What did you think of the episode?  

164 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• School is closed, I HATED IT!
    • This school was lame; time for hooky. >_>
    • It was...meh.
    • I like it; could be better though.
    • BUCK THE EEA! I LOVED IT!!!

I just finished watching the season 8 premiere and I really enjoyed these episodes a lot. It was great getting some continuity with the events of the MLP movie. Since the movie takes place between season's 7 and 8, it felt fitting to have it be mentioned in the beginning scene. I like how they mentioned Tempest and what she's been doing since after the events in the movie. It was interesting when Celestia explained about the EEA for running a school. Chancellor Neighsay had an interesting appearance. I like how he and The Brain are voiced by the same person. I always imagined it was the Brain when the chancellor was speaking, but I soon got used to seeing the voice as Chancellor Neighsay. I was a little taken aback at how quickly the school was created. I was expecting a montage of the school being build, or a song that went with making and planning a school. I liked how Ember, Thorax and the other creatures made an appearance in the premiere. The students that were attending were pretty interesting and the dynamic of the group worked pretty well throughout the episodes. I liked how each of the mane 6 were teaching their class, but then were told by Twilight to do the class by the book. It was cool seeing Starlight be the school's guidance counselor. At first when the teaching roles were revealed, I wasn't sure how her role would suit her. However, seeing her helping Twilight through her dilemma was a pretty awesome moment. I liked how she took a different approach compared to the rest of the mane 6. It was pretty cool and great to see the Castle of the Two Sisters again after a couple of seasons. When it came to looking for the students, I felt like they were somehow sneaked their way into the school. It felt satisfying and empowering how Twilight and the others were able to stand up to Chancellor Neighsay and his feelings toward the school and education. The moral was pretty good and the songs were enjoyable and somewhat catchy. All in all, I really liked this premiere and it feels good for MLP to be back with season 8. I'm really looking forward to what this season, along with the new and returning characters, has to offer to us viewers and fans. :) 

I enjoyed this premiere. I enjoyed Part 2 a lot more, as it surprised me in different ways. I do like the underlying themes here and really hope they can expand on it throughout the rest of the season. The students seem alright so far, but I'll need to see more of them to form a solid opinion. My only big criticism was that the pacing felt off in both parts. I just thought there would be more to it. Also, Chancellor Neighsay's character was executed fairly well in my opinion. He's not all mighty and powerful like Tirek or Nightmare Moon, but manages to be intimidating. A good start to the season.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Querch said:

It was a diplomatic event with the leaders closeby. It was even spelled out in the episode that it became an international incident. Starting to get an idea of what the stakes are here? It's about averting geopolitical catastrophe. Heck, Equestria could have gone to war!

Neighsay's racism during his blistering critique of the School of Friendship wasn't the true catalyst for potential war, but their students representing the kingdoms running away from home instead. They accused other tribes of kidnapping, hiding, and manipulating their racial kin to be against them.

• Brohoof 2

latest?cb=20180208180327

Oh wow, at first I had some sympathy at him, but then I was like who put this racist in charge?

Anyway screw the rules, and they don't really need the school to teach friendship, just I don't know, put them together and they will learn friendship by themselves

Edited by R.D.Dash

Not a bad premire, it surprised me more than I expected. Part 1 was losing me a bit with its predictability. I was think part 2 would go exactly in a specific direction and while it did to some extent, I really liked how the group became friends after ignoring the boring lectures. Didn't think that would happen. It was also a bit surprising to see blatant racism be part of the story. Really cool idea considering all of the species. The new characters were all pretty good, I mainly like the yak (the names are escaping me) and the new pony. 

It wasn't overly exciting but I think this was far better than season 5's premeire for example. Way more enjoyable than that. One small detail, I didn't like that once again Starlight ended up being the one that was right. We got enough of that last season. :okiedokieloki: Either way, good start to the season. Not much else to say.

• Brohoof 1

I’m still not sure how to feel about the whole school concept. I watched a lot of school based tv shows when I was younger and I’m a little bored with them. Also I never liked school that much so it’s kinda a bad reminder. That aside, hopefully it won’t feature too much, at least not more than necessary and we’ll probably get some old style episodes. I’ve looked briefly at some of the synopsis and it seems this may be the case luckily.

