Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

NASCAR/Auto Racing Discussion

Patty Thundersnow

On 7/1/2018 at 11:05 PM, Pat 'The Blizzard' Thundersnow said:

To answer your question, I HATED THE WAY THE RACE ENDED. Cryle knew he couldn't beat Larson so he dumped him for the win.

So, i'll be honest.  I was there at Chicagoland (home track for me) and at the time we all boo'd Kyle Busch.  But after thinking about it, and watching the replay, I don't think Busch meant to spin Larson.  Looked more like was trying for a bump-and-run, just hit a bit too hard and Larson couldn't hold onto it.  And let's all admit if Dale Sr. did that we'd all be cheering, lol.  Cryle Busch (love that nickname!) is a whiner, but I gotta give him that one.  He and Larson were racing hard...

8 hours ago, Pat 'The Blizzard' Thundersnow said:

I don't really particularly like Drag Racing. I have all the respect in the world of the drivers of the series, particularly to John Force.

I don't really watch Nascar like I used to pre COT. But I do watch a lot of drag racing videos, mostly street builds. If I had the money I'd build a car myself.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:41 PM, Hachiroku said:

I don't really watch Nascar like I used to pre COT. But I do watch a lot of drag racing videos, mostly street builds. If I had the money I'd build a car myself.

NASCAR has shot itself in the foot with all the rule changes.

Here's what's going on in the world of NASCAR this morning

Kevin Harvick and Kasey Kahne were both penalized 10 points for failing post qualifying inspection three times last weekend at Pocono. 

In other news, as we draw ever closer to one of the most fun races of the year, the Bojangles Southern 500 at Darlington (Exactly one month from today), the throwback paint schemes continue to be released by the teams. Highlights of the recent releases include Joey Logano driving a throwback/tribute to Steve Park, Ryan Newman driving a tribute to Neil Bonnett, and Jimmie Johnson driving a throwback to the 200th win of Hendrick Motorsports back in 2012.

The Monster Energy NCS and Xfinity Series head to Watkins Glen, NY for their annual stop at Watkins Glen International. 

Saturday begins a stretch of 3 out of the next 4 races in the Xfinity series being on Road courses. Kyle Busch, who is not in the field, won it last year

Sunday marks the second and final TRUE road course race of the season, with the Go Bowling at the Glen race. Martin Truex Jr. is the defending champion of the race.

• Brohoof 1

Some news from the world of NASCAR, following the Go Bowling at the Glen

Chase Elliott finally picked up his first win in the Monster Energy NCS this afternoon at Watkins Glen International. He had sprited battles with both Kyle Busch and Martin Truex Jr, never falling lower than 5th in the race. An official finishing lineup will be added when NASCAR releases it.

• Brohoof 2

4 hours ago, Pat 'The Blizzard' Thundersnow said:

Some news from the world of NASCAR, following the Go Bowling at the Glen

Chase Elliott finally picked up his first win in the Monster Energy NCS this afternoon at Watkins Glen International. He had sprited battles with both Kyle Busch and Martin Truex Jr, never falling lower than 5th in the race. An official finishing lineup will be added when NASCAR releases it.

Not a Chase Elliott fan but that was probably one of the best finishes I've seen in NASCAR for quite some time, if only the upcoming races have finishes just like that.

4 hours ago, Chrysalis14 said:

Not a Chase Elliott fan but that was probably one of the best finishes I've seen in NASCAR for quite some time, if only the upcoming races have finishes just like that.

Chase being my favorite driver, I was cheering him on throughout the entire race. And I agree, this was a fantastic ending to the race. This is why the Cup series should race on 3 REAL road courses per season, and I do not consider the "roval" to be a road course.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

This week in Auto Racing

NASCAR is heading back to Michigan International Raceway for a rare Monster Energy NCS and Camping World Truck double header. 
MSNCS is Sunday with Truck series action early Saturday afternoon.

The Xfinity series is heading back to MId-Ohio for their annual race there.
Their race will be Saturday Afternoon.

The ARCA Racing series have this weekend off. Next race for them is the Allen Crowe Memorial 100 at the Springfield Mile on August 19th, the last day of the Illinois State Fair.

The Indycar series has this weekend off as well. Next race for them is their annual stop at Pocono on August 19th.

Formula 1 series has the weekend off as well. Next race for them will be the Belgian Grand Prix at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps on August 26th.

Edited by Pat 'The Blizzard' Thundersnow
  • Brohoof 1

Racing weekend in review

In Camping world truck series action this past Saturday, Brett Moffitt picked up his 4th win of the season, beating Johnny Sauter at the start finish line at Michigan by .025 seconds. The Truck series next heads to Bristol this upcoming Thursday Night.

The Xfinity series made their annual visit to the Mid Ohio Sportscar course. Justin Allgaier picked up his 3rd win of the season, rallying from a spin late in the going to take the lead with a handful of laps left. The Xfinity series next race is at Bristol Friday Night.

The Monster Energy Cup series had their second and final stop at Michigan of the year, with Kevin Harvick (yet again) winning for his 7th win of the season. The cup series heads to Bristol for their annual night race there Saturday Night.

I noticed NASCAR is not as popular as it was when I was kid or back in the 90s. I remember there was big buzz around Danica Patrick being in a Sonic racing game a few years ago. What happened? Did the public just lose interest or is the organization short on money? 

