164 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• School is closed, I HATED IT!
    • This school was lame; time for hooky. >_>
    • It was...meh.
    • I like it; could be better though.
    • BUCK THE EEA! I LOVED IT!!!

4 minutes ago, Wolfhog said:

As for taking focus off the other mane 6, I definitely agree that it makes sense that Starlight was the one to say this to Twilight, but at the same time I understand the frustration that the other mane 5 have been pushed out of the focus. That being said, I think it's too hasty to jump to the conclusion that they won't be in the focus at all. The previous season, while certainly emphasizing other characters more, still gave the mane 6 their own episodes (it's just that quite a few of them people don't like to remember :P). 

I mean, there were a lot of characters, and especially considering that there's a huge new cast to consider, I think every character got a pretty fair amount of focus. I'm not gonna praise this for balancing everyone - less is more, after all - but I liked what the mane six did in this, and I felt the groundwork was laid down for better stuff down the road. 

6 minutes ago, Wolfhog said:

I stated this in a status update, but if there's anything I'm concerned about, it's the life that's being sucked out of the musical numbers in the show lately. There's been some great musical numbers in seasons past, but I think this absolute need to shove them in every episode, even where it's not necessary, is really beginning to show in the musical numbers' quality. S8's premiere shows this the worst, as the songs just... I'm sorry, you're free to like them, but they really aren't good. They're off-rhythm, and when they aren't the lyrics are generic and just not what I like from MLP: FiM music. I would honestly prefer if they dialed back on writing songs just because they feel they have to meet a quota and instead make better songs in the special moments where the songs deserve to be showcast. Quality > quantity. I'm a bit of a rhythm junkie especially so it sticks out when they're literally stretching lines just to fit the rhythm of the song, and this could so easily be fixed if they just spent more time refining the more lack luster lines in songs. Magical Mystery Cure suffered from a very similar problem.

I've honestly felt the show's music has been on a downwards spiral for years now. I thought the songs here were reasonably bouncy, though I can't remember any lines from them, and I generally dug the sentiments, which is more than I can say for most FiM songs from season 5 forward, which are so often either 1. very similar to previous songs, 2. lacking in hooks, or 3. express a sentiment I don't much like. There are exceptions, but as far as I'm concerned they're pretty much concentrated in two episodes - "The Mane Attraction" and "A Hearth's Warming Tale." Though I would not say I'm the best versed in musical theory of any sort. 

3 minutes ago, Wolfhog said:

This is a pretty valid concern. I'm worried that the writers feel that the only way to set Starlight apart from the others is to keep referencing that past, that they think that past defines her. But it's through referencing it so much that they aren't really allowing Starlight to showcase the other great qualities she has above that.

And it's kind of sad, because Starlight actually makes a great foil to Twilight in that Twilight is clearly more empathetic whereas Starlight is more practical. While Twilight is prone to bouts of panic and worry, Starlight has a tendency to keep that worry under lock and key. I know people aren't as fond of "A Royal Problem" these days, but I really liked what it showcased about Starlight's personality and the way that she handles guilt: it's something that's clearly always there, but she tries to shove it to the back of her mind.

Starlight was my least favourite part of "A Royal Problem" - that tendency to hide her emotions makes her feel really bland to me, and what she did in that episode is not good - but I liked her more there than most elsewhere in the season because her anxiety is something I can actually relate to, unlike the endless fountain of self-pity she seemed to have in season 7. 

I felt she had more uniqueness here, though; her proactive nature, as I said, lends her a sort of distinctive bluntness, which is a degree of personality that seasons 6 and 7 never allowed her. Now... what's next for her? Will we see anything of her kite interest? I don't buy her as a guidance counsellor, but at least it's a fresh angle. 

• Brohoof 1

3 hours ago, Wolfhog said:

An episode that's not necessarily special on its own, but a good set up to where S8 may lead up. I wasn't surprised upon the news that Chancellor Neighsay would come back; he was set up as especially important, so it makes sense that he would get his own time to shine later down the road.

