Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Movie's shining moment

Moonfire Dusk

What do you think was the best part of the mlp movie? Was it the songs that sent chills down your back, or the new characters and expanded Equestria, or the animation so stunning and flowing you didn't know what to do?

There were a few moments that really stood out for me. Granted, it's somewhat hard to point to ONE moment, but then again, I just enjoyed this movie too much. :D

1. "Open Up Your Eyes" and "Rainbow" - Both songs at least have something to do with Tempest, which really shows what the movie's main focus was. Like Sunset Shimmer in Rainbow Rocks, we see Tempest Shadow's background, development, and eventual redemption that leads to her epiphany. When it happens, it feels big.

2. "It's Time To Be Awesome" - I love this song in general, but the moment that sells it is when the pirates "show those little ponies how it's done" when they unfurl the ships true colors, and BY GOD it was so beautiful! It really shows the pirates symbolically freeing themselves from the Storm King's servitude and going back to what made them awesome. Great stuff!

3. Lastly; Twilight descending from the clouds with the Storm King's staff, and reunion with her friends. This group were really put to the breaking point through most of the movie; Twilight especially after seeing her mentor and the other princesses frozen, betrayed by Capper, thrown out of Seaquestria after attempting to take the pearl, and most importantly; the threat Tempest and the Storm King always on the horizon. That moment where she lands and s engulfed in a hug and just seeing her soak in that moment...it really puts a cap on their struggles. A beautiful moment.

• Brohoof 5

The animation was really, really beautiful. :pinkie: The story was less great, but the songs and animation totally made up for it. That rainboom was perfect, and same goes with to the part where Twilights magic was drown by the storm king. ^_^

• Brohoof 2

7 minutes ago, Hierok said:

The animation was really, really beautiful. :pinkie: The story was less great, but the songs and animation totally made up for it. That rainboom was perfect, and same goes with to the part where Twilights magic was drown by the storm king. ^_^

I totally agree with absolutely everything you said!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

The best part for me was the scene on the beach after Twilight's failed heist. I agreed with Twilight's decision to steal the pearl, although I figured she'd have more of a plan than 'grab it when no one's looking', but I also understood the anger of her friends calling her out on it. I particularly liked it when Twilight snapped and sparked her horn when she shouted at Pinkie, just because it showed exactly how angry she was at that moment. Aside from that, it was also a great narrative move to split Twilight up from her friends, without the contrivance most movies use for such a thing.

• Brohoof 2

To be honest, I think it's hard to pinpoint a certain thing about the movie that was better than the rest! The music, the animation, the expansion of the overall lore... all of it was just amazing. What they didn't do for the characters in a new-fans-seeing-it-for-the-first-time kind of way, they made up for by showing realistic conflict between close friends.

No matter how I look at the movie I still find something beautiful. I'm really hoping that their next film has just as much love put into it as this one!

• Brohoof 1

Not a "moment", as such...  but I nominate the quality of the animation.

I think it was nice how it was noticeably better than the show.  Unlike (say) the Simpsons movie, which just felt like a long episode of the normal cartoon.  If the Simpsons movie was a bigger slice of the same cake, then this was the same cake with better icing (if that analogy makes sense!).

• Brohoof 1

I could listen to "Time to Be Awesome" on repeat. I keep hearing new things in the instrumentation every time. The little background vocal fills during Capt. Celaeno's verse (not to mention Zoe Saldana's jaw-dropping singing!), the pennywhistle melody in the chorus, Spike's drum fills, I love it all.

• Brohoof 3

There were a number of good bits, but I think my favorite was oddly the opening, from the logos up through the pegasus flyby.  The orchestral buildup was fantastic, and they really got to show off the new animations capabilities. 

Despite what I've said about the movie's flaws--not necessarily here mind you--to me, my favourite moments have to do with the Storm King. Despite not having as much screen time as the other movie exclusive characters--Songbird Serenade notwithstanding--the times he is seen are hilarious as he isn't what I would call a typical villain. Sure, he desires power as well as domination over Equestria, yet he has a humorous take in that he jokes about certain things and has a slight business-like mentality. If he had been allowed to have more scenes, he would've been even better than what we were ultimately given.

• Brohoof 1

23 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Despite what I've said about the movie's flaws--not necessarily here mind you--to me, my favourite moments have to do with the Storm King. Despite not having as much screen time as the other movie exclusive characters--Songbird Serenade notwithstanding--the times he is seen are hilarious as he isn't what I would call a typical villain. Sure, he desires power as well as domination over Equestria, yet he has a humorous take in that he jokes about certain things and has a slight business-like mentality. If he had been allowed to have more scenes, he would've been even better than what we were ultimately given.

I agree with this, yeah! Not only was he beautifully animated to show so much emotion in each frame that was unique to his character, you get a lot of funny moments even though we all know he's the "bad guy" of the film. 

I'm also a bit of a sucker for lackluster-type villains, though, so I know I can't say much. I find it so much more entertaining when they aren't powerful on their own. There's a lot more to a character that actively uses other people--or ponies!--to their own benefit. It really shows you what makes them the villain in the first place! Really good change of pace from the physically powerful ones that we've had in the season finales past. :D

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, stipstick said:

I agree with this, yeah! Not only was he beautifully animated to show so much emotion in each frame that was unique to his character, you get a lot of funny moments even though we all know he's the "bad guy" of the film. 

I'm also a bit of a sucker for lackluster-type villains, though, so I know I can't say much. I find it so much more entertaining when they aren't powerful on their own. There's a lot more to a character that actively uses other people--or ponies!--to their own benefit. It really shows you what makes them the villain in the first place! Really good change of pace from the physically powerful ones that we've had in the season finales past. :D

Had he been given one or two more small scenes in-between the two that he got, he could've had a much bigger impact than what ended up happening. Despite him being the main antagonist, Tempest had more presence thus making her the true antagonist with the Storm King just being there.

8 hours ago, Ganondorf8 said:

Had he been given one or two more small scenes in-between the two that he got, he could've had a much bigger impact than what ended up happening. Despite him being the main antagonist, Tempest had more presence thus making her the true antagonist with the Storm King just being there.

Good point there!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Everything about Tempest, her background, showing the cowardice, and betrayal that she knew as friendship. Tempests rise, "Open up your eyes"... Mine is also when Tempest speaks to Twilight during the concert, you could feel the pain in her positioning, she had no place, but Twilight after first displaying to her with the other Mane 6 what trust, sacrifice and teamwork look like, and then giving her a place, and acknowledging her is the best part of the whole movie for me.

Edited by Aquaflame

• 1 month later...

Open Up Your Eyes was such a powerful and stirring moment in the film; the way Tempest was shunned by her friends and how it affected the direction her life would take. That was sad, but the subtle way they showed a smile of resolve on her face when she turned it into determination made me shiver (with delight). Also, when Tempest told Twilight that friendship had failed her, only to have Twilight admit that she had failed friendship was almost shocking. To see how far Twi had come over the course of the show, and then to have her stumble in her efforts was very real, believable and poignant. :twi:

Oh, and Tempest revealing her real name (and Pinkie's reaction). That was pretty hard to beat. :lol:

• Brohoof 1

That one part where Fluttershy got angry and smashed the Storm King around like a ragdoll