(edited)
7 hours ago, TransitPony said:

I noticed NASCAR is not as popular as it was when I was kid or back in the 90s. I remember there was big buzz around Danica Patrick being in a Sonic racing game a few years ago. What happened? Did the public just lose interest or is the organization short on money? 

NASCAR has alienated their original target fanbase, that being southern racing fans. This has been one of the major factors in the popularity falling. It also doesn't help that NASCAR has ripped up their rulebook (stage racing, crash clock, overfocus on winning races) and an inept CEO who doesn't know how to run the sport. There is also a lack of international interest right now as well. So, yes nascar is not as popular as it was when Jeff Gordon was dominating in the 90s. BUT, it's still one of the most profitable and popular spectator sports in the world despite the fall in popularity.

Edited by Pat 'The Blizzard' Thundersnow

From what I heard, it looks like that Brian France may not return to his role as CEO, with him no longer having the role, I think I can expect some changes for next season whoever is in the CEO role for next year.

• Brohoof 2

Fernando Alonso will not race in F1 in 2019. :o

I expected he would not drive there for long, but it still comes as a bit of a surprise... A new era is beginning – depending on whether Räikkönen stays at Ferrari, this could leave Hamilton as the most experienced driver on the grid, which would somehow feel quite weird. A shame to see one of the greatest drivers leave, even if it's understandable...

• Brohoof 5

8 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

Fernando Alonso will not race in F1 in 2019. :o

I expected he would not drive there for long, but it still comes as a bit of a surprise... A new era is beginning – depending on whether Räikkönen stays at Ferrari, this could leave Hamilton as the most experienced driver on the grid, which would somehow feel quite weird. A shame to see one of the greatest drivers leave, even if it's understandable...

He was probably one of the best drivers in his prime, he could have won 2 more championships if it weren't for circumstances in the final race of the season.

• Brohoof 3

3 minutes ago, Chrysalis14 said:

He was probably one of the best drivers in his prime, he could have won 2 more championships if it weren't for circumstances in the final race of the season.

Yeah, in both 2010 and 2012 he was in position for the title in the early stages of the last race, and 2007 was pretty close too. Two championships is still more than most drivers will ever achieve, though I think he deserved a better ending to his F1 career than the last couple of years he's had...

• Brohoof 5

5 hours ago, Tacodidra said:

Yeah, in both 2010 and 2012 he was in position for the title in the early stages of the last race, and 2007 was pretty close too. Two championships is still more than most drivers will ever achieve, though I think he deserved a better ending to his F1 career than the last couple of years he's had...

As far as I'm concerned, Fernando DEFINATELY deserves a better end to his F1 career. he's a heck of a driver. 

WIth him leaving F1, it certainly makes things interesting in the US now. He could go to Indycar or NASCAR, both of which I'd love to see. Alonso has expressed interest in the past in trying some NASCAR, so we'll see where it goes in the coming months.

• Brohoof 3

5 hours ago, Pat 'The Blizzard' Thundersnow said:

As far as I'm concerned, Fernando DEFINATELY deserves a better end to his F1 career. he's a heck of a driver. 

WIth him leaving F1, it certainly makes things interesting in the US now. He could go to Indycar or NASCAR, both of which I'd love to see. Alonso has expressed interest in the past in trying some NASCAR, so we'll see where it goes in the coming months.

As he already did the Indy 500 (and was very competitive for a rookie), I wouldn't be surprised to see him there again. And there don't seem to be any scheduling conflicts with the World Endurance Championship where he is already driving in addition to F1. :)

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, TransitPony said:

Speaking of F1, what's the state of F1 in the U.S. and how would the F1 world be if Ayrton Senna was still alive?

It's not that popular in the US, I'm afraid... Due to various factors, I would say. While the United States Grand Prix is back in the calendar, and there's an American constructor (Haas), the fact that there's no American driver on the grid really harms its chances... Along with the disaster that was the 2005 United States Grand Prix, with six cars starting the race – that was one of the worst things that could have happened to F1's attempts to get popular stateside.

As for the Senna question, hard to say... After his death, many improvements were made to the safety in F1. If the crash had never happened, we might have seen other fatal crashes which didn't happen (it's unfortunate that the safety improvements are often made only in reaction to tragedies that already happened, rather than earlier to prevent them from happening).

The career of his nephew Bruno Senna might have been really different, as well. He had to stop karting at the age of 10 after his uncle's fatal crash. It took seven years for him to return to karting – in spite of missing many crucial years in his junior career, he came close to winning the GP2 championship and made it to F1 – I can't help but wonder what could have been with different circumstances...

• Brohoof 2

Does anyone here have driver lineup predictions for the 2019 F1 season? These are mine at the moment:

Mercedes: Hamilton & Bottas (both confirmed)

Ferrari: Vettel (confirmed) & Leclerc

Red Bull: Verstappen (confirmed) & Gasly

Renault: Ricciardo & Hulkenberg (both confirmed)

Haas: Magnussen & Perez

Force India: Ocon & Stroll

McLaren: Vandoorne & Sainz

Toro Rosso: Hartley & Norris

Sauber: Ericsson & Giovinazzi

Williams: Sirotkin & Kubica

• Brohoof 1