That said the characters in the episode were great. Great Starlight moments, great mane six moments, I really like the new changeling and hipogriff characters (can’t remember their names though, whoops, I think the changeling was Osiris or something?) and the other students are not bad either. I don’t like Neighsay, but I suppose you’re not really supposed to like him so fair enough.

I also like the redesign of Celestia and Luna’s throne room, the little water streams are great and the sun and moon stained glass windows look amazing behind them. I’ll miss the old one a bit though. 

This was probably my least favourite premier so far, but I remain optimistic for this season of mlp.

Edited by Battenberg

I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this season 8 premier, it was good, I'm not saying that it wasn't- but I could kinda feel the underlying leftist-democrat agenda within a few of the lines spoken by the characters. For instance I could compare the term "Every creature" to the term "Peoplekind"- an SJW term to degrade the term "Mankind", which would be the pony equivalent of "Everypony". I also felt that right before the fight in the hallway, Sandbar says "You don't need to insult her heritage"- or something along those lines at least. Why this line irks me is because there were a million other ways the writers could have taken the conversation, but instead they decided to force in a line about "not insulting other cultures" for the show's targeted viewers, who might I add, are aged 6-12 and probably too young to even understand differences in cultures and skin color. Kids don't have that bias that some adults have, simply because they're too young, they don't see the color of their friends skin, they just see another happy kid to hang out with, so why force in a line about "culture appropriation" when most kids themselves are too young to even understand it? :okiedokieloki:    

• Brohoof 1

To be honest i was upset when i learned a concept of school for these 2 episodes... as for the season really... But suprisingly These 2 episodes were blast! I never expect them to be that good! Loved all new characters, neighsay was a real thing, i'm looking forward to see how can he to pull the strings between the wheels of friendship school. New students were generally good with divers personalities. Some have familiar treats from the mane six, but still they mix so well creating unique characters.

I was upset before, but now i'm looking forward more than ever for new episodes.

• Brohoof 2

Just found out who voices Sandbar, and holy crap they finally made another character voiced by Vincent Tong that's actually likeable! (last ones were Donut Joe and Rumble)

28 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this season 8 premier, it was good, I'm not saying that it wasn't- but I could kinda feel the underlying leftist-democrat agenda within a few of the lines spoken by the characters. For instance I could compare the term "Every creature" to the term "Peoplekind"- an SJW term to degrade the term "Mankind", which would be the pony equivalent of "Everypony". I also felt that right before the fight in the hallway, Sandbar says "You don't need to insult her heritage"- or something along those lines at least. Why this line irks me is because there were a million other ways the writers could have taken the conversation, but instead they decided to force in a line about "not insulting other cultures" for the show's targeted viewers, who might I add, are aged 6-12 and probably too young to even understand differences in cultures and skin color. Kids don't have that bias that some adults have, simply because they're too young, they don't see the color of their friends skin, they just see another happy kid to hang out with, so why force in a line about "culture appropriation" when most kids themselves are too young to even understand it? :okiedokieloki:    

I feel bad for anyone who likes an episode less because there might have been some subtle political messages in it. Like who cares about it's stance on the real world, just accept it as it is in this fictional world.

Hmm... what can I say that hasn't already been spoken here? Eh, what the heck if I say something already been said by someone else? It just means it turned out I had similar thoughts. But where do I start? 

Overall, I would say Part 2 was more interesting than Part 1. Much like the Students 6 and the Mane 5 Professors, going by the book sucked out the engagement for the school for them and for me. Once Part 2 started and Starlight basically told Twilight to Buck the Rules and do the school their way, that's when my engagement (as well as the Staff and Students') returned. Still the episode ended with Chancellor Neighsayer clearly not convinced and leaving it possible for the school to fail in the future, so I'm rooting for our heroes to show over the course of the season that the Magic of Friendship can be spread to any and all Creatures who want to learn it. 

Also, I wouldn't encourage the Students skipping school. But still once they were alone and free of judgement from the adults, they really started to bond with each others. Heck, I even started to notice Grumpy Griffon Gallus and Snarky Dragon Smolder loosen up. And even if I wasn't a fan of the Changelings, Ocellus the new Changeling appealed to me with her shy Personality. 

