SkyPie

Luna's Cutie Mark

Is that black butt patch apart of Luna's cutie mark or not? First, just the moon disappears. Then, in A Royal Problem, the butt patch goes along with the moon. 

Badges

It might as well be. Even if it wasn't at first, I think changing it was a conscious choice from the animators. If Celestia got Luna's cutie mark without the black patch, you'd never be able to see it.

Badges

(edited)
8 hours ago, SkyPie said:

Is that black butt patch apart of Luna's cutie mark or not? First, just the moon disappears. Then, in A Royal Problem, the butt patch goes along with the moon. 

Here's my theory. The butt patch is a butt patch, but perfectly identical copy of the butt patch is a part of her cutie mark.

But wait! why wasnt it there when Celestia got the butt patch?

Elementary, by dear Pinkie! Its because Celestia has a purplish butt patch cutie mark background that she hides with makeup, so that covered Luna's biological butt patch

and BOOM! Perfectly hidden buttpatch B)

wow. I said butt patch alot

Edited by CrystalBloodMoon

Maybe Starlights spell had side effects, because it was done with magic and not by the loss of magic. So I think that spot isn't part of the cutiemark.

Badges

One thing to consider, if the markings are part of the cutie-mark that would make it the largest cutie-mark we've ever seen on the show.

On the other hand, if it isn't it would make Luna's patch-coat more symmetrical than any of the very few pinto ponies we've also seen on the show.

Personally, I'd lean towards it being a coat color patch, simply because I like the idea of Luna being spotted.

Badges

Maybe Luna originally had a black hair, and what we are seeing is premature greying and the remnants of her once onyx coat! 

Yeah, that's it! 

i think it was much more of a design choice to help the animators, going off what Skypie said in the comment, it would be harder to see Luna's cutie mark on Sun butt, so i think they changed their minds and added the black patch so we could actually see it.:)

It may be nightmare moon hiding inside the crescent moon.

• Shocked 1
  • Smile 1