward to automatically assume you agreed. :mlp_please:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

2 hours ago, Duality said:

Ah, okay. I recall myself proposing that but figured it would be too forward to automatically assume you agreed. :mlp_please:

I dont have much choice do I? Consensus was that she'd be too op. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Just now, Denim&Venom said:

I dont have much choice do I? Consensus was that she'd be too op. 

You do have a fair bit of choice, actually. I think she could be kept balanced with a limited mimicking of magical attributes, and it would add an extra layer of depth to the fact that she teaches a class on how magical residue concentrated into certain places can give rise to phenomena such as banes and ghosts, since presumably that magic residue would itself count as a mimickable magical attribute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Duality So your character has a split personality that is at least partially inhabiting a computer? That's the takeaway I got from the latest post anyway. It's a persona that's different than her that inhabits the same mind and is also connected to computers? Or at least can connect to computers? 

 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Buck Testa said:

@Duality So your character has a split personality that is at least partially inhabiting a computer? That's the takeaway I got from the latest post anyway. It's a persona that's different than her that inhabits the same mind and is also connected to computers? Or at least can connect to computers?

Essentially, yes. As far as anyone can tell so far (including myself; I'm having great fun building this subplot as inspiration hits), the other persona is just Duality's mental voice given independent consciousness, so her personality is 'split' in the most minimal sense possible (and by extension the most philosophically confusing sense possible). The mental voice's computer connection is basically one and the same with the ability of her mind as a whole to connect to computers/the school network via a sort of runemagic compatibility interface, but the exact question of whether it's the mental voice that connects to computers or her mind that connects to computers is a matter of profoundly blurred ontology. :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

On April 6, 2019 at 11:44 PM, Duality said:

You do have a fair bit of choice, actually. I think she could be kept balanced with a limited mimicking of magical attributes, and it would add an extra layer of depth to the fact that she teaches a class on how magical residue concentrated into certain places can give rise to phenomena such as banes and ghosts, since presumably that magic residue would itself count as a mimickable magical attribute.

I mean could she? Yes. Should she? Probably not. It's the same problem as her transforming into liquid water. She'll just end up a puddle.  

Assuming that magic resembles plasma as a state of matter, Mindy wouldn't retain a corporeal form. Even worse if she tries to copy a bane or ghost, magic gone haywire, most likely tied to the former users memories and emotions. 

So not the best idea for her. And upon further thought, her copying enchantment resistant metals might not be so OP, depending upon what we classify as a "spell". 

For example, Ghalan's gravity powers wouldn't work on Mindy. He would not be able to target her w/ telekinesis. But he could cast a spell to lift a bolder and drop it on her. An enchantment wouldn't stop the bolder from falling, cause it's just a bolder, not a suddenly magical bolder.

So for spells, are the effects magical in nature or do they just kickstart non-magical things via magic? Is a pyromancers fire magical in nature, or are they just using magic to start normal fires? 

Cause if it's the latter, then Mindy might be afforded that much protection after all. Tungston is tough but not indestructible. 

 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

15 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

I mean could she? Yes. Should she? Probably not. It's the same problem as her transforming into liquid water. She'll just end up a puddle.  

Assuming that magic resembles plasma as a state of matter, Mindy wouldn't retain a corporeal form. Even worse if she tries to copy a bane or ghost, magic gone haywire, most likely tied to the former users memories and emotions. 

That makes sense. Magic's even more ethereal than plasma, so the point is twice as pointy.

15 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

And upon further thought, her copying enchantment resistant metals might not be so OP, depending upon what we classify as a "spell". 

For example, Ghalan's gravity powers wouldn't work on Mindy. He would not be able to target her w/ telekinesis. But he could cast a spell to lift a bolder and drop it on her. An enchantment wouldn't stop the bolder from falling, cause it's just a bolder, not a suddenly magical bolder.

So for spells, are the effects magical in nature or do they just kickstart non-magical things via magic? Is a pyromancers fire magical in nature, or are they just using magic to start normal fires? 

Cause if it's the latter, then Mindy might be afforded that much protection after all. Tungston is tough but not indestructible.

Usually the effects of spells just involve kickstarting non-magical things using magical energy, but the effects of spells can be magical in nature too if the mage casting it wants additional control over the effects enough to justify the extra concentration/energy expenditure. Enchantments are just set-in-stone-style spells, though, so whatever spells can do enchantments can do too with a sufficient energy source. If Ghalan can throw a non-magical rock at Mindie with a spell, she can potentially mimic an enchantment that would make it ricochet off her if given an energy source. I do see your point there, however - it's hard to build decent sustainable energy sources into enchantments to let them counter spells properly, especially if the idea is for the energy source to somehow be mimicked along with the rest of the spell. Let her powers work thusly, then, and my apologies for such a lengthy and impassioned obstruction. :mlp_please:

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Passion

Life must be getting to you aye?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On April 9, 2019 at 3:50 AM, Duality said:

That makes sense. Magic's even more ethereal than plasma, so the point is twice as pointy.

