Duality

OOC Salem University OOC (Open)

Recommended Posts

@Buck Testa

Yes well dealing with Miko isn't fun. Ghalan would prefer to deal with Ira or Duality.

  • I see 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet he pretty much issued a death threat to Ley even though, if you look back at everything that transpired, all she did was being a little bit of an unruly teenager and she's gotten behind his skin with her words. Yeah I think it's too late for that at least in Ley's case.

She's quite convinced now that University is a horrible idea as its renown is completely misplaced seeing how it allows itself to hire psychopaths mad with power, even more than herself.

@Duality

I will be having Ley submit an official complaint connected with demand of putting her onto accellerated learning program adjusted to her needs as well as issuing an equivalent of restraining order for Ghalan towards her, necessary magical effects and restrictions to be discussed in this regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Duality

Thought of introducing a change to Miko's backstory. But first, how does the school find emerging magic users and what do they do if they reject offers to attend? 

And second, I know it's been made clear that pelijae aren't allowed to have superhuman physical traits. But what if they were allowed to surpass them in other ways? Like say, exceeding long life spans. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

11 hours ago, dragon4111 said:

Alright currently he's working with the government to keep an eye on the school. Because who's better at watching magical than someone with magic?

The school already reports to a bunch of paranoid governments. Regular meetings and written updates are far more civilised ways for essentially bureaucratic institutions to keep an eye on each other, and less fallible as well. What sort of government would have taken the risk of trying to secretly infiltrate an organisation with literally supernatural power and awareness?

12 minutes ago, Passion said:

Yet he pretty much issued a death threat to Ley even though, if you look back at everything that transpired, all she did was being a little bit of an unruly teenager and she's gotten behind his skin with her words. Yeah I think it's too late for that at least in Ley's case.

She's quite convinced now that University is a horrible idea as its renown is completely misplaced seeing how it allows itself to hire psychopaths mad with power, even more than herself.

@Duality

I will be having Ley submit an official complaint connected with demand of putting her onto accellerated learning program adjusted to her needs as well as issuing an equivalent of restraining order for Ghalan towards her, necessary magical effects and restrictions to be discussed in this regard.

A bracelet-style identification forcefield should do the job with regards keeping specified janitors at a specified distance from a specified half-daemon. As for the accelerated learning, that might prove a bit trickier to work out with the school, due to certain classes being made mandatory for purposes other than direct magical advancement. The University gets a rather high number of special snowflakes who think they're too good for society, hence the existence of Miko with her curriculum nearly tailor-made to expel such students from their comfort zone.

17 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

@Duality

Thought of introducing a change to Miko's backstory. But first, how does the school find emerging magic users and what do they do if they reject offers to attend? 

And second, I know it's been made clear that pelijae aren't allowed to have superhuman physical traits. But what if they were allowed to surpass them in other ways? Like say, exceeding long life spans. 

The school keeps careful correspondence with a worldwide distribution of mages and governing bodies, so it's primarily a matter of keeping ears and eyes open for potential evidence of a previously unnoticed magic user. As for what they do if their offers are rejected, the school isn't anything close to an enforcer of education, so they usually don't do anything besides keep eyes and ears trained in the general direction of whoever turns down their invitations. Most countries 'actively prefer' for the mages among their citizens to be properly educated, though, and most civilian mages themselves want to learn how to control their powers so they don't accidentally set someone on fire or something.

'Exceedingly long lifespans' counts as a superhuman physical trait, in that it's both well beyond what humans can do and a trait that relates to the workings of one's body. Mages on the other hand are often quite long-lived, however, despite the abnormal psychological deterioration that tends to accompany powerful magic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Duality@Passion

Who says he's mad with power?  and fine I'll freaking edit the post. and edited

and why who says he's being secretive about it. I was going to have it that Duality knows about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Duality said:

The University gets a rather high number of special snowflakes who think they're too good for society, hence the existence of Miko with her curriculum nearly tailor-made to expel such students from their comfort zone.

@Denim&Venom @Duality

I'd like you both to know that you're both absolute scoundrels :D

But yes, I said I will be issuing such request, not that it will work out.

@dragon4111

Ley does, of course. It's not like I have opinions about characters I know are fictional and serve nothing but our entertainment.

I am refering to things only based on how Ley perceives them (or Ira, depending which one of them the situation relates to).

Also, I'd rather you just roll with how you developed the situation at this point. Your retconning means I need to retcon too. Then my suggestion in OOC here becomes invalid as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Passion

I edited the post but I'm just done with dealing with Ley.

@Passion

I feel like I caused undue drama here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well aight... I mean as long as you're not taking it personally I'm fine with it. I was stating on every step that Ley is not going to play nice with people.

Sure, she thinks she can do whatever, but as Duality already said a moment ago she's going to discover at least once that she won't be able to influence just about everything in here and I guess will be forced to attend Miko's class after all. Although she will have a word or two to say about this decision :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Passion

I'm not taking it personally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dragon4111 said:

@Duality@Passion

Who says he's mad with power?  and fine I'll edit the post. and edited

and why who says he's being secretive about it. I was going to have it that Duality knows about it.

As long as both Dualities know about it I don't have an objection to it. :mlp_toldya:

Still, I am quite interested in the nature of the government he's working for. Is it America's, one of Europe's, or is it from an Asian country or some such area?

1 hour ago, dragon4111 said:

@Passion

I edited the post but I'm just done with dealing with Ley.

