Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Salem University OOC (Open)

Duality

(edited)
On 7/25/2019 at 6:19 PM, Lektra Bolt said:

I see. No no I'm good just being average. I had just wanted to make sure it's listed that she's not any weaker than a full animalistic Pelajae, or somehow handicapped. Is that OK or I need to write it differently?

It's quite all right as is, I was just making sure that I understood. The DM is held to a somewhat higher standard of character comprehension than most other potential readers. :-P

But ok how would you suggest I do? I actually read that discussion, and I'm not actually sure why she's long lived except as a species trait. Just seems weird that Neko live long too

Can you think of a way to manipulate her into slower aging that doesn't add another power or proposes her building the fountain of youth?

It's part of how magic affects her particular species, since each race has magic affect them in a slightly different way from all others due to their various cultural differences - magic is centred within the user's psyche and hence is deeply shaped by everything normally termed 'subjective', and cultural subjectivity is the most powerful form of subjectivity in terms of psychological pervasiveness. Perhaps the Neko race and the Kitsune race have similar cultures in the respect that grants magic users among them longevity? The cultural aspect in particular that magical Kitsune grow old on would probably be the extensive traditional mythos of the area relating to magical foxes of old and their immortal exploits. I haven't heard enough about the Neko to make any connections, though.

I just figured there might be other mages who aren't Lektra and aren't electromagnetic that can still manipulate electrical signals, no? Would you say it's impossible? 

I dunno how control over electricity would work without some sort of electromagnetic ability, except as a sort of indirect control like how earth elementals would be able to mess with the metal conducting the signal, but nothing's impossible in this universe if you can come up with a convincing explanation for it. :toldya:

Alrighty so how do you recommend I rewrite them? Make it a progression of more of the same rather than spit up like now?

Enchanting is a bit broad though (How many enchanters do we have lol) but still separate from electromagnetism. Lektra specializes in enchanting to make Magitek, not enchanting in general. Maybe she should still teach this as a separate class? 

Something like that. The main thing to keep in mind is that the classes are tailored to the various uses of particular powers, not so much to the mainstream divisions of subject material included in the scope of each power. Since Lektra has electromagnetism and Magitek enchantment as her specific powerset, the classes she teaches would probably be split along those lines. Pure electromagnetism and applied electromagnetism are almost the two subjects, I think, but obviously the division is up to you.

Orly? Sounds like they would spend a lot of time chatting and discussing theories. Friends

hip is magic

I'll take a look when we get me figured out. Did you ever have a full in universe profile for your character and what she can do? I'm just seeing the pony profile

Also I'd like to decide history together when we iron out the powers. I'd like her to fit in, so she may not be a company heiress in this. I don't know yet 🤔

I don't think I ever condensed it anywhere into a single document, but the majority has been set down in text at some point or another in the IC thread. She's grown a lot from what I initially envisaged her as, so I'm actually quite glad I didn't set her profile in stone early on. The bullet-pointed short version, off the top of my head, goes something like:

• Her sole natural power is that of hydromancy, and as such she is dean of the hydromancy department. She is also the Vice Principal of Salem and a teacher of both hydromancy and rune theory (the latter of which was the subject of her doctorate).
  • Her extensive history with and esteemed position in Salem is the result of her being Gabriel Lazel's favoured research assistant and later research partner for a few years before the University opened and for many years afterwards until he died. Their research primarily concerned the nature, properties and applications of runes, since one of his powers (he was a multipower) was rune manipulation, and he was intensely interested in the theoretical side of their use.
  • After his death, he bequeathed her an artifact of as-of-yet unexplored origin that he either made or discovered at some point during his career and the properties and nature of which tied into a significant portion of their research together. This object, called the Wand/Stylus (it changes form to suit the user), is equivalent to the concept of itself, which, since runes are made up of the combination of an object and a concept, makes it of obvious interest in that field. It grants her the ability to create and manipulate runes, although not the ability to imbue much power into them, meaning it is easy for her to make runes but hard to make them physically do anything without an external source of energy and significant concentration. It's been playing a fairly large part in her personal storyline IC, what with inadvertently created A.I.s and psychedelic coma dreams, but that's all laid out in the other thread.
  • She is partially responsible for the maintenance and advancement of Salem's colossal and highly influential runic network, referenced extensively IC, and indeed helped Gabriel and several others create it. Her clothes, desk drawers, and other personal effects are almost without exception enchanted in various ways - she has had a very long and complicated career in which to gradually build up an array of all-circumstances conveniences, tools and failsafes to surround herself with.
  • Dot Dash / Deedah is her niece, and her profile is laid out fully somewhere in this thread, although I don't know if it's linked properly to the OP.

