Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

NASCAR/Auto Racing Discussion

Patty Thundersnow

NASCAR officially heads to Charlotte this week for a double header of racing Friday and the all star race Saturday.

Meanwhile, Indy 500 qualifying begins Saturday, with qualifying for the pole on Sunday. 

We're just getting closer and closer to the greatest day in auto racing.

Hoping Memorial Day weekend goes the way I want it to as far as motorsports go. (and other things for that matter) Kimi for Monaco, Helio or Danica for the 500, and Jimmie Johnson in the 600. If I get that 3 for 3, I'll have to wipe the dirt off my chin from my jaw dropping through the floor.

(edited)

man, did anyone catch the All Star Race?  crazy!  back and forth for the lead over and over!  think I like the new package they were running.  Too bad we won't see it in the 600....

and while I WANT #2 Brad, i'm predicting #4 Harvick.  He's been on a roll this year.

(btw, @Shattered Pat Thundersnow, love your profile pic!  Woken Matt is awesome!  DELETE!!!!)

Edited by nx9100
  • Brohoof 1

I wish they would run the same package as they did for the All Star. I mean, pack racing on a mile and a half. That was awesome. 

I'll go with.........Elliott until he gets wrecked by someone, intentionally or not, and Kenseth as a dark horse pick. As always, I also wouldn't complain about Jimmie winning.

15 hours ago, nx9100 said:

man, did anyone catch the All Star Race?  crazy!  back and forth for the lead over and over!  think I like the new package they were running.  Too bad we won't see it in the 600....

and while I WANT #2 Brad, i'm predicting #4 Harvick.  He's been on a roll this year.

(btw, @Shattered Pat Thundersnow, love your profile pic!  Woken Matt is awesome!  DELETE!!!!)

I rather see someone win through talent rather than a lottery like Talladega, so yeah, keep the package for non-point races.

4 hours ago, Cyclone 1066 said:

I wish they would run the same package as they did for the All Star. I mean, pack racing on a mile and a half. That was awesome. .

I totally agree!  It was great watching them all running together, constantly shifting positions.  Take #22 Joey for example (he's my friend's fav, so we were watching him).  He would get into the top 4-5, then fall back, then race up to the front, then fall back, over and over.  Many of the drivers were doing the same thing.  Made for a much more exciting race!  

From what I understand, the team charter system they have now locks in a rules package for the season, not counting non-points races like the all star.  So while they won't use this package this year, it MAY show up for 2019!

• Brohoof 1

20 hours ago, nx9100 said:

I totally agree!  It was great watching them all running together, constantly shifting positions.  Take #22 Joey for example (he's my friend's fav, so we were watching him).  He would get into the top 4-5, then fall back, then race up to the front, then fall back, over and over.  Many of the drivers were doing the same thing.  Made for a much more exciting race!  

From what I understand, the team charter system they have now locks in a rules package for the season, not counting non-points races like the all star.  So while they won't use this package this year, it MAY show up for 2019!

I liked the fact that the racing was exciting, but that was from second on back. 

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Chrysalis14 said:

I just realised that if Jimmie doesn't win this weekend, it would be one year since he last won a race, let's hope he can break that drought soon.

He's had a couple of good runs the last few races. It's going to take a pit gamble to beat Harvick and Busch. Chad Knaus will have to come up with a strategy that gets him into the lead by the end of the 2nd stage, due to the threat of rain durning the race.

• 3 weeks later...

After a much needed weekend off for the Monster Energy series, they head out to the west coast to do some road racing in the NAPA valley. Yes, it's time for the first of "three" road races on the cup series schedule for this season, the first being at Sonoma Raceway. Traditionally, this has been my favorite race of the year. It will serve to be a great equilizer (much like the upcoming race next month at Daytona). 

Xfinity series get a weekend off following having a rare sunday race. Justin Allgaier picked up his 2nd win of the season on Sunday at Iowa Speedway.

The Truck series heads to the midwest for their annual stop at Gateway Motorsports park down in the St Louis Metro area. 

• 2 weeks later...

