Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private The Thieves of Shardstone Manor (1x1 with GoldieS)

Leavemealone

At midnight, the museum was silent, no sound or movement anywhere. Then, out of the blackness dropped two figures. Griffons. Silently they flew over the trip wires defending the less important exhibits before landing in front of the centerpiece: a large diamond. The one on the left, who was wearing a handkerchief around his neck and holding a dagger, slipped under the first of many wires attached bells strung around the display. He deftly leapt and flapped over and under each wire until he reached the center, when he signaled to his partner. The second griffon did the same as the first, with equal grace, and joined his partner inside the display. The first griffon cut open the display with his dagger and the second reached inside and pulled out a massive, fat, diamond. Then, copying what they had done earlier, they flew out of the museum holding the diamond. 

We are gonna start the RPing here. 

• Brohoof 1

Mort stood atop the roof, a good distance away from the museum. It wasn't exactly a good idea to stop right on the same block... there was always the threat of some hidden alarm or random pony spotting them. They did look... fairly suspicious after all. 

He waited for his partner to arrive, ogling the diamond for a moment with wide sparkling eyes of his own. 

"Alright... tell me again how much so I stop drooling..." Mort stated, shifting to meat his partner and stare at the haul. "You know, it's kinda funny right? Diamonds are totally worthless, but everyone's willing to pay out the whole bank for them!" 

• Brohoof 1

43 minutes ago, GoldieS said:

Mort stood atop the roof, a good distance away from the museum. It wasn't exactly a good idea to stop right on the same block... there was always the threat of some hidden alarm or random pony spotting them. They did look... fairly suspicious after all. 

He waited for his partner to arrive, ogling the diamond for a moment with wide sparkling eyes of his own. 

"Alright... tell me again how much so I stop drooling..." Mort stated, shifting to meat his partner and stare at the haul. "You know, it's kinda funny right? Diamonds are totally worthless, but everyone's willing to pay out the whole bank for them!" 

Luminio smiled, looking at Mort with a laugh. “Yes, something’s only worth anything if everypony agrees on its value. And every buyer on the black market seems to agree on that diamonds are worth it.” He stopped, listening, before saying, “I just heard the alarm from the museum being sounded. We should leave.” He hauled the massive diamond into a black bag and gave it to Mort before adjusting his handkerchief and slightly fading from sight ((his handkerchief has some magical properties, in my signature you can find his character link and look in the “other” section to see the kerchief’s abilities)). He dove off the edge of the roof before turning back and yelling back to Mort, “We’re going to the manor! Race ya there!” With that he put on an extra burst of speed. 

• Brohoof 1

"He he he... good luck!" Mort replied with a sly and determined grin. 

Mort was easily an endurance flyer. Not exactly the most stealthy creature, but black blended into the nighttime sky well enough. Especially when there was a decent amount of cloud cover. 

He took off, flapping his giant griffon wings to shadow Luminio from from high above, darting from cloud to cloud. It was a strategic move, and only workable if there were clouds at all, but flying low only guaranteed he'd be spotted by some random pony, and that could easily lead to trouble. Weather or not they knew what he had done. Anyone could put two and two together after a news report and give an anonymous tip about a suspicious flyer. 

Mort aimed directly for the manner, looking to spot it from high above before diving towards it. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
10 minutes ago, GoldieS said:

"He he he... good luck!" Mort replied with a sly and determined grin. 

Mort was easily an endurance flyer. Not exactly the most stealthy creature, but black blended into the nighttime sky well enough. Especially when there was a decent amount of cloud cover. 

He took off, flapping his giant griffon wings to shadow Luminio from from high above, darting from cloud to cloud. It was a strategic move, and only workable if there were clouds at all, but flying low only guaranteed he'd be spotted by some random pony, and that could easily lead to trouble. Weather or not they knew what he had done. Anyone could put two and two together after a news report and give an anonymous tip about a suspicious flyer. 

Mort aimed directly for the manner, looking to spot it from high above before diving towards it. 

The both of them landed on the roof of the manor, Luminio laughing hard. “You are quite fast! That was fun!” He quickly snapped into business mode. “Mort, let’s go down and secure the cargo so that we can sell it later.”

