Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler How to remake Fallout: Equestria with all canon to date

Queen Cassie

So, we all know and love Fallout Equestria. It's one of the most famous stories in the entire fandom, right up there with things like Cupcakes, My Little Dashie, and Past Sins. Just about everyone who's a pony fan reads it sooner or later. It spawned numerous side stories; an entire fandom all of its own for just Fallout Equestria, including the incredible twice-the-length FOE: Project Horizons.

But the thing is... Fallout Equestria is significantly and substantially out of date. It was written back during the hiatus between season one and season two, for goodness's sake. While it very briefly near the end touched on the idea of Discord (and indeed Project Horizons would go on to include substantial amounts of season two canon) the simple fact is that the show's world has changed.

Season one was the definition of small scale. Nightmare Moon aside, we hardly ever saw the world around Ponyville or outside the view of the Mane Six. We had scarce details; whole swathes of the world were so open to interpretation that Kkat, the author of FOE, was free to paint the canvas with her views. Zebras were chosen as the enemy because they were one of only five creatures even known to exist(the other three, of course, being the ponies, griffons, dragons, and buffalo.) It was easy to make catchy slogans like "Better Wiped than Striped" because she had nothing in her way. They were the most convenient.

But the world of FIM post season seven and post The Movie is an entirely different landscape. We have a map that spans an entire continent and a partial view of two others. We have scads of nations out there, some seen, some not. We've seen all kinds of new creatures, from yaks to hippogriffs to Abyssinian cats to Saddle Arabian horses and so many more. Creatures which one seemed like mostly feral entities, such as the dragons, have proven to have substantial societies. The culture of Equestria has been repeatedly expanded upon with holidays such as Hearth's Warming and Nightmare Night. New alicorns exist, such as Cadance and her daughter Flurry, and of course let's not forget the absolute game changer that is Princess Twilight. The Elements of Harmony have their origins revealed; the pillars of Equestria, Starswirl the Bearded (who wasn't even known to exist until Luna Eclipsed, and his true effects not known till much later) lives in the present alongside his fellow pillars. Even Equestria's technology has been repeatedly shown to vary in such ways that seem to preclude the development towards Fallout-style technologies. There's also the connection to Canterlot High and the human world there.

Spoiler

Even Celestia and Luna's ages have been revealed; they were mere students of Starswirl just 1,130 years prior to the present day.

This canvas is far harder to paint on. So many things about Fallout Equestria have been rendered impossible by canon, from simple things such as the layout of cities (up until the map was first released the show had implied in Applejack's cutie mark story that Manehattan was on the WEST coast, not the east coast) to the whole program of alicorn development (Twilight being an alicorn changes everything. Everything!) Indeed Zebras couldn't possibly be the enemy, now that we know their nation doesn't even exist on the same continent as Equestria. The Mane Six have such a strong friendship bond, far stronger than anything they had in season one, making it excruciatingly difficult to tear them apart as FOE did. The existence of Discord and Starlight Glimmer as forces for good, the physical Hell of Tartarus... the list of game changes goes on and on.

So thus, we're left with a question: how could we remake Fallout Equestria in this landscape? What can we do to cause the current canon to twist in the direction of balefire bombs and global Armageddon? What sort of world might Littlepip or Blackjack see upon leaving their Stables two hundred years afterwards? Can we even do this in a way that works, in a way that incorporates every last game changer ever to come out?

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure this out, and so far I haven't had much success. Thus I turn to you, my fellow pony fans, for assistance. What say you?

• Brohoof 3

I realize that this won't be a very helpful answer, but I think there's no point trying to adapt it to fit canon lore. As you said, it was conceived way before all these details were ever established, so of course it does more than diverge from the show's timeline. However, it is because of this that I think leaving it as it is is the best route. Fallout Equestria is one of the earliest "big" pony fics out there. I really enjoy going back and reading it, because it's like a blast to the past. I reread details and I think, "Man, remember when we thought that?"

It was big because it made a good story out of one big "What if?" Bending over backwards to fill in the blanks feels like it would take the magic out of it. I think it should just remain appreciated for the gem it is, and the world it created on its own.

• Brohoof 8

@Queen Cassie

I was notified that part of the information being shared contained leaked info from season 8. As such I went ahead and spoilered that bit. Please be careful when sharing leaked info please.

Thanks. :)

• Brohoof 3

3 hours ago, GeekySonic said:

I realize that this won't be a very helpful answer, but I think there's no point trying to adapt it to fit canon lore. As you said, it was conceived way before all these details were ever established, so of course it does more than diverge from the show's timeline. However, it is because of this that I think leaving it as it is is the best route. Fallout Equestria is one of the earliest "big" pony fics out there. I really enjoy going back and reading it, because it's like a blast to the past. I reread details and I think, "Man, remember when we thought that?"