This episode isn't an epic or grand adventure, nor did it really stand out as particularly amazing or anything, but it's a premiere. I don't usually expect premieres to be the most earth-shattering thing, just to show me what I can expect from the season, and I think it delivered on that. It's plainly obvious to me that these non-mane 6 are going to be developed out later. Not sure why people are concerned that they're one-note now. The mane 6 were pretty one-note in their own debut, and they would later have their characters completed as time went on. Patience, my friends.

As for taking focus off the other mane 6, I definitely agree that it makes sense that Starlight was the one to say this to Twilight, but at the same time I understand the frustration that the other mane 5 have been pushed out of the focus. That being said, I think it's too hasty to jump to the conclusion that they won't be in the focus at all. The previous season, while certainly emphasizing other characters more, still gave the mane 6 their own episodes (it's just that quite a few of them people don't like to remember :P). 

I stated this in a status update, but if there's anything I'm concerned about, it's the life that's being sucked out of the musical numbers in the show lately. There's been some great musical numbers in seasons past, but I think this absolute need to shove them in every episode, even where it's not necessary, is really beginning to show in the musical numbers' quality. S8's premiere shows this the worst, as the songs just... I'm sorry, you're free to like them, but they really aren't good. They're off-rhythm, and when they aren't the lyrics are generic and just not what I like from MLP: FiM music. I would honestly prefer if they dialed back on writing songs just because they feel they have to meet a quota and instead make better songs in the special moments where the songs deserve to be showcast. Quality > quantity. I'm a bit of a rhythm junkie especially so it sticks out when they're literally stretching lines just to fit the rhythm of the song, and this could so easily be fixed if they just spent more time refining the more lack luster lines in songs. Magical Mystery Cure suffered from a very similar problem.

I'm interested to see what the future of S8 holds for us. The School of Friendship can certainly lead to some interesting plots, and it's pretty great that some more relatable characters are being made out of different species. Certainly, there are some who decry it out of the fact we didn't get them earlier, leading to some unfortunate implications, but I'm honestly just glad they're here now.

I completely disagree on the songs, but that's probably because I don't care for rhythm as much, I focus more on the melodic/harmonic components, and that was pretty tight for these songs. They even had a bit of well done polyphony, especially at the end of the first song. I did notice the rhythm was a bit odd in the first song, but I'm pretty sure it was intentional. 

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:18 PM, KH7672 said:

The answer is obvious: They HATED the school!

They had jobs and Twilight just make them more busy :P

17 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

No. She will never be evil again. Let it go. 

You must let HIM go.:lol:

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 2

Also. did Anyone else get a feeling that there may be more to Neighsayer's prejudice than just towards the other races of creatures.  I mean when Celestia mentioned something similar happening before involving Earth Ponies, Unicorn's and Pegasus, I just got this feeling, that Neighsayer is also prejudice towards non-unicorn and non-alicorn ponies.  

And something tells me, that that too will be brought to light very soon as well.  What are your thoughts on this?

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but I said before, I believe this "School" deal will last only this season, as well as the student six.  Now that doesn't mean the student six won't show up in the 9th season (potenally the final season), they will, it just that they may be put in the same positions as Ember, Thorax, Trixie, and Discord are currently in, showing up when needed or when the story calls for them too.

As far as Neighsayer goes, as I mentioned before, I feel he will have a major role when it comes to the S8 Finale, perhaps the one behind the S8 Finale's Villain.

The reason I say this, is because it seems he comes off as someone that no matter what you tell them, will stand firmly by his beliefs, and will do anything to prove what he is saying is gospel, even it means sending somepony to do his dirty work for him.  And again, it seems his prejudice for the other races in Equestria runs a lot deeper than he's letting on, from what Celestia said to him at the end.  So I feel we may learn more about that as the season rolls on.

Overall, it was nice to get call backs to the Movie right at the start, and how that one adventure expanded the Cutie/Friendship Map to encompass the whole table.  Also I feel that just because we don't see them in S8, but only referenced, I fell S9 (Final Season?) is when we will see her, Capper, the Pirates and Skystar again.

But those are just my thoughts. What are yours? Do you Agree with anything I mention here? Comments are Welcomed

Alright.  I'm here.  You can call off the search party, everypony.

So, I watched it.

Spoiler

Oh, what, you were expecting more?  Did you want some kind of "review" or thoughts and opinions?  I watched it.  Isn't that enough?  Just leave me be.

