Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask a South American (Argentinian)

Ando333

Wow, this is interesting and educational idea for thread! Thank you!

So, what the hay is going on in Venezuela? Their oil industry is in crisis, Maduro is meddling with constitution and people are starving...  the list just goes on. What is the current situation and will this madness escalate even more in the near future?

(edited)

To be honest, there's not much I can say that you don't know. Media doesn't talk about Venezuela too much, even here. I doubt I know more than you in that aspect. Basically the oil industry has been a big deal there because the territory has a lot of such resource so USA was always interested in it. I can't really tell if USA did actual bad things there or not, but it probably has a lot to do with it anyway because a lot of venezuelan economical decisions are in response of probable global competition and crisis.

I know I said you can ask me anything about politics and culture, but I can't say a lot about politics outside my own country. I can talk more specifically about culture and society rather than politics themselves, not because I don't know about politics but because I tend to be very skeptical and there's just so much going on in Argentina that I barely have time to think deep about other countries in that regard. Sorry if this disappoints you.

Edited by Ando333
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
7 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

Do you get snow in Argentina? 

I colored (white) the places where there's usually snow in winter. The more you go to the west, the higher the terrain and more mountains you see (hence colder). And the more you go to the south, the colder too since you're going closer to the pole, so in short the more you go to the south-east, the colder it gets and more odds of snowing you will get.

xoph1YA.jpg

Edited by Ando333

I'm currently reading book about Scandinavian immigrants who established several utopian colonies in Argentina and other parts of South America in early 1920's.

It made me wonder, how strong national identity people in Argentina have. Do you identify yourselves as "Argentinians" in general or only as descendant of past generations who lived/moved there earlier?

Also, given that your country is so big measured both in size and population, do people consider themselves more like citizens of certain province or city, rather than citizen of Argentina?

I come from small nation-state which population is under 6 million, so the scale and diversity of your country is really hard me to comprehend :lol:

(edited)
32 minutes ago, Divine plywood said:

I'm currently reading book about Scandinavian immigrants who established several utopian colonies in Argentina and other parts of South America in early 1920's.

It made me wonder, how strong national identity people in Argentina have. Do you identify yourselves as "Argentinians" in general or only as descendant of past generations who lived/moved there earlier?

We identify ourselves as Argentinians. A lot of europeans came to this country approximately between 1880 and 1925 because of something called "agroexporter model" (I'm not sure if this is how you say this in english). It was an economical move that granted free nationality and citizenship to immigrants as long as they compromised to the state working in plantations and farms since the exportation of vegetables was always the main source of money intake of this country. Basically Argentina needed more workers and population to grow so they decided to do this. Many europeans took this opportunity since some of them were running through poverty and wars. Most of these immigrants were italians.

A similar thing happened during WW2. Many european immigrants came here for the sake of escaping to a neutral country that wasnt directly affected by the war in terms of violence and hunger. Again most immigrants were italian as well. 

The italian immigration of those years was so big that the country got influenced a lot by the italian culture. The slang, accent and some customs have italian roots, but nobody speaks italian anymore and we still idenitfy ourselves as Argentinians.

32 minutes ago, Divine plywood said:

Also, given that your country is so big measured both in size and population, do people consider themselves more like citizens of certain province or city, rather than citizen of Argentina?

Our population is actually relatively small, compared to the size of the country. There's only around 40 million people and the country is the biggest hispanic country in the world by far. When we present ourselves to people from other countries, we all say we are from Argentina. We don't specify the province because they are not very known globaly speaking. USA is the only country I know where people respond directly with their state because everyone around the globe knows the states of USA, but that's just USA to be honest. Everyone else has to say the country because not many people recognizes many states and provinces from any other country.

Buenos Aires is probably the only province and city most people would recognize, but there's no point in saying you're from Córdoba, Tierra del Fuego, Neuquén or Chubut without specifying it's Argentina because nobody really knows what country those provinces are from.

Edited by Ando333
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
7 hours ago, IronM17 said:

What is your favorite music?

What is your favorite sport?

What is your favorite food?

I assume by "your" you mean the population of the country in general and not myself.

