Steve Piranha

Them's Fighting Herds trailer and official release date

Recommended Posts

Hi guys, I'm just leaving this here. Figured many of you would be interested

Here are the characters and their voice actors 

medium.png

Edited by Steve Piranha
  • Brohoof 5
  • Thanks 1
  • yay 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God, YES, FINALLY! And it's not even that far away. I actually have Skullgirls too, so I could unlock some stuff. I'm so happy!

 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to see that the game has finally reached the last hurdle, that being its official release to the world. I doubt that I will ever play it though as I don't use Steam and I do prefer to play video games on actual video game systems. Still, I am sure people have been looking forward to this for a very long time.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol no offense but this game is going to flop or do very mediocre at best. The warning signs were all there for months.

  • Brohoof 3
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the heads up, I finally got to wishlisting it.

Hopefully I can pick it up after launch

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry, but the roster is much too small for a fighting game which has a decent engine behind it.

It should be releasing with ideally 10, 8 you can stretch, but it's going with 6(+1 forthcoming DLC character right now, IIRC). That's just unacceptable. Vanilla SF2 had 8. MK1 had 7. Both of these Games came out in the early 90s.

I know that a lot of people are saying that it's like Skullgirls. The thing is though, how many people these days still talk about Skullgirls? I think this game has the potential to come in, and just fall straight down because of the lack of content that most fighters have. The Story Mode will not be enough, because most fighting players don't really care about the story behind fighters.

Based on Indie games such as Skullgirls and Divekick, there's just a number of better fighters with better engines and more content out there, that I just don't see this game getting big at all, especially since the hype for this game has died down quiet a bit in the last 2 years.

  • Brohoof 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Allow me to divulge:

  1. Team assembling the game is located across the world, this means updates will be difficult to pull off, leaks are more likely as info has to be transmitted over the net and potential disputes over how everyone is going to get paid are going to a problem.
  2. No one on the team has made a game before or knows how to market or finance. The game is coming out in 2 weeks and we're just getting an official trailer now? It has almost no social media or Twitch presence. Most of the update videos for the game have under 10,000 views on Youtube and the NDA lift on the beta resulted in less than 10 live streams.
  3. Tiny roaster.
  4. The characters are carbon copies of MLP characters, unoriginal and most of their movesets are recycled from Fighting is Magic.
  5. Game has almost no presence in the competitive scene, which more or less makes or breaks a fighting game.
  6. Game is being marketed almost entirely on dynamic music and Lauren Faust, a person who has no relevance in the gaming industry and barely any relevance in the television industry.
  7. Releasing in the same month as Dragonball FighterZ which is being hailed as the best DBZ game ever made and as a great fighting game. It's made by Arc Systems who are more or less the king of this genre now.
  8. Virtually no advertising toward the furry fandom who this game would be better suited for.
  9. Delay after delay.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but this game is going to flop. I called it like 2 years ago and it'll be pretty hilarious to see how right I am. This game will make "a little" money but that's about it. It's not going to be alive for very long, people will forget about it within the first 2 months. I could be wrong, but it would be quite something if I was.

Edited by Key Sharkz
edit
  • Brohoof 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Good to see that the game has finally reached the last hurdle, that being its official release to the world. I doubt that I will ever play it though as I don't use Steam and I do prefer to play video games on actual video game systems. Still, I am sure people have been looking forward to this for a very long time.

Same here. However, they are considering moving to consoles if sales go well. While I'd rather had Hasbro not CDing the original horse one, but I don't see why I shouldn't at least try a game that has those horses in it's core if given the chance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steve Piranha said:

Same here. However, they are considering moving to consoles if sales go well. While I'd rather had Hasbro not CDing the original horse one, but I don't see why I shouldn't at least try a game that has those horses in it's core if given the chance

Then let's hope the game does well. If it ends up getting the additional features via DLC, then we'll know that it was successful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edited the op with a pic of the characters and their voice actors 

looks like Twi found another way to be in the game

:D

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like I'm gonna finally be getting my backers only physical copy at long last. 

With all the points brought up, it's not looking too profitable. But if the game play and production are solid enough, then word of them's fighting herds will spread of it's own accord. 

Have some faith. 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The roster is still hilariously tiny, and they’re still trying to get DLC out of this 

 

Hard pass

 

Maybe for $3-5 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus Christ people, lighten up. It's a happy ending to a passion project that could have ended so tragically. It's a true underdog story, and I'm usually not automatically on board with those.

