Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Why The Leak Makes Sense...And Doesn't

HereComesTom

I realize there are a lot of threads about this kind of thing, but I wanted to talk about some reasons why the leaked information makes sense and also why it doesn't.

To be honest, my first reaction was hoping it was all a hoax.  Then I started thinking about ways in which it makes perfect sense to reboot the franchise, and ways in which it makes no sense at all to do a reboot.

I compiled my thoughts and feelings into this video; I think a lot of bronies are feeling the same way as I am.  But one thing I ended with that I'm not seeing much of, is hope that the G-4 story can continue in books and comics, even if the TV show has a finale---it worked for Star Trek, didn't it?

• Brohoof 2

Given the unexpected succes of this series, it's possible they are gonna treat it the same way as Transformers G1, aka lots of spin-off comics and merchandise (possibly a spin-off series?), for the older fans to enjoy.

I get how you feel, dude, it will be sad for me too seeing the series ending :(. In a way though it's better for it to go like this, instead of becoming tired and not enjoyable like a lot of shows, cartoons and not,tht goes on for more then a decade. Besides, the ending of one thing, can be the beginning of something just as great B)

• Brohoof 2

It's kinda sad because FIM is special in so many levels, and seeing it go.... the reactions are understandable. However, toys first, and I understand the toy sales have been decreasing. Not only that, toys need a rebranding like many other franchises, and FIM is close to a decade by now. 

But we have to address the issue of that G5 being known by leaks, and while they ARE planning to end FiM by 2020, we have to wait official word. Not because of "These leaks are a hoax, even though there where close to finished S8 episodes" nonsense, but because it's a big time lapse, and plans tend to change during these long periods. Make no mistake though, G5 will come one day

• Brohoof 3

There are reasons that they make sense, and reasons they don't. We don't know what's gonna happen yet, as there is still a lot of time in between now and the supposed release date of g5. Hasbro hasn't even officially announced anything yet. 

There are too many possibilities of what could happen with all the g5 stuff. Hasbro may even be paying attention to our reactions to see what the fandom thinks about it. We DO buy toys as well.

(At least I do...:D)

• Brohoof 2

26 minutes ago, Rhythm Red said:

There are reasons that they make sense, and reasons they don't. We don't know what's gonna happen yet, as there is still a lot of time in between now and the supposed release date of g5. Hasbro hasn't even officially announced anything yet. 

There are too many possibilities of what could happen with all the g5 stuff. Hasbro may even be paying attention to our reactions to see what the fandom thinks about it. We DO buy toys as well.

(At least I do...:D)

Well, before I've realized, now I got over 15 horse toys. If you asked me if I'm planning to get merchandise four years ago, I'd say no. Now look at my room :D . Sure, got some amiibos, funkos of Daredevil, but 'em horses dominate my room. AND LET'S NOT GET STARTED WITH THE COMICS AND BOOKS 

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Well, before I've realized, now I got over 15 horse toys. If you asked me if I'm planning to get merchandise four years ago, I'd say no. Now look at my room :D . Sure, got some amiibos, funkos of Daredevil, but 'em horses dominate my room. AND LET'S NOT GET STARTED WITH THE COMICS AND BOOKS 

Totally me. I never thought I'd get any merch, and look at me now! I recently bought myself a Rainbow Dash plushie, too. So I'm still going...:please:

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Rhythm Red said:

Totally me. I never thought I'd get any merch, and look at me now! I recently bought myself a Rainbow Dash plushie, too. So I'm still going...:please:

Still, we can't assume we are big income for Hasbro unless we buy everything pony in every store in sight, and not everyone is crazy enough to do that

• Brohoof 1

16 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Still, we can't assume we are big income for Hasbro unless we buy everything pony in every store in sight, and not everyone is crazy enough to do that

I dunno, man. I think we're a bigger source of income than we tend to give ourselves credit for.

I'm sure Hasbro will consider us in their G5 plans, because they wouldn't just throw away a portion of their toy sales. Remember, we were a part of the reason why FiM succeeded. And we did bring them a lot of cash they never planned on getting.

19 minutes ago, mellifluous said:

And I'm over here hoping that the leaks are fake ;-;

I feel you. I'm new to the fandom, which makes it hard for me to deal with, but think about it... What if G5 turns out to be better? And you wouldn't want FiM to drop in quality, would you? I would rather it stay a series remembered for 9 GREAT seasons, rather than a series remembered for overstaying it's welcome. I have faith that the team behind G5 will deliver.:)

• Brohoof 1

28 minutes ago, Rhythm Red said:

I feel you. I'm new to the fandom, which makes it hard for me to deal with, but think about it... What if G5 turns out to be better? And you wouldn't want FiM to drop in quality, would you? I would rather it stay a series remembered for 9 GREAT seasons, rather than a series remembered for overstaying it's welcome. I have faith that the team behind G5 will deliver.:)

