Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

40 minutes ago, Passion said:

KS made a request to have his account deleted and we had nothing else to do but to honor it.

Ah, I see. At least Cynthia finished things up in a room by herself, so her transition out of the RP shouldn't be too glaring. Hopefully things aren't going poorly for Key himself.

Just now, dragon4111 said:

@Duality

He does care about all of them but maybe this is the straw that breaks the camel's back.I mean three students walking out of your class?

I wouldn't put it past her to have had more than three students walking out in the past. If anything she'd have done even worse stunts in previous years than driving a tank through the wall, since she wouldn't have known staff boundaries as well when she joined the University as a teacher initially.

14 minutes ago, dragon4111 said:

@Duality

the spaghetti room?

She did that while she was still a student, but yes. In her time as teacher, she's probably done way worse things than just driving a tank through the wall, so Ghalan doesn't really have a reason to try and take up teaching to spare her students.

28 minutes ago, dragon4111 said:

@Duality

Seriously buddy? the tank the wall, the dualing ring not having the runes activated? among probably whatever else she has done?

You're getting into that argumentative thing again. You've been doing that off and on again for a few pages in ooc now. It's just a game. You've apologized for it a couple times now but you really should start employing some anger management tactics. Whatever happens here isnt worth getting worked up over.

Characters arguing and storming out of class are roleplaying scenarios. I'm not literally yelling at @Denim&Venom 's character, this is just how their personalities are clashing. I've even brought up avenues for character development in the future. Ways for our characters to bond and get along down the line. It's a roleplaying game. We're playing roles.

Just like how @Passion 's Ley leaning into your character for acting strangely and following her around is just roleplaying. These aren't actual conflicts, they're plot points.

but I keep getting the read that you're taking things personally. @Duality is just saying that it wouldn't make sense for a Janitor to immediately take a formal teaching position. Which I don't think is unreasonable to say. Certainly not to replace another teacher character. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
6 hours ago, dragon4111 said:

@Buck Testa

Hmm maybe actually one of Ghalan's spells is a wormhole.

Unfortunately that's another no-go, since Ley is more into portal magic and even she isn't anywhere near capable of generating actual two-way-traversable portals, except technically while being quasi-possessed like when she vanished halfway across campus recently. Ghalan already has quite a bit of power as well, so a spell as powerful as that is somewhat redundant.

Edited by Duality

Need you guys to hold out until weekend for me. Stress and hectic situation at work is getting to me and posts are a no-go. Starting my holiday leave Friday tho so will be able to catch a breath.

• Brohoof 1

@Duality

I guess while we're waiting, I should iron out Miko's backstory more and run a few things by you. 

First I had the idea that the Kitsune are a long lived species and that their lifespan can be measured by how many tails they have, each tail signifying physical, mental and spiritual development in life (essentially they can level up). And each tail equals double the kitsune's lifespan and magical potential. Most Kitsune mages would have more than one tail. 

Though each additional tail does become magnitudes more difficult to earn, eight being the highest confirmed, and there only being fewer than a dozen Kitsune throughout history to have accomplished this, most succumbing to life's trails in their attempts to reach such enlightenment. 

And no, Miko is not one of those kits. She'd be a three tail, potentially living up to 400 years. Also meaning that not only is she Salem alumni, but potentially, graduate of the first class. 

11 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

@Duality

I guess while we're waiting, I should iron out Miko's backstory more and run a few things by you. 

First I had the idea that the Kitsune are a long lived species and that their lifespan can be measured by how many tails they have, each tail signifying physical, mental and spiritual development in life (essentially they can level up). And each tail equals double the kitsune's lifespan and magical potential. Most Kitsune mages would have more than one tail. 

Though each additional tail does become magnitudes more difficult to earn, eight being the highest confirmed, and there only being fewer than a dozen Kitsune throughout history to have accomplished this, most succumbing to life's trails in their attempts to reach such enlightenment. 

And no, Miko is not one of those kits. She'd be a three tail, potentially living up to 400 years. Also meaning that not only is she Salem alumni, but potentially, graduate of the first class. 

Here's my two cents on this. 

Magic is a relatively new. So when would Kitsune have developed an evolutionary trait related to magic? Not only that but magic is one in a million between both Human and Pelijae, so the odds of a specific TYPE of Pelijae all having a similar development for magic all at the same time is out there. I don't really have issues with the age thing, but the magic thing seems a bit outside of the lore so far. 

Edited by Buck Testa

9 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

Here's my two cents on this. 

Magic is a relatively new. So when would Kitsune have developed an evolutionary trait related to magic? Not only that but magic is one in a million between both Human and Pelijae, so the odds of a specific TYPE of Pelijae all having a similar development for magic all at the same time is out there. I don't really have issues with the age thing, but the magic thing seems a bit outside of the lore so far. 

