Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you like to see an M rated MLP movie?

Azureth

No. Imagining what such a movie would be like, that's not what I expect from MLP. FIM being such a positive, upbeat show is one of the main reasons why I love it. I wouldn't be against a slightly higher rating (such as TV-Y7 for the show) but I don't want to see content like extreme violence in MLP.

• Brohoof 4

I think I would pass. An R-rated MLP movie would be so unexpected that it would probably end up more like a parody than anything super awesome. I would like a show or movie that tackles more mature themes, but is still comparable to the current show universe.

• Brohoof 4

That depends. I've always been fond of the idea of an animated version of Fallout Equestria. But an actual MLP movie that, for whatever reason, is rated R? That screams "Problem," to me.

I actually think that would kill the franchise in a heartbeat. Parents would never allow their kids to see it, and the majority of adults won't go see a My Little Pony movie simply because it's rated R. They'd lose any chance to profit.

• Brohoof 1

29 minutes ago, Wannabrony said:

I wouldn't. I think it would lose the charm of MLP and the personalities of the characters we've come to love. :/

Agreed. It would lose everything that made me a fan in the first place. I wouldn't watch it.

29 minutes ago, Pr0m4NV14 said:

I think it would work better as a robot chicken parody.

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been done yet... :wacko:

EDIT: Actually, it looks like it has been done. Just not specifically referencing FiM. More so the franchise in general.

Edited by Prospekt
  • Brohoof 2

. I don't see how and why they would do it, also what do you mean M rated, would you like bloody death, clipping, cursing? There's no point and it would be a horrible choice for Hasbro

Not to mention ruining the show

But let me just say... I would did an M rated EQGmovie

Nvm that's X

Edited by donttellmum

Depends on the content. If there was violence involving blood and gore, and highly sexual themes, I'd feel pretty uncomfortable about it and walk out.

But if it was R-rated for the use of swearing only.... I'm sure I'd get a kick out of it! I've always laughed at the thought of hearing all the show's voice actors cussing someone out in their characters' voices, and not cover it up with horse puns like "Congratu-pony-lations".

If I'm lucky, maybe I can meet the Mane Six cast at a con someday, and ask them to read a vulgar transcript of mine as Twilight, Applejack, etc. That would be the highlight of my life!

Nah, I wouldn't want that. Most studios think that just by adding swearing, toilet humor, and gross out humor automatically makes it more mature, which in reality, it really doesn't. The way the new movie handled it was spot on. 

The reason I prefer most animated kids shows when compared to adult cartoons is that they don't have to rely dumb humor to appeal to everyone. I can guarantee you, that if they made an R rated My Little Pony Movie, they definitely would shoehorn in a bunch of unnecessary adult jokes. Adult animation still has a long way to go.  Bojack Horseman is a prime example of an adult cartoon done with near perfection talking about mature issues without an over reliance on shock humor. Really think about it, what was the last successful adult animated movie that didn't include a bunch of shock humor?

Edited by ultrairongorilla
  • Brohoof 1

Like others have said, the chances of that happening are next to impossible as Hasbro would never agree to such a thing. In my own opinion, I wouldn't like the idea as it just doesn't fit with the morals that MLP has stood for.

I don't think I'd enjoy it. There's a certain charm to the colourful and good nature of MLP, that wouldn't exactly be the same if there were things like sex, violence and swearing. Parodies I'm all for, but this would feel like a major step away from everything the series has represented.

Edited by Cash In
  • Brohoof 1

I'd be all over it, dawg.  I'd love it.  I love the positive, uplifting style, but there's nothing that says rated R has to be depressing.  You can be R and still be uplifting.  I mean, I know it's just a hypothetical, but I've always imagined mature pony crossovers or parodies and the like, so it's totally something I'd be into.

• Brohoof 1

F*** NO. I've had a bad taste for R-rated movies in general, but this sounds like it would just be a terribly written fanfiction sort of deal.

I like the current TV-Y programming fine, thanks (though it'd be nice if they could produce a G-rated version).

• Brohoof 2

Nah. 

M/R/"Adult" rated fantasy on the whole never really grips me because they overuse their "mature" elements, making the entire thing feel unpleasant to me. More lighthearted fantasy series like MLP and Adventure Time still have darker elements and a well-developed chronology, mythology and world, but aren't so...I dunno, drab? I'm not sure how to word it. The point is, I think an M/R rated MLP movie would remove the whimsical element from the series that makes it special and make it a generic fantasy setting with ponies.

• Brohoof 1

On 2/5/2018 at 11:10 PM, Azureth said:

Obviously it would never happen for very obvious reasons, but how would you feel about a MLP movie that's rated R? 

LOL R Rated MLP? I can’t stomach how laughable and wrong it would be to make such an unsuitable shift for the MLP Franchise. That’s like making an X Rated Sesame Street or an AO (Adults Only) Rated Thomas The Tank Engine.

:lol: 

Edited by ZethaPonderer
Replaced M for R