164 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• School is closed, I HATED IT!
    • This school was lame; time for hooky. >_>
    • It was...meh.
    • I like it; could be better though.
    • BUCK THE EEA! I LOVED IT!!!

Pros:

* Loved the chemistry between the students!
* Loved how Equestria's leaders interacted!

* Spike got to interact with Ember and Thorax (even if it was just for a second)!

* Starlight's role as a councilor!

* MAURICE LAMARCHE!!!!

* Chancellor Neighsayer was an AWESOME villain! He was so realistic and not all-powerful magic! He was powerful in position!

* Amazing story and moral!

* The first full Mane Six season premiere since season 5!

* The songs!

Cons:

* Part 1 felt rushed. Just straight to the school idea and already built and then messed up!

* It doesn't explain how the Mane Six are gonna run the school while at the same time, perform their respectable jobs.

Conclusion: Best season opener since season 5! This could be the best season yet!

• Brohoof 8

13 minutes ago, Denim&Venom said:

I think 7 years in is a bit too late to maintain concern over new viewers. 

The concern wouldn't just be for new viewers of the franchise; it would also include people who might be regular viewers of the show, but didn't hear about the movie, or weren't able to go out and pay to see it, for example.

• Brohoof 2

So, how long did it take for the new school to be constructed? Popping out of nowhere isn't that big of a deal, but maybe a couple of brief scenes within a montage to show the construction's progress would better indicate how much time it took to build it.

SG: See? If Twilight isn't stressed, you got nothin' to worry about.

:lol:

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, MegaSean45 said:

Pros:

* Loved the chemistry between the students!
* Loved how Equestria's leaders interacted!

* Spike got to interact with Ember and Thorax (even if it was just for a second)!

* Starlight's role as a councilor!

* MAURICE LAMARCHE!!!!

* Chancellor Neighsayer was an AWESOME villain! He was so realistic and not all-powerful magic! He was powerful in position!

* Amazing story and moral!

* The first full Mane Six season premiere since season 5!

* The songs!

Cons:

* Part 1 felt rushed. Just straight to the school idea and already built and then messed up!

* It doesn't explain how the Mane Six are gonna run the school while at the same time, perform their respectable jobs.

Conclusion: Best season opener since season 5! This could be the best season yet!

Agree with most of this, though after the school was built I didn't find it to be rushed, just the first act.

Neighsay is clearly quite powerful in every way, from a political standpoint and a magic one.

"I fear this might put the world at war"
-Celestia
Me: "...Cool!"
My friend: *Glances at me* "wow."

• Brohoof 1

I missed it. I didn't watch the streams because I didn't want to sit through somebody talking between commercial breaks, and full episodes haven't been uploaded to YouTube. And the parts that are uploaded don't have the pre-opening scenes.

8 minutes ago, MegaSean45 said:

I mean if Celestia could find time to rule Equestria and run her own school, it's not too hard to believe the Mane 6 can pull it off too.

• Brohoof 6

51 minutes ago, Querch said:

I'm pretty sure a ruler's responsibility towards maintaining national security and good international relations far supercedes that of some domestic regulatory commission. It's not like lives are at stake with the former or anything...

But yeah, perhaps a large war could have broken out, cost many lives, destroy many living areas, crippling national economies for decades to come with people having to suffer through PTSD from going through war and affecting the psychological development of offspring for many generations to come... but at least this one scrub had the freedom to do say something, even in diplomatic settings where you normally send ambassadors who are conscious the responsibility of communicating with foreign leaders.

So what you are saying is that Equestria should have a dictator.

All of her subjects who fear these races whom have been hostile towards them in the past, tried to conquer them or outright destroy them, should now just immediately smile and accept they are cool and all best buddies or else they should be what?... Sent to the moon, imprisoned, executed... or what? And what about the suspicions from the other races that ponies (or each other) are the true problem in their world? Are they just not allowed to enter?

You do not silence distrust and suspicion by waving your finger and telling someone they are not allowed to think or feel that way... you silence it by proving them wrong, which as of this episode has not happened in the grand scope of Equestria. For the Mane 6 and Celestia and company the Changelings are reformed and working towards a unified peace, for the average pony they are probably still creatures out to conquer the world and feed on their souls. And this could be said for virtually all of the races towards each other. Neighsayer is wrong, but he also could be argued to have a perfectly legitimate point of view... considering the relations of ponies and all of these races has not been fantastic over the years and is only just now in very recent times being changed one viewpoint at a time. You do not change an entire communities (and in this case possibly an entire countries) way of thinking overnight. To even think so is ludicrous. You want to change that way of thinking... prove them wrong.... which it was painfully obvious the other races had no intention of doing since they were prepared to go to war and destroy everything around them just because some loudmouth said that is what their kind do. Way to show everyone around them that is not how they really are. I know if I was a pony having someone tell me dragons won't totally burn my village while dragons are totally burning my village I would trust them.

This whole episode and premise is about changing those views and promoting the correct ones.