The discovery and confirmation of magic is new. But magic sound like it's been around in some form since the dawn of time. We discovered electricity 300 years ago. Doesn't mean it didn't exist prior. 

See, here's what I'm thinking. Magic users are one in a million. But perhaps magic itself is in everyone and everything to a degree and only those with the right combination of circumstances, those with that 'x' factor, no pun intended, get powers. Doesn't mean it hasn't always been there in nature.

I had the idea that there are degrees of magic.  From low to the point of negligible, like most life on earth,  to high enough to manifest powers and cast spells, that one in a million. And along that scale there would be those in the middle that might not manifest power, but could interact with magic, like use scrolls and artifacts or detect auras. With that, there would also be races where magic is more common among the populace than most. Yes, there are more magical humans than there are some races of pelijae. But proportionately? Perhaps there are races where magic and powers tend to be more common and for different species that could manifest in different ways. Kitsune and their lifespans. Unicorns and manipulation of raw magic energy. Dragons eating rocks and breathing fire. 

Besides, at least I'm giving a reason for the Kitsune to be near immortal. I mean what have Elves and Vulcans done to earn their extended youth and vigor? 

@Denim&Venom Even if I were to grant that magic were around since the dawn of time I'm still flat out against a specific race being all inherently magical. I expressly said I was okay with lifespan variance cause it wouldn't have a material impact on the game. Your characters ENTIRE RACE being inherently more magical and fundamentally just better than every other race WOULD have a material impact on the game. It's the same issue as trying to make them 20 times stronger than humans and stuff like that, You're reaching too far. 

Longevity doesn't really need to be magical. There are types of creatures around right now that live for very long times, much longer than humans. Most of them aquatic based interestingly enough.

8 minutes ago, Buck Testa said:

@Denim&Venom Even if I were to grant that magic were around since the dawn of time I'm still flat out against a specific race being all inherently magical. I expressly said I was okay with lifespan variance cause it wouldn't have a material impact on the game. Your characters ENTIRE RACE being inherently more magical and fundamentally just better than every other race WOULD have a material impact on the game. It's the same issue as trying to make them 20 times stronger than humans and stuff like that, You're reaching too far. 

Longevity doesn't really need to be magical. There are types of creatures around right now that live for very long times, much longer than humans. Most of them aquatic based interestingly enough.

It's not really impacting the game if Miko is the only fox involved. And it's not just Kitsune. Multiple races can be inherently magical. Doesn't mean all of them get magical powers. Just that it's a bit more common. And fundamentally better in what way? It's been made clear that all pelijae have been nerfed to human levels physically. Heck, there's still more humans with powers then there are whole races with inherent magic. And even with inherent magic, there's still only a few with actual powers. 

The only thing that sets Miko apart from the cast in terms of ability is that she can theoretically live for millennia. Outside of that, she's just as vulnerable to injury, as evidenced by her W/L record.  Just as powerful at magic as the staff, if not less so. Still stuck at the same lousy teaching job as everyone else. 

1 hour ago, Denim&Venom said:

And fundamentally better in what way? 

A biological trait that doubles your magical potential with each tail grown comes to mind. 

Now if the tails were a way to indicate age that could be interesting. Maybe as they get older they grow additional tails like a tree grows rings as it ages. It would be purely cosmetic and an interesting conversation/ rp starter. 

I'm not even opposed to using the tails as your magic focus like someone else would use hands. 

However in terms of magical abilities, if they are for your character specifically I'm for it. If it's for your ENTIRE RACE I'm not. Otherwise well run into the Dragonball issue where it wouldn't make sense to be anyone but Saiyans.

Personal powerset yay

Racial magical abilities nay. Not for humans, not for any type of Pelijae. 

At least IMO. Ultimately DMs decision.

Edited by Buck Testa
  • Brohoof 1

14 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

@Duality

You say that each tail signifies physical, mental, and spiritual 'level-upping', but also that the level-up doubles their lifespan and magical potential. That implies that they can be born effectively mundane and become an immortal mage just by doing bench-presses and pondering the mysteries of the universe, which runs counter to the general premise in the RP that magic is a born ability. Also, Miko suddenly having three tails plus being a graduate of the first-ever classes run in Salem seems like a glaring retcon, given that none of this has been mentioned IC even in terms like 'she hit her head on the doorway' for Mindie's height (Miko's application image only showed one tail, in particular). Not to mention that she hardly even seems like the once-enlightened type, let alone twice enlightened to have earned those tails.

2 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

The discovery and confirmation of magic is new. But magic sound like it's been around in some form since the dawn of time. We discovered electricity 300 years ago. Doesn't mean it didn't exist prior. 

