Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Era or Year do you think is interesting?

DiscordisChaos11

I find the art, music and media of the 1950s and 60s to be pretty interesting, the pulp magazine style of comics that originated in that era has always fascinated me, and the crazy "World of tomorrow" look that the technology of that time period had is a major inspiration to me as an artist. Not to mention the 60s brought us the Adam West Batman tv show, which was a gift to all of humanity.

• Brohoof 2

While I find all historical periods interesting, modern history have always been my favorite era to study, both as an career and hobby. Basically everything from early 16th century to the late 20th, time when modern society started to form. Enlightenment, capitalism, industrialism, all that juicy stuff...

• Brohoof 2

I guess mine are comparatively recent, but 80s, 90s and early 00s culture intrigues me. Many of my interests come from the past 35 years, And I've experienced much of the latter two decades, yet I always find something new, a different way to look at those years now that I have an adult context. Maybe it's nostalgia. Maybe things were objectively better in some ways back then. But I always look back on stuff from the early 00s, 90s and 80s with a bit more reverence. 

That and the music was great. Speed metal, power metal, thrash metal, post-thrash, progressive metal, melodic death metal, goth metal, post-hardcore, metalcore. All got their starts in those decades. 

\m/ 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 2

I'd say I'm really interested in any era up until the 19th century. It's not that I'm not interested in the history since then... It's just I guess I have these great images of the music, architecture, and art from the early ages that I'm much more interested in. Like Romanticism in music has never been my favorite. Even though there's a lot of complexity to it and I acknowledge that, I don't care to listen to a lot of it.

The Baroque era is a real highlight of music and architecture for me. I don't just say that because I'm an oboist, but it's hard to not note that. The Baroque sound as a whole is beautiful to me. Of course, I love all of that for the Renaissance and before, as well. I don't speak as much of architecture because I've never really studied it, but I do much more appreciate the architectural styles from Ancient Greece through perhaps into the Classical era Europe so much more than anything since.

With that said, I do find myself really attracted to music around the time of Debussy, Ravel, and Stravinsky (the early 1900s, mainly). I can not deny that some of their music is just as beautiful as before, if not even more. I also have some interest in the 1960s/70s. As if I haven't made this clear a hundred thousand times, that is my favorite era of pop music. It was also a big time of fights for civil rights, which, of course, is super important. I try not to romanticize the aforementioned eras too much for obvious reasons. I think perhaps what drives me to study these earlier eras is, aside from the beautiful music and architecture, they're so distant, and in reality, we "know" a lot less about them than we think we do. That makes them more interesting.

• Brohoof 4

Mine would be the 1980s because that was the decade I spent the first years of my life and childhood. It was a time when the silver age of animation was upon us including the beginnings of My Little Pony and Transformers, a worldwide recession due to sagging oil prices affecting everything, and when things weren't as complicated as they are now in terms of technology.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Nightfallicious Gloamiscus said:

The 1990's

I hear so much about the era being great, but I was born in 1998 so I never got to fully experience it...

Tell me, 90's kids, what made the 90's so great, be honest with me, TELL ME EVERYTHING!!!!!

Well, not only was this the golden age of animation, the cartoons being beautifully hand drawn, the writing was brilliant and deep. It was entertaining for kids and adults. It also marked the beginning of Anime's entry into the west.

Video gaming had so much hype and so much passion behind it. developers and manufacturers gave their all, and everything looked cutting edge. 

The music, was a bit of a mixed bag. Grunge had taken rock and metal, and made them depressing. Pop music was getting dumbed down. But over seas we had new extreme genres being made or old ones making a come back. And stateside, you had a close nit underground of great bands that kept the scene alive through the dark times. 

The culture was more care free. There was no such thing as political correctness. Terrorism and xenophobia weren't on our radar.  Few were concerned the world would end. Everyone was confident that the next generation woudl have it better. It was an optimistic time. A cultural renascence.

I mourn for those who will never know it's glory. 

• Brohoof 4

1865-1945 is where most of my interest is and I'm very passionate about that time period. I generally focus on the military history like the American Civil War, WWI and WWII, but still enjoy learning about several other aspects of life in that time. 

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Nightfallicious Gloamiscus said:

The 1990's

I hear so much about the era being great, but I was born in 1998 so I never got to fully experience it...

Tell me, 90's kids, what made the 90's so great, be honest with me, TELL ME EVERYTHING!!!!!

I was born in the late 80s, a decade before you. I understand I was too young to really comprehend what was going on through the first half of the 90s, but I will say I never, ever really thought that the era was particularly amazing. I think that the time is overglorified big time nowadays. I do not understand it for even one second. The only medium I really think was at its best was video games in the late 90s, but I will say that greatness overlapped well into the 2000s. And today, there are still amazing games being made. I'm sure I enjoy less games now than back then solely because I'm no longer a child who is amused by everything you put in front of me.

I will tell you as a "90s kid", I think more highly of the early to mid 2000s than I do the 90s.

• Brohoof 2

I really love the early 20th century from the teens through the '20s. I'm also fond of the 1950s through the '80s, with a special interest in 1983 because it seems to have a little of everything that interests me from that general area of time.

• Brohoof 2

Usually what comes to mind is the 1920s-1960s. When retro was considered modern, I've always wondered what it would be like living in that time period. Also technically being a 90s kid, I was born in '97 though my memory of the 90s is fuzzy. I wish I could experience the 90s as a kid, rather than a little baby.

• Brohoof 1

I found medieval, renaissance, 20s-50's  (age of the jazz-rock) eras interesting. 

• Brohoof 1

The 1950-70s if only to have seen Walt Disney himself appear on television every week via the Anthology program called "Disneyland" talking about the theme park and other topics about his company.

• Brohoof 1

I would like to visit the Medieval era. I am very fascinated with the way they built castles and such. Would also like to see and live as the people did. Would be interested in where I would fit in the pyramid. ^-^

Also, @Nightfall Gloam, I was born in 91' so I got experience a little bit of it. I found a video recently actually of all the cool stuff that was 'hip' or big in the 90's era. Its in the spoiler below. I myself only can remember maybe 75 percent of things they reference in the video so have a look and see if you recognize anything ^-^

Spoiler

• Brohoof 3