It was big because it made a good story out of one big "What if?" Bending over backwards to fill in the blanks feels like it would take the magic out of it. I think it should just remain appreciated for the gem it is, and the world it created on its own.

I got to agree on with you, changing it probably won't most likely make it any better, if anything, it would just take away from what it had to begin with.

14 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

@Queen Cassie

I was notified that part of the information being shared contained leaked info from season 8. As such I went ahead and spoilered that bit. Please be careful when sharing leaked info please.

Thanks. :)

Whoops, sorry. I'd honestly forgotten that was where I got that from.

14 hours ago, GeekySonic said:

11 hours ago, UltimateGhost3 said:

I got to agree on with you, changing it probably won't most likely make it any better, if anything, it would just take away from what it had to begin with.

These are some good points. Leaving it as it is probably does make more sense than trying to finagle it. Anyways, thanks.

Honestly I think FO:E should remain the way it was made, what Kat did with a sparse and undiscovered world was amazing, along with every FO:E side story including Project Horizons, Pink Eyes and Murky Number Seven.

Someone out there could remake/make a side story of FO:E that includes recent MLP lore I'm sure.

I used to think FOE was made after S2 :D. Anyway, FOE is a fantastic blend of two polar opposite franchises, but I think part of it's success, was because of the, at the time, extremely small known lore. Attempting to adapt a side FOE with the current FIM canon is doomed to fail. If someone wanna try, it's best to do so from scratch. One such example is Fallout Equestria Girls by interdimentional alien. One big difference apart from taking place in the human world in place of Equestria, is that it takes place a mere 7 years (if I remember well) after the bombing compared to the over 200 of the original. So, the characters are the canon ones instead of great great great great great..... grandchildren 

You have also to consider that it would add some few extra details, but not much more.
FO:E Takes place after S1 and within S2 i think, and then the war happends, so the setting would still misst Twilight becoming an Alicorn because of the war, but it would also have added sombra's return somehow relevant. The rise of Chrysalis would probably not being possible if the events forced Shining Armor to go to war and maybe getting killed or similar, also since Changelings feeds on positive emotion, they could have starved off because of the negative conflict that excalated.
There still many variabilies that could have happend so the outcomes could be many, such as:

Chrysalis didn't managed to infiltrate canterlot because the fear of war increased security measures.
Chrysalis managed to infiltrated but then canterlot exploded, which could have killed her or mutated her and she lurks the underground crystal caves all alone.
Chrysalis managed to infiltrate but she or her spawn starved for the lack of love.
Sombra returned but found Equestria already in a state of war so the conflict turned into a three way war who ended as usual, but now the crystal empire is a new place to explore
Sombra returnd and managed to almost whipe off both Equestrians and the Zebras who decided to nuke everything at the same time.

As for others:

Dragons could not even care at all, they could still raid the borders for fun while being shot by raiders
Yakyakistan could be still there or also got nuked away somehow and the survivors have become more pimitive. Not real change in there.
Hippogriffs decided to fled when war escalated and became seaponies with higher isolation
Discord statue could have been pulverized by the explosion of canterlot. RiP Discord.
Tartarus gate could have been sealed forever or even if Tirek managed to flee he would have a lot of troubles at absorb magic without getting shot in the face while a weakling.
Glimmer could being nuked away or reunited with sunburst earlier because of the war or have her simple village of communists/raiders and nothing much. My money of her getting nuked.
Poniville would then being enveloped forever by plunderseeds because the tree of harmony is gone or the arcane fallout could have killed off those seeds

Notice that most of the things get a bad end because that's what usually happends in the story.

Edited by Velgarn

13 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

Sombra survives the war and plans to conquer what's left. Chrysalis becomes desperate trying to feed on the love of the Ponies in Equestria. Also, Twilight and friends survive the war.

But is part of the Original Story that they all die.
That's the point of Fallout: the tragedy during war and what legacy they left.

Changelings practically don't exist in KKat Equestria, Crystal Empire doesn't exist as well. Discord doesn't exist ether.

I know there a Fallout Equestria Girls alternative side fic where Twilight gets trapped in EQG world, and you guess it they went full fallout

Edited by Rebellious Rainbow

23 hours ago, Velgarn said:

But is part of the Original Story that they all die.
That's the point of Fallout: the tragedy during war and what legacy they left.

In my defense, I don't like the idea of the Mane 6 playing a factor in the fantasy equivalent of a nuclear war.

