Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Black Panther and the Media praising it as "the most progressive movie ever"

Mesme Rize

4 hours ago, Denim&Venom said:

Black Panther being a milestone? 

Does nobody remember that these movies did that first?

Image result for blade trilogy

giphy.gif

Either the time when marvel wasn't yet famous or the time people forgot Blade is part of marvel. 

• Brohoof 2

17 hours ago, ShadOBabe said:

*rolls eyes*

Remember kids: You can’t like or relate to a character unless they have the same amount of melanin in their skin as you.

While it can be (and often is) exasperated, having heroes/characters that look like you on TV or in theaters does have a positive impact.

there's no harm done here, really. 

Edited by Olly
  • Brohoof 1

Found this video of Ben Shapiro, talking about "the most important moment in american history." :P

Spoiler

• Brohoof 1

I am ok with whatever movie they wanna make. But can they stop making Super Hero movies, i am just so sick of them literally :P. The plot is all the same, someone has super powers, it can do something amazing and wins the day. The end. I wish for once they could try to make something real or different. Like a movie that tries something else.

Edited by Sozu

Jesus christ, who cares. It's a good movie with a young and promising actor, a nice narrative, beautiful cinematography and a sick soundtrack made by Kendrick Lamar.

33 minutes ago, Duzzkey said:

Exactly, and people tirade it as if it's bad because black actors, or act like anyone who says anything negative about it is a racist.

It's not really because it has black actors in it that people get annoyed about, because most of the actors in it are very talented (especially a veteran like Forest Whittaker)

The problem i and alot of others have is that the media is rather selling this flick on the color of their skin, instead of the good acting, good cinematography, good story, etc.

And i do have seen people labeled racist for giving it a negative review. A film critic named Ed Power, who writes for the irish independent, was harshly criticized for giving it a 3/5

Spoiler

image.png.a52ebd1fde2d92b0b98b64f551774040.pngimage.png.b23b561508e2dd14b72901bf2bfa4fe6.png

image.png.8b4847c2195c69ea9f424a84f0f614fc.png

image.png.61eed17818eea4b25be1d3d66e8a3383.png

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Mesmelicious Rize said:

It's not really because it has black actors in it that people get annoyed about, because most of the actors in it are very talented (especially a veteran like Forest Whittaker)

The problem i and alot of others have is that the media is rather selling this flick on the color of their skin, instead of the good acting, good cinematography, good story, etc.

And i do have seen people labeled racist for giving it a negative review. A film critic named Ed Power, who writes for the irish independent, was harshly criticized for giving it a 3/5

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.a52ebd1fde2d92b0b98b64f551774040.pngimage.png.b23b561508e2dd14b72901bf2bfa4fe6.png

image.png.8b4847c2195c69ea9f424a84f0f614fc.png

image.png.61eed17818eea4b25be1d3d66e8a3383.png

There are people here who seem to have that problem with the movie, unless I'm reading posts wrong.

Edited by ~Dusky~

Just now, ~Dusky~ said:

I acknowledged that's a problem in the comment you had quoted, but I find it nonetheless hypocritical that some people seem to actually have a problem with this movie for that reason, unless that is of course unless I'm reading into somebody else's posts completely wrong. 

Well, i atleast can say for myself that i have no problem with that. I am sure the movie will most likely be a good time. :)

3 hours ago, Mesmelicious Rize said:

Well, i atleast can say for myself that i have no problem with that. I am sure the movie will most likely be a good time. :)

It will be a good time, because the vast majority of the actors are black.

Edited by SunriseGlimmer

24 minutes ago, SunriseGlimmer said:

It will be a good time, because all the actors are black.

I am sorry to hear that your enjoyment is based on the race of people. 

• Brohoof 4

34 minutes ago, Phill said:

I think @SunriseGlimmer is trolling 

I'm just playing devil's advocate. If anyone wants to be proven right, then they have to first overcome opposition. Yes, I am trolling to a degree. I personally disagree with the statements that I am throwing out there. But there are some people out there who would agree with said statements, and thus I ask to everyone: which side is right?

I also agree with wondering where the excitement was when Blade came out but I guess between then and the whole comic book movies becoming popular lately, it seems he has been forgotten.  I think we should relax and let people enjoy the movie.:kindness:

Bray Wyatt On Smackdown: Lesnar Will Bow To Me - Page 10 ...

Just an update:

I'm probably going to see the movie tonight. Afterwards, I plan on posting my thoughts here, so I can really dig deep into how "progressive" and "woke" it is. ;)

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it's written like any other superhero movie tends to be... since that has proven to be a great moneymaking strategy for Marvel in recent years! Who says Wakanda is much different from, say, Asgard in the Thor movies? It's fiction! It's imaginative! It's futuristic in nature! Who says the characters are going to be much different from your typical superheroes and villains? And you aren't racist just because you may recognize that.

• Brohoof 1

On 2/15/2018 at 8:10 PM, Thuja said:

I also agree with wondering where the excitement was when Blade came out but I guess between then and the whole comic book movies becoming popular lately, it seems he has been forgotten.  I think we should relax and let people enjoy the movie.:kindness:

Bray Wyatt On Smackdown: Lesnar Will Bow To Me - Page 10 ...

And it was rated R which limited it's viewing audience. 

And the film isn't progressive or SJW propaganda. It touches on some curious themes and has some surprisingly heavy subject matter for a Marvel movie. 

Warning serious salt coming up

It has a message, but one that fits the character and has already been addressed in the comics -- and that led me to a few thoughts while I pulled up reviews after seeing it. Some people have commented about some amusing similarities with Lion King due to some plot elements. 

Jesus Christ on a cross! Has anyone covering this film ever picked up a book written by anyone in Africa? Chinua Achebe wrote a famous one called Things Fall Apart. Black Panther the movie feels like some of those themes mixed with it's heavier comic themes. Progressive? You damn dirty illiterate uncultured bastards ... you write for a living ... did you not have to take a lit class or two in journalism school? 

And anyone that thinks this is progressive and somehow new, you are so not 'woke'. This film covers common themes of African literature ... so both sides of this are ignorant as hell. And those holding this up as some Progressive gold standard (and I realize it is a small small minority of the reviews) ... pick up a damned book once in a while the isn't written by a native English speaker. This shit isn't new!!!!

/)_-

And BTW it's a good film. The villain is definitely presented with more nuance than most. It's not my favorite Marvel film, but they definitely made a good flick. 

• Brohoof 2

I enjoyed Black Panther as a character in Civil War. He had a great character arc. However, ever since the announcement of the movie, the hype around it has been entirely cancerous. Those who have rallied around it have been so cocky that it's actually made me very disinterested in seeing the movie.

But now I see reviews calling it "Shakespearean". It's a Marvel movie, it isn't Citizen Cane or Casablanca. This is evidence that the media is putting this on a pedestal simply because it's a majority black cast. I'm sure it'll be a decent film, but I can't see it being more visually stunning as Doctor Strange, funnier than Thor Ragnarok or Guardians, or as well written as Winter Soldier. But calling it a "masterpiece" or "Shakespearean" is nothing more than a joke.

But can we address the fact that Wakanda is made up of nothing but conservatives? And that the biggest fans of Black Panther have a high probability of hating conservatism and those who hold conservative values? Can someone say irony? I mean, "Wakanda Forever" is literally "America First".

• Brohoof 3

5 hours ago, Prospekt said:

Just an update:

I'm probably going to see the movie tonight. Afterwards, I plan on posting my thoughts here, so I can really dig deep into how "progressive" and "woke" it is. ;)

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it's written like any other superhero movie tends to be... since that has proven to be a great moneymaking strategy for Marvel in recent years! Who says Wakanda is much different from, say, Asgard in the Thor movies? It's fiction! It's imaginative! It's futuristic in nature! Who says the characters are going to be much different from your typical superheroes and villains? And you aren't racist just because you may recognize that.

Well... looks like that won't be happening. Friends are being a pain, so we just didn't end up seeing the movie. Maybe sometime this weekend.

I'll still make sure to voice my opinion, though. ;)

• Brohoof 1