*Sigh*  Alright.  Fine.  Here we go.

So...as some of you may know, I really hated the movie, and it irritates me greatly that we have to put up with it on the show as canon.  It bothers me more than a little bit, in fact, for some pretty pathetic reasons.  If you're actually interested, and you have an hour to kill, and you don't mind being sucked into a downward spiraling vortex of depression and negativity, you read all about it in my stupid vent thread here.  But for the rest of you normal people, I'll just say that I was hoping they'd leave the movie as B-canon like Equestria Girls.

Probably the most frustrating thing for me is the temporal displacement of the movie.  I.e. the fact that it was written between S4 & 5, but it said to have taken place between 7 & 8, which makes absolutely no sense given all of the other characters.  I guess the writers' position for the series is, "Whelp, there's absolutely no way we can ever explain why Starlight, Ember, Steve, I mean Thorax (sorry), Starswirl, and the Pillars weren't in the movie, so we're not even gonna try.  Just.  Not.  Gonna.  Try."  I dunno, maybe that's for the best.  It makes it easier for me to pretend it didn't happen!  :muffins::lol::P

But....y'know, besides that, I actually really liked the episode.  Quite a bit actually.  I feel pretty stupid for making that vent thread.  I really loved the school idea, and I loved the inclusion of all the different species.  I don't even have anything against hippogriffs.  They're a logical mythical race to include, and make sense in the FIM universe.  (Albeit the merfolk transformation thing is kinda dumb, imo.)  I'm just relieved that they didn't include the pirate birds or f*ckin' O'Malley the alley cat, or whatever the sh*t his name was.  I felt like they were out of place in the lore of the universe.  I hope they're never in the series.  It honestly wouldn't bother me if Fizz was in the series.  She was the only good thing about the movie.  Just not the birds and alley cat.  Please.

Anyway, I actually thought the hippogriff girl was cute.  Didn't mind her at all.  I am really curious as to the relationship of some of the students to the elders.  Could some of these students be their kids?  I suppose Ember could have a kid, but it seems like we would have known that by now.  Ste....I mean Thorax (dammit, I'm gonna keep doing that) couldn't possibly have kid, right?  We would have known.  Prince Rutherford could definitely have a daughter, though.  We don't know much about him, and he seems older than the rest as well.

Holy dammit, that school went up FAST.  I mean, I know magic greatly speeds up everything in Equestria, but still, DAMN.  Was there any time lapse at all?

This episode definitely had some very mature themes about discrimination.  I love it.  I also really love how Starlight has become the voice of reason and ends up being the one to teach Twi a lesson.  First in Shadow Play and then again, here.  The student becomes the teacher.  She brings an outsider perspective.

Celestia was in the episode!  Happy Day!  Man, I never care if it's good or crap; I just love it when Celestia is onscreen instead of the usual forgetting-she-exists thing.  She had more screentime in the episode than in the movie...

It was cool having the Mane 6 be professors of friendship.  They're like the X-Men.  The X-Mares.  But of course, Celestia's school is the one that parodies Professor X's.  But whatever.  Still really cool.  The biggest question for me is how they have time for this much.  They all have their own careers, they're international super heroes, they're now full-time professors, and they still manage to have enough free time to goof off, have parties, random fun and adventures, AND they somehow have enough free time to get bored once in awhile.  How do they fit it in?!  Did they quit their jobs to become professors?  I think the episode should have ended like Burns, Baby, Burns, from The Simpsons:

Twilight: "Alright, well, the school's closed, everypony.  I guess it's back to your regular jobs."

Rainbow: "Ah, that's okay.  I mean, I am a Wonderbolt after all.  Oh, hey, that reminds me!  I told Spitfire I was taking five, and that was a week ago!"

Well, even though I hate the movie stuff, it's just nice to once again have some Pony that actually looks like Pony, instead of like a 1990's Disney movie.

• Brohoof 2

So i think this is pretty briliant.

First off; the plot of all of it was pretty great and i liked it alot. The new characters are great and i love them. The only thing making the episode not-perfect is the fact that the whole learning about friendship went a little too fast in the song. The rest aside from the super fast decision of making a school was pretty much perfect!

