What did you think of the episode?  

164 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• School is closed, I HATED IT!
    • This school was lame; time for hooky. >_>
    • It was...meh.
    • I like it; could be better though.
    • BUCK THE EEA! I LOVED IT!!!

I'm a little skeptical of how well this will be received. This is going to be "a low stakes for Equestria" premiere and after the lukewarm reception "The Crystalling" got and having more of a slice-of-life premiere last Season, is engagement going to be there? Then again, this is going to be a premiere more involved for all the characters, despite the lower stakes, and standing up to authority is always an easy thing to relate to so it could definitely feel like a unique experience. I'm excited either way.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, KH7672 said:

I'm a little skeptical of how well this will be received. This is going to be "a low stakes for Equestria" premiere and after the lukewarm reception "The Crystalling" got and having more of a slice-of-life premiere last Season, is engagement going to be there? Then again, this is going to be a premiere more involved for all the characters, despite the lower stakes, and standing up to authority is always an easy thing to relate to so it could definitely feel like a unique experience. I'm excited either way.

I think the problem with the crystalling wasn't low stakes, but the fact that they conflict was forced and they pushed in a major end of the crystal empire moment when the episode didn't need it, also the baby being annoying mostly. I think this will be a we l received do ale because after s6 and s7 people likely aren't expecting g a big high stakes premiere.

Just now, Ryanmahaffe said:

...because after s6 and s7 people likely aren't expecting a big high stakes premiere.

I don't know aren't they? You said it yourself, we haven't had a premiere like that for the past two seasons. (I say partly three as "The Cutie Map" was only high stakes for the Mane 6, not all of Equestria) I could see plenty of people clamoring for a return to form. Still, it is such an easier premise to have when it comes to a complete story, if Recess and Hey Arnold! have taught me anything, there is no way it shouldn't be well written enough to be engaging. I know I'll like it but I'm not going to be surprised if that complaint comes up.

4 minutes ago, Karnak said:

Welp, I guess this proves that Dragons and Griffins have quite a bit in common. 

They already said in S5's "Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" that "in ancient times, Griffons were known to be as greedy as Dragons", until they found a golden idol that filled them more with pride than greed. So this is nothing new.

Edited by WiiGuy2014
Word correction
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

They already said in S5's "Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" that "in ancient times, Griffons were known to be as greedy as Dragons", until they found a golden idol that filled them more with pride than greed. So this is nothing new.

I mean its more likely for them to be friends with eachother then other creatures. 

Spoiler

vlcsnap-2018-02-17-22h35m18s98.png

Claw Bump.

Edited by Karnak
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

Being greedy isn't really something to bond others though, I think what he meant was that their hard headedness kinda brings them together, at least the younger ones like these two in the trailer.

5 hours ago, Karnak said:

I mean its more likely for them to be friends with eachother then other creatures. 

Hide contents

vlcsnap-2018-02-17-22h35m18s98.png

Claw Bump.

2 hours ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

Being greedy isn't really something to bond others though, I think what he meant was that their hard headedness kinda brings them together, at least the younger ones like these two in the trailer.

I know that. I'm not an idiot.:okiedokieloki:

22 minutes ago, WiiGuy2014 said:

I know that. I'm not an idiot.:okiedokieloki:

And he didn't call you an idiot. He raised a salient fact in a civil manner. No need to take offense or get emotional over it. 

Going back to the Crystaling vs. this episode debate, I'm starting to feel we need a less broad definition on what constitutes 'high stakes'.  High stakes doesn't always mean a world ending event is on the horizon. Can we honestly call, regardless of execution, the season six premier low stakes considering the threat to life of almost every major character, and long term consequences of the end of the Crystal Empire?

Just now, Jeric said:

And he didn't call you an idiot. He raised a salient fact in a civil manner. No need to take offense or get emotional over it. 

Going back to the Crystaling vs. this episode debate, I'm starting to feel we need a less broad definition on what constitutes 'high stakes'.  High stakes doesn't always mean a world ending event is on the horizon. Can we honestly call, regardless of execution, the season six premier low stakes considering the threat to life of almost every major character, and long term consequences of the end of the Crystal Empire?

I'm Sorry. it's 3 in the morning and I'm cranky about it. Didn't mean to lash out like that. 

Still I agree that the possible end of the Crystal Empire in the Crystalling is just as high stakes as all other "world-ending" episodes. Can we at least agree on that?

• Brohoof 1

Just now, WiiGuy2014 said:

Still I agree that the possible end of the Crystal Empire in the Crystalling is just as high stakes as all other "world-ending" episodes. Can we at least agree on that?

