Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

On 5/10/2019 at 6:43 AM, Denim&Venom said:

So I guess either the Dean gets reconned into being a principal/ vice principal or we come up with a new authority figure to fill the role. Cause who else is Prof. Angel gonna see? 

I was tossing up retconning Duality to be a vice principal for a similar reason already. Lilith vanishing to the wind left a definite hole in the PC up-top staff, and this is as good a point as any to insert the idea. It should fit in reasonably smoothly as a retcon since it's fairly firm implicit canon that she doesn't put much emphasis on her status, even with regards her deanship. In her intro speech she introduced herself only as the dean of hydromancy, but she was only really speaking on behalf of her department at that point since Lilith did a solo speech representing the higher echelons of school staff. I'm not sure whether Ley or Dru would still be in the dark about her VP status or would have been able to infer it from somewhere, though. Any thoughts, @Buck Testa?

On 5/10/2019 at 8:26 AM, reader8363 said:

I'm going to have to take Sorxir out of the rp, I just can't play her that well

Sure thing; I'll take her off the character list. You're still okay playing Shadow and Rose, right?

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Duality said:

I was tossing up retconning Duality to be a vice principal for a similar reason already. Lilith vanishing to the wind left a definite hole in the PC up-top staff, and this is as good a point as any to insert the idea. It should fit in reasonably smoothly as a retcon since it's fairly firm implicit canon that she doesn't put much emphasis on her status, even with regards her deanship. In her intro speech she introduced herself only as the dean of hydromancy, but she was only really speaking on behalf of her department at that point since Lilith did a solo speech representing the higher echelons of school staff. I'm not sure whether Ley or Dru would still be in the dark about her VP status or would have been able to infer it from somewhere, though. Any thoughts, @Buck Testa

Heck maybe She's temporary VP. I mean how many magic users are both at the university AND qualified for positions like that? 

I could see Sahalia holding more important positions as well. 

• Brohoof 1

Sorry, I haven't posted in ages, my end of year exams have started and I need to do good in then to get into Uni. At first, I was going to try and get posts in my free time, but I've been so drained I've lacked the motivation to. Due to this, I will temporarily be leaving the RP until my exams are over, fortunately, I wasn't having any interactions with anyone at the time, so feel free to assume Lucius is lurking around the school, setting himself up in the meantime.

• Brohoof 1

@Denim&Venom 

For some reason the forum dematerialised the part of Duality's notification that had the Angelscape-relevant stuff in it and turned half my post into a hyperlink every time I tried to post it. The only thing that stopped me from having that happen every time I re-edited it was removing Angelscape's name, which is decidedly suspicious. Fortunately, I have thwarted your hax by using code blocks. :okiedokieloki:

21 hours ago, dragon4111 said:

@Duality

I'm thinking of maybe hydromancers can turn water pressure up turning them into like blades. it's actually feasible.

Magically pressurising water so that it can cut through things? That's reasonable, but would Ghalan be able to pull it off? His bio implies he pretty much only has enough hydromancy power to boost his steam-powered car and he'd be able to cut through things with gravity anyway.

@Duality

Umm not boost more like refill the water. remember it runs on steam.Aye he can do it it just requires more mana for him to pull it off. For instance in dnd you can wear heavy armor if you have the strength for it but you can't truly benefit from it if you aren't proficient in it.

Just now, dragon4111 said:

@Duality

Umm not boost more like refill the water. remember it runs on steam.Aye he can do it it just requires more mana for him to pull it off. For instance in dnd you can wear heavy armor if you have the strength for it but you can't truly benefit from it if you aren't proficient in it.

Having enough water magic to refill the water is even less water magic than it would take to boost it - why would he ever push himself to try and cut through things with water if he could do the same with gravity for far less energy cost? That, and a power that involves carefully compressing water into blades sounds like it would require skill far more than it would require strength. No amount of raw power can make up for a lack of ability when it comes to precision control.

(edited)
On 5/21/2019 at 10:34 PM, dragon4111 said:

@Duality

Umm heh do you know how a steam car works my friend?

Also while yes he could do that he mostly uses it to clean up the floors the water I mean.

Steam cars heat up water into steam then use the resultant increase in internal pressure to move a piston to move the car. With water magic you could directly heat up the water into steam without consuming as much fuel, you could forcibly expand the steam even more than the normal boiling-induced expansion, or you could push the water/steam through the engine at an accelerated rate, any of which would boost the car in some respect. Are you wanting him to be able to use water blades or is his ability to use water magic low enough that he can only clean floors and refill his car? If he was able to use water blades he'd likely be able to boost his car.

Edited by Duality

@Duality 

So how do we want Angel and VP's discussion to go? I imagine there's proably archived holo footage that can be played of Miko's tenure as a student, smoothly transitioning into any flashback RP antics anypony would like to partake in.

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

@Duality 

So how do we want Angel and VP's discussion to go? I imagine there's proably archived holo footage that can be played of Miko's tenure as a student, smoothly transitioning into any flashback RP antics anypony would like to partake in.

Sure, if that's how you want to play it. I'm just going with the story-flow. :P

On June 2, 2019 at 9:15 PM, Duality said:

@Denim&Venom

How're things looking on your end for a post? Dru and Duality are both hanging on your words at the moment. :P

Actually thinking of tweaking Miko's backstory. Would it be an issue if she was even older and had a very successful career before being roped into Salem?

20 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Actually thinking of tweaking Miko's backstory. Would it be an issue if she was even older and had a very successful career before being roped into Salem?

What of her canonical student antics, then? If she had a successful career it seems that she'd have directly become a teacher, or at least had enough of a taste of responsibility not to be such a hoodlum.

On June 6, 2019 at 4:13 AM, Duality said:

What of her canonical student antics, then? If she had a successful career it seems that she'd have directly become a teacher, or at least had enough of a taste of responsibility not to be such a hoodlum.

This was before the world knew of magic, remember? And she's a comparatively weak magic user, so it wasn't difficult to self teach herself control of her powers, let alone keep them hidden before people knew what to look for. 

She could've been responsible, but she views Salem as having taken her away from her fulfilling jobs, being told things she already knows by unqualified teachers, all because the government won't get off her tail until she's certified. 

In short, she was not happy about being sent back to school and getting treated like a kid. Well if Salem was gonna treat her like a juvenile, the she was gonna act like it.

(edited)
On 6/6/2019 at 11:10 PM, Denim&Venom said:

This was before the world knew of magic, remember? And she's a comparatively weak magic user, so it wasn't difficult to self teach herself control of her powers, let alone keep them hidden before people knew what to look for. 

Oh, you meant a successful mundane career; my mistake. Was her original job in teaching, perchance, or was this where she got that tank? :P

On 6/6/2019 at 11:10 PM, Denim&Venom said:

She could've been responsible, but she views Salem as having taken her away from her fulfilling jobs, being told things she already knows by unqualified teachers, all because the government won't get off her tail until she's certified. 

In short, she was not happy about being sent back to school and getting treated like a kid. Well if Salem was gonna treat her like a juvenile, the she was gonna act like it.

The government being overbearing is certainly canon, both in Salem's universe and ours, but Salem has had plenty of older students, especially in the early days. If anything, they try and treat kids like adults rather than the other way around. Her already knowing most of what they taught her to get certified is nearly guaranteed if she knew how to control her magic, though.

Edited by Duality