And come to think of it, the fraction of 4/5 doesn't really describe how much i liked it. The 97/100 would be more appropriate so... if you get that down to the denominator of 5 you'll get 4.85/5 so i guess i'll make it a 5/5 for once!

Freaking loved those episodes!

Something always struck me as off with the whole EEA thing. I get the impression that Twilight's idea wasn't communicated clearly enough. Let's look at Twilight's and Neighsay's exchange in that room that looked a little too dark for reading to be practical (seriously...).

Twilight: If we want to keep our land safe and create a friendlier tomorrow, we need to teach the magic of friendship far and wide.
Neighsay: A school for ponies to learn how to defend themselves?
Twilight: Uh, more like respecting differences and communicating.
Neighsay: The EEA concurs. Everypony should be prepared to defend our way of life. So, if your work is in order...

Hm... It's not just me who thinks that Twilight and Neighsay weren't on the same page at the outset? It seemed as though both had something else in mind after the session concluded. Another obvious thing is that Neighsay seems to have been in the dark about the school bringing in students from outside of Equestria as well.

As for the the school itself, I really have to piece together what it's all about because it's really not obvious (even though it proclaims itself to be). It looks like this School of Friendship was supposed to be any other school with species other than ponies in it. I don't know, it just comes across as not very clearly thought-out and having gone into pitfalls that could have been avoided from the outset.

As much as I'd like to have a look at the curriculum she wrote to the EEA so that I can have a better look at what Twilight's thought processes were, the nitty-gritty aspects of her plan just weren't relevant to the plot. Her plan gets preemptively approved, it fails final approval, she writes her own rules, Neighsay finds himself without recourse and everything works out.

Sigh... This really could have been executed a lot better. I've worked with norms before. In my case, it's norms about electrical installations. Norms are all about what is established and what is known. At least as far as I can tell, it all boils down to not having to re-invent the wheel with every new project and to hold people accountable should something go awry. Another thing that bothered me a little was Neighsay's over-acting. Was this his first day on the job? You'd think this sort of thing would get very mundane very quickly.

21 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

I suppose Ember could have a kid, but it seems like we would have known that by now.

Considering how uncomfortable she still gets every time Spike hugs her, I don't know how many hundreds of years will go by before she has any kids. :lol:

Unless, dragon courtship rituals are purely functional experiences with no emotional attachment and the only aim is to get pregnant and pop out an egg when the time comes during the great migration? :sealed:

It makes me wonder when Smolder was born since the last migration wasn't that long ago, and she's definitely older than Spike, though not by much (probably). Migrations are once-in-a-lifetime thing for ponies, so does that me she like around 100+ years old?

Holy dammit, that school went up FAST.  I mean, I know magic greatly speeds up everything in Equestria, but still, DAMN.  Was there any time lapse at all?

It just occurred to me that maybe Discord created it for Twilight? That would certainly explain how it could just pop into existence and how it could get built for no money down.

Celestia was in the episode!  Happy Day!  Man, I never care if it's good or crap; I just love it when Celestia is onscreen instead of the usual forgetting-she-exists thing.

I figured you'd enjoy that aspect, at least. :)

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Truffles said:

Unless, dragon courtship rituals are purely functional experiences with no emotional attachment and the only aim is to get pregnant and pop out an egg when the time comes during the great migration?

Okay, picturing what this would look like with Ember definitely gave me the lolz.  :lol:  Oh, mercy me....I like you, Truffles.  :P

Migrations are once-in-a-lifetime thing for ponies, so does that me she like around 100+ years old

Ooh, mind blown.  I never thought of that.  That's really cool.  She probably is a lot older than we intuitively tend to think.  I've always assumed that dragons in FIM age like Tolkein dragons--effectively immortal, like natural born alicorns.  Spike is....what....15-ish years old?  I'm guessing that the giants like the dragon Fluttershy chewed out in S1 are at least 1000 years old.  Ember could well be a century old or more.

It just occurred to me that maybe Discord created it for Twilight?