  • Brohoof 3
  • Smiley 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who hasn't shown a shred of interest in the fighting game genre, I might pick this up just because it looks fun.

  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Steel Accord said:

Jesus Christ people, lighten up. It's a happy ending to a passion project that could have ended so tragically. It's a true underdog story, and I'm usually not automatically on board with those.

It's likely going to end tragically for the reasons I already listed. I don't participation awards out in the gaming industry nor does the rest of the industry. You get rewarded for good ideas, hard work and proper management. Mane6 has made a game with the sole purpose of circumventing copyright where most of the game is recycled assets from the previous game with a team who have no marketing experience where they are spending big chunks of the budget on things like paying Lauren Faust and Tara Strong to come in and voice act rather than improving the core experience. The entire game is literally just reskinned Fighting is Magic, recycled assets and it still took them like what? 3 years to finish it? Despite having tons of assets recycled.

I call it like I see it, this game will be niche success at best, a flop at worst. It will be forgotten in a few weeks and it will be Mane6's only game to date and I'm sure many who funded this will regret getting behind it.

  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game basically amounts to a portfolio project for the team should they consider furthering their careers. Like Key Sharkz, I do not expect the RoI to be there in the end, so looking at this as anything but a way to get their feet in the door with another company would mean the outcome is a failure. It's even more apparent if you accounted for labor expense on a financial statement, something that likely doesn't apply as I'm sure some of them didn't take a salary. 

And that's without judging the game itself through playing it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Key Sharkz said:

It's likely going to end tragically for the reasons I already listed. I don't participation awards out in the gaming industry nor does the rest of the industry. You get rewarded for good ideas, hard work and proper management. Mane6 has made a game with the sole purpose of circumventing copyright where most of the game is recycled assets from the previous game with a team who have no marketing experience where they are spending big chunks of the budget on things like paying Lauren Faust and Tara Strong to come in and voice act rather than improving the core experience. The entire game is literally just reskinned Fighting is Magic, recycled assets and it still took them like what? 3 years to finish it? Despite having tons of assets recycled.

I call it like I see it, this game will be niche success at best, a flop at worst. It will be forgotten in a few weeks and it will be Mane6's only game to date and I'm sure many who funded this will regret getting behind it.

You know, whenever someone says “I call it like I see it.” That usually translates to “I’m being mean, respect me for it.”

You’re criticism is underserved and overblown. The game’s lore is an entirely new world and setting I want to experience. I like the characters and am glad Lauren Faust and the team got to make some new but familiar guys to play as. I will buy this game. I will play it. I will love it. So their mission of making players happy with their product will be a success.

Enjoy your time in grump town where the Pegasi make sure it rains 24/7.

15 hours ago, Jeric said:

The game basically amounts to a portfolio project for the team should they consider furthering their careers. Like Key Sharkz, I do not expect the RoI to be there in the end, so looking at this as anything but a way to get their feet in the door with another company would mean the outcome is a failure. It's even more apparent if you accounted for labor expense on a financial statement, something that likely doesn't apply as I'm sure some of them didn't take a salary. 

And that's without judging the game itself through playing it. 

See above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, what's the point of getting famous voice actors like Tara Strong for this game?  

I mean, I doubt that the game is going to have any market beside the part of the fandom who has forgotten that mugen exist since the whole point of the game seems to be that you can sort squint your eyes and pretend that you're playing fighting is magic so wasting money on famous voice actors seems a bit of a lost cause. 

Edited by Yamet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gameplay and style wise, this seems very much like an 8 bit version of Skullgirls, but with limited content. I am really hoping it’s the case that this is simply a teaser and more content gets released in the future like Skullgirls. The potential and fun are definitely there, but there needs to be a lot more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steel Accord said:

You know, whenever someone says “I call it like I see it.” That usually translates to “I’m being mean, respect me for it.”

Look who's being mean now. You're basically calling me a bully for criticizing a video game. Did I hurt the game's feelings? Here are the facts: they are selling this game for a profit that means criticisms are a fair game. This isn't a charity and the industry itself is far more brutal than I'm being. I am calling this game based on what I see and what I know regarding this industry. You're free to not agree, but don't simply dismiss my criticisms to my face as me just trying to be mean. Stop being a fanboy and look at things a little more objectively.

6 hours ago, Steel Accord said:

You’re criticism is underserved and overblown. The game’s lore is an entirely new world and setting I want to experience. I like the characters and am glad Lauren Faust and the team got to make some new but familiar guys to play as. I will buy this game. I will play it. I will love it. So their mission of making players happy with their product will be a success.