Also to note: Outside of Flashbacks and Time-Travel, I don't think we've seen the inside of the Castle of the Two Royal Sisters since the end of Season 4. We've seen the Tree of Harmony that is underneath the Castle via the Gorge, but not inside in a while. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Honestly the only thing that made me genuinely uncomfortable was Ember lashing out at Thorax. After the advice they gave each other, it seem out of character for Ember. Most of the other flaws in both episodes personally didn't really bother me or I just didn't notice. 

Still I did like how Thorax doesn't immediately blame the other tribes and actually is the Representative leader least likely to want to start a war. Plus Ember pointing out that Dragons don't like Singing after hearing the ending song made me gave a smug smile in remembering how (paraphrasing her words from past episodes) "Dragons don't do hugs, pick flowers, and exchange necklaces". And I thought it was only the Griffons that disallow singing in their homeland. (Gabby the excitable mail-Griffon being an cool exception.)

As for the new theme song that didn't appear here, I think much like Season 2, the look won't change until Episode 3 as they likely didn't want to.... (Spoilers for the changes revealed within)

Spoiler

...visually spoil the school and the new Canterlot Castle Throne Room until after the viewers seen the new look within this 2 parter.

Well, all in all this was a great beginning in my eyes. Not the best Premiere, but still good in introducing new characters and a new major location with new possible plots to uncover. And hey, even if some great ideas were wasted in the show, there will always be fan fiction writers to do something with them for good or bad. I'm open to the possibilities.

That's all I'll say for now. I might have more later. For now I am looking forward to the rest of Season 8.

Edited by We.
Mentioning the reappearance of an old location.
  • Brohoof 4

15 minutes ago, RyanMahaffe said:

I feel bad for anyone who likes an episode less because there might have been some subtle political messages in it. Like who cares about it's stance on the real world, just accept it as it is in this fictional world.

And maybe I don't like my TV shows trying to shove their political agendas in my face, but apparently you do, and that's kinda sad your letting yourself get manipulated by the left-wing democrats :fiery:

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, We. said:

Honestly the only thing that made me genuinely uncomfortable was Ember lashing out at Thorax. After the advice they gave each other, it seem out of character for Ember. Most of the other flaws personally didn't really bother me or I just didn't notice. 

Hide contents

Hm, I actually liked that, because to me it showed that while she is kinder and more level-headed, she is still a dragon that has been raised all her life in brutish ways and can still be hot-headed.

Just now, King of Canterlot said:

And maybe I don't like my TV shows trying to shove their political agendas in my face, but apparently you do, and that's kinda sad your letting yourself get manipulated by the left-wing democrats :fiery:

Uh...huh. Nothing was shoved in your face unless you are actively trying to find these "messages"

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, RyanMahaffe said:

Uh...huh. Nothing was shoved in your face unless you are actively trying to find these "messages"

I wasn't trying to "actively" find those messages, they were blatantly put out there in the dialog of the characters. It was painfully obvious that it was a political message from the left, and honestly, you can't deny that there were political messages within the episodes dialog.    

• Brohoof 1

I wasn't trying to "actively" find those messages, they were blatantly put out there in the dialog of the characters. It was painfully obvious that it was a political message from the left, and honestly, you can't deny that there were political messages within the episodes dialog.    

It's not that I deny they were there, I just don't care about them, they make sense within the context of the story and none of it isn't things that aren't common sense anyway.
Don't shit on other cultures
Don't be inclusive in your lifestyle
Don't be racist
OMG THE LEFT ARE RUINING MLP WITH THESE COMPLEX MESSAGES!

• Brohoof 2

Here my experience with the premiere today, if you bother.:muffins: Damn, my dentist just pulled out my tooth yesterday, it really hurt while watch this premiere (and happy at the same time).

*Watching S8 premiere*

I am glad they didn't try to ignore the movie existence but at same time, the movie is not so good so I am glad they just want to get over it as fast as possible. Look at Starlight's face, look like she didn't know anything at all.

Even the Princess have to ask association to build a school, even a goddess of the sun herself... Very interesting. 

I knew where the tax coming from now... 

These new students from different kinds are not just some random students, they are students picked by their leader of their nations (even by force). Well done, I am invested. These new characters are just too cute.

