TempestShadow

The WPCC Lounge

Someone said game? dfEG13d.png

15 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I so wanna convert my project to C# so bad...

Can I explain...?

Converting projects? I know that pain. :twi:

Badges

13 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

I had a great idea: A special about the 80s cartoons villains meeting and teaming up. Shredder, Mumm-Ra, Skeletor, Cobra Commander, and Megatron.

Skeletor and Cobra Commander interacting would be comedy gold.

I think Marvel did a series literally called "Supervillain team up" but I haven't read it...

Badges

I had my first scary dream in forever: cancer (not me, my dad) and my digestive tract was dying. Yeah, I'm not gonna fall asleep again; I might get diagnosed with something worse...

And I lost my glasses in the 50-whatever floor hospital.

1 hour ago, Rikifive said:

Someone said game? dfEG13d.png

Converting projects? I know that pain. :twi:

Game dev major here...?

Well, I feel it might be a lot better I'd I did convert it; I know more C# than JS...

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk

Badges

1 minute ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Game dev major here...?

Well, I feel it might be a lot better I'd I did convert it; I know more C# than JS...

I was moving a project between engines in the past, so I pretty much had to start over, because not only the language was different, but its whole layout and workflow. It was an RPG, so there were lots of things all over the place, for statistics and stuff. :twi:

If you really feel, that converting will be for the better, then it may be worth it. It mostly depends on how far you are with your project and how complex it is. If you're close to releasing, it probably would be better to finish it and then eventually *remaster* it if desired. Think of what opportunities and possibilities converting can give and compare it to the time it may require, then judge if it is really worth it. Does JS give you a bad time? Are you familiar with C#? How big is the difference of your knowledge between these languages? Perhaps reminding/improving at JS wouldn't be a bad option, it's not a bad language from what I've heard, so it probably wouldn't be wasted.

I wasn't that far, so I reprogrammed things from nothing, improving it all while doing so. Also I originally worked with Ruby, which isn't a great language for games. :P 

Badges

1 minute ago, Rikifive said:

I was moving a project between engines in the past, so I pretty much had to start over, because not only the language was different, but its whole layout and workflow. It was an RPG, so there were lots of things all over the place, for statistics and stuff. :twi:

Rule of thumb is to plan on throwing your first revision away anyhow :D

Badges

So I got two scripts: one that generates a housing distribution (number of people per household) and an age distribution (number of people per age group), and all of that gets generated based on the number of occupied houses.

There's no tax system or timekeeping yet... Or job system...

I'm also the sole dev...

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk

Badges

Hmm it sounds like it wouldn't be much of a pain to port to another language. :P 

I also do everything on my own. In fact, many indie devs work alone. They usually consider building a team when going serious - starting a commercial project or something. Until then, it's mostly one-man-army, occasionally commissioning someone for single pieces of art/resources. Either way, I get what you mean, personally the only thing that gets on my way is my job. It doesn't leave that much of free time, nor motivation. :P 

Badges

And here's where things get technical: I've done (what I think is) a good job keeping every class I write as much of a black box as possible (some with an internal state or whatever), but when it comes to putting things together in the context of gamedev, I can't figure out where things go. Like, where do I put the timekeeper? In its own black box?

Alright... I said this elsewhere, but some parts of a city builder have things analogous to a healthbar; for example, you have X and Y such that X <= Y but X and Y can change independently of one another (EX: X is your current health, Y is your max health; X changes depending on whether you heal or take damage, Y changes depending on whether you have anything that boosts your max health). What happens if you have a nested healthbar? Like, X <= Y <= Z and X, Y, and Z can change independently of one another? In the city-builder context, Z is the plots of land for building houses, Y is the number of houses currently built, and X is the number of occupied houses.

Never mind, I'm gonna go out for a covfefe...

Badges

1 hour ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

And here's where things get technical: I've done (what I think is) a good job keeping every class I write as much of a black box as possible (some with an internal state or whatever), but when it comes to putting things together in the context of gamedev, I can't figure out where things go. Like, where do I put the timekeeper? In its own black box?

Alright... I said this elsewhere, but some parts of a city builder have things analogous to a healthbar; for example, you have X and Y such that X <= Y but X and Y can change independently of one another (EX: X is your current health, Y is your max health; X changes depending on whether you heal or take damage, Y changes depending on whether you have anything that boosts your max health). What happens if you have a nested healthbar? Like, X <= Y <= Z and X, Y, and Z can change independently of one another? In the city-builder context, Z is the plots of land for building houses, Y is the number of houses currently built, and X is the number of occupied houses.

One of the eternal UI/UX questions, really - so, visual metaphors for a meter?. 

To give some examples then - bars can be multipart without being nested  or multiple bars (which may or not be themselves multipart) can be vertically stacked. If you like the metaphor of a thermometer "line" as an "innermost" nested bar, you can have what amounts to a two-part bar top and bottom, and a three part bar in the middle.

you can also add visual indicators that are narrow or external (so caret style "ticks" or a pixel-thin threshold line and so forth)

image.png.633fb6d16a02821356825b7146cea9b3.png

Badges

Well, still here, thank Celestia.

Switching ISP tomorrow, and I don't know when my current connection will be cut off to prepare for that..

Badges

2 hours ago, CypherHoof said:

Well, still here, thank Celestia.

Switching ISP tomorrow, and I don't know when my current connection will be cut off to prepare for that..

WOuld you like a consolation bug-hug?

Badges