So because you like the game and experience that means anyone else who has criticisms is wrong?

Look the point of any game sold for a profit is to make money. They are not doing it just to make people like you happy sorry to say. If they don't make enough profit the game is a flop and they will not be able to pay everyone for the company. You think Faust and Tara Strong are doing this for free? This is a paycheck and they expect a return. I'm sorry that it offends you to know that people in the industry like getting paid and those of us who can spot a bad idea when we see one like to hold onto our money instead of handing it over to a game that will likely flop.

Seriously know whose criticisms are undeserved? Yours. You're criticizing me over opinions on a video game. You're acting like a fanboy. Calling me "mean" and saying my criticisms are "overblown". Look I've studied the industry and I have been wrong before, full disclosure, but the things I pointed out are usually considered clear warning signs that something will flop.

6 hours ago, Steel Accord said:

Enjoy your time in grump town where the Pegasi make sure it rains 24/7.

Really? Are you so immature that you have to insult someone and dismiss their opinions simply as them being "grumpy" just because you disagree with them? That's totally lame and it shows how much of a fanboy you really are.

Must be nice to basically insult people, dismiss their opinions with no real counter argument (because you have yet to explain how any of my points are wrong) and then take the moral high ground.

I didn't insult you and dismiss your opinion, I actually responded and gave reasoning behind mine. The least you could do is do the same and be respectful about it.

If you think I'm mean then you seem to not understand that this is a business. There are no participation awards. The market is far harsher.

Edited by Key Sharkz
added
  • Brohoof 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steel Accord said:

You know, whenever someone says “I call it like I see it.” That usually translates to “I’m being mean, respect me for it.”

You’re criticism is underserved and overblown. The game’s lore is an entirely new world and setting I want to experience. I like the characters and am glad Lauren Faust and the team got to make some new but familiar guys to play as. I will buy this game. I will play it. I will love it. So their mission of making players happy with their product will be a success.

Enjoy your time in grump town where the Pegasi make sure it rains 24/7.

See above.

There you go again. The moment anyone says anything that isn't glowing praise about something, you take a defensive posture. 

First, Key Sharkz and I do not have the same opinion on this issue. I can see how it may look that way, but we don't. So don't 'see above' me. I was talking specifically about this being a portfolio project to launch careers, even though there isn't going to be a return on investment. That isn't emotional or me being a grump. That's me drawing on decades of experience and multiple business degrees. It also wasn't negative. It was actually positive. You know how many indie devs would kill for a polished portfolio piece like this? Or the experience that TFH is giving them. 

Please pay attention next time. 

 

I was also a backer, because I believe in funding portfolio projects like these. Check the original threads on this. You really are acting a bit childish. On that, Key Sharkz and I completely agree. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jeric said:

First, Key Sharkz and I do not have the same opinion on this issue. I can see how it may look that way, but we don't. So don't 'see above' me. I was talking specifically about this being a portfolio project to launch careers, even though there isn't going to be a return on investment.

Our opinions are similar in that we both seem to be under the belief that the game will not be a commercial success.

We disagree where it comes to the game being a good portfolio piece, but that's a topic for another day, but I do agree that basically hitting anyone that disagrees with the success of the game should not be thrown under a blanket so disrespectfully. It's merely a matter of I do understand a lot of how this industry works after years of study and I too went to school partially for business so I agree fully with Jeric that a RoI is very unlikely. If it happens it will be a miracle or a fluke.

I mean look at the "hype" for the game, most sites even reporting on it are not even getting over a dozen comments on said articles. The Youtube channel is... pretty dead in terms of views compared to other indie games. The Livestream scene for the game in beta was weak as all hell, and there is little interest in seems in this game as a whole. Yet they brought on board expensive talents like Lauren Faust and Tara Strong. It seems like an unwise distribution of budget when the game is relatively unheard of. Not to mention to GAMERS, Lauren Faust is a nobody. She has no relevance in this industry.

It doesn't even take a masters in business to see that the chances of success here are low. The warning signs are all there if I was an investor for example... I'd pull out now.

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Key Sharkz @Jeric I owe the both of you an enormous apology. Both of you are totally right that my reaction to your comments was undeserved. I apologize to the both of you. I'm so sorry.

