Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The WPCC Lounge

PinkieShadow

47 minutes ago, Olly said:

weed is good for the soul

And I'm here thinking about policies of isolation:

• If something takes too long to explain, it's not worth sharing or continuing
  • If you have something to share and no one shows interest, it's not worth sharing
  • If someone has an idea more popular than yours, yours is not worth implementing, no matter what
  • It is not worth the time explaining something others won't be able to understand
  • It is better to be unknown than to be unwanted

I know too well how I operate with others. Too often I work better in isolation and too often I'm forced to do so.

2 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

And I'm here thinking about policies of isolation:

• If something takes too long to explain, it's not worth sharing or continuing

Usually if it takes too long to explain, you need to understand it better :)

• If you have something to share and no one shows interest, it's not worth sharing

Nope .If you have something to share, and those you share it with show no interest, then either you shared it to the wrong people or at the wrong time.

• If someone has an idea more popular than yours, yours is not worth implementing, no matter what

Again nope. Popularity doesn't reflect value, and value doesn't reflect popularity.

Windows is pretty sucky, but IS popular (not as popular as *nix of course, but that's a recent thing :D )

• It is not worth the time explaining something others won't be able to understand

See first point. however, its amazing how invested people can be in not understanding something if it contradicts what they want to believe.

• It is better to be unknown than to be unwanted

Ah well, I can agree with that one, but then, I AM an introvert :)

I know too well how I operate with others. Too often I work better in isolation and too often I'm forced to do so.

adding more people to a team increases team complexity - it rarely helps a time crunch, as the time lost bringing someone new up to speed and getting productive work out of them is usually more valuable than the actual work output gained.

46 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

If it wasnt obvious, I wasn't feeling all so good...

I think it was a bit obvious, yes.

but at least here it literally writes "art contest winner" under your name every time you post, :D

(edited)
22 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

I think it was a bit obvious, yes.

but at least here it literally writes "art contest winner" under your name every time you post, :D

Oftentimes I dwell on mistakes nonstop.

Unless I can make a writing style work the same way as my art styles, I don't wanna bother with writing...

I'm not good with dialogue because it often reflects my own speaking style; if I use that, it'll be full of quirks that are simply seen as errors. Stream of consciousness suffers the same problem but is slightly more workable since there's no character to character interaction.

I have more experience with drawing than writing that I know when I'm being told unworkable advice (my no-advice policy still stands, even if it makes me unpopular with the self-proclaimed "true artists"), but writing is so underdeveloped that being told I'm doing something wrong is like being told my life is wrong.

I should've stuck with computer science, shouldn't I?

22 minutes ago, Olly said:

30 points to gryffindor 

How many reward points

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk

25 minutes ago, Olly said:

30 points to gryffindor 

*mutters darkly about the lack of points for Ravenclaw*

8 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I'm not good with dialogue because it often reflects my own speaking style; if I use that, it'll be full of quirks that are simply seen as errors. Stream of consciousness suffers the same problem but is slightly more workable since there's no character to character interaction.

That isn't uncommon; the Guardian story Alexshy is writing has a very distinctive syntax, shall we say :)

(edited)
34 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

*mutters darkly about the lack of points for Ravenclaw*

That isn't uncommon; the Guardian story Alexshy is writing has a very distinctive syntax, shall we say :)

I already drove writing into the ground many times before. Many times I've concluded that it's best left that way.

I tried an all-dialogue story once but found it to be too synthetic (for lack of a better word) to be believable. I found that a no-dialogue story would be more workable, then SOC.

I dont wanna hear another argument over how RYB and past tense has been the standard for centuries, and any such persons forcing me to follow tradition, well, they'd better give up on me now.

Disclaimer: no one's had a problem with me using present tense so far...

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk

1 hour ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

@CypherHoof, @Olly

So how bad do things have to be for...?o

Not sure what this is trying to say, to be honest?

1 hour ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Also, is it fair to ban feedback because people keep giving unusable advice?

No, sadly. you need to learn to tune out unwelcome advice, because most people are full of it (double meaning intended)

1 minute ago, CypherHoof said:

Not sure what this is trying to say, to be honest?

No, sadly. you need to learn to tune out unwelcome advice, because most people are full of it (double meaning intended)

Thorax lost Pharynx in the dark. Or Pharynx ran away.

I've been known to make needlessly strict policies; I've recently made several posts outside of here that said stuff along the lines of "these stylistic decisions are not made in error and are a prominent feature of my art style; do not suggest anything that undoes any of those choices" and "I don't wanna keep defending my choices every time I ask how I did"...

I also don't know what art style my thing is; i never got an answer...

1 minute ago, PiratePony said:

Me too!!

I follow this thread yet I ignore the notifications. Too bad to, this thread was great in its hayday.

Thorax lost Pharynx in the dark. Or Pharynx ran away.

Ok ,well all I got from that was "Thorax, with a lamp, suddenly thinks of Pharynx" - didn't really give me "searching".

I've been known to make needlessly strict policies; I've recently made several posts outside of here that said stuff along the lines of "these stylistic decisions are not made in error and are a prominent feature of my art style; do not suggest anything that undoes any of those choices" and "I don't wanna keep defending my choices every time I ask how I did"...

I also don't know what art style my thing is; i never got an answer...

Clearly some sort of minimalism, not unlike outline minimalism, which I may have mentioned before one of my favorite Fluttershy images uses - using only lines to show colour and shape, with even a reflection present:

FS.png.c60ea060d189ce3c882632e21681ec10.png

Obviously your work is instead using solid blocks of colour to exploit shape; your more recent work, by representing shading effects, seems to move more away from this but still demonstrates the removal of fine detail to leave just the "essence" of the character.

That said though, it's not necessary to pidgeonhole your art style as being an example of anything specific - you are free to develop it in whatever direction you feel best, not constrained by the work of others, but should consider other similar works to see if there are any elements of their style you feel would work well as part of yours. Consider the work of this artist, for example:

MinRarity.png.fbee5b4909a4310af5109fc4ae01944d.png

2 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

Oh wow, been awhile since I've been in this thread.

Indeed

2 hours ago, PiratePony said:

Me too!!

2 hours ago, TheTaZe said:

I follow this thread yet I ignore the notifications. Too bad to, this thread was great in its hayday.

"i liked it before it was cool"

Seriously though, while I would like to see a bit more traffic here, I am not sure I would want to see it updating a page a minute like it did last summer - that was too much to track.