See, here's what I'm thinking. Magic users are one in a million. But perhaps magic itself is in everyone and everything to a degree and only those with the right combination of circumstances, those with that 'x' factor, no pun intended, get powers. Doesn't mean it hasn't always been there in nature.

I had the idea that there are degrees of magic.  From low to the point of negligible, like most life on earth,  to high enough to manifest powers and cast spells, that one in a million. And along that scale there would be those in the middle that might not manifest power, but could interact with magic, like use scrolls and artifacts or detect auras. With that, there would also be races where magic is more common among the populace than most. Yes, there are more magical humans than there are some races of pelijae. But proportionately? Perhaps there are races where magic and powers tend to be more common and for different species that could manifest in different ways. Kitsune and their lifespans. Unicorns and manipulation of raw magic energy. Dragons eating rocks and breathing fire. 

Everything not in italics is perfectly reasonable from my perspective, but I'm not on board with what's in italics. Why should certain races have inherent predisposition to get magic? Why would the probability curve of magical ability be shoved to the right for them? How do they get levels of doubled magic just by 'enlightening' themselves? Why foxes of all Pelajae? On that note, neither unicorns or dragons have actually been implied to exist in this universe (they're extreme high fantasy material), so everything being proposed exclusively relates to kitsunes so far.

The whole point of the idea of people being randomly born with magic is that magic doesn't discriminate - it gives all races a common factor whereby they can unite in a single University. Different races having unique forms of magic is fine and dandy, but I strongly dislike the idea of certain races getting more magic and I'm flatly against the level-up ability.

2 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Besides, at least I'm giving a reason for the Kitsune to be near immortal. I mean what have Elves and Vulcans done to earn their extended youth and vigor? 

Elves and Vulcans aren't part of this RP either. Long-lived races are one thing, especially subject to realistic ageing mindsets like what Buck described earlier, but magically near-immortal races are a very different thing when they can spend that immortality on getting even more immortality and magic and enlightenment and derriere appendages. How old are you thinking Miko would be, and how would that actually affect things IC? She's clearly not old at heart, and she doesn't appear to have used her life to learn anything that normal young adults couldn't figure out themselves.

@Buck Testa @Duality @dragon4111 

No unicorns and dragons in an RP about magic. Odd choice. Thought I mentioned both a few times here and no objections any of those times. But whatever. 

Yes I am aware vulcans and elves don't exist. It was an example. 

I knew I was forgetting something about the tails. The tails can be visible, but most kits can hide them. Only the most arrogant and haughty show them off as a sign of status, but most keep them under the guise of one tail. Doesn't stop these tails being detected within auras. 

I was gonna have it that the tails would be earned through enduring life's challenges and becoming stronger as a person for it, rather than just working out and studying. But fine, whatever. I'll cut my losses and take the long life span. As deep lore as that is, it ultimatley contributes nothing to the story. 

And why no mention of Miko being in the first class? Well if you look at the RP, there never was any reason to. When would it have been relevant? Few have had their pasts elaborated on. Thought now would be a good time since Miko hasn't had her past cannonized yet.

Though I see little point if the long lifespan wasn't approved of. I even had ideas on how Miko's history and by extension, that of the school, could be elaborated upon by flashbacks. 

How old is she really? Well the idea is late 40s, early 50s. Doesn't sound like a whole lot but for someone who handles things through physicallity rather than magic, that's pretty old. Most bodies begin to break down in their late 30s. Most of the students would probably out power and outpace her if she still wasn't in her prime. 

And Miko not being enlightened? Just because she is doesn't mean she's obligated to act such. 

Let's just say she falls under the crouching dumbass, hidden badass trope. 

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

No unicorns and dragons in an RP about magic. Odd choice. Thought I mentioned both a few times here and no objections any of those times. But whatever

This RPs magic system is different than something like MLP. A characters race is not a determining factor on if they have powers or not. It's more like Star Wars, any alien in the cosmos could have the force, no one species has a monopoly on it. 

Now we DO have multiple realities. I'm fairly certain the Demons in that one realm are inherently magical ( @Duality @Passion you two would have the answer to that.) But I'd say those would be outside the Human/Pelijae thing. However as far as Humans / Pelijae go, no one race is inherently magical. It's the one in a million rule. 

I am totally fine with the MECHANICS of what you are talking about. Maybe that's how your magic works. My objection is that it extends to your characters entire race as baseline abilities. If you want to do the tail thing I'm all for it, just as long as it's your characters magic and not from being a specific race. Have the tails you earn and develop as you train your magic, but that is something only for your character cause she is one of the one in a million. 

• Brohoof 1