42 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

You think Faust and Tara Strong are doing this for free? This is a paycheck and they expect a return. I'm sorry that it offends you to know that people in the industry like getting paid and those of us who can spot a bad idea when we see one like to hold onto our money instead of handing it over to a game that will likely flop.

That doesn't offend me at all, far from it. People deserve to be paid for their work.

43 minutes ago, Key Sharkz said:

dismiss their opinions with no real counter argument (because you have yet to explain how any of my points are wrong) and then take the moral high ground.

And because I lack that, I really don't feel comfortable presenting any real rebuttal because it would be like saying "I'm really sorry, but!" and I don't want to do that.

17 minutes ago, Jeric said:

There you go again. The moment anyone says anything that isn't glowing praise about something, you take a defensive posture. 

You'll have to forgive me, I can't think of a time in which I've done this before with you as witness to it. I certainly believe you, I'm just not sure when you're referencing.

18 minutes ago, Jeric said:

First, Key Sharkz and I do not have the same opinion on this issue. I can see how it may look that way, but we don't. So don't 'see above' me. I was talking specifically about this being a portfolio project to launch careers, even though there isn't going to be a return on investment. That isn't emotional or me being a grump. That's me drawing on decades of experience and multiple business degrees. It also wasn't negative. It was actually positive. You know how many indie devs would kill for a polished portfolio piece like this? Or the experience that TFH is giving them.

You're right. I didn't read into the context deeply because I was angry. That's not an excuse to not listen.

~ ~ ~ ~

So really guys. I was out of line. My bad. I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Key Sharkz said:

Our opinions are similar in that we both seem to be under the belief that the game will not be a commercial success.

We disagree where it comes to the game being a good portfolio piece, but that's a topic for another day, but I do agree that basically hitting anyone that disagrees with the success of the game should not be thrown under a blanket so disrespectfully. It's merely a matter of I do understand a lot of how this industry works after years of study and I too went to school partially for business so I agree fully with Jeric that a RoI is very unlikely. If it happens it will be a miracle or a fluke.

I mean look at the "hype" for the game, most sites even reporting on it are not even getting over a dozen comments on said articles. The Youtube channel is... pretty dead in terms of views compared to other indie games. The Livestream scene for the game in beta was weak as all hell, and there is little interest in seems in this game as a whole. Yet they brought on board expensive talents like Lauren Faust and Tara Strong. It seems like an unwise distribution of budget when the game is relatively unheard of. Not to mention to GAMERS, Lauren Faust is a nobody. She has no relevance in this industry.

It doesn't even take a masters in business to see that the chances of success here are low. The warning signs are all there if I was an investor for example... I'd pull out now.

If I were a venture capital investor, the lack of any real marketing, social media presence, and ability to generate any substantive buzz outside of some in this particular fandom, I would be a fool to invest. You mentioned something earlier about them missing an opportunity to market this in the Furry community. I'm actually shocked they didn't.

Then there are the backers ... like me ... who completely forgot about this. In one of my Discord servers I'm in, someone who also gave $15 on their Kickstarter popped on last night and said, "Holy shit, TFH is finally coming out?" How is it that that reaction is what two backers had? This team may know how to make a game, but they sucked at communicating and selling the product after their funding drive. Not a good sign.

 

  • Brohoof 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Key Sharkz said:

Our opinions are similar in that we both seem to be under the belief that the game will not be a commercial success.

We disagree where it comes to the game being a good portfolio piece, but that's a topic for another day, but I do agree that basically hitting anyone that disagrees with the success of the game should not be thrown under a blanket so disrespectfully. It's merely a matter of I do understand a lot of how this industry works after years of study and I too went to school partially for business so I agree fully with Jeric that a RoI is very unlikely. If it happens it will be a miracle or a fluke.

I mean look at the "hype" for the game, most sites even reporting on it are not even getting over a dozen comments on said articles. The Youtube channel is... pretty dead in terms of views compared to other indie games. The Livestream scene for the game in beta was weak as all hell, and there is little interest in seems in this game as a whole. Yet they brought on board expensive talents like Lauren Faust and Tara Strong. It seems like an unwise distribution of budget when the game is relatively unheard of. Not to mention to GAMERS, Lauren Faust is a nobody. She has no relevance in this industry.

It doesn't even take a masters in business to see that the chances of success here are low. The warning signs are all there if I was an investor for example... I'd pull out now.

It's pretty much the same case with Freedom Planet. That game's major player base is Sonic fans, while this one's is Bronies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Join the herd!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.