Meanwhile, Twilight try to make her school approved by the association instead of actual genuine education. She look like some principals I knew, care about her school more than her student... Well, they can open school because of association permission, cant 100% blame them, it's very pressure. 

You are too young to open a school, Twilight.

That egdy lord is goddamn racist (if I used wrong word, correct me). The way he teleports is egdy too.

Starlight didn't talk very much, as I expected, educations are not her things, all she has to do is follow Twilight like the rest of the mane 6, which is understandable. THey are not prepared to be a teachers.

I forgot to mention the song, not great but it tells a story so it not unnesessary.

Let see part 2.:fluttershy:  

*S8 premiere Part 2 done*

Previously on My Little pony... F*&k your Apple product placements, Applejack,this is a school to teach kids, not to teach kids Apples are better than anything else........................................ How about Apples and PEARS, huh?, huh?

...............My god, why I am getting so worked up........ Am I too INVESTED TO THIS PREMIERE???

........Is it because Mike Volgel made it too cute?......... or Is it because Nicole Debut make it too political like his Star Wars episodes..........

Twilight become Rarity in this ep, crying in the dark.

Starlight smug faces are amazing, she's being sarcastic?:pinkie: and "SCREW THE CODEX" moment, that's just amazing. Starlight taught Twilight about how to use your authorities and how to be the one in power while not being one herself.:sneer:..... Someday, Twilight will sit on the Iron Throne herself, eliminate the councils, and create a kingdom named after her name, ahahahahahahahaha............ WAit wrong series... :muffins:...

......Twilight's Kingdom..... soon~:nom:

Party and Diplomacy = Party Pooped, Education and Diplomacy = School Daze.

While adults arguing, kids just wanted to have fun. These kids are the future.:fiery:

Just like what  I expected, only little changeling pay attention to Fluttershy lessons, look at her eyeshapes, its too obvious, she is Fluttershy ver 2.0. So cute. :muffins:

Even Ember tired of drawn out songs.....

I still has many thing to say about this premiere but I cant think anything else at that point because my jaws hurt. I really like this premiere. Much better than I expected. 9/10 (if they could have the better songs, it would be 9.5).

*Sr, I have to take some medicine to ease my pain, it look like this premiere gave me 3 hours of pain immune but it started to worn off...................:mellow:*

Edited by Lambdadelta

2 minutes ago, RyanMahaffe said:

It's not that I deny they were there, I just don't care about them, they make sense within the context of the story and none of it isn't things that aren't common sense anyway.
Don't shit on other cultures
Don't be inclusive in your lifestyle
Don't be racist
OMG THE LEFT ARE RUINING MLP WITH THESE COMPLEX MESSAGES!

The left is two faced, the ponies obviously represent white people, and the other creatures represent the other races. The headmaster chancellor guy is in layman's terms, a racist white male. This is exactly what the left thinks ALL white males are, and they scream and throw tantrums about it. The reason they're two faced is because they only care about you if your not white. Did you know about the white oppression by blacks in South Africa since the end of Apartheid has gotten worse every year? White people are getting their land taken from them without any compensation simply because of their skin color. But what does the left do? Nothing. They do nothing. Because the left in it of itself, is racist and full of hypocrites. I do not want an organisation that is full of two-faced racist hypocrites having any influence in MLP, and frankly, you shouldn't either.  

• Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

or Is it because Nicole Debut make it too political like his Star Wars episodes..........

his
his...
HIS!?!?
HIIISSS!?
Dubuc is a she/her.
But I agree with much of what you said and I also think this is a 9/10

Though I really liked both of the songs, not standouts or anything, but still nice.

7 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

The left is two faced, the ponies obviously represent white people, and the other creatures represent the other races. The headmaster chancellor guy is in layman's terms, a racist white male. This is exactly what the left thinks ALL white males are, and they scream and throw tantrums about it. The reason they're two faced is because they only care about you if your not white. Did you know about the white oppression by blacks in South Africa since the end of Apartheid has gotten worse every year? White people are getting their land taken from them without any compensation simply because of their skin color. But what does the left do? Nothing. They do nothing. Because the left in it of itself, is racist and full of hypocrites. I do not want an organisation that is full of two-faced racist hypocrites having any influence in MLP, and frankly, you shouldn't either.  