Luminio loped down the grand staircase of the manor and through dozens of hallways, then walked down another four staircases and through at least another score of hallways before arriving in the wine cellar. Walking over to a wall of the finest Appaloosan whiskeys, he pulled down a twelve-year aged bottle and a secret door opened in the wall to his left. Leaving the lever hanging out as to keep it open, he motioned to Mort, and walked through the door, down yet another staircase, and into a massive stone room. Inside, it was piled high inside with mountains of all manner of treasure. Gold coins, cups, vases, bowls, cutlery, daggers, and swords were mixed together in a large and beautiful pile. Gem-adorned weapons hung at the walls, and gem-and-gold woven tapestries hung everywhere else. Luminio waved Mort forward to place the diamond on a stand along with scores of other large gemstones.

Edited by Capper
  • Brohoof 1

Mort walked in, frowning, and not exactly impressed. He knew what to expect, after all, he had helped obtain it all. He followed closely behind Luminio, still examining the diamond as he did. He almost tripped over an arrant pile of coin in the process...

"Let me ask you a stupid question." He stated suddenly. "What's the point of all this? You remember when we were little and we decided to do this?"

Mort stopped where some of the other gems were. He wasn't usually the one to organize the vault, so it had been some time since he wondered around it personally. While things may have been haphazardly secured within from appearance, Mort couldn't help but notice the natural timeline that it displayed. It might have been subtle to some, but he could see the level of their success growing as time went on, simply by glancing around the vault. 

"Where do you want this one?" He asked. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, GoldieS said:

Mort walked in, frowning, and not exactly impressed. He knew what to expect, after all, he had helped obtain it all. He followed closely behind Luminio, still examining the diamond as he did. He almost tripped over an arrant pile of coin in the process...

"Let me ask you a stupid question." He stated suddenly. "What's the point of all this? You remember when we were little and we decided to do this?"

Mort stopped where some of the other gems were. He wasn't usually the one to organize the vault, so it had been some time since he wondered around it personally. While things may have been haphazardly secured within from appearance, Mort couldn't help but notice the natural timeline that it displayed. It might have been subtle to some, but he could see the level of their success growing as time went on, simply by glancing around the vault. 

"Where do you want this one?" He asked. 

@GoldieS

Luminio looked at Mort. Then he sighed.

“Look, I’ve always been a thief. I grew up in a gang in Griffonstone. I was their leader. I’m sorry if this isn’t what you’ve wanted all along, but you were my friend and you went along with it. And honestly, we live better than Celestia. That wine and whiskey upstairs on the general racks? Cost me 400,000 gold coins just for that 10,000 bottle collection. Aged within a range of 12-24 years. And my personal rack? I’ve spent more than 2 million gold on it. 19th and 20th century vintage wines and champagnes. We’ve spent more than the royal budget for a year just last week. I know you don’t follow the house budget, and maybe I should include you more.”

He looked down and toyed with his dagger. 

“Put the diamond on the far right stand. It’s organized. You don’t come down here much.”

Luminio started to walk out. 

“Also, we’re hosting some billionaires from Manehattan tonight for dinner. I’m going to have the cooks start now.”

Edited by Capper
  • Brohoof 1

Mort rolled his eyes. "Chill out." He replied defensively. 

"I didn't say anything bad or anything..." Mort added, following the other griffon out after placing the gem down. "Don't need more coin either... my budget's fine." 

Once they were both out, Mort did the honors of closing the place back up. For whatever reason, he got a kick out of the secret bookshelf entrance. It was just one of those cool neat little things, stuff like that was just downright fun. 

"I'm just saying like, don't you want someone to know it was you that stole all this?" He asked, a little hesitantly. "I don't mean literally you, like... okay, this might sound... stupid or lame, but like, a super villain!?" 

Mort smiled a little at the thought. By no means was he usually a nerd or anything like that but... the idea sounded fun to him. Sneaking in somewhere and stealing something had lost its excitement a long time ago, it was more routine now. 

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, GoldieS said:

Mort rolled his eyes. "Chill out." He replied defensively. 

"I didn't say anything bad or anything..." Mort added, following the other griffon out after placing the gem down. "Don't need more coin either... my budget's fine." 

Once they were both out, Mort did the honors of closing the place back up. For whatever reason, he got a kick out of the secret bookshelf entrance. It was just one of those cool neat little things, stuff like that was just downright fun. 

"I'm just saying like, don't you want someone to know it was you that stole all this?" He asked, a little hesitantly. "I don't mean literally you, like... okay, this might sound... stupid or lame, but like, a super villain!?" 

Mort smiled a little at the thought. By no means was he usually a nerd or anything like that but... the idea sounded fun to him. Sneaking in somewhere and stealing something had lost its excitement a long time ago, it was more routine now. 

