Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Black Panther and the Media praising it as "the most progressive movie ever"

Mesme Rize

On 16/2/2018 at 6:20 PM, King of Canterlot said:

Here's a new video by Paul Joseph Watson that tells you the TRUTH about this whole thing 

Any argument @SunriseGlimmer had has now been officially destroyed :proud:

The Alex Jones lackie...

His argument about Wakanda is particularly misinformed because the entire premise of the movie is about how Wakanda shouldn't be isolationist etc.

Has he even watched the movie? lol

54 minutes ago, Royce said:

The Alex Jones lackie...

His argument about Wakanda is particularly misinformed because the entire premise of the movie is about how Wakanda shouldn't be isolationist etc.

That's him alright.

I've only read plot summaries and seem to know more than he does, so probably not... :lol: 

1 hour ago, Royce said:

The Alex Jones lackie...

Regardless of Wakanda choosing to be more open at the conclusion of the film, the Wakanda that is introduced at the start is an insular, isolationist ethno-state.  In that much at least he isn't wrong.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...

"Worried it will hurt the sales of the movie" 

Black Panther is currently the 10th highest grossing movie of ALL TIME. Just saying. I know this post is months old but it's fun to look back on things like this and see how wrong people are sometimes.

• Brohoof 2

4 minutes ago, Pr0m4NV14 said:

Why are all the superheroes buff and stuff? Why don’t we have any superhero’s that are overweight, or having to deal with arthritis or other such things?

Lol

5 minutes ago, Pr0m4NV14 said:

Why don’t we have any superhero’s that are overweight, or having to deal with arthritis or other such things?

I actually skimmed through a comicbook that had a chubby superheroine. She was adorable.

All of this hollow praise towards the movie for having some 'progressive message' that it doesn't even seem to have, that is why I will never watch the movie. A movie isn't some ultra progressive work of art just for having a majority black cast, especially if it is just some mindless comic book movie. There's been so many different works of media by Africans in some capacity that could have easily gotten this praise, but instead it is some superhero flick. Pretty dumb. 

• Brohoof 1

7 hours ago, VoltWrecker said:

"Worried it will hurt the sales of the movie" 

Black Panther is currently the 10th highest grossing movie of ALL TIME. Just saying. I know this post is months old but it's fun to look back on things like this and see how wrong people are sometimes.

I never said it would, i just said it might.

I watched it and thought it was fine. It's just not what the media claims it is, which is revolutionary and "woke".

26 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

I never said it would, i just said it might.

I watched it and thought it was fine. It's just not what the media claims it is, which is revolutionary and "woke".

For black people and other people of colour like me, it's representation that's sorely needed. I'm guessing that 90% of the people in this thread are white or not black at the very least, and therefore can't really understand how it feels to actually have a big, major blockbuster (one that becomes one of the top grossing films of all time) that actually represents us. Yes there have been plenty of movies including PoC in them, even casts that are primarily PoC, but this movie is by far the highest grossing, the most popular, and one to put black people and PoC in a very positive light. So people can say it's "progressive bullshit" or whatever, but I don't think it matters for those it represents. 

• Brohoof 4

5 minutes ago, VoltWrecker said:

For black people and other people of colour like me, it's representation that's sorely needed. I'm guessing that 90% of the people in this thread are white or not black at the very least, and therefore can't really understand how it feels to actually have a big, major blockbuster (one that becomes one of the top grossing films of all time) that actually represents us. Yes there have been plenty of movies including PoC in them, even casts that are primarily PoC, but this movie is by far the highest grossing, the most popular, and one to put black people and PoC in a very positive light. So people can say it's "progressive bullshit" or whatever, but I don't think it matters for those it represents. 

Don't you think it's a bit racist in itself, that you need a movie that is for your people so that your life is fulfilled?

You know how we can actually end this debate about racial differences? Maybe just stop talking about it. I stop calling you black and you stop calling me white and we just refer to us as humans. Refering to black panther as a movie for a minority audience makes matters worse in my opinion.

• Brohoof 2

7 hours ago, Pr0m4NV14 said:

Why are all the superheroes buff and stuff? Why don’t we have any superhero’s that are overweight, or having to deal with arthritis or other such things?

Read 'Legend' by David Gemmell, a fantasy story about a man named Druss, not a superhero per se, but a man that has lived a lifetime in his own legend and is starting to suffer from the ravages of age (including arthritis).

6 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

Don't you think it's a bit racist in itself, that you need a movie that is for your people so that your life is fulfilled?

You know how we can actually end this debate about racial differences? Maybe just stop talking about it. I stop calling you black and you stop calling me white and we just refer to us as humans. Refering to black panther as a movie for a minority audience makes matters worse in my opinion.

The "let's stop talking about race and that will make all race problems go away" line is universally the "I don't want to talk about issues regarding race because they make me uncomfortable". In an industry like Hollywood where black people and people of colour are underrepresented, it's impossible to not make it a race issue. People, for some reason, have this obsession with taking things away from people when they have a reason to enjoy it, like what you're doing here. Black people finally see themselves represented on the big screen in a HUGE blockbuster movie? "You're just being racist". 