That's as good an explanation as any, buuut....there's a reason that the Q continuum always had a sort of Prime Directive of their own, and why Q kept his meddling within certain boundaries, and why they do the same for Discord: if he starts going hog-wild and just creating massive stuff for them, then it becomes a slippery slope with no end.  Why not just create more and more?  Why stop at a school?  Why not snap his fingers and give her a bigger castle?  Why not snap his fingers again and give Rarity a palace-sized boutique in every city in the land?  Why not not snap his fingers again and give Applejack a bunch of android pony servants to run the farm?  Why stop there?  Why not just make the farm fully automated?  Why not give Rainbow some cloud palace, and Pinkie a Willy Wonka factory?  Why not just create a whole kingdom for them?  Why not a whole planet?  A whole galaxy?  Well, there's easy answers to some of those, but the point is where is the line?  If Discord is willing to do stuff like that for you, then how could you resist the temptation to just have him do everything for you? 

I call this phenomenon The Creative Mode Effect, which is a minecraft reference.  I'm going to go ahead and assume that even if you've never played MC, you at least know what it is, and basically what Creative Mode is.  I loved MC, but after awhile playing in creative mode, I started to feel like there was no point, because it was just infinite.  Infinite power to create, but with no real purpose other than to create more and more.  Build an epic thing, do nothing with it, build a bigger epic thing, do nothing with it, etc.  (I guess the purpose is to start a MC youtube channel and make ad money...)  I started feeling a lack of motivation to do anything because it was infinite power that didn't require earning.  I then tried to start new games in survival mode, but after a few minutes I would inevitably succumb to the temptation to give myself just one thing with creative mode, because it was too much of a pain to craft, and so it would begin...and end.  And so it is to be a Q.  Why do anything when you can do everything?  What's the point of doing anything when you can always do something more?  What's the point when it will never end?  This is why Quinn wanted to commit suicide on the Voyager episode "Death Wish" my favorite Q episode of any series).

If Discord is the answer to something, then the creative mode cascade just gives way like an avalanche, and he becomes the answer to everything.  That's why his powers are typically kept for fun, cosmetic, impermanent antics.

Wow, that turned, like, pretty philosophical, huh?  Bet you weren't expecting that to come out of that one little comment!  :lol:

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Justin_Case001 said:

Okay, picturing what this would look like with Ember definitely gave me the lolz.

I pictured her laying on her stomach with her head propped up by one of her elbows, looking bored, wondering when the guy was going to be be finished back there contributing half his DNA to her cause. :)

Ooh, mind blown.  I never thought of that.  That's really cool.  She probably is a lot older than we intuitively tend to think.  I've always assumed that dragons in FIM age like Tolkein dragons--effectively immortal, like natural born alicorns.  Spike is....what....15-ish years old?  I'm guessing that the giants like the dragon Fluttershy chewed out in S1 are at least 1000 years old.  Ember could well be a century old or more.

All those ages fall in line with my thinking as well. I did think of one possibility that would allow Smolder to be around Spike's age: It could be that her egg was berthed a century ago - an egg created during the migration before the one Spike attended. But perhaps she wasn't hatched until recently, well before Spike but not long ago to make her a century old. We really don't know anything about how long dragon eggs sit around incubating in their shells before they hatch. And who knows how long Spike's egg sat around, for that matter.

But as it is with dragons, she could just as easily be around 100, too, lol.

I call this phenomenon The Creative Mode Effect, which is a minecraft reference.  I'm going to go ahead and assume that even if you've never played MC, you at least know what it is, and basically what Creative Mode is.  I loved MC, but after awhile playing in creative mode, I started to feel like there was no point, because it was just infinite.  Infinite power to create, but with no real purpose other than to create more and more.  Build an epic thing, do nothing with it, build a bigger epic thing, do nothing with it, etc.  (I guess the purpose is to start a MC youtube channel and make ad money...)  I started feeling a lack of motivation to do anything because it was infinite power that didn't require earning.  I then tried to start new games in survival mode, but after a few minutes I would inevitably succumb to the temptation to give myself just one thing with creative mode, because it was too much of a pain to craft, and so it would begin...and end.

Heh, that's funny. I always play in survival mode because it just isn't fun to not have the fear of getting blown up by a creeper always present. :lol: Of course, I hardly build anything at all (besides powered railroads), even making my "home" out of whatever cave opening is handy and lighting the surrounding area sufficiently. I just enjoy spelunking in randomly generated caverns to see how far down the proverbial rabbit hole goes, I guess.