Funny thing. I had the same anxiety back with Twilicorn, when I joined the fandom mid S3. I mean, Magical Mystery Cure had the feel, and WAS going to be the series finale. Look now, I'm a brony for over half it's run :lol:. But yeah, I'd personally be happy if FiM lasted one more season than the allegedly planned, as I know the movie sequel has been scrapped :( , or a special using Toon Boon Harmony to close the series :adorkable:. Still, we have to wait until official word states the actual plans, as nothing in the leaks is guaranteed to happen as planned. For what is possible, G5 may come a year later. At least it's evident the writers behind FIM are behind G5, so I have confidence they'll make another show worth watching, and not some basic girly show as many people still expect MLP to be :dash: 

• Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Funny thing. I had the same anxiety back with Twilicorn, when I joined the fandom mid S3. I mean, Magical Mystery Cure had the feel, and WAS going to be the series finale. Look now, I'm a brony for over half it's run :lol:. But yeah, I'd personally be happy if FiM lasted one more season than the allegedly planned, as I know the movie sequel has been scrapped :( , or a special using Toon Boon Harmony to close the series :adorkable:. Still, we have to wait until official word states the actual plans, as nothing in the leaks is guaranteed to happen as planned. For what is possible, G5 may come a year later. At least it's evident the writers behind FIM are behind G5, so I have confidence they'll make another show worth watching, and not some basic girly show as many people still expect MLP to be :dash: 

You said it.

I would rather it end with 10 seasons than 9. A nice, round number. Though I could actually see them deciding to continue g4 for longer, too. EVERYTHING is still up in the air. And to me, I would be ok with any outcome.

I would be very sad to see FiM end, for sure, but it has to end sometime. And I'd rather it end while it's still good.

Besides, I'm going to graduate high school before MLP ends. We still have a TON of pony left. The fandom isn't going anywhere, either.

I just want Twilight to still be a unicorn in g5. But hey, no matter what, we still have Dashie!:wub:

Edited by Rhythm Red
  • Brohoof 1

On 2/4/2018 at 8:42 PM, Rhythm Red said:

I've bought very little merch---unless you count books; I got the Tails of Equestria sourcebook for the tabletop game, the first six mane-six-specific chapterbooks by G.M. Barrow, and I bought one toy to use as a drawing reference.  Besides that, most of my toy-purchases have been either for Toys for Tots or for a pegasister I know IRL.

On 2/4/2018 at 9:49 PM, Steve Piranha said:

At least it's evident the writers behind FIM are behind G5, so I have confidence they'll make another show worth watching, and not some basic girly show as many people still expect MLP to be :dash:

Yeah...TBH rebooting the continuity means the characters they have, now have opportunities to start over and grow again.  They could also change their backstories, ambitions, and even their families---we could see what Applejack would've been like if her parents were still alive, for instance.

On 2/4/2018 at 9:56 PM, Rhythm Red said:

I just want Twilight to still be a unicorn in g5. But hey, no matter what, we still have Dashie!:wub:

Actually, you might want to reserve judgment until you've read my fanfic---I'm writing a kind of a proof-of-concept fanfic right now called Brand New Day---it's kind of like my attempt at writing a believable pilot for G-5, or at least it started that way, but I'm putting my own experiences into it more and more to the point where I'm not sure what it is anymore---the only thing I'm certain that it is anymore is that it's an attempt at a "what if" scenario where Twilight is an earth pony with a very different backstory from her G-4 counterpart, and the overall theme is Family instead of Friendship.

• Brohoof 1

As to Pinkie, she's grown, too. Look at, for example Feeling Pinkie Keen (S1), Baby Cakes (S2), Too  Many Pinkies (S3), Pinkie Pride (S4). At the start she was like the song lyrics

"When I was young, my heart was young then too

And anything that it would tell me,

That's the thing that I would do"

She couldn't define "consequences" if you spotted her a dictionary. Now, she's still happy-go-lucky & the occasional Troll but she's matured. A Lot. The only one who hasn't matured a great deal is AJ, but she was by far the most mature to start with. Now, her friends have  grown to match her. When is the last time Dash boasted or Rarity used her fainting couch? 

There's an old show Biz expression "always leave them wanting more". S9 is the end? It's time & I look forward to G5 with guarded optimism

Edited by sweetolebob18
  • Brohoof 1

On 2/8/2018 at 7:04 PM, sweetolebob18 said:

There's an old show Biz expression "always leave them wanting more". S9 is the end? It's time & I look forward to G5 with guarded optimism

How would you feel if they kept the story of FiM going in books and comics?

• 6 months later...
On 2/13/2018 at 5:29 PM, HereComesTom said:

How would you feel if they kept the story of FiM going in books and comics?

I'd prefer it. I don't read the comics, since I don't live too close to any comic book stores (and I'd be rather embarrassed getting caught reading a pony comic in public), but I'd like to see them make more stories about ponies besides the mane characters, especially the Pillars and the Student Six (and maybe that gardener from Princess Spike! XD I know, wishful thinking) I mean, I'd totally understand if the show truly was ending after Season 9, but honestly, that doesn't mean the universe of G4 should end.

• Brohoof 1

To be frank the story is kind off over, Mane 6 achieved their goals, and the only reason Celestia screwed up so much because she didn't have foresight to replace Shining Armor, spoilers I guess. You can stretch slice of life narrative only so far before it becomes boring, and honestly I don't wan't the show to go the Pokemon route where they released so many seasons that even viewers themselves became so confused that they think Ash slipped into a coma.

Edited by R.D.Dash