Luminio turned around. “I’m sorry if I was gruff. I just don’t know what I’d do without thievery. My life is just that now. Nothing else. I’ve nowhere to go but here now and I’m scared to stop. I’ve developed habits that aren’t the best and I can’t stop them. And maybe a supervillain would be kinda cool. Look into that, will ya?”

• Brohoof 1

"Hey, I'm right there with yah." Mort replied with a smile, resting his talons on Luminio's shoulder. "Hey, I said a long time ago in Griffonstone when we were little I'd roll with you as long as you'd roll with me. So... I'm not calling it quits before you." 

"Alright, so what fancy-pants ponies are showing up today? I need a tux or anything? Ugh... I hate fancy clothes..." Mort brooded. 

Mort had to admit... he enjoyed mocking them behind their backs, thinking in the end he'd end up steeling anything worth of value they had later. It was a funny thought, usually didn't pan out that way, but it gave him the gusto and motivation to act all 'friendly' in the moment. After all, they were world class entertainers and apparently expert investors

• Brohoof 1

Luminio smiled, glad that he still had this friendship. 

“Who’s coming? Why, the Vice Director of the Dragonlands Department of Equestrian Threatening Magical Extremities. He’s paid quite a bit, as you could imagine. He is a dragon, and as we eat meat like him, we will be serving thrice-roasted Saddle Arabian hens sautéed in fresh herbs, lemon, and butter, with a duo of two 20th century vintage champagnes, one pear, and the other apple. The dinner is going to be costly. The cooks are already working, and he will be here within the hour.”

• Brohoof 1

"Ugh, what!? So we're giving him all the good food..." Mort brooded. "Fine, long as he stays away from my lobster..." 

"Wait, who what now? What did you say his title was? So like, does that include uhm, tentacles and stuff?" He huffed in annoyance. "I don't even know... I hate politics. You know you're doing all the talking, right?"

Like it was any different than usual. With a final huff, Mort went off to change out of his thief's getup. He didn't like wearing fancy suits, just didn't feel comfortable. How anyone could wear them all day and not have to itch themselves constantly, or adjust in front of everyone for comfort sake, was beyond him. Even when he told the tailor specifically to make it feel 'nice', the most they could do is make it with a velvet interior. 

He walked down the endless opulent corridors of the manor to his room, walking at a brisk pace to not leave Luminio alone with the dragon for more than a few minutes should the other bird change out before him. 

• Brohoof 1

47 minutes ago, GoldieS said:

"Ugh, what!? So we're giving him all the good food..." Mort brooded. "Fine, long as he stays away from my lobster..." 

"Wait, who what now? What did you say his title was? So like, does that include uhm, tentacles and stuff?" He huffed in annoyance. "I don't even know... I hate politics. You know you're doing all the talking, right?"

Like it was any different than usual. With a final huff, Mort went off to change out of his thief's getup. He didn't like wearing fancy suits, just didn't feel comfortable. How anyone could wear them all day and not have to itch themselves constantly, or adjust in front of everyone for comfort sake, was beyond him. Even when he told the tailor specifically to make it feel 'nice', the most they could do is make it with a velvet interior. 

He walked down the endless opulent corridors of the manor to his room, walking at a brisk pace to not leave Luminio alone with the dragon for more than a few minutes should the other bird change out before him. 

Luminio gave Mort a hug, then left for his room. He hated these meetings with the Dragonlands Defense Council almost as much as Mort did, but he had no choice. If he wanted to learn ‘bout his next target, he had to meet and greet with the owners. 

Quickly he started to change into his tux, tucking his magical handkerchief in his coat pocket and his dagger into a secret pocket in his tux jacket-just in case that the Vice Director and his cohorts started to suspect something. Just then, a loud knocking sounded throughout the manor. 

• Brohoof 1

Mort jumped, almost tearing some of his 'fancy' clothes in the process. He stood there for a moment in his room, grumbling about it, before finishing the dressing process. He hurried to it, leaving his his knife in favor of his sharpened talons and carnivorous beak. Most creature's found a particular distaste using tooth and claw in a fight... but Mort had no such reservations. Plus, he figured a lot of dragon's respected that sort of thing, the confidence and look of sharpened talons and chompers. 

After navigating the piles of clothes he had cluttering his room, Mort rushed out, quickly moving to the main hall to link up with Luminio to greet the dragon and his retinue together. 

• Brohoof 1

@GoldieS 

Luminio finished dressing and raced out of his bedroom and dressing room, charging down to hallway to find the door still closed. He opened it to see a very old, shriveled little dragon who was using a cane and throwing some serious shade. The dragon furrowed his brow. 

