Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Is EG Becoming? (RANT)

MLPReshaStorm

Hey guys I’m wondering if anyone else is becoming more and more disappointed in EG. I really loved the movies. Not gonna lie, ever since the specials came out, Equestria Girls is feeling like a dud. From Legend of Everfree, it just doesn’t feel like it’s following the storyline. I’m really disappointed that Flash has had so little screen time. LoE was the first interaction between Flash and Sunset, and now he hardly has any screen time. He doesn’t interact with Sunset at all now, and I really thought there would be a lot more of that. Yes, I know this is partly shipping, but I really do love Flash as a character, not just a potential love interest for Sunset. Honestly, I don’t like what this is becoming. It’s not at all like the movies, and I wish Twilight had more one on one time with Sunset. At this point, I’m surviving off of fan fiction (mostly my own) when it comes to interest in EG. I don’t even really watch anything anymore. I watch the YouTube series, but it’s not that great. That being said, I am excited for Forgotten Friendship to come out. I’m not going to stop loving MLP or EG, but I’m definitely not happy about where it’s going. I’m happy MLP is staying true to itself, but it feels like EG is totally different. I don’t know if Hasbro will redeem the show back to what it should be, but EG is...definitely going in the wrong direction. Maybe, we could do something like a protest in hopes to get the EG we all know and love back? I know it’s incredibly far fetched, I don’t even know how to do it, but if we’re gonna be in this fandom, we’re gonna fight for it’s glory! Who’s with me? :sneer::squee::fiery: I feel like one of those people in movies who start a rebellion against dark forces and save the world :adorkable: but seriously, let’s save the fandom! :orly:

• Brohoof 1

I always had Equestria Girls at a C rating. Decent in some aspects mainly being Sunset Shimmer story arc but everything else is gimmicky and filler.

Maybe if it was more toward mirroring W.I.T.C.H comics where the characters have to deal with juggling their magical girl hero side and their high school lives. Then have conflict between the two like having bad grades because the magical girl hero side is demanding. Conflicts with their parents for sneaking out to do their hero work.

Though Flash should be put to the side and let the HuMane 5 do some romance for once.

If you were expecting Equestria Girls to be the next big thing then I wouldn't bet on it. Like FiM, EQG was written for an intended audience and from what I understand, they are happy with it because it appeals to them. As such, Hasbro won't allow the writers to feature certain ideas as it would go against the image the company wishes to imply--that's where the fandom likes to step in. Me? I like EQG the way it is though I won't deny that it does have flaws that hold it back, but I can overlook those flaws so long as I continue enjoying the experience.

• Brohoof 6

I've actually always had a fondness for the EQG series.  It may not be the main series, but it does give me a fix of more FiM related content.  I disagree with those who think EQG is better than the main series, but I still like it a great deal.  As for the new shorts, I kind of like them.  Maybe full episodes would be better, but these shorts aren't bad and provide a regular stream of new content.  I'd love for another movie to be made more than anything, but in the meantime I don't mind what we're getting as it's better than having no new EQG related content.  There's a good chance that EQG will never be adequately concluded, which saddens me, but I'd rather cross that bridge if and when we get there.  Maybe Hasbro and DHX have a plan to tie things up before moving on to the new series.

• Brohoof 2

So far, i enjoyed all the shorts after Legend of Everfree (that movie is bad),:sunshower: EQG grows on me again. 

EQG right now is... directionless but i highly enjoy the impacts of Humane 6 magics to human world, the humane 7 chemistry feel so organic that made FIM a bit envy (i am looking at you, miss Glimmer :oneheckofahat:) so i dont mind about the direction that much.

But hey, we will get 'Forgetten Friendship' next month, it could be another next turning point of EQG, who know?:oneheckofahat:

Forgotten Friendship is pretty much the first time I'm excited for a new EG since the specials! These shorts aren't really doing much for me. They're pretty boring, and they haven't given Spike or Luna any yet!

I like these shorts a lot more than "Legend of Everfree" or the "Magic" specials. They're not quite Rainbow Rocks or even Friendship Games, but they're fun and actually explore the things I find interesting about this world. And I've gotta be honest, I really don't care about the romantic elements, and I'm pretty biased against Flash hooking up with Sunset, so that stuff doesn't bother me at all. I'm excited for the one-hour special simply because it might feature certain things I've been wanting to see, and the high quality of these shorts (in my opinion) has given me reason to hope. I watch My Little Pony in large part because it's funny, and I'm glad Equestria Girls is returning to that point. 

• 2 weeks later...

With Movie Magic and Forgotten Friendship I actually feel they're going in the right direction again after LoE, which I didn't like all that much. It's still better than the first movie, but nowhere near as good as RR, and also not as good as FG IMO. I do think Princess Twilight and Sunset should get more interaction, but that's really just because I'm a rabid supporter of that ship and I need all the fuel for it I can get.

• Brohoof 1

After "Forgotten Friendship" I feel especially good about the shorts, because while that also has some stuff I wanted from this series it felt a bit more redundant, like, I know Sunset's friends are important to her. Show me something new. Those shorts did a lot more to explore the main characters in mundane situations, which is a lot of what I want from Equestria Girls. 

10 hours ago, KatonRyu said:

I do think Princess Twilight and Sunset should get more interaction, but that's really just because I'm a rabid supporter of that ship and I need all the fuel for it I can get.

5a924c75e18f5_forgottenfriendshipblush.thumb.png.ba667adc24bd49a09f63b3cc159d8760.png

• Brohoof 2

Every time I try to watch EG, I just find myself wishing I was watching MLP: FIM. Magic and fantasy worlds interest me more. Never been into highschool drama elements in shows. I haven't noticed any dicline in EG though, it seems the same as it always was. Besides Flash not getting enough screen time, what are you criticisms? I'm curious. 