If that's the case, I'd say most people's favorite music is probably national rock, things like this

Most people's favorite sport is clearly Football/Soccer

Most people's favorite food is probably roast on brick grill with salad. But since  that's kinda hard to do and takes time, it's a thing people usually eat at weekends and what they eat the most during the week is probably spaghetti or pizza, but this can vary a lot.

Edited by Ando333

1 hour ago, IronM17 said:

Nope, I mean you as the person and not the people of Argentina generally. But also interesting to know. 

Oic

8 hours ago, IronM17 said:

What is your favorite music?

I like a bit of a lot tbh. My favorite composer is probably Thomas Bergersen. 
I like epic orchestral background music, techno, trance, country, power metal, many types of rock, some blues, some classic. It's a hard question to answer to be honest.

9 hours ago, IronM17 said:

What is your favorite sport?

I'm not a fan of any but I'd say I prefer Volleyball

9 hours ago, IronM17 said:

What is your favorite food?

Not a fan of food either. I'd say probably potato with bell pepper, carrot and leek and sunflower oil.

• Brohoof 1

Hello Ando!

Who would you say has been the most influential Argentinian author of our era? What fictional stories from your country could you recommend to me? (My Spanish isn't as good as my Portuguese but I don't mind translating some things.)

20 minutes ago, Sunset Rose said:

Hello Ando!

Who would you say has been the most influential Argentinian author of our era? What fictional stories from your country could you recommend to me? (My Spanish isn't as good as my Portuguese but I don't mind translating some things.)

Jorge Luis Borges is clearly the most influential argentinean author of our era, although I honestly haven't read any of his stuff at all. He wrote verses and similar stuff afaik, not novels or long things of that sort.

Sorry to disappoint you but literature and fiction down here feels like more of a "hipster" thing, at least to me. It exists but it doesn't feel especial at all. I haven't read many but they were all pretty boring about real life struggles with some sort of "grey" feeling to it. Argentina has always had this "bitter" and "grey" feeling to it whenever it comes to most kinds of art. Struggles about real life such as job, economy and such. And to be honest none of the messages I've seen in these stories are significant or even good at all imo. I don't remember the names, I only remember "El (h)ijo la libertad".

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

How Argentinians feel about Falkland war back in 1982? Is there still grudge against Britain? I remember reading something about Brits looking for oil in that region couple years ago and Argentina stopping their ships.

Edited by Divine plywood
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
On 13/3/2018 at 9:17 PM, Divine plywood said:

How Argentinians feel about Falkland war back in 1982? Is there still grudge against Britain? I remember reading something about Brits looking for oil in that region couple years ago and Argentina stopping their ships.

Ironic enough, there isn't any relevant grudge against Britain really. If anything, people here see Britain as a good example of a what a civilized country is. The occupation and war on the Falklands was decided by a military dictatorship. It was supported by a big part of the population, but the truth is that the country was in a phase of euphoric and fascistic nationalism, and it isn't like that anymore (Plus that military dictatorship ended right when the war was lost). You would think older people probably still hate Britain but I don't know anyone that really hates it. This country has a very strong nationalism, but not the patriotic kind of nationalism. Nationalism here is more like the "We should be like Britain, if everyone here thought the way I do we could solve all our flaws" kind of nationalism, if that makes any sense. 

I honestly haven't heard about Argentina stopping their ships, but yes, the truth is that Britain probably has some interests behind all of this, but I honestly don't know a lot about it. 

In conclusion, there won't be another war, people don't want it, people don't even hate Britain. I've seen British and european people in general getting scared of Argentina invading the Falklans again. They probably think this because of this global context of Argentina being a third world country (bunch of savages in the minds of most people) that once invaded them and hence would probably invade again, but that's just not it. Nobody capable of basic reasoning would support such a thing here, and if anyone does they're some few madmen.

The biggest trauma of the country comes actually from the military dictatorship itself. It's common seeing our parents and anyone of their generation appreciating the current days where they can vote and not being affraid of talking about politics and stuff. Nobody really talks about how bad the war was, that seems to be just some little aspect of the whole picture for them (except for those that fought in the war obviously).

