Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When did you first feel like an adult?

Reecejackox

I think the year would have been 1993? I was a teenager; driving myself to school, then work, then feeding myself and paying in for part of the mortgage. It hits you when you realize that your responsibilities aren't the restriction you thought they were, but more that this is what grown-ups meant for you to learn to handle gracefully when they preached responsibility.

Late 2017 is when I realized it. Looking back at what I've accomplished, and what I've yet to accomplish. All that's really left for me is to get a better job, move out with my friends, and turn 21... then I'll truly feel like an adult.

• Brohoof 1

I got married 3 years ago almost now. However I didn't first realize I was an adult until I was with my ex when I was 19 and saw how much I had to do everything in that relationship to the point where it was clear that I was an adult taking care of a child more or less.

When I traveled on my own for some special studies away from home. I would say I've grown from a child to adult overnight, skipping my teens. Didn't take well having to return with my family to say the least 

• Brohoof 1

I don't know. It's complicated, like super complicated.

Why is it complicated? Because of everything that happened in my life when I was 18 and how it effected me. I can say that year flipped my whole life upside down. It can be said that my childhood was clearly marked as over that year... As beforehand life was happy, hopeful and peaceful, whereas after I had realized that nothing was guaranteed and the hopeful "normal" future I thought I had to look forward to vanished suddenly.

My childhood ended right there... Simple, right? No, not really. My reaction to everything that happened was not to grow up, it was to shut down. At age 18 I officially gave up on adulting - living independently, driving, etc. The only thing I really kept up was college. Yet... Here I am 10 years later, in college again. It really looks like I'm being a responsible adult and furthering myself toward a career. However, let me tell you it's nothing of the sort. It's more like I'm keeping myself in college because I'm keeping myself in that bubble.

So... Pretty complicated. I don't really know how to answer this question in any other way. It's messed up. It would take an actual miracle for me to really become an "adult".

• Brohoof 1

Since I started going to college, I knew things won't be the same as they used to be, I live far away from my friends and family, from my city, from my home.

I'm living now on my own only that I'm getting financial support from my parents, but now I understand how adulthood feels like, it's a pain in the ass, but that's reality.

Edited by Guest

I have yet to feel like an adult, and I probably never will. I may have to pay rent and work for a living, but I keep a youthful outlook on it regardless. Even when I'm driving my car I don't feel like an adult; I think of it more like an amusement park ride. I'll cling to my youth until I'm six feet under. :proud:

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure I feel like an adult yet.

I mean, I earn a decent living, rent a flat, got to pay all the bills and all that jazz normally associated withe being all gwown oop, but that's all superficial crap. I feel more like kindergarten kid that got bigger toys to play with :P

• Brohoof 1

I may feel like an adult but it doesn't stay that way. It's an off and on thing. There are times where I'm dependent, clueless and just plain wrong, still learning like a teen. Then there are times where I'm independent or make a brave choice, handling all my bussiness that I do feel like an adult. 

I guess it was when I decided to take the ASVAB test. See where my skills lie and if military life would be a fit for me. It was MY choice and I had the power of an adult to make it.

• Brohoof 1

First felt like an adult when I was able to buy 18-rated DVD's from HMV... which I've been able to do since age 16 thanks to my balding head and facial hair at the time.

Then again, I felt PROPERLY like an adult when I graduated from University... you've come out of your education into the wide world and it all creeps up on you.

• Brohoof 1

The first time I felt it for real was probably when I bought a house. Somehow that's always seemed even more adult-like to me than having a job or a car. It's disconcerting to find out that being an adult doesn't automatically mean you know what you're doing, though.

I don't think  i will ever feel like "adult" till  I'm 80. I still got a lots more to learn and grow.  

I'm not a "legal" adult quite yet, though I will be later this same year.

I have felt more grown up though this past year or so. I got my first job last spring and I'll buying my first car with all my own money this summer (Yay for me!). I think I'll feel even more grown up when I graduate High School in 2019, because then I won't have anything really tying me to my home and I could move across the country to go to college if I wanted (not that I will, the colleges I've been looking at have been within the same state or just across state lines)- but still the fact that I could will be pretty neat.