Edited by Total Lunar Eclipse

18 hours ago, Total Lunar Eclipse said:

Every time I try to watch EG, I just find myself wishing I was watching MLP: FIM. Magic and fantasy worlds interest me more. Never been into highschool drama elements in shows. I haven't noticed any dicline in EG though, it seems the same as it always was. Besides Flash not getting enough screen time, what are you criticisms? I'm curious. 

These probably aren't the same criticisms as the original poster, who seems to be more fond of the high school elements than I am, but I felt the first three movies all had more or less the same degree of charm and humour as early Friendship is Magic, whereas the fourth movie was a lot more dry and unambitious, last year's summer "specials" were a lot more shallow and banal than any of the movies, and there was a brief period with the shorts where the animation was shoddily outsourced half the time. I've kinda liked the latest stuff, however, even though I felt that this latest special had some unsatisfying pacing. 

• Brohoof 2

On 2/25/2018 at 6:41 AM, AlexanderThrond said:

After "Forgotten Friendship" I feel especially good about the shorts, because while that also has some stuff I wanted from this series it felt a bit more redundant, like, I know Sunset's friends are important to her. Show me something new. Those shorts did a lot more to explore the main characters in mundane situations, which is a lot of what I want from Equestria Girls. 

5a924c75e18f5_forgottenfriendshipblush.thumb.png.ba667adc24bd49a09f63b3cc159d8760.png

Yes! This moment had me shouting, "Shipping confirmed!" at my monitor and feeling like a general dork. SunLight is canon now as far as I'm concerned.

• Brohoof 2

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:41 AM, AlexanderThrond said:

I would have to agree with that; actually. While some of the earlier shorts were definitely rough, a lot of the "Better Together" shorts and even the Choose Your Own Adventure stories are giving some much needed time and even development for the characters that needed it the most; the HuMane 6. Sunset has plenty of development already, but I found that the shorts were of surprising quality.

Character development is key here.

• Brohoof 3

6 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

I would have to agree with that; actually. While some of the earlier shorts were definitely rough, a lot of the "Better Together" shorts and even the Choose Your Own Adventure stories are giving some much needed time and even development for the characters that needed it the most; the HuMane 6. Sunset has plenty of development already, but I found that the shorts were of surprising quality.

Character development is key here.

I also found a surprisingly high number of them genuinely funny, which is one of the biggest things I look for from this franchise. The character development is kinda minor, but I was really enthusiastic to just have the minutiae of these characters' lives explored more. Despite what many people say, I do believe they are strong enough to elevate any setting. 

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

I also found a surprisingly high number of them genuinely funny, which is one of the biggest things I look for from this franchise. The character development is kinda minor, but I was really enthusiastic to just have the minutiae of these characters' lives explored more. Despite what many people say, I do believe they are strong enough to elevate any setting. 

That I do agree with. If given enough time to just be themselves without Sunset to prop them up, they can be legitimate characters on their own.

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

That I do agree with. If given enough time to just be themselves without Sunset to prop them up, they can be legitimate characters on their own.

I mean, they're largely pretty similar to characters I already really enjoy from Friendship is Magic, so I'd certainly expect as much. 

• Brohoof 1

Forgotten Friendship was the kind of special that was needed to remind audiences of how far Equestria Girls has come along since it first began back in 2013 and that the spin-off still has many stories to tell. I know Sunset was the main focus but it was done to give her closure on her past--it took over four years to see that moment--yet also reminding us that she still has some improvements to make with her personality. We also were given a new understanding of Trixie as a character and Wallflower was a different kind of antagonist. While other villains sought power, domination, and even prestige, Wallflower desired revenge, and one could understand where she was coming from.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

The beach scene in "Forgotten Friendship" is where I hopped on the train to NOPEland. Especially Applejack's outfit. It wasn't a bikini, but came pretty darn close. (Sorry if I sound like a snowflake). I almost finished watching Applegeek's reaction video, but returned only to find YouTube took it down :okiedokieloki:

I will admit, Sci-Twi's selfie drone is a real-thing - and your first look at artificial intelligence/machine learning in EQG.

Edited by Shabb3r

Well what do you want? I personnaly see the EG series as a way for Hasbro to keep the young girl's public and not only the brony community. EG is evolving more and more into a series with Highschool girls you know the kind of series?  Also speaking about that, how is Sunset standing that? I mean she already went through something similar with Celestia's teachings, the poor girl has to go through it again :lol:

• Brohoof 1

On 3/15/2018 at 1:40 PM, Shabb3r said:

The beach scene in "Forgotten Friendship" is where I hopped on the train to NOPEland. Especially Applejack's outfit. It wasn't a bikini, but came pretty darn close. (Sorry if I sound like a snowflake). I almost finished watching Applegeek's reaction video, but returned only to find YouTube took it down :okiedokieloki:

I will admit, Sci-Twi's selfie drone is a real-thing - and your first look at artificial intelligence/machine learning in EQG.

I'm not a huge fan of that special, but it does get better after that. 

The main problem with EG is that they've taken the characters and limited them.  In Equestria these characters have taken on major foes, Discord, Changlings, T-Rec... none of which can have the equivalent in the CHS world.  In Equestria the cast can go anywhere in that world, in the world of CHS they don't have that freedom (except for Sunset the others all have parents) so you are stuck with high school stories.  That can work, but only on a limited basis.  I'm amazed that no parent showed up after the first two demon transformations and the Dazzlings attack.  A battle like the one she had with T-rec would take out a few city blocks at least and that wouldn't be so easy to ignore.   Equestria is a land of open adventure, the world of CHS is high school.  

By the way, I miss WITCH.

Edited by Skytower

• 2 years later...