On 13/3/2018 at 9:28 PM, Steve Piranha said:

Do you know this guy?

Hide contents

dross+2.jpg

Yes, why

Edited by Ando333
  • Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, donttellmum said:

Is it more racist there. 

Not really. There's hardly any racism here compared to USA at least. Although there's probably more hatred towards lower class people in general.

5 minutes ago, donttellmum said:

And you probably don't know but do people have a southern accent.

Huh? I don't know what you mean by southern accent. Southern from what? I know what USA southern accent sounds like but I really doubt this is what you mean.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

How popular tango is in modern-day Argentina and what it means for argentinians? Is it still viewed as 'sinful' and erotic dance it once was, or have it began more everyday and suitable?

For comparison, in Finland tango - or at least our slower and more simple adaptation from the original dance and music style - is still very popular even though it's more common among older people. Songs are more melancholic and dance is not as theatrical and flirtatious as original.

On 31/1/2018 at 6:02 PM, Divine plywood said:

So, what the hay is going on in Venezuela? Their oil industry is in crisis, Maduro is meddling with constitution and people are starving...  the list just goes on. What is the current situation and will this madness escalate even more in the near future?

I am from Venezuela! so anything you want to know I can answer!

Spoiler

the current Venezuelan situation is an inflation above 1000% ... (without exaggeration) the most luxurious hotel in our country (5 stars) is not worth more than $ 10 (although currently should be in 30 or 50 $ due to inflation .) many foreigners would say '' that's not much money '' and indeed outside the country it is not ... but here... it's many money, but even because it costs to get dollars ... I had to work making commissions to feed to my family ...
the economic problem in venezuela exists because the rulers take money from the country's funds (say gold, oil, money, some other ... you know, that support that gives value to any currency) because our currency depends on the dollar while more funds take our currency is worth less than the dollar, making everything become more expensive, the salary is miserable (so many people get or go hungry ... or find a way to get dollars ... of not getting dollars to those who resort to theft, prostitution or having a sugar daddy) there are those who have family abroad to help them, but not all of us have the same luck ... in my case I earn my life... drawing, which is ironic since before my family did not take much importance to my drawings. :yay: 

there is insecurity, the streets are disgusting, education is getting worse, medicines are not available ... etc, etc, etc ... what is expected for the future? there will be elections soon, but it does not help much taking into account that the government cheats to win ...Venezuelans have only a couple of exits ... expect a miracle, emigrate or wait for some intervention from the United States (something that many Venezuelans expect but this part of the matter I do not understand very well.)

In short, let's not talk about sad things, right now I would like to clarify a debate that my family and I had with respect to Argentina ... touching the theme of the Malvinas again.
speaking in terms of property, does the Malvinas legally belong to Argentina or Great Britain? 
According to a video that I saw some time ago, he belonged first to Great Britain, where he embarked and said '' this is mine ''. Nobody lived there then, then half was from Great Britain and the other half from Spain that he decided to buy, then Argentina claimed the property to correspond territorially and then there was the fight between Great Britain and Argentina ... that in summary according to the video ... but for sure, who owns the Malvinas?
You can answer in Spanish or in English so that everyone can read the answer :D

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
8 hours ago, Divine plywood said:

How popular tango is in modern-day Argentina and what it means for argentinians? Is it still viewed as 'sinful' and erotic dance it once was, or have it began more everyday and suitable?

For comparison, in Finland tango - or at least our slower and more simple adaptation from the original dance and music style - is still very popular even though it's more common among older people. Songs are more melancholic and dance is not as theatrical and flirtatious as original.

Huh? Sorry if I'm being ignorant but as far as I'm concerned, tango was never seen as a "sinful" and erotic dance here. Yes, it is kinda "explicit" in some ways but it has always been popular here. If anything, it's probably less popular now than before. Our generation doesn't really like or care about tango tbh. I for instance like some piano versions, I don't like the singing style tango usually has. Our grandparents and parents generations prefer it, but nowadays it's more like an oldie thing.