But that's a good point about Q - I do recall on ST:TNG how Q kept trolling Picard to try to get him to get the ship out of a precarious situation, and Picard generally refused because it would make things too easy.

I could see Twilight and the rest of the Mane 8 feeling the same way. While it would be a boon to have an instant school built with no money down, they may want the challenge of building it themselves. Though I admit, the one difference is there is a relationship between Discord and Fluttershy, and no such relationship existed (I think) between Q and a member of the Enterprise crew. So he may have felt compelled to do the ponies a favor because of her, even if they may have not asked for it.

And of course, with favors from Discord, there's probably always a price to pay at some point in the future. Just ask Garbunkle and Sir McBigguns. XD

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, Truffles said:

I pictured her laying on her stomach with her head propped up by one of her elbows, looking bored, wondering when the guy was going to be be finished back there contributing half his DNA to her cause. :)

Assuming that is even the process - it is possible that there isn't an actual mating (eggs externally fertilized, say) and we don't know what the incubation period is unless magically assisted; it is possible Spike wasn't meant to hatch for hundreds of years yet, and possibly even it was a test Twilight was meant to fail, except.. rainboom, massive surge in magical power level, parents into cacti, and sudden cutie mark....

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Assuming that is even the process - it is possible that there isn't an actual mating (eggs externally fertilized, say) and we don't know what the incubation period is unless magically assisted; it is possible Spike wasn't meant to hatch for hundreds of years yet, and possibly even it was a test Twilight was meant to fail, except.. rainboom, massive surge in magical power level, parents into cacti, and sudden cutie mark....

All very possible. Though if that's the case, then dragons must have the worst experience of child-rearing among any species around Equestria. XD No intimacy or fun whatsoever in producing or raising the child, and then

Spoiler

the child gets kicked out as soon as they get their first case of zits.

Your theory might infer then if the eggs are unhatched for so long, that any affection they have for their kids might be in the form of the egg being just another "treasure" in their hoard, and once it hatches it's less of a treasure and more of a burden.

Admittedly, it does all fit in with the "loveless" nature of MLP dragons (other than Spike), though that does fly in the face of much historical dragon lore from other franchises. In this episode, (to try to get back on topic again, lol) Ember did say the most important thing to a dragon (besides their hoard) was competition. Maybe I'll have to go off and think of a way procreation that is competitive could work? XD

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Truffles said:

All very possible. Though if that's the case, then dragons must have the worst experience of child-rearing among any species around Equestria. XD No intimacy or fun whatsoever in producing or raising the child, and then

I am struck by the irony that we are two Dragons discussing this :)

Seriously though, 

Spoiler

While I have deliberately avoided the leaks, I believe from comments made here that there is a Spike episode coming up that might shed more light on this.

• Brohoof 2

I really enjoyed the season 8 premiere! The only thing I did not like was how long it took Twilight to realize her school students weren't happy. But overall, a well thought way to introduce new characters.

Well, it's that time of the year again. Hooray!

This was a decent premiere, a lot better than last season's premiere which was basically filler. Interesting how much Equestria has changed since the Mane 6 were established. Zebras, dragons, griffons and draconequus were once outcasts and deemed incapable of friendship which is why the EEA's guidelines don't work in the modern world. Since then, friendship has been spread far beyond just ponykind thanks to the adventures of the Mane 7. It's like real life legislations, they need to be updated as technology and ideals progress or else they're no longer relevant, stuck in the past.

Unfortunately, I missed the movie. I never got an opportunity to see it. So I'm out of the loop about these hippogriffs and seaponies although I'm familiar with the former race from other fiction. A friendship school to teach races all over the world was a great idea but despite that, it was inhibited by the rules enforced by Chancellor Neighsay of the EEA. He doesn't approve of non-pony students attending the school, thinks they're not fit to learn friendship lessons, even though 6 students all of different races were getting along fine, completely unaided by the teachers whose ability to teach is rendered ineffective and boring by the council's restrictions placed on the school. Of the new students we're introduced to, I like Yona, Gallus and Silverstream the most.

"STAIRS!" Hehe.