• Brohoof 4

Even the first song had a funny lyric or two:

Twilight:

Wait, hold on! Not like that! Just a second!
I'm not sure if that method's approved.
Let me take a look.
*opens book* Yep. Right here in the book.

RD:

C'mon! We just got in the groove! *Twilight puts graduation hat on her*

Finale theory:

I don't think Tirek is responsible for Cozy Glow attacking the school. I think that's the EAA's doing! But Tirek COULD be responsible for magic failing, I'm not sure. I'm thinking Tirek might lead to season 9!

• Brohoof 2

2 minutes ago, VG_Addict said:

Did the pacing of Part 1 feel off to anyone else?

At the beginning yeah but it quickly improved, but how would you expect them to do better when they had to explain the movie, open the school concept and introduce the EEA in such a short amount of time?

• Brohoof 1

Maybe it's just me, but I get chills when Celestia says 
"Find the students quickly Twilight, or I fear our world will be at war"
It really highlights impending conflict without forcing it like in the Crystalling

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, RyanMahaffe said:

Maybe it's just me, but I get chills when Celestia says 
"Find the students quickly Twilight, or I fear our world will be at war"
It really highlights impending conflict without forcing it like in the Crystalling

That's one thing I noticed. The stakes, over time, became clear once the story naturally progressed, and they had a lot of weight to them, which the Crystalling severely lacked.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, PathfinderCS said:

That's one thing I noticed. The stakes, over time, became clear once the story naturally progressed, and they had a lot of weight to them, which the Crystalling severely lacked.

Yeah, the idea of a world war wasn't the main plot here, but they set up the idea of that conflict which highlighted the importance of part two beyond it being "save dah school" where as the Crystalling brought in world ending stakes just because it's a two parter I guess.

• Brohoof 2

Twilight: I get it. Things are getting off to a rougher start than expected *Cross Spike climbs onto her desk* But that's okay!

Spike: *grabs her cheeks, turns to him* Who are you, and what have you done with Twilight Sparkle?

:lol:

• Brohoof 2

Gotta say i really enjoyed the episodes. For the first time, in at least a while, the message seemed more directed at adults, both bronies and non-fan parents watching with their kids. Shows that the development team are acknowledging the older viewers with more than just a reference here or there, but actually putting life changing lessons directed at the maturer audience! Also, all the new character are amazing, no dislike at all (so far). That, and this episode has finally put a year long discussion/debate I've had with myself in concrete: Starlight is best pone!

dc0.gif

• Brohoof 4

1 hour ago, RyanMahaffe said:

Agree with most of this, though after the school was built I didn't find it to be rushed, just the first act.

Neighsay is clearly quite powerful in every way, from a political standpoint and a magic one.

"I fear this might put the world at war"
-Celestia
Me: "...Cool!"
My friend: *Glances at me* "wow."

Preventing a war, isn't that something Prince Blueblood would do with his natural diplomatic skills? I really need to read that "Friends Forever" issue with him and Prince Shining Armor. I could over-analyze this, and conclude that if a WAR were to go on, then the only ones who would benefit from it would be Queen Chrysalis, because that means her revenge would be justified, and Lord Tirek, because he can rule over the remains of the old world, and then stab Chrysalis in the back! We NEED Friendship, and we NEED Diplomacy! I wouldn't mind an animated return of Prince Blueblood, as long as they play his art of diplomacy as a good thing, despite Pinkie Pie being Official Friendship Ambassador to Yakyakistan.

I admit, I expected to find this a middling two episodes going in - not good or bad - just middle of the road to establish the aeason. It was executed better than I expected. Some of the new students could be intriguing, and I was found of some of the interactions here. The Starlight pep talk was surprisingly organic and exactly in the spirit of the character that has developed over season 7. Obvious alusions to the Ministry of Magic chamber as depicted in The Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows. And I'm a fan of this new antagonist.

Not bad. 

• Brohoof 4

2 minutes ago, A.V. said:

So, who else expects Chancellor Neighsay to be shipped with Principal Cinch? :lol:

I'm more expecting Principal Cinch to have her OWN School of Friendship, attended by Star Swirl the Bearded, and Approved by the E.E.A, in a future episode. And it would be BY THE BOOK, as in what @SaburoDaimando goes against in his own videos

Here's an example about how he goes against canon characterizations!

In his videos, he uses Shadow the Hedgehog as a major butt monkey, a target of abuse, when he says "Are you STILL obsessing over that Season 4 Trash?" and he gets hit by a dumpster! And Prince Blueblood, as well! He goes against the book, by making Blueblood into a narcissic jerk who wants to take over the world, like our President! And I don't need to bring up how he makes Flash Sentry into the Waifu Thief who tries to steal girls away, only to get stolen by Rarity! That enrages Louis Steffen! Daimando REALLY knows how to go against the book! And I eagerly await the announcement of "The Shadow Got Owned Collab: 5th Anniversary Edition!"