Also that clip with Morgan Freeman, and a lot of things that he has to say about black people, white privilege, etc. Is what we call "survivorship bias". One who makes it through hardships or simply never has any simply assumes that it's the same for everyone. 

I would keep going but it's pretty clear this thread is just a circlejerk for people who are angry that PoC are actually happy about something for once, so I'm just going to stop. 

• Brohoof 5

1 minute ago, VoltWrecker said:

The "let's stop talking about race and that will make all race problems go away" line is universally the "I don't want to talk about issues regarding race because they make me uncomfortable". In an industry like Hollywood where black people and people of colour are underrepresented, it's impossible to not make it a race issue. People, for some reason, have this obsession with taking things away from people when they have a reason to enjoy it, like what you're doing here. Black people finally see themselves represented on the big screen in a HUGE blockbuster movie? "You're just being racist". 

Also that clip with Morgan Freeman, and a lot of things that he has to say about black people, white privilege, etc. Is what we call "survivorship bias". One who makes it through hardships or simply never has any simply assumes that it's the same for everyone. 

I would keep going but it's pretty clear this thread is just a circlejerk for people who are angry that PoC are actually happy about something for once, so I'm just going to stop. 

Never said that i am angry about this and this dosen't look like a circlejerk to me.

But since you don't want to have a further discussion, i just leave it at that.

1256609__safe_edit_edited+screencap_scre

The fact that it's a movie with an all black cast is pretty important because it shows that a movie doesn't have to be whitewashed in order to be succesful. Wich is the argument a lot of people use to defenend the lack of minority actors in mainstream movies.

30 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

You know how we can actually end this debate about racial differences? Maybe just stop talking about it. I stop calling you black and you stop calling me white and we just refer to us as humans.

Yes. And after ending racism we should solve world hunger by not talking about it. Because if we're not acknowledging that people are starving then they're not, right?

• Brohoof 4

1 minute ago, Gestum said:

Yes. And after ending racism we should solve world hunger by not talking about it. Because if we're not acknowledging that people are starving then they're not, right?

You actually compare racial issues with millions of people dying? That's just not comparable at all.

Not all problems in this world are comparable to each other.

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Mesme Rize said:

You actually compare racial issues with millions of people dying? That's just not comparable at all..

Racial issues has caused the death of millions in history. Just look at the Nazis for an example.

Also my point was that you simply can"t solve a problem by just not talking about it.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Gestum said:

Also my point was that you simply can"t solve a problem by just not talking about it.

This is broadly true, but in terms of ideological differences excessive discussion (and action) can, in certain circumstances, actually exacerbate those problems.  Look at affirmative action for example, giving one group an advantage (real or perceived) over another is a sure way to cause resentment on the part of the group that is being disadvantaged, which only serves to increase friction between those groups.  The more race is made an issue, even with the best of intentions, the worse relations between races become, you only need to look at the massive degradation in race relations over the last few years to see that.

• Brohoof 1

Weird how white people only really care about relating to characters of different races when it is to tell members of marginalized racial groups that they are racist for being happy to see themselves be represented in popular media.

• Brohoof 2

Honestly, if you want a movie that truly is 'progressive', then it should have NOTHING to do with race at all.  It should be judged on it's merits as a movie - not a racial presentation.

Equality means NO ONE should have any advantage or detriment on each other.  Period.

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Concerned Bystander said:

This is broadly true, but in terms of ideological differences excessive discussion (and action) can, in certain circumstances, actually exacerbate those problems.  

Not ignoring an issue = excessive discussuion and action, apperently. 

1 hour ago, Concerned Bystander said:

The more race is made an issue, even with the best of intentions, the worse relations between races become, 

Except people aren't making race an issue, they're simply pointing out the situations where race is an issue. 

• Brohoof 3

2 hours ago, cmarston1 said:

Weird how white people only really care about relating to characters of different races when it is to tell members of marginalized racial groups that they are racist for being happy to see themselves be represented in popular media.

I think the problem lies is that people give more importance to a character's race, sexual orientation, etc; over.... I don't know... the actual character quality? Seriously, these things are given far more importance than they deserve, and we are telling everyone you can relate with a character ONLY if they belong to said things as you. An Agents of SHIELD example, I can relate to Coulson as much as much as Daisy (chinese american), or Mack (black), and I'm hispanic, and last time I've checked, I have yet to lose sleep over not having many hispanic in movies and such :dry:

• Brohoof 2

20 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

Seriously, these things are given far more importance than they deserve,

Honestly, if you ask me they're given less importance than they deserve by the majority of people. Alright, so perhaps minority representation in media isn't exactly the biggest issue in the world, but it irks me when people act like it doesn't matter at all. 

20 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

and we are telling everyone you can relate with a character ONLY if they belong to said things as you.

Nobody actually says that aside from a small minority. 

Edited by Yamet
  • Brohoof 3