Again, I don't care, this is really stupid. Don't bring real-life political issues or thoughts into this discussion, please. You are literally looking in very deep here. None of the messages go very deep and don't step on any ones toes. Again, don't degrade others cultures for no reason, don't be racist for no reason. These aren't political viewpoints designed to brainwash our kids, they are basic pillars of being a decent fucking human being. I don't care what "the left" or "the right" are doing in the real world right now. When I watch cartoon horse I want to sit down and enjoy a story, that is what I did here.  Well, I don't have any influence on MLP, none of us do. So I don't know why you bothered saying that.

Edited by RyanMahaffe
  • Brohoof 2

6 minutes ago, RyanMahaffe said:

Again, I don't care, this is really stupid. Don't bring real-life political issues or thoughts into this discussion, please. You are literally looking in very deep here. None of the messages go very deep and don't step on any ones toes. Again, don't degrade others cultures for no reason, don't be racist for no reason. These aren't political viewpoints designed to brainwash our kids, they are basic pillars of being a decent fucking human being. I don't care what "the left" or "the right" are doing in the real world. When I watch cartoon horse I want to sit down and enjoy a story, that is what I did here.  Well, I don't have any influence on MLP, none of us do. So I don't know why you bothered saying that.

I'm saying it because before MLP used to have NO political messages underlying within the dialog. I believe this is because of the many liberal writers and staffers working on the show. I don't want to sit down and have to be taught not to degrade other's cultures when again, it does spawn from the creation of the leftist media. I'm disappointed that you allow yourself to be so easily controlled by the left from the disguise of "simple messages", we both know it's not that simple.      

• Brohoof 1

I'm saying it because before MLP used to have NO political messages underlying within the dialog. I believe this is because of the many liberal writers and staffers working on the show. I don't want to sit down and have to be taught not to degrade other's cultures when again, it does spawn from the creation of the leftist media. I'm disappointed that you allow yourself to be so easily controlled by the left from the disguise of "simple messages", we both know it's not that simple.      

Would you stop accusing me of being "controlled" just because I watch the show for fun and don't get upset when it says don't be racist? It's silly. In season 5 MLP said communism is bad... They are simple though, that's the thing. There is no complexity here, the messages here shouldn't even be classified as left or right, just basic fucking kindness to not be racist and not mock peoples cultures. If you see anything deeper than you are pulling them out and most people won't even notice them. 

• Brohoof 3

1 minute ago, RyanMahaffe said:

Would you stop accusing me of being "controlled" just because I watch the show for fun and don't get upset when it says don't be racist? It's silly. In season 5 MLP said communism is bad... They are simple though, that's the thing. There is no complexity here, the messages here shouldn't even be classified as left or right, just basic fucking kindness to not be racist and not mock peoples cultures. If you see anything deeper than you are pulling them out and most people won't even notice them. 

I'm only saying that your being controlled because of how ill-informed you clearly are about politics and how politics influence everything, even MLP. The only reason we're seeing these "be kind to all cultures" messages now is because the left is in hysteria over Trump because they think he's racist. They could have tackled these issues back in season one for crying out loud! But why didn't they? Because back then the political climate wasn't as bad as it is now, and like I said, politics can influence everything, even MLP.    

• Brohoof 1

6 minutes ago, King of Canterlot said:

I'm only saying that your being controlled because of how ill-informed you clearly are about politics and how politics influence everything, even MLP. The only reason we're seeing these "be kind to all cultures" messages now is because the left is in hysteria over Trump because they think he's racist. They could have tackled these issues back in season one for crying out loud! But why didn't they? Because back then the political climate wasn't as bad as it is now, and like I said, politics can influence everything, even MLP.    

It's not that I am ill-informed, I do talk about real life issues in other places, but when I come to MLP to talk MLP, I really don't care about the political climate in the real world. That is why I never post outside show discussion, EQG discussion, or movie discussion either. I am here for MLP and everything within it. Not what is outside. I have already agreed that this has messages in them but for the most part I consider them to be basic human decency and not the filthy left corrupting dah kids. Also, I don't think Hasbro would have allowed things like this in season 1, they really opened up what the show can do or say since seasons 1 and 2.

Edited by RyanMahaffe
  • Brohoof 1