Let me know if you want to know anything else about her; I much enjoy developing her as a character. :squee:

@Denim&Venom

Are you waiting on someone in Miko's class to post? Dr Duality's just waiting on Angelscape's most recent reply at the moment.

Edited by Duality

5 minutes ago, Duality said:

:squee:

@Denim&Venom

Are you waiting on someone in Miko's class to post? Dr Duality's just waiting on Angelscape's most recent reply at the moment.

I'm waiting on everyone in Miko's class to post. Everyone is whining at how long it's taking and now that we have the oppritunity to wrap things up, no one is bothering to speak up. 

And I was kinda hoping Angel's discussion would lead into a flashback for Miko and her past. There isn't much to add other than Angel agreeing with the VP on Miko being insane and disagreeing with the school board. 

@Denim&Venom I think your Angelscape profile might have been wiped off of the surface of this thread after one of IPB upgrades, wasn't able to find it for reference of my post.

(edited)
7 hours ago, Duality said:

It's quite all right as is, I was just making sure that I understood. The DM is held to a somewhat higher standard of character comprehension than most other potential readers. :-P

Alrighty, thanks. And of course you need a higher standard of character comprehension, need to check for Op

But yeah, all she really does as far as physical activity is exercise the absolute bare minimum to keep her pretty figure, as calculated by various projections of exactly how little/much time and energy needs to be efficiently expended

It's part of how magic affects her particular species, since each race has magic affect them in a slightly different way from all others due to their various cultural differences - magic is centred within the user's psyche and hence is deeply shaped by everything normally termed 'subjective', and cultural subjectivity is the most powerful form of subjectivity in terms of psychological pervasiveness. Perhaps the Neko race and the Kitsune race have similar cultures in the respect that grants magic users among them longevity? The cultural aspect in particular that magical Kitsune grow old on would probably be the extensive traditional mythos of the area relating to magical foxes of old and their immortal exploits. I haven't heard enough about the Neko to make any connections, though.

I had actually wanted to write it as a hybrid of human and traditional feline Anthro, and not a separate Anthro species. Mom was a feline, dad was a human. She just happened to get hit with the random gene stick that she only has traditional anime Neko features and that's it. I guess if we make it as a separate species it could work, unless anyone objects? I mean we have felines here who don't age slower and might need a retcon

What do you propose?

I dunno how control over electricity would work without some sort of electromagnetic ability, except as a sort of indirect control like how earth elementals would be able to mess with the metal conducting the signal, but nothing's impossible in this universe if you can come up with a convincing explanation for it. :toldya:

I can't be bothered if you can't be bothered. I'll make it so and just combine the power classes

Something like that. The main thing to keep in mind is that the classes are tailored to the various uses of particular powers, not so much to the mainstream divisions of subject material included in the scope of each power. Since Lektra has electromagnetism and Magitek enchantment as her specific powerset, the classes she teaches would probably be split along those lines. Pure electromagnetism and applied electromagnetism are almost the two subjects, I think, but obviously the division is up to you.

Alrighty I'll just make it a progression of Magitek classes then, will make the edit later a bit 

Let me know if you want to know anything else about her; I much enjoy developing her as a character. :squee:

I might have questions after we iron out my powers/classes and get to history, we'll shelve that for now lol

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

On 7/27/2019 at 10:06 PM, Denim&Venom said:

I'm waiting on everyone in Miko's class to post. Everyone is whining at how long it's taking and now that we have the oppritunity to wrap things up, no one is bothering to speak up. 

