Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's the dummest way youve wasted money?

UltimateGhost3

Simple, whats the dumbest way you've wasted money? Was it for a guilty pleasure, a mistake, or something else?

I personally bought 3 two liters of Diet Dr. Pepper to fill with water balloons and throw at people making them all sticky, problem was the balloons wouldn't break! money well spent :adorkable:

I bought a Madcatz mouse back in 2015. Not going to say how much it was, but I was very pissed it stopped working a day later, and was basically refused customer support. It's a wonder they went bankrupt last year.

I can pull a list.
-Buying microtransactions for a game I only had a pass for
-Buying a cheap ocarina that is poorly tuned
-Buying games, only to play them once and never touch them again... looking at you Halo 5 :okiedokieloki:
-Buying the wrong parts for upgrading my computer, despite my brother in law telling me what to buy... though I was refunded and bought the right parts
-Spending a good $60 at the state fair... the Arizona state fair is stupidly overpriced in everything

This is all I can think of at the moment.

• Brohoof 2

Any sort of gambling really :proud: . Especially when the gambling mechanism makes you feel so close that you wish to try again hoping to repeat that pseudo-success :ooh: .

Crane games are everywhere, I don't really hang around them often anymore :proud: .

The one dummest way though.... I don't agree to this, but my brothers say it was dumb for me to spend $40 on GTA V just to not have to raise 3 million online dollars (which would've taken me months given the amount of time available) to buy the Hydra jumpjet, although since I earned that much in a gig of basketball band, I say it wasn't a bad spend :umad: .

Edited by WWolf
  • Brohoof 1

All throughout last year, with my fast food addiction. I would always buy McDonald's, Subway or Hungry Jacks, typically on days when I felt terrible, which happened a lot during last year... Still recovering from it and making big changes to my diet.

Years and years ago, I agreed, with some insistence from the wife, to have a custom costume commissioned to accompany my wife to a convention. The costume cost over a grand, and I chickened out at the last minute. 

I also spent an absurd amount of money chasing a pre-med baccalaureate that I decided, after passing the MCAT and applying to Med Schools, required too great of a time investment. 

I have tons of games I haven't even touch yet, though, that's more of a matter of my backlog being unhealthily large than me regretting buying said game. One game I do regret buying was Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Battle 22, not only is it the worst game, it's also the worst game I ever paid full price for

Edited by Whompy Whomperson
  • Brohoof 1

- Thrillville: Off the Rails' DS Port. Game wasn't worth half of a dollar let alone 40 dollars. Would pay more for ONE of SM64DS's minigames than that entire game.

- Some Riot Points that I wasted on skins that didn't even look that great on champions I wouldn't even care to play anymore. About $30 of junk there.

- Nonfunctional PC port of Disgaea 2. It literally freezes in the game's opening cutscene, nothing to do with my computer as it could run BL2 decently (computer was sort of deteriorating) at the time, and I'd think that should be FAR more demanding on the PC.  About $20 wasted.

- PC port of Tomb Raider: Legend. It was thoroughly a poorly designed game, and most of the problems with it have nothing to  do with porting it. Disappointing first impression of a supposedly amazing franchise to say the least, especially considering that it's supposedly one of the best games in it. About $20 wasted.

Edited by Duzzkey

Mostly WWE PPVs, the worst being December to Dismember. It launched a week after another major ppv, had only two matches announced for it, everything else was shoddily put together, the main event was underwhelming and changed halfway through the show, and the show ran short. It was the lowest bought WWE PPV in history, and I was one of the suckers who payed full price.

Another bad WWE investment was when I went to see the Fastlane PPV live. Several matches had confusing and counter intuitive endings, crowd favorites lost frequently, there was only one good technical match on the card and the main event featuring WCW legend Bill Goldberg lasted 23 seconds. 23 seconds! Universally panned, and I payed almost $200 to be there!

I bought a bottle of champagne and had the brilliant idea to throw it over to one of my friends. 

Turns out he isn't that great of a catcher.

Buying the 40$ Arkham Knight season pass when the game was first released. It made me never trust season passes again. I usually wait for a game of the year edition now if I really want to play something.

When I was a kid, I ended up buying Crash Tag Team Racing for every platform it was on, I liked it that much. Not so much nowadays....

I ended up buying my grandparents 2 50$ gift cards to Target for Christmas, only to see the cards sticking out under their filing cabinet about a year later.:D

• Brohoof 1

College textbooks. I'm trying to make the most of them, but I can't believe I spent roughly $80 on "A Book on C." It's not even great as a reference book when the standard library and posix API is already really well documented. I also bought Designing Interfaces for UI class; it's currently acting as a $60 flyswatter.

Destiny. What a massive waste of money, time, and existence. I should have known it owuld be terrible, considering it is an Activision product, but I still cannot believe that Bungie has fallen so far. The game was an endless grind for nothing worthwhile, no story whatsoever, nothing much to do and...well, the graphics were nice at least. Then of course the DLC started coming out and that DLC actually was locking off base features of the original game. At that point I never looked back. Yet, some people are actually shocked that they are doing the same exact stuff to Destiny 2. I am glad I did not make the same mistake again.

• Brohoof 1

Professional acting conservatory cost about $15 grand. I've yet to make that back in acting. 

Same exact program at the same acting school now costs $43,000 now so there's that. Not bad for an unaccredited subjective art school.

• Brohoof 1

Dumbest way? Well, on a f**king scammer, It's a good thing I'm eligible for my money back. Other than that I'm more cautious than ever now when it come to buying things from any websites.