Am I seriously the only one who didn't like that ending to the Cup race? Admittedly I only caught like the last 60 laps so I am missing some context, but I am just disappointed that the bump-&-run is still a thing. This isn't only directed at Busch; kinda wish he didn't pull his move (though I don't blame the intentions). I dunno; we just had a stellar Formula 1 race full of drama and an epic 6-hour race at Watkins Glen with the IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship, and what do we get in NASCAR? Bump.

And Kyle Busch can shove it. Ugh.

Apologies to those that like that style of racing; just not for me. And neither is Kyle so there is that too.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, PathfinderCS said:

Am I seriously the only one who didn't like that ending to the Cup race? Admittedly I only caught like the last 60 laps so I am missing some context, but I am just disappointed that the bump-&-run is still a thing. This isn't only directed at Busch; kinda wish he didn't pull his move (though I don't blame the intentions). I dunno; we just had a stellar Formula 1 race full of drama and an epic 6-hour race at Watkins Glen with the IMSA WeatherTech Sportscar Championship, and what do we get in NASCAR? Bump.

Apologies to those that like that style of racing; just not for me. And neither is Kyle so there is that too.

To answer your question, I HATED THE WAY THE RACE ENDED. Cryle knew he couldn't beat Larson so he dumped him for the win.

6 hours ago, Pat 'The Blizzard' Thundersnow said:

To answer your question, I HATED THE WAY THE RACE ENDED. Cryle knew he couldn't beat Larson so he dumped him for the win.

I can’t stand both Kyles actually. Larson mostly is with some of his fans though. 

6 hours ago, PathfinderCS said:

I prefer to see a finish without a driver dumping someone for the win. Didn't like it when Austin Dillon did it or when Jeff did it to Matt back in 2006.

As for the other two, I wanted to see Kimi try to win it and as for IMSA, when they have fans that tend to mock NASCAR as I haven't heard enough of it already, I don't have a lot of interest in that.

20 hours ago, Chrysalis14 said:

I can’t stand both Kyles actually. Larson mostly is with some of his fans though. 

I prefer to see a finish without a driver dumping someone for the win. Didn't like it when Austin Dillon did it or when Jeff did it to Matt back in 2006.

As for the other two, I wanted to see Kimi try to win it and as for IMSA, when they have fans that tend to mock NASCAR as I haven't heard enough of it already, I don't have a lot of interest in that.

Jeff dumping Matt at Chicagoland in 2006 was payback for what Matt did to him at the end of the spring Bristol race. 

I know I don't follow the Xfinity series (my love for the sport only just came back last week) but that was probably one of the best finishes I've seen even though I only saw the final 10 laps because I had prior commitments. Hopefully the Cup race will be just as good, sucks that a cup guy won a race though.

Well that was a big day for me today having to watch 3 races on one day, NASCAR in the morning, Supercars in the afternoon and F1 at night, my very own version of the Triple Crown, lol. I would watch Indycar and IMSA tomorrow but you know, I got to sleep.

6 hours ago, Prospekt said:

Good luck getting into F1 if you have a two race ban on your resume. Someone has a lot of thinking to do. :dry:

And congratulations to Erik Jones for winning the Cup race last night!!!

I agree. Gonna be hard for that guy to find work in Formula 1 now.

And it was a heck of a race. Just wish Chase Elliott was there to finish the dang race.

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Prospekt said:

Good luck getting into F1 if you have a two race ban on your resume. Someone has a lot of thinking to do. :dry:

And congratulations to Erik Jones for winning the Cup race last night!!!

I was hoping an American driver would make it to F1, guess that's gotta wait for now.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Chrysalis14 said:

I was hoping an American driver would make it to F1, guess that's gotta wait for now.

Alexander Rossi should really have made it. :( He was great in the few races he did for Manor – he was actually pretty close to scoring a point at COTA!

But at least he seems to be having a nice career in IndyCar, even if he never got a proper chance in F1... :)

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Tacodidra said:

Alexander Rossi should really have made it. :( He was great in the few races he did for Manor – he was actually pretty close to scoring a point at COTA!

But at least he seems to be having a nice career in IndyCar, even if he never got a proper chance in F1... :)

The fact he did quite well in an uncompetitive car shows he would've made it in the right team and car.

• Brohoof 1