It might be a good idea to mention the people in question to let them know who you're waiting on, since the who's in and who's out of the class is starting to get somewhat convoluted. I know @Mentis Soliloquy for one mentioned being a bit confused as to what was going on in the class, and I think everyone else has actually walked out already except Dru. Come to think of it, Mentis' character might have walked out as well; I can't quite recall.

On 7/27/2019 at 10:06 PM, Denim&Venom said:

And I was kinda hoping Angel's discussion would lead into a flashback for Miko and her past. There isn't much to add other than Angel agreeing with the VP on Miko being insane and disagreeing with the school board. 

Like I said, I'm down for it, but if you want it you're going to be the one initiating it - I don't know enough about Miko's past to start up any flashbacks about it. I've only spoken in quite general terms about her past so far.

On 7/28/2019 at 5:00 AM, Lektra Bolt said:

But yeah, all she really does as far as physical activity is exercise the absolute bare minimum to keep her pretty figure, as calculated by various projections of exactly how little/much time and energy needs to be efficiently expended

Ah, so a smidge on the appearance-focussed side, I take it? :pout:

On 7/28/2019 at 5:00 AM, Lektra Bolt said:

I had actually wanted to write it as a hybrid of human and traditional feline Anthro, and not a separate Anthro species. Mom was a feline, dad was a human. She just happened to get hit with the random gene stick that she only has traditional anime Neko features and that's it. I guess if we make it as a separate species it could work, unless anyone objects? I mean we have felines here who don't age slower and might need a retcon

What do you propose?

Ah, I see, I thought Neko was a Japanese cat species in its own right. A selection of manga should've been on the required reading list for DM school, honestly.

Maybe she could have some sort of mildly powerful personal slow-aging artefact/potion/spell/macguffin from her as-of-yet undefined past? It could provide a sort of plot fixture around which to frame/inspire some sections of her life to date, something like Duality's Stylus.

That or her genes could've gotten mixed topsy-turvy somehow and instead of aging five years for every one human year like a cat she ended up aging one year for every five human years via anti-cat quasimagic. Or her experiments are inundating her body with broad-spectrum electromagnetic radiation and slowed aging is just a bizarre symptom of her magic aura passively absorbing all that excess electromagnetic energy.

Alternatively, there's no known explanation and her magic/DNA/radiation damage is just weird like that somehow in a way that seems to be making her age slower and she explains it to people using a variety of these explanations because they're the most convincing she can think of

(edited)
3 hours ago, Duality said:

Ah, so a smidge on the appearance-focussed side, I take it? :pout:

A smudge yea. I mean can you blame her, looking like that? Would be a waste otherwise

3 hours ago, Duality said:

Ah, I see, I thought Neko was a Japanese cat species in its own right. A selection of manga should've been on the required reading list for DM school, honestly.

Maybe she could have some sort of mildly powerful personal slow-aging artefact/potion/spell/macguffin from her as-of-yet undefined past? It could provide a sort of plot fixture around which to frame/inspire some sections of her life to date, something like Duality's Stylus.

That or her genes could've gotten mixed topsy-turvy somehow and instead of aging five years for every one human year like a cat she ended up aging one year for every five human years via anti-cat quasimagic. Or her experiments are inundating her body with broad-spectrum electromagnetic radiation and slowed aging is just a bizarre symptom of her magic aura passively absorbing all that excess electromagnetic energy.

Alternatively, there's no known explanation and her magic/DNA/radiation damage is just weird like that somehow in a way that seems to be making her age slower and she explains it to people using a variety of these explanations because they're the most convincing she can think of

I don't really want to fall into 'I created the fountain of youth' scenario. Especially if something like that exists, someone would have tried to steal it

Actually I rather like that she doesn't know and makes up explanations. It would create some humorous situations maybe? Like someone finds out her age and be like dang how do you look like a twenty year old?