Definitely. I think the slow build of the Crystalling may be why some feel the opposite, though I would argue that at least one finale did something very similar (Canterlot Wedding) where the entire first half until the end was a simple SoL episode with just personal stakes for Twilight. 

Ok, another non-villain premiere but its Ok. At least i think it wont be dull just like Crystalling or unimpactful like Celestial Advice, it might be another game-changing premiere without 'high-stake' and very fun to watch.

I dont like friendship school idea, it just too silly for me but ok, whatever, those new characters are nice (especially the changeling one), its fun to see the new generation of each race interact with each other.

After 3 seasons, as a Princess of Friendship, Twilight finally do something 'grand' to suit her title.

The friendship concept in this show starting to be... too unnatural to me.

My little pony: Friendship is Magic.

Ok, ok, fineeeeee...

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Lambdadelta said:

Ok, another non-villain premiere but its Ok. At least i think it wont be dull just like Crystalling or unimpactful like Celestial Advice, it might be another game-changing premiere without 'high-stake' and very fun to watch.

Spoiler

If I'm right, all finals and premiers from now on have a villain. Just enjoy your last non villain premier. :twi:

Oh no, if they don't sing a few songs together the zoo ... I mean the park ... I mean the restaurant ... I mean the store ... I mean the school will be closed! If only Twilight had authority of a princess!

24 minutes ago, Goat-kun said:

Oh no, if they don't sing a few songs together the zoo ... I mean the park ... I mean the restaurant ... I mean the store ... I mean the school will be closed! If only Twilight had authority of a princess!

She is the Rodney Dangerfield of the five Princesses. :P

• Brohoof 1

31 minutes ago, Jeric said:

She is the Rodney Dangerfield of the five Princesses. :P

Discord, can you give the appropriate face for my response?

5a898261649cd_download(22).jpeg.35e7d696a6839767563ed51472a7c9fa.jpeg

Thank you. *Clear throat* 

"Twilight gets no respect. No respect at all!"

Is that why you made the connection,  @Jeric?

6 hours ago, Jeric said:

Definitely. I think the slow build of the Crystalling may be why some feel the opposite, though I would argue that at least one finale did something very similar (Canterlot Wedding) where the entire first half until the end was a simple SoL episode with just personal stakes for Twilight. 

Well, previous two parters with the exception of maybe The Cutie Map were the entire world/universe is at risk, where as the Crystalling seemed to be exclusively a Crystal Empire problem, and it is not that the stakes weren't there, it was that they felt forced in with the other things going on and the impact and weight of the stakes never really hit. Of course that is just my opinion, I enjoyed the Crystalling for the character interactions, but it is my least favorite two parter overall.

While School Daze doesn't have high stakes (Maybe) I am excited for new characters and seeing Twilight stand up to authority. Who knows, maybe Chancellor Neighsay will be a villain, maybe we will get finale foreshadowing. I am hyped either way.

Edited by Ryanmahaffe

52 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

it was that they felt forced in with the other things going on and the impact and weight of the stakes never really hit.

Care to elaborate on what you mean by 'felt forced'. 

Just now, Jeric said:

Care to elaborate on what you mean by 'felt forced'. 

We had many different plot lines happening, with the Starburst reunion, Shining Armors breakdown, and the baby being an Alicorn, it already felt hectic (though in a silly way, not in a bad one) and then Flurry Heart destroys the Crystal Heart, which yeah why not. But it felt like it added tension because it's a two parter and it needs stakes. The heart breaking kinda came out of left field and suddenly bam, clouds are going to destroy everything. I don't think the Crystalling would have been better or worse without those stakes, but I did feel like they were forced.

58 minutes ago, Ryanmahaffe said:

We had many different plot lines happening, with the Starburst reunion...But it felt like it added tension because it's a two parter and it needs stakes. The heart breaking kinda came out of left field and suddenly bam, clouds are going to destroy everything. I don't think the Crystalling would have been better or worse without those stakes, but I did feel like they were forced.

That's the thing is with the stakes. If the stakes weren't there, Starlight never would have truely reconciled. In truth what reason did she have to actually reunite with Sunburst. Sure she would have disappointed Twilight but this was her first lesson, she was already unsure of herself and was perfectly content with Spike's reassurance of her. However, what those stakes did for her was to actually face Sunburst (similar to Sunset and Celestia in FF). She was not going to turn away and mope now because this isn't just her happiness on the line now. While I admit there were a lot of subplots, they did intersect and build off each other nicely.