Also the lyrics of tango songs here are always melancholic too. Even though the dances might be a bit "abrupt", the lyrics usually picture a frustrated love.

7 hours ago, Berry-Bliss-Sundae said:

touching the theme of the Malvinas again.
speaking in terms of property, does the Malvinas legally belong to Argentina or Great Britain? 
According to a video that I saw some time ago, he belonged first to Great Britain, where he embarked and said '' this is mine ''. Nobody lived there then, then half was from Great Britain and the other half from Spain that he decided to buy, then Argentina claimed the property to correspond territorially and then there was the fight between Great Britain and Argentina ... that in summary according to the video ... but for sure, who owns the Malvinas?
You can answer in Spanish or in English so that everyone can read the answer :D

I honestly have no idea who legally owns it. As far as I'm concerned this decision is under the UN and as far as I understand, it says it belongs to the UK.

And apparently nobody seems to know the real story either. I only know a bit of what the two sides say.

The UK Story: We found the islands just like any other island and piece of land we found durnig the 19 century and claimed it because nobody found it before, so it's ours. Anyone saying it's theirs and not ours is talking nonsense because we literally found it first and nobody claimed it before us either.
Argentina invaded them in 1982 so we did what we had to do, defend our territory.

The Argentina Story: After our independence in 1816 we started defining the limits of our territory. We found the Malvinas (Falklands) and claimed them but didn't have the time to inhabitate them yet. Same thing happened with, for instance, the Patagonia. It took us decades to integrate all these territories to the republic. The UK invaded Argentina (Buenos Aires) twice (1806 and 1807), and tried to take control over all of SA from different spots and ways, so we assume they took the Falklands in order to spy and have easy access to our territory for potential future invasions. 
We fell under a military dictatorship from other reasons and this dictatorship decided to take what is really ours by force because the UN will never listen to us. It's not like they will travel all the way down here and attack us anyway lol (they did).

I don't know which is true, to be honest. Maybe it is true that the UK found them first and legitly claimed them. But I also believe that, if that's the case, there were obviously secondary intentions to it. There's a reason the UK claimed a lot of inhabitated land masses during the 19th century. It was a time of colonizations and the UK did this a lot in order to expand its territory in other places. I believe, no matter who is right and who is wrong in the above two stories, that the intentions of the UK down there were to indirectly control Argentina and its nearest countries, because thats literally what they did during all that century, and them claiming the Falklands wasn't a coincidence, it was just more of the same, but this however doesn't mean they don't legally own it, maybe they do, that's why I don't really have an opinion about it. 

Whenever I'm asked about it, I just shrug. I don't think there's anything to do about it tbh, and I don't even know who should own them.

Edited by Ando333

That came out little wrong :D when I said sinful and erotic I didn't mean something one could find in strip joints or in some shady bar near the docks. What I meant was more like extravagant and romantic. 

How much competetive dancing and Argentinian everyday tango differ from each other? In Finland normal tango is very boring and flat, people hardly look their dance partner in the eyes whereas competetive tango is very flashy and intimate.

(edited)

That came out little wrong :D when I said sinful and erotic I didn't mean something one could find in strip joints or in some shady bar near the docks. What I meant was more like extravagant and romantic. 

No, I know what you meant.

How much competetive dancing and Argentinian everyday tango differ from each other? In Finland normal tango is very boring and flat, people hardly look their dance partner in the eyes whereas competetive tango is very flashy and intimate.

huh, I honestly have no idea tbh. Tango isn't something most people are into here. When people go out dancing this means going to a rave or some place where you also go drink with loud music and get wasted, just like almost anywhere else on earth. Dancing Tango is something like a sport some few do, it's not something people in general do out of custom. Also Tango here is mostly known and appreciated by its music, not its dance.

I don't know any competitive dance, I don't even think tango is a competitive thing here, or maybe it is but I don't know because again, that's not a thing most people are into. I don't know what to say lol, sorry. 

When we think of Tango we think of things like this

If you tell us "Ok but what about the dance?" we will usually respond "huh idk lol a friend of a friend of mine does that i  think"

Edited by Ando333
  • Brohoof 1