@Passion

I feel like I caused undue drama here.

IC drama is good drama, as long as it doesn't bleed out into OOC drama. A long-held opinion of mine is that smashing toys into each other makes for a satisfying play session, as long as nobody gets upset that their toy got smashed. :orly:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 hour ago, Duality said:

 

'Exceedingly long lifespans' counts as a superhuman physical trait, in that it's both well beyond what humans can do and a trait that relates to the workings of one's body. Mages on the other hand are often quite long-lived, however, despite the abnormal psychological deterioration that tends to accompany powerful magic

But not exactly an unfair trait, as demonstrated by the example of elves in D&D. I can imagine several races of pelijae living far beyond the human range and some living shorter ones. 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

Just now, Denim&Venom said:

But not exactly an unfair trait, as demonstrated by the example of elves in D&D. I can imagine several races of pelijae living far beyond the human range and some living shorter ones. 

Galapagos tortoise Pelajae? I can see that working. Most animals have much shorter lifespans than humans, though, so it can't be too race-dependent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

In all honesty I have nothing against extended lifespans of certain subspecies provided it is not a tool to throttle one's character by going "I have 100 years more experience than you do so I am stronger" route.

  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

(edited)
Just now, Passion said:

In all honesty I have nothing against extended lifespans of certain subspecies provided it is not a tool to throttle one's character by going "I have 100 years more experience than you do so I am stronger" route.

This echoes my thoughts exactly. Plenty of interesting worldbuilding to be had in such a concept, especially in terms of Pelajae culture dynamics, but the omnipresent loom of potential Sue-ness tends to ruin my initial reactions to such ideas. :mlp_lie:

Edited by Duality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

I second that. I could totally see some Peligae subraces living longer than humans, while others live shorter than humans. It wouldn't translate to that much difference in gameplay cause magic is a relatively recent development anyway. 

  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Duality said:

Galapagos tortoise Pelajae? I can see that working. Most animals have much shorter lifespans than humans, though, so it can't be too race-dependent.

Most animals are also proportionately stronger and faster than humans. We already have a page or two on how that went down. 

10 hours ago, Duality said:

This echoes my thoughts exactly. Plenty of interesting worldbuilding to be had in such a concept, especially in terms of Pelajae culture dynamics, but the omnipresent loom of potential Sue-ness tends to ruin my initial reactions to such ideas. :mlp_lie:

And how would a long life span be considered OP? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

11 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

And how would a long life span be considered OP? 

IF magic were around for thousands of years for example, someone could make a character who's a 2000 year old Demigod ninetailed fox who laid out the foundations of magic and is super duper cool you guys and he's super powerful and he knows all the ancient spells and... 

You get the idea. However because Magic is such a recent development, being really old would actually be a handicap for magic not a boon, which is why I'm all for it. Think about how technology works with generational gaps. The oldest among us almost unanimously swear off new tech cause they don't understand it. Cannot tell you how many people I talk to at work on a daily basis who are old and don't have an email or a smartphone to text. They have a landline and that's all they are comfortable with. An old person is usually very set in their ways and can't really understand new things, so trying to wrap their head around this newfangled magic thingamabob would just frustrate an elderly person more than anything else. However Younger people who grew UP with the technology (or magic) would be much more savvy with it and pick up on the new developments a lot faster. 

  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Passion@Duality

Yesterday I wasn't in much of a good place. So it affected how I rped and I apologize for that.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ain't considering it any kind of incident. 'twas fine, 'twas all in RP. Truth to be told, unloading emotions through RP on a fictional character is still better than doing it in reality on someone else on yourself.

  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

3 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Most animals are also proportionately stronger and faster than humans. We already have a page or two on how that went down. 

Indeed; that's what I'm saying. The low race-dependence of proportionately enhanced physical traits should extend to lifespan just as much as strength and speed, albeit for slightly different out-of-universe reasons (the former would nerf certain races of Pelajae too far since they'd all die at 20 or something, and the latter would boost certain races too high since seven-feet-tall bulked-up folks have no need for any additional speed/strength modifiers augmenting their proportionate ones). However, with physical size being moderately correlated with race, there are still Pelajae races equipped with higher-than-average speed/strength; something similar can be done for lifespan. :proud:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 hour ago, dragon4111 said:

@Passion@Duality

Yesterday I wasn't in much of a good place. So it affected how I rped and I apologize for that.

What Passion said. Nothing serious resulted except in terms of fictional characters. :P

Are you feeling okay today, though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

@Duality @dragon4111 @Denim&Venom A thing to note: Sahalia and Roshni (my teacher characters) sent out a signal in their post to all the teachers that they had arrived from their trip. Duality at the very least is friendly with them though I'll leave it up to the other teachers to how they want to have their relationship with those two. Generally speaking they are a nice, if a bit cheesy, couple and are generally very charismatic and high spirited. 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Buck Testa said:

@Duality @dragon4111 @Denim&Venom A thing to note: Sahalia and Roshni (my teacher characters) sent out a signal in their post to all the teachers that they had arrived from their trip. Duality at the very least is friendly with them though I'll leave it up to the other teachers to how they want to have their relationship with those two. Generally speaking they are a nice, if a bit cheesy, couple and are generally very charismatic and high spirited. 

Never fear. I'm typing up a post incorporating that signal as we speak. :mlp_proud:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.