Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The WPCC Lounge

PinkieShadow

And I still can't properly explain anything...

Umm, ghosting; you ghost everyone you know because you either can't trust them or you can't trust yourself enough to be with them, but when you do, you run away and start a new life with a new name.

I'm trying to design a character who is on an insane level of distrust; basically pushing out anyone who offers help and insisting on doing everything herself, and never explaining her motives or reasoning to anyone. Worse: she firmly believes her happiest days are behind her and never does anything enjoyable and she wants to suppress everything about her past because it reminds her of a happy moment that can never happen again.

She's also fairly young so her reasoning doesn't have to make sense either; psychological barriers are a pita in the backside. Why is she so distrustful? I'll get to that later.

My other side idea is a changeling and kirin who became friends, but both of them have to disguise themselves as ponies because ponies are still a little freaked out about changelings and kirins are too awesome.

My other other side idea is when is it justifiable for a unicorn to wear mechanical wings?

EDIT: oh yeah, when she realises why she is, she ditches the only friend who ever knew her the most because she realised how much of a headache she was to her friend; leaving was the best thing she can ever do to her friend.

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk

4 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

And I still can't properly explain anything...

Umm, ghosting; you ghost everyone you know because you either can't trust them or you can't trust yourself enough to be with them, but when you do, you run away and start a new life with a new name.

I'm trying to design a character who is on an insane level of distrust; basically pushing out anyone who offers help and insisting on doing everything herself, and never explaining her motives or reasoning to anyone. Worse: she firmly believes her happiest days are behind her and never does anything enjoyable and she wants to suppress everything about her past because it reminds her of a happy moment that can never happen again.

She's also fairly young so her reasoning doesn't have to make sense either; psychological barriers are a pita in the backside. Why is she so distrustful? I'll get to that later.

Quite a depressing character outline, but seen worse.

My other side idea is a changeling and kirin who became friends, but both of them have to disguise themselves as ponies because ponies are still a little freaked out about changelings and kirins are too awesome.

Original Changelings (if there still are any) are not going to be popular with ponies. they don't seem to care about the glitterbugs (maybe they just don't recognise them as changelings?)

And I haven't seen any negative reactions to kirins, although you could understand niriks not being invited to parties.

My other other side idea is when is it justifiable for a unicorn to wear mechanical wings?

Not sure why they would? The wings of a pegasus are just the focus of their Wingpower magic - everything else they can do (cloud walking and wrangling, flight and heavy lifting, tornados) are applied Wingpower, not crude mechanical lift.

The character I'm talking about, I'm funnelling every frustration I've ever had in my life into her character development. Which ones? Impossible to say. I wanna elaborate on her more, though.

The other character I have, I had to rewrite his backstory several times, and it's currently at "his entire family died in a fire and now his aunt lives with him".

The other other character I have, he's me and his backstory should line up more or less with my significant life events.

The other other other character I have, he's the only character who was designed appearance-first, not personality-first; he's also the only character whose cutie mark was recycled from a class project and it's his cutie mark that I secretly hide in nearly every image I've ever made.

Also, imagine a perpetually angery but still functional kirin (not a nirik just yet but technically nirik). Also imagine a changeling who regularly prefers being in a pony form.

Alright, here's her (proposed and nonexhaustive) dark philosophies:

• "You either understand me or you don't; there is no in-between."
  • "Asking me whether I trust you is enough to make me lose all trust in you."
  • "All it takes is one mistake for everyone (she also hates ponycentric pronouns) to hate you."
  • "It's better to never say anything than to be misunderstood."

I could go on spitballing ideas to see which ones are good. By spitball, I mean throwing stuff (spitballs, spaghetti noodles, whatever else is sticky) on a figurative wall and seeing which one stick.

Making a character with a depressing backstory that remains likeable to readers isn’t the easiest thing for sure.

1 hour ago, Key Sharkz said:

Making a character with a depressing backstory that remains likeable to readers isn’t the easiest thing for sure.

Very Pony though - given all the redemption arcs, Fizzlepop and so forth.

or Sergeant Calhoun from Wreck it Ralph..

Is it reasonable for my character to hide her sorrow with pure anger? Or rather, her anger being a result of her many failed attempts to express her sorrow?

"What you think, what you feel, what you believe in, none of it matters when no one wants to listen to you."

I imagine her saying that to some random pony just to break said pony, but also to herself at night when she's all alone.

19 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Is it reasonable for my character to hide her sorrow with pure anger? Or rather, her anger being a result of her many failed attempts to express her sorrow?

"What you think, what you feel, what you believe in, none of it matters when no one wants to listen to you."

I imagine her saying that to some random pony just to break said pony, but also to herself at night when she's all alone.

It all depends on how you go about it. A lot of characters hide pain with anger, so long as it’s done well it’s a viable option.

1 hour ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I kinda wanna investigate the limits of redeemability; at what point is a character like infinitesimally close to being a lost cause?

That's very much in the eye of the beholder though; at what point do others stop trying to be there for them?

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

That's very much in the eye of the beholder though; at what point do others stop trying to be there for them?

I could think of a few situations and none of them are any good (and I'm still talking about my distrustful character):

• Declaring them as enemies outright
  • Straight-up abandoning them (ghosting?)
  • From experience, it takes a minimum of one "I don't want your help" response to drive someone out, but for anyone who has never met the character before; it takes a lot more for anyone else but I'd imagine she'll end up winning in the end and she'll just be as lonely as she was

19 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I could think of a few situations and none of them are any good (and I'm still talking about my distrustful character):

• Declaring them as enemies outright
  • Straight-up abandoning them (ghosting?)
  • From experience, it takes a minimum of one "I don't want your help" response to drive someone out, but for anyone who has never met the character before; it takes a lot more for anyone else but I'd imagine she'll end up winning in the end and she'll just be as lonely as she was

There is a difference between acceptance and redemption though - the latter assumes the character will be willing and able to change in order to conform with expected behavour; the former that the others will be able to work around or ignore the issues they have with the character,

To give examples - GlimGlam is the latter (I think trying to fix everything with magic is a unicorn trait though, given Twi does that too) but Pharynx is the former.

I kinda wanna investigate the limits of redeemability; at what point is a character like infinitesimally close to being a lost cause?

I proposed the same question in stories before.

From what I gather people are willing to forgive:

• Murder
  • Murdering people for fun

But it seems the limit is drawn at child murder. You kill one kid without a justifiable reason and no one cares if you cure cancer and AIDS the next day.

Murder wouldn't be an option given how young the character is and I can never remember the difference between former and latter...

Something I'm guilty of doing many times; rejecting advice that I asked for.

Imagine this: she explains her family situation to someone, misspeaks about it, gives someone the wrong impression, said someone gives the wrong advice, and she scolds (maybe beats up?) said someone for giving said advice. Then she swears to never explain her family again.

4 minutes ago, Olly said:

The last time I had a confrontation like this, I gave up roleplaying a few months later and have been too scared to try again.

One of my shameful moments...

Just now, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

The last time I had a confrontation like this, I gave roleplaying a few months later and have been too scared to try again.

One of my shameful moments...

I'm only kidding ya. I just don't know why this thread exists or where it came from

Thread started as some recurring roleplay over in @totally's boop thread, back end of 2017 (combined with some discussion of coffee) so one of the regulars there started a separate thread for it. Was pretty popular last summer, then got trolled quite a bit and a lot of the regulars stopped being.

7 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Is energy drink ok...?

They aren't terrible, but most are loaded with sugar, pretty much by definition. I prefer coke zero (or equivalents - Tesco sell a much cheaper knockoff that tastes the same :D)