OK I'll make the changes

What do you think we should do for history? Should she be an heiress? I think if she was then she would not have much time to teach and research. I was actually thinking she's a one woman company. She introduces herself as a company, but then says she has no employees

If she is over 40 do you think she would have helped in the building of the school? Probably familiar with the other enchanters? How would we integrate her into the school story?

Edited by Lektra Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

On 7/31/2019 at 12:59 AM, Lektra Bolt said:

What do you think we should do for history? Should she be an heiress? I think if she was then she would not have much time to teach and research. I was actually thinking she's a one woman company. She introduces herself as a company, but then says she has no employees

If she is over 40 do you think she would have helped in the building of the school? Probably familiar with the other enchanters? How would we integrate her into the school story?

What would the 'company' actually consist of if it had no employees? Would it just be a hollow trademark or would she be the self-employed sole employee? If she was working full-time as a teacher she probably wouldn't be able to do enough on the side to be able to practically call herself a solo company, unless she just inherited the trademark of her parents' since-dissolved company and decided to keep the trademark as a conversation starter.

If she's in her forties Lektra would have been a teenager when the school was built. The founders were all in middle age or thereabouts, having advanced far enough in magic and maturity to reasonably undertake such a weighty task. Even Duality was only helping out on the side as an understudy for Gabriel - she barely did anything except while being supervised as a junior member of a much larger group. Familiarity with the other enchanters is pretty much a given, though.

She could have started at the University a few years after it was founded to do her practicum - all teaching qualifications require you to teach for some time in a real-life classroom, and Salem is pretty much the only place where an enchanting teacher can teach for real. Starting at a school in their early twenties as part of the practical side of their teaching qualification and applying for a full lecturer position there once the qualification is completed is a common career tactic among teachers, I've heard.

@Buck Testa

I think @Denim&Venom is just waiting on you for his classroom post, since your characters are literally the only ones who haven't walked out yet (out of the 5 or so who were in there at some point during its duration). He has said that his next post will most likely be the concluding one, so it's only one last post and Dru's free and away to enjoy the rest of her first day of classes.

• Brohoof 1

D'oh. Seems I've taken too long of a break here since everything is at snail's pace now :P

That being said I'm off to mountains so don't expect me to have a lot of time to do stuff this week.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Okay so before I write something up, what's the plan post- Miko's class? 

Probably just setting people loose to wander around NPC classes if applicable and generally set their own tone for the rest of the first day. We've gotten a few new characters since that class began that not many people have encountered yet.

1 hour ago, dragon4111 said:

Now how visible are arcane spells? Do they appear like in some anime?

They're generally visible by default (although it does depend somewhat on the type of magic), but non-novice mages usually do them invisibly for the sake of discretion and good practice. If Ghalan's looking to make a dramatic scene they'd be trivially easy to make visible, though.

On 8/28/2019 at 1:41 PM, Denim&Venom said:

@Duality @Buck Testa @Mentis Soliloquy @Passion 

We all good to go? Been like a week since I wrapped up class. 

Also I have ideas and potential new characters I wanna try out. 

3 hours ago, dragon4111 said:

@Duality@Denim&Venom

So uh any posts coming my way?

I'm personally waiting on @Passion and Denim for Dr Duality's post (mostly Passion, though, since new character arrival). Are you waiting on anyone besides me, Denim? Also, @Buck Testa, Dru's finally free so the directions of your posts from here are pretty much at your leisure.

4 hours ago, Duality said:

I'm personally waiting on @Passion and Denim for Dr Duality's post (mostly Passion, though, since new character arrival). Are you waiting on anyone besides me, Denim? Also, @Buck Testa, Dru's finally free so the directions of your posts from here are pretty much at your leisure.

Kinda waiting on everyone.  VP needs to address Ley and Kat for ditching class and Miko's demands for a new phone and workers comp. Waiting to see what Ghalan does next. And we also need to get @Lektra Bolt integrated.  I don't know what the direction is for everypony else. I kinda presumed they wanted to go to a class that actually taught magic. So who wants to handle that? 

@Passion @Duality @reader8363 @Buck Testa @dragon4111 @Mentis Soliloquy