Usually the effects of spells just involve kickstarting non-magical things using magical energy, but the effects of spells can be magical in nature too if the mage casting it wants additional control over the effects enough to justify the extra concentration/energy expenditure. Enchantments are just set-in-stone-style spells, though, so whatever spells can do enchantments can do too with a sufficient energy source. If Ghalan can throw a non-magical rock at Mindie with a spell, she can potentially mimic an enchantment that would make it ricochet off her if given an energy source. I do see your point there, however - it's hard to build decent sustainable energy sources into enchantments to let them counter spells properly, especially if the idea is for the energy source to somehow be mimicked along with the rest of the spell. Let her powers work thusly, then, and my apologies for such a lengthy and impassioned obstruction. :mlp_please:

I mean I understand your concerns. I'm just thinking the anti-magic runes across the school and enchanted tungston shards aren't that tough. I mean they didn't stop Dru from destroying the gym, and that place was made to take a few hits. 

I'm guessing why the school's walls are so effective is that they surround the magic user and channel the spell away before it does anything. All Mindy has is the ability to resist magic and being targeted by it, but not necessarily cancel a spell or prevent it's effects. Unless whatever she copies has specific elemental enchantments, she'll still have to endure whatever comes her way.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Denim&Venom I do believe it's time to show the schools corporal punishment policy lol. Dru's askin for it hardcore rn lol.

@Duality I am looking forward to whatever your scanner is gonna say lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Buck Testa  I'm really tempted to have Miko destroy most of your post by using her magic to silence Dru before she even says anything. See how she reacts then. 

"I can't talk on my phone, so now you don't get to talk at all." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

5 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

@Buck Testa  I'm really tempted to have Miko destroy most of your post by using her magic to silence Dru before she even says anything. See how she reacts then. 

"I can't talk on my phone, so now you don't get to talk at all." 

Eh I was thinking something more direct. Dru right now is looking for a reason to respect your character, and so far she hasn't been getting it. Your character is a fighter and has those sound spells right? Put Dru in her place with some moves and diffuse the situation. Or let the words get to the character and full on attack, which will cause all KINDS of Hoopla. Either way itll be fun to RP.

Edited by Buck Testa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dragon4111 said:

@Duality@Buck Testa@Denim&Venom

I just had a thought either or not Ghalan should carry a tranq pistol.

Why would he be carrying a tranquilizer? That makes no sense he's a Janitor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Buck Testa

I've also been hinting at something as well. that quote about who watches the watchmen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dragon4111 said:

@Buck Testa

I've also been hinting at something as well. that quote about who watches the watchmen?

It will help if you stop hinting and explain what You're taking about. That way we can better figure out if it fits or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Buck Testa

Alright currently he's working with the government to keep an eye on the school. Because who's better at watching magical than someone with magic?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, dragon4111 said:

@Buck Testa

Alright currently he's working with the government to keep an eye on the school. Because who's better at watching magical than someone with magic?

You'd think it'd actually be multiple governments considering the international scale of the school. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Denim&Venom

Hmm true but Ghalan's power is far more useful in restraint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dragon4111 said:

@Denim&Venom

Hmm true but Ghalan's power is far more useful in restraint.

...what? What does that have to do with the school being International?

@Denim&Venom Oh and you definitely have permission to connect with my character. Shes in point blank range. The Flour gives her a layer of protection right now but I'm sure sound could handle that.

Edited by Buck Testa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Buck Testa@Denim&Venom

See I think there are others but they are in the background doing their own thing. each in a seat of power or rather teaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

...what? What does that have to do with the school being International?

@Denim&Venom Oh and you definitely have permission to connect with my character. Shes in point blank range. The Flour gives her a layer of protection right now but I'm sure sound could handle that.

If this was student Miko, Dru would've had the taste backhanded her mouth and bent in half over the desk via throttling about halfway through that post for even entertaining the thought of telling her what to do. 

But this is Miko sensei, doctor of philosophy, army veteran, martial arts master and graduate of all of Salem's prior BS. She's seen it all. Beaten and been beaten by better. She has no reason to sink down to the level of a literal temperamental child, let alone take a pot shot at one. No, this isn't the first time someone has angrily rejected Miko's teaching and it won't be the last. She know's how to handle this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

2 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

If this was student Miko, Dru would've had the taste backhanded her mouth and bent in half over the desk via throttling about halfway through that post for even entertaining the thought of telling her what to do. 

But this is Miko sensei, doctor of philosophy, army veteran, martial arts master and graduate of all of Salem's prior BS. She's seen it all. Beaten and been beaten by better. She has no reason to sink down to the level of a literal temperamental child, let alone take a pot shot at one. No, this isn't the first time someone has angrily rejected Miko's teaching and it won't be the last. She know's how to handle this. 

Lets not interrupt the flow of the post (cause I have audience reactions and such that'd need to be retconned), but you're free to do pretty much whatever you like after the fact. And yes Dru is a literal egotistical tempermental magically bipolar little munchkin. One of the things she is going to need is someone who can discipline her and teach her how to respect people. For most of her life she's been the biggest fish in her little mafia pond. Her powers and her status as the Don's adopted granddaughter has put her in a position where she felt untouchable. Salem U is shaking that up and she's trying to assert her dominance in anyway her undeveloped mind knows how. She's SMART sure, a lot of brats can be smart, but that doesn't mean she's matured enough to know how to use that intelligence. 

One of the ongoing themes I have for Dru is she is on the crossroads of either becoming a force for great destruction or benefit. There are people on either side of that want to pull her in one direction or another. One thing that will help her towards the side of good is actual structure and discipline. I think we could develop something between the characters where they go from Dru being at her throat to her actually looking up to her and looking for her advice. We'll need to rp to get to that point though if you want too. Right now were in that early stage where she is raging against any authority that doesn't treat her like she's used too being treated. 

Oh and in case this wasn't clear. DRU's tantrum =/= my opinion. 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites