164 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• School is closed, I HATED IT!
    • This school was lame; time for hooky. >_>
    • It was...meh.
    • I like it; could be better though.
    • BUCK THE EEA! I LOVED IT!!!

• 6 months later...

It was pretty enjoyable, and while some aspects felt forced the majority of the episode was good, the second song was great(the first pretty mediocre), and while it took a while for me to be on board with the school and the students they eventually grown on me and proved to play an important role in the end. The chancellor, while a racist he really does have equestrias best intentions at heart but he is just misguided(considering that many other nations and monsters attacked the ponies, I can understand from where he comes from).   While this is arguably my least favorite 2 part episode(the other is the crystalling) its still a decent episode.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Last Season, we did great saving Equestria from friendship problems! In this Season, let's open a school!

I seriously though MLP was about to die when this episode aired. The way the show was taken didn't seem like it was targeted for adventure anymore, but for more simple teaching moments. I was wrong!

The school was barely noticeable during the entire season, and we got a really good villain with it. This episode was very misguided, telling us to expect something that wouldn't happen all the way into Season 9, and even then, it didn't really happen.

Look, I know. I know friendship seems like a weird thing to teach in a school. I know it's weird that the mane six are teaching when they have other jobs. I know that some of Neighsay's points are accurate. I know that a good quarter of this is exposition. But I truly, truly love this mess. I love seeing the mane six stand up against racism, xenophobia, and ethnic nationalism. I love how the students bond over skipping classes. I love how Twilight ditches the EEA's corrupt old rulebook in favour of a radical ethos of trust and compassion. And it's also so funny, and has one of the best songs to come from this show in some time, and the story seems built from the characters just as much as from the story.  This is as close as the show has come to a reboot, and not coincidentally, it's the closest the new writing crew ever came to reconciling their vision with the show with characters and a setting derived from an older one. I think this is wonderful, even with all its imperfections. 

Other thoughts:

• It's a shame how this season turned out, but what we see here is the mane six filling adult roles and dealing with adult anxieties. Of course that was never sustainable in a children's show... but it's still disappointing. 
  • Starlight isn't stealing the spotlight here because it makes sense why Twilight's friends wouldn't do the same. They had complained about the rulebook earlier, but they also wanted to comfort her. Meanwhile, Starlight is kind of a jerk, so she didn't even hesitate to rudely tell Twilight what she should have done. That is a role that nobody else could fill. That is the role that feels right for her. 
  • Twilight's excitement over writing the rulebook is soooooo Twilight. 
  • Dragons and yaks share a mutual love of breaking things. 
  • Watching the references to the movie early on reminded me how much slavery was in the movie. What a mess that was. 
  • Thorax being friendly is adorable. This show needed more Thorax. I liked how Ember got suspicious of him, and all he had to say was "but we're friends." 

• 1 year later...

I thought the concept of a school and learning about friendship was completely asinine and it goes against the concept of the show from the get go. There's subverting our expectations and then there's running out of ideas.

Plus, it doesn't help that it feels corporately mandated.

Also, I don't like the fact that this episode has to be in-your-face with it's message because I don't wanted to be reminded that realty existed as I watch the show to escape reality.

Plus, this is the first episode we get to introduced to the Student Six, and yeah I'm not a big fan of them since they're not all that interesting and find them very annoying and boring.

• Brohoof 2

2 hours ago, JMTV99 said:

Plus, this is the first episode we get to introduced to the Student Six, and yeah I'm not a big fan of them since they're not all that interesting and find them very annoying and boring.

The worst characters on the entire show. :dry: Every time they're on screen, they make me want to punch them all in the face! :angry:

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

I thought this was an awesome Season opener, even though there was no Villain this time, all the new Characters,Species and lore coming together was just awesome to see.

I also like the Student Six, as someone on here called them, i specially like the Changeling Girl ( i didnt learned their names yet :laugh: ) and...the Seapony character.

Someone warned me about the Student Six episodes, but i already like the new group so much, i dont think i have a problem with them. Im hooked to finally watch Season 8. :squee:

I find it weird though that the school was closed, just because they didnt got all problematic student problems solved after just a single Day...you cant make everyone a good pupil in a Day! Specially not if its the Main Sixs first school ! Who would close a school so fast, specially if the mentioned school is supposed to make peace among all Species? What a dumb decision!

• 2 years later...

This is not a strong season opening to say the least. The idea of the school is poorly executed, though the Student 6 aren't all bad - if they were just individual characters who became friends throughout the show that would have been more interesting than a school of friendship. I really like Neighsay, though - he has a good point, the students did endanger the lives of ponies with their recklessness, though I do not like the word "creature" referring to the Griffons, Yaks, and Changelings collectively. 

A lot of this season and the rest of the show feels corporate and mandated by Hasbro rather than good plot came up by people who actually liked that they writing. 

• Hugs 1