4 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

In my defense, I don't like the idea of the Mane 6 playing a factor in the fantasy equivalent of a nuclear war.

But that's part of FOE' s novelty, Mane6 changing to dark situations beyond their control, and how it ultimately changed the world as they know it

50 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

But that's part of FOE' s novelty, Mane6 changing to dark situations beyond their control, and how it ultimately changed the world as they know it

But why do THEY have to be the ones who have to pave the way to the wasteland? Seriously. Couldn't someone else do it?

Edited by heavens-champion

1 hour ago, heavens-champion said:

But why do THEY have to be the ones who have to pave the way to the wasteland? Seriously. Couldn't someone else do it?

I don't think the story would have been as engaging if some other random ponies did it

5 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

This guy get's it.

Fallout isn't an happy setting like MLP, and that's why it perfectly clashes since one is super firendly and happy while the other is rather depressing, but still his characters tries to do something good. When a character well known does something drastic or something happends to him it's more addictive.
If you use lolrandom OC character to do important stuff the story is less interesting and many people would be less interested into reading it.

Edited by Velgarn

24 minutes ago, Velgarn said:

This guy get's it.

Fallout isn't an happy setting like MLP, and that's why it perfectly clashes since one is super firendly and happy while the other is rather depressing, but still his characters tries to do something good. When a character well known does something drastic or something happends to him it's more addictive.
If you use lolrandom OC character to do important stuff the story is less interesting and many people would be less interested into reading it.

Are you saying I don't get it?

4 hours ago, Velgarn said:

This guy get's it.

Fallout Equestria (aka Fallout 3) evolved into Fallout 4 an action shooter RPG, and beyond that it's just an action shooter RPG thats all there is to it, the only sense of morals you will get is from NPC raider gangs, and the second most messed up thing is that fallout is just a video game, remember people hostile targets aren't going to try to argue with you, they will just attack you and then re-spawn. "Your settlement needs your help again, um excuse me my settlement is armed to the teeth  build with guns from toothbrushes, a couple of wood planks, and a few tin cans." The main character cannot die even if they wanted too, they will just re-spawn.

25 minutes ago, Rebellious Rainbow said:

Fallout Equestria (aka Fallout 3) evolved into Fallout 4 an action shooter RPG, and beyond that it's just an action shooter RPG thats all there is to it, the only sense of morals you will get is from NPC raider gangs, and the second most messed p thing is that fallout is just a video game, remember people hostile targets aren't going to try to argue with you, they will just attack you and then re-spawn. "Your settlement needs your help again, um excuse me my settlement is armed to the teeth  build with guns from toothbrushes, a couple of wood planks, a few tin cans." The main character cannot die even if they wanted too, they will just re-spawn.

Because the best parts are from the memory orbs, archives, stories told by survivors not from the fighting scenes. Also using Fallout 3 and 4 as an example instead of the original one is quite a cheap choice. Obviously raiders will not try to reasonate with Pip, they usually don't do that because they are insane, but pipmanages to talk with others during her adventure, even "foes".

Edited by Velgarn

11 minutes ago, Velgarn said:

Because the best parts are from the memory orbs, archives, stories told by survivors not from the fighting scenes. Also using Fallout 3 and 4 as an example of Fallout instead the original one is quite a cheap choice.

The reason I mentioned Fallout 3 because Fallout Equestria is the remake of that videogame just with ponies, your character is born and raised in the vault 101 (Littlepip), then they will go on the quest to find their father (Velvet Remedy), after that all of the way in the end, they would need to do a water purification quest (Pony Pegasus Project, or is that Project Sunshine and Rainbows, I forgot), those memory orbs are partially a n original concept, partially computer terminals. I am sorry if you thought that the game is cheap, because by our modern videogaming standards it kind of is.

9 hours ago, Velgarn said:

Well, you asked why it hould have been them while he explained exactly why.

I just don't like the concept, alright? It's like Twilight Sparkle WILLINGLY becoming a dictator (There's a reason I prefer the dark magic corruption route).

2 hours ago, heavens-champion said:

I just don't like the concept, alright? It's like Twilight Sparkle WILLINGLY becoming a dictator (There's a reason I prefer the dark magic corruption route).

Yes, but one thing is the fact that the concept could still make sense if you combine two things, another thing is that if you like it or not. Anyway we are going off topic.

I have a more substantial suggestion, but just starting off very briefly, I would like to point out a small thing. Some canon events have actually vindicated Fo:E's lore!

(Start at 1:27)

. . . . Yeah. The idea of Pinkie Pie spying and keeping tabs on deeply personal information on everypony suddenly doesn't seem that far-fetched does it?

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2