So Twilight's solution to ditch the EEA was the best case scenario. Kudos to Starlight once more for helping her see it. Rules are good but only if they're fair. I'm interested to see how this one of a kind unaccredited school will develop in the future and what kind of lessons the students will learn. Similar to Starlight, they'll probably have to figure out some lessons independently. However experienced the Mane 6 are, their teachings will always be second best to actually learning it themselves but hopefully, they can help out and offer advice.

On 3/30/2018 at 8:24 PM, Querch said:

Another thing that bothered me a little was Neighsay's over-acting.

Well, given Maurice freaking LaMarche was voicing him, hammy action WAS to be expected, given his other roles.

(edited)
On 3/26/2018 at 10:46 PM, ImpctR said:

Now, the very nice parts to see in this episode was all the creature races in one places and their interaction. i see that there are plot holes if you have not watched The Movie.

Well, now that I have watched The Movie, some things start making sense and to say final things in a spoiler:

Spoiler

Of course the expansion of the map meant nothing, other than perhaps expanding to far pony worlds of Egyptian ponies, Asian ponies and Yaks. Now the movie showed a great desert, a merchant/junker city, parrot pirates (soo Pirates of the Carribean) and there... the Hyppogriffs, a creature I couldn't recognize in Season 8 looking like a pegasus, gryphon or both?  It brought so many nice memories of the Warcraft lore and I consider hyppogriffs cool. The typical concept is a bit ponified which made it hard to compare.

This is the typical concept of a Hyppogryph (or Hyppogriff) and in MLP and The Movie the deer antlers are missing but maybe we see a birdlike front.

34844e7b25d6ae58a0d2e0f752fabf96.jpg

Like I said, they quickly became my favorite creatures there besides the pegasi and some unicorns and alicorns more than Dragons and Gryphons.

The Orb by Queen Novo now explains the transformation of seemingly air creatures into sea ponies, else made no sense! I like Silverstream the most of the school six but I do not like the pretentious tone - 'I was like SOOOOOOOOO... and SHEEES LIKE WHATEVER,,,,,,, it annoys me within any usage of US language frankly). But hey since MLP is americanized. 

And to say more about the name they mentioned with the Season 8 premiere, Tempest - it would be awesome to have an episode with her, she may be staying around in some secluded area. I started liking her and the movie was not bad... I did not find what so wrong with it other than many mentioned it was gonna be about the pillars but it has no connection while you need it for Season 8 in advance.

Edited by ImpctR

Y'know, in an animatic, Neighsay's magic was shown to be green, while in the episode proper, his magic is orange. Green magic usually used for antagonists (with Sweetie Belle as the sole exception to my memory), so it makes me wonder if they changed the color for being too on the nose and making it too obvious that Neighsay is a bad guy.

(edited)

Something powerful that one guy commented on DeviantART regarding the "Student Six":

These six and Neighsay's reaction to them remind me of T'Challa's address to the U.N. from the mid-credits scene from "Black Panther"...

"We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis, the wise build bridges while the foolish build barriers".

Twilight created the school to bridge the differences between these creatures and their cultures while Chancellor Neighsay shut down the school with his seal as a barrier against such interaction.

Edited by Shabb3r
  • Brohoof 2

It seems I am very late to this discussion. I don't have cable tv so I had to watch a reaction to it on YouTube. I hope I'm not being ill-mannered in posting this... :rarity:

So here it goes! :P

I really enjoyed this premiere. Yes, there were minor things that didn't make sense and/or bugged me (I sure hope the dialogue at the beginning was not writing out all of the movie characters, but at the same they were tying in the movie to the show so...), but overall I thought it was one of the best premieres in a long time. As far as world-building goes, this one was top notch. We get to see so many new characters and creatures, and I honestly thought it was going to be too much for them to handle at once, but all the characters were very well balanced out. I think this episode finally broke all my doubts I still had about Starlight and the fact that she still wasn't exactly one of my favorite characters. I admit it now; she truly is one of the best characters on the show now.

I sure hope we get to see more of what happens to the school throughout this season!

So before I saw this premiere, I was really unsure and queasy about the whole idea of a school, but as I have said, it turned out very good. Well done so far staff! Well done!

P.S. Starlight is best Guidance Counselor 

• This topic was unfeatured and unpinned