“You’re late to the door, griffon. Bad marks.”

Luminio bowed low, smiling broadly. “Welcome to Shardstone Manor! You will be well accommodated here by our servants. My housemate should be here any second.”

• Brohoof 1

Mort slid to a stop before he entered the entry hall with Luminio and the dignitary. He paused for a brief moment, adjusting his suit and making sure he his feathers were still perfectly in line. Then, he casually strolled in, assuming a swaying step as he approached the others. His look was best described as nonchalant, a playboy. 

"Ha ha! Bad marks? What, are we in school again?" Mort joked, stepping up to them, he conveniently kept out any bows or even tilts of the head.

Mort wished Luminio wouldn't do it either... but he couldn't stop him from trying to give off that nobility vibe. Dragons did respect... respect after all. Though, they never seemed interested in reciprocating it. So, Mort was intent on having a bit of fun with this politician. 

"Well, welcome to our estate!" Mort added, leaning forward to gently grab the dragon's head to give a peck on either side of his cheek. 

A... strange noble pony custom, one that Mort absolutely hated. However, he did so enjoy seeing other creature's reactions when he did it. This dragon was in Equestria after all, so he was getting the full treatment...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@GoldieS

The small, shriveled dragon scoffed and huffed in indignation. 

“What were you doing, griffon!? Pony custom pishpash as usual!”

Luminio turned and winked at Mort before consoling the dragon. 

“I’m afraid that was entirely alright for him to do that. Disregarding, would you like to have dinner?”

The dragon huffed again before nodding. Luminio led them into large and grand dining hall, with chalices, silverware, and plates of solid gold, inlaid with gemstones. These plates were very, very, heavy, so the servants carried the plates in separately, one at a time. Then the servants came with large covered platters. They set these down at each table setting before lifting the lids spectacularly to reveal:

(You’re gonna love this)

Perfectly golden brown Saddle Arabian miniature hens flowing with the perfect amount of dressing and adorned with sprigs of rosemary.

This was accompanied by small painted ceramic dishes of a cream-potato dish cooked to perfection, with just a sprig of thyme on the top.

After was a small plate of tiny Luna Bay mussels covered in sauce and plated artistically. 

At the end, the centerpiece of the whole meal?

Two long, slender bottles of 20th century champagne, pear and apple. 

Even the shriveled dragon gave a bit of a smile. 

Edited by Capper
  • Brohoof 1

Mort smiled in delight, surveying the wonderful spread. He wasn't really in the mood to hide how hungry he was, not that he would have any other day anyways...

"Excellent!" Mort said as he took his own seat at the table. "I bet you don't get stuff like this back home eh? Have to say, we certainly have the best chefs around. We like perfection, you see, the best of everything."

He chuckled, before looking over to Luminio. "Hey, did the chefs use that sixth century brick oven I got from my trip to the west? I feel like this would have been the perfect opprotunity to test it out. I heard it gives a rather distinct flavor." 

Mort began cutting into his hen, along with some of the sides of course. He gave a quiet thanks to the servants after they set it down. He wasn't much for muscles though...

• Brohoof 1

@GoldieS

Luminio cut into his hen and turned to speak to Mort.

”They most certainly did use the brick oven! I had them use it for the first, fourth, and fifth stages of roasting so that the pan additions would be perfect. It’s giving a kind of zingy citrus flavor almost. I don’t know how to describe it but it is delicious.”

As he bit into a piece of creamy potato, he saw Mort’s look of distaste at the mussles. 

“Come on, try them! They’re the finest imported, just caught early this morning and sent here post-haste! They’ve got the best killer sauce on them ever. You really should give them a taste.”

Edited by Capper
  • Brohoof 1

Mort merely shrugged. "Eh, just not my thing I guess. But these hens though..." 

He dug into the juicy tender chicken, not at all pausing for the sake of manners or anything as silly as that. Even though there was a guest present, he couldn't help himself from enjoying a good well prepared meal. Not that he demanded that sort of thing from the servants all the time. More often than not, he was perfectly fine with some simple more... local foods, despite his often carnivorous appetite at times. 

"Wow! They really outdid themselves this time! Well, almost as good as last Friday." Mort mused as he continued to eat, before looking over to the dragon. "I can't imagine you get something so impressive back in the Dragon lands." 

The dragon dropped his fork to his plate, took his napkin, and wiped his mouth daintily. 

“We do have the best of the best in the Dragonlands, and we do not eat simple pony food. However, this is quite good.”

With that, he